Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
OK. According to the Campfire, Leupold & Vortex suck. I should be looking only at SWFA and Meopta. Any other brands I need to avoid or gravitate towards?

Scott,

I struggled with my decision on what to put on this rifle. Like I said, I REALLY like Leupold weight and eye relief. I've had SWFA SS on my Montana before it was rebarreled and it worked well, but I liked the Leupold better.

I rolled the dice and went with the Leupold, now I'm SOL 13days before I leave for my mule deer hunt. Really regretting not putting a SWFA SS 3-9x42 on here in the 1st place. The other FX3 that I had repaired earlier this year seems to be fine, but I'm not feeling lucky. Gonna go SWFA SS because they have been 100% reliable for me over many thousands of rounds fired.

No malice intended in this whatsoever:

I don't care what you buy/use. Simply reporting my experiences.

David

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David,

Was it the same rifle that killed both FX-3? Details on the Leupo killers? Rifle, cartridge, mounts, weight, etc?

I'd be interested in the diagnosis once you get it back from Leupo.

I went 100% SWFA and steel awhile back and don't regret it.

Jason

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
David,

Sorry buddy, not aimed at you. Your situation sucks. I don't blame you. Just seems to be so much backlash against Vortex and Leupold. Never owned a Vortex scope but most of my optics are Leupold & Weaver with two Zeiss and one SWFA. I haven't had issues but I'm not generally cranking on my dials.

All these Leupold stories have me really rethinking my recent VX3 CDS purchase. To your point eye box and light weight are key selling points for Leupold. I really like the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical that is a midway exclusive. I've had it on 3 different rifles at it always holds zero tracks well.

My buddy is having issues with his Leupold Scout scope. He is shooting 11" groups at 50 yards. All his rings are tight. He is a Leupold true believer and can accept the fact that it's probably his scope. I can guarantee it's not his Steyr.

Good luck on your hunt.

Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David,

Round count on the Leupo killing would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jason

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Th is kinda like everything else. Peoples experience varies, and shapes their opinions.

I am a Big Time Leupold Fan.

I would immediately sell any Kimber Rifle somebody gave me, and I wouldn't walk across the street to accept the gift . Others here worship at the altar of Kimber.

I feel soiled any time Im forced to even touch a Weatherby Mark V, but again others have great experiences with them.

This is truly a case of YMMV grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jason,

My other FX3 was on the Montana for about 1100 rounds - same Talley rings. I pulled it off to try a SWFA SS 6x42, prior to the rebarreling.

I moved the FX3 to my Benelli 30-06. Prior to putting the FX3 on there, this rifle wore a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 for ~1500-2000 rounds. The Benelli/Trijicon combo was my main weapon in an ongoing pig jihad that lasted for many years. We won many many battles, but ultimately lost the war. The pigs continued to over run our operating area in ever increasing numbers, seemingly unaffected by the mass slaughter - but I digress...

The Trijicon is still alive and kicking, tracks accurately (within its limited range of adjustment), returns to zero, stays zeroed. I decided I would try a less clunky optic on the Benelli and it killed the FX3 in about 100 rounds. The FX3 has made the round trip to Leupold and is back on the Benelli, about 100 rounds fired since then, seems to be working fine.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
Stick-
For those of us slower on the uptake, "Fixed Fhuqker" is the SWFA SS 6X? yes?

Yes. And the "illuminati" is the SS 1-4 by the same maker. Great scopes.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do you think it is the M1 turret that is causing the problem? Are guys having issues with the FX-3's that don't have turrets?

This thread has me a little nervous as I have one on order with the M1. I like the SWFA 6x but prefer the Leupold due to weight.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
...Any other brands I need to... gravitate towards?

Nightforce NXS. The 2.5-10x42 Compact is a nice "hunting" size scope and the NXS line has proven itself over the years. The 5.5-22x56 is a go to for targets and long-range big boomers. I've bought most of mine used and had no issues with any of them - ever.

My oldest NF NXS has many 1,000's of rounds over some bigger rounds, 7WSM's, 300 Win Mags, 338 Lapuas, and too many 308 rounds to count. It is still the one I use to check a new rifle.

I lost confidence in Leupolds years ago and have only a 4x fixed remaining, and that is just on a 22LR. I have a SWFA SS 6x. It is a great value, has proven to be reliable so far and will buy more, which I cannot say about Leopold anymore.

Overall, I prefer the NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x42.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick, you are obviously very knowledgeable about shooting, etc. But shall we say, your presentation of information is a little bit questionable.

Reading your posts does make me curious though. We have a very qualified member who obviously wants to show people how he is a good shooter, hunter, fisherperson etc. screwing up in the delivery of the information.

I understand you live in Alaska but I had not heard of Paradise Alaska. I googled it and they say it is a wedding chapel.

Anyway, I would like to met you in person. I get around Alaska quite a bit and maybe we could get together and go shooting some time. And not a match or anything, just a fun afternoon.

Let me know if you would like to do it.

And now I have to leave to chase bears.

PS How do you know if I am a woman or a man?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You guys who have bad experience with Leupold is like my experience with Burris. I purchased a .223 heavy 26" barreled Savage and installed a Burris Signature 8-32X. After about 2000 rounds the groups started opening up. Since I usually use magnums I figured the barrel was wore out and mentioned it to Bob at Bob's Accuracy Shop. He told me, "There is no way it is wore out in 2000 rounds. Put a different scope on it." I did. The first five shot group measured .312".

When the scope came back I reinstalled it on the .223. After a few range sessions I thought I must have installed it with the reticle canted so I corrected it. A few more range sessions and I noticed the same thing. Again I returned it to Burris.

During sighting in when it returned I went to adjust the windage. When I took off the cap, there was no turret to adjust. I looked in the cap: Viola! There it is!

They sent me a new one in the shrink wrap box so I could trade it at the store.

I installed a Burris 2 1/2-7X on my .454. Burris told me it could handle the recoil. It didn't last ten shots before everything was blurry. I sent it in for repair. It went blurry on the third shot. Again they sent me a new one in shrink wrap.

My 4-12X Fullfield fogged inside. They repaired it.

Good customer service. I don't do Burris anymore.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Big Stick, you are obviously very knowledgeable about shooting, etc. But shall we say, your presentation of information is a little bit questionable.

Reading your posts does make me curious though. We have a very qualified member who obviously wants to show people how he is a good shooter, hunter, fisherperson etc. screwing up in the delivery of the information.

I understand you live in Alaska but I had not heard of Paradise Alaska. I googled it and they say it is a wedding chapel.

Anyway, I would like to met you in person. I get around Alaska quite a bit and maybe we could get together and go shooting some time. And not a match or anything, just a fun afternoon.

Nobody really knows what you are anymore Root....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STS45
Do you think it is the M1 turret that is causing the problem? Are guys having issues with the FX-3's that don't have turrets?

This thread has me a little nervous as I have one on order with the M1. I like the SWFA 6x but prefer the Leupold due to weight.

No.

Leupold's lack of QC is the problem.

I've discussed this online for a few years. Wonky erectors (POA/POI) and canted reticles straight out of the shrink wrapped box.

The boys over at Hill Country Rifles have lost confidence in Leupold scopes. They've stated for the past several years that the scopes aren't what they use to be.

My experience (and Matt at HCR) is that if you send a scope in for a turret and/or reticle change, it seems to come back ready to go... but unfortunately too large of a percentage of those end up going tits up.

I personally no longer trust Leupold scopes, and have sent all but a few 6x42mm down the road.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by 14Homer

Nobody really knows what you are anymore Root....

What do you mean by root...?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Canazes9
This is the second one I've had go tits up this year. They don't seem to like having the turrets twisted. They don't like round counts that involve more than a couple boxes of ammunition a year.

Seems like their old scopes were built significantly better. I've lost confidence in them.

David

Are you willing to let me have a look at that scope? cool

It will be for sale in the classifieds as soon as it comes back from Leupold, you are welcome to it then the same as everybody.

David

Meh.

Pretty sure it will work great.

Sneaking suspicion is worked pretty fine before it went to Leupold. shocked

Funny how guys who have bad Leupolds don't want to let anyone else check out the scope. laugh

Amen to this statement!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Terryk,

Sillywet involves rather modest sight adjustments and the requisite erector travel is hardly anything at all,even with .125 MOA adjustments doubling the revolution(which I've always despised).

The 1" Reupold 6.5-20x is a long "honored" Sillywet glass and a screaming piece of schit to boot. They are amazingly tender and do not track for fhuqk in comparison to a Fixed Fhuqker. Further,Fixed Fhuqkers wear etched reticles and will have more moves remaining on their windshield,than a 6.5-20x does in it's remaining erector travel.

For Killing or anything else,I'm happy to leave variables behind and would much rather have a 6x42 than a 3-9x.............

'knees,

"Fixed Fhuqker" denotes any/all of the lineage that is Prime in nature. I've got 6,10,12 and 16's in MQ and all but the 16 in MD as well. You want MQ only,not so much due the erector's values,but the doubled subtension range(10 Mils instead of 5 for ele) and more tactile adjustments. It is easier for folks to drive a system who's erector is in synch with it's windshield and when everything extrapolates in lineal fashion.

6x is tough to whoop for Killing.............

'dallas,

Cheer up...Meopta sucks too.

A scope which doesn't allow one to arrange POA/POI intersections,is simply a worthless piece of schit. Meopta drops all balls and cain't connect a single fhuqking dot.

CDS is the cough Silencer of the Scope World.

Most folks is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-X'd and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy under savvied,on what do what and more importantly,why. They are in The Stone Age and lauding writing their initials on a rock wall,with a stick dipped in their own schit.

But it IS fhuqking funny!................(grin)

4th,

The Steel Fixed Fhuqker stance,is The Rock of Gibraltar....................

'gwe,

I shoot an open mind and daily.

Long ago,I learned to treat every new scope acquired,as being beyond suspect and they HAD to prove their merit to make the cut. Standard fare to send every Reupold to the Factory and have them gone through with ele turret added.

Lotsa schit gets culled,in sucha manner and I long ago perfected setting schit glass on a stump and shooting it with good glass.

Have yet to see a rifle not get better,with the swap to a Fixed Fhuqker going on board and can only comment in the firsthand,on a coupla dozen Montuckys that've seen the light.

Hint.................

'9,

You are gonna talk me into a 6x Fixed Fhuqker yet.............(grin)

'45,

When the dust settles,you is the only one that needs to be warm/fuzzy.

My faith in elder Reupolds is vastly superior,to their current "efforts".

Just (1) 6x42 Fixed Fhuqker poke on the erector and another on the windshield,would have you gathering goods for a Yard Sale.

Hint.............

'bird,

The 2.5-10x 42 NightFarce is their best effort.

I'm sooooooooooooo fhuqking done with variables..............

'Homer,

You suck a mean ass there Sugar Tits.

I reckon I'm yet again flattered,that a Drooling Dumbfhuqk felt compelled to Register,in order to try and rub elbows with me.

Bless your heart...............

Ringmam,

As Burris Woes go,I failed more Signatures than Fullfields...though never had an issue with their Pistole Glass n any form.

Only fhuqking Burris would go turrets AND PosiLock on the same scope. laughing!

The Stupid Fhuqkers are nearly as dumb as you.

Congratulations?!?....................

'bean,

Don't slight how "real" Imagination and Pretend are to her............

FO',

I retain some 6x42's,1" 3.5-10x's(A/O and non-A/O),30mm MK4 3.5-10x's in M1 and M3,MK4 M3 6x and MK4 M1 10 & 16x's. Not counting 3-9x Compacts,"regulars" and 12x Sillywets.

Would rather Fixed Fhuqk,over any of 'em.............

'700,

Purty easy to cypher what do what,with a Skookum platform and a first fhuqking clue.

Especially side by each.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Stick,

Though you seem to have a way of explaining things that may seem somewhat harsh your logic is rather difficult to ignore. Cant say as I've ever been disappointed in being led to water. grin

I just purchased a used Sako AV Finnbear 270 with a 9 1/2 twist barrel without a scope. I think I'll give the fixed 6 a go. They appear to be $299 from SWFA.

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. Mag confines are a generous 3.63 and lands and groves with a 140 AB are at 3.80 C.O.L. Was thinking about trying the LR 150 AB unless you have a different recommendation. THANKS

FOREST

Last edited by Forest; 11/16/15.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Forest
Stick,

Though you seem to have a way of explaining things that may seem somewhat harsh your logic is rather difficult to ignore. Cant say as I've ever been disappointed in being led to water. grin

I just purchased a used Sako AV Finnbear 270 with a 9 1/2 twist barrel without a scope. I think I'll give the fixed 6 a go. They appear to be $299 from SWFA.

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. THANKS

FOREST

You're about to be told you're a clueless dumbphuk for having bought a 270. grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Forest
Stick,

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. THANKS

FOREST

I'd wait till Black Friday. They usually do a deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hang on to Black Friday. Heck you might even see some new turret adjusters......

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.