Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
This is the second one I've had go tits up this year. They don't seem to like having the turrets twisted. They don't like round counts that involve more than a couple boxes of ammunition a year.

Seems like their old scopes were built significantly better. I've lost confidence in them.

David

Are you willing to let me have a look at that scope? cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
This is the second one I've had go tits up this year. They don't seem to like having the turrets twisted. They don't like round counts that involve more than a couple boxes of ammunition a year.

Seems like their old scopes were built significantly better. I've lost confidence in them.

David

It will be for sale in the classifieds as soon as it comes back from Leupold, you are welcome to it then the same as everybody.

David

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a twister, and ordinarily I don't do much adjusting, just enough to correct changes with wooden stocks and different loads every few years. I'm beginning to wonder if the old friction adjustments are more reliable than clicks. I just mounted an older vx-I 4-12 on my Vanguard and it seemed to follow the adjustments just fine. That scope's been on three different .308s, a .204, and now the .223; maybe a couple more I've forgotten. So far so good.

I also wonder if the dual bias-spring models like the VX-3, VX-R, and FX-3 Competition scopes are really better.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

David

It will be for sale in the classifieds as soon as it comes back from Leupold, you are welcome to it then the same as everybody.

David

Meh.

Pretty sure it will work great.

Sneaking suspicion is worked pretty fine before it went to Leupold. shocked

Funny how guys who have bad Leupolds don't want to let anyone else check out the scope. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Axtell
FX3 6x42 w/ M1, ~250 rounds on top of my 7mm-08AI Montana. Scope lost zero, won't hold zero, won't track. I really like the eye relief and the weight, but can't deal with the failures anymore. SWFA SS is going on this rifle, FX3 going in the classifieds when it gets back from Leupold...

David

Have one in the repair shop now for the same reason, similar round count.

Leupolds never go bad. Just AXme how I know that....
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Sometimes they hold up pretty good after the rebuild....

Throw an extra stitch in doc.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I admit to being a Leupold fan....

but recently I purchased my first SuperSniper in 12X....

gotta admit, I am not looking to purchase any Leupolds any time soon, but won't get rid of the 20 or I own...

but I do have plans for obtaining some more Super Snipers... in 6x, 10X and 12X....

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

David

David

Meh.

Funny how guys who have bad Leupolds don't want to let anyone else check out the scope. laugh

Of course John - you're one of the select few capable of telling when a scope that has hit precise POA over and over, dialed up and down and returned flawlessly hundreds of times suddenly can't hit the broadside of the barn. When I don't want to send my scope to you for evaluation I'm a moron.

GFY

[video:youtube]Mo78qm8k2LY[/video]

In the words of Ron White, I'm looking for a scope that holds zero, returns to zero and tracks properly even if you don't know chit about scopes. Funny how the SWFA's deliver on that day in and day out.

David

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...Of course John - you're one of the select few capable of telling when a scope that has hit precise POA over and over, dialed up and down and returned flawlessly hundreds of times suddenly can't hit the broadside of the barn. When I don't want to send my scope to you for evaluation I'm a moron.

GFY

David

Something about the optics forum just brings out the best in people.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had good luck with my Leupolds over the last 30+ years of shooting, including having a Vari X II 3x9 and a M8 6x42 that both have well over a 1000 rounds through them with no problems.

Here's a thought - While I do not twist turrets, it seems to me that many of the folks who have issues with Leupold's do. Could it be that they simply don't hold up like scopes that are purpose built to do this (i.e. like the SWFA SS scopes)? For example, if you did not frequently twist turrets on the Leupolds, would they hold up better?

Maybe Leupold's QC has slipped. I have a newer VX3 6x42, but that only has a few hundred rounds through it.

The SS scopes certainly seem robust by all accounts, but this has a cost in a heavier and bulkier scope. I am going to try one out myself.

Maybe the Leupold's slimmer size and weight are a design trade-off?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NTG
It's gotta be that heavy hitting caliber! smirk

A 7-08 Montana comes back at you a lot faster than your average 7 Mag.

The Leupold's that I've seen repeatedly break where on a lowly .284 Winchester XP-100. That one has a high recoil speed also.

Last edited by kciH; 11/14/15.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How much do you charge to fix them? I sent my VX6 into Leupold as it seemed to be giving 1/2 MOA adjustments in elevation and it seemed to be inconsistent in elevation. The elevation turret is mushy, while windage clicks just fine and seems to do what it is supposed to do. I have not had a chance to shoot it much since it got back, but the elevation turret is 100% the same, mushy, seemingly 1/2 MOA adjustments. Let me know how much and I may ship it too you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Sometimes they hold up pretty good after the rebuild....

Hopefully it will provide reliable service to its new owner.

David

I wish I had a need for that model. I'd make it easy for you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

David

David

Meh.

So you think the OP doesn't know how to use a scope or do you think he took to the keyboard for the sole purpose of discrediting Leupold? Either one seems highly unlikely to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why when I go out to shoot my 3-4 shots per year at 50 yards to check my Leupold scope to see if its "on" I always want to use a totally different factory ammo than I used last year and be sure my Leaper's max strength UTG mounts are a bit loose to mitigate any recoil damage. I always naturally blame Leupold which is the most expensive part of my POS busted stock rusted ass rifle set up.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I called Leupold repair center the other day and I was put on hold, #53 in line. Wow...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a rather exceptionally good run of luck with Reupold 6x42's and 3.5-10X's in both 1" and 30mm. Have rattled 1000+ rds of centerfire boltgun fodder through versions of each,in a single day.

Their newer stuff pales to the elder and I saw (2) of each(fixed/variable) puke,not long ago on Maiden Voyages. Last year was a rough one on same,as several pards had them puke on Hunts and those failures amongst others,transitioned all towards Fixed Fhuqkers in a mass exodus.

Have yet to see a Mark AR scope track worth a fhuqk,I had a 4.5-14x 30mm M1 puke on me not long ago(SAAMI 223 boltgun),have never seen a 4-12x or 6-18x worth a fhuqk...but have long had faith in a good sized herd of Mk4 M1 fixed glass(10's and 16x's),as well as a MK4 M3 6x.

I've had well over 100 Reupolds.

As of Today,I do not know a single soul who'd buy Reupold over a Fixed Fhuqker or Illuminati,who has shot 'em side by each. There's been a mass migration back to steel mounts too and folks are lettin' the LW's go. I'm at ease in being thankful for the fond memories,but Reupold doesn't have an answer to the Fixed Fhuqker,which isn't outright condemnation...because noone else does either. Hint.

It is rather intellesting to dangle 100yd vertical paper and run a glass through it's paces,to see how it's erector behaves and to extrapolate them findings side by each,amongst the ranks. Nothing is warmer/fuzzier than huge erector swings to POA/POI intersection,betwixt pokes and sadly,that sure as fhuqk ain't a 1" Reupolds' longsuit,nor close.

Now do Good Ones exist? Assuredly and it was a more common theme in elder versions,as per my spent primers and those I've gunned with. NONE of them are going to begin to hang,with a Fixed Fhuqker's erector splendor. Especially if windage is touched.(grin)

Reupold has been been maligned more than a bunch,by folks who actually shoot,in regards to their current-ish "efforts" and those facts is founded. Can you scoop an elder vintage 6x42 and M1 the bitch up and "get away with it"?!? You prolly might could and it don't take but a coupla pokes aboard a sound platform,to see where the dust has settled right outta the gate. Is it a far higher connect percentage,to reap the inherent advantages of a Fixed Fhuqker and never fret nothin'?!? Not yes,but FHUQK YES. That with copious fringe benefits that the Reupold cain't match,as well as suffering extry jingle in the pocket. Win/win/win.

Burns is a conniving Charlatan Snake and it'd be a fairly spectacular Duel,to watch her and Safarimam run & gun and fight for position,to fhuqk a Blue Haired Old Bitty...outta her last nickle,with a proprietary "deal" of "repute".

NOTHING brings more to the table than a Fixed Fhuqker and it cracks me up,when they flog on glass I've got,that cost 4x as much and offers less than 50% of the performance.

I could give a fhuqk less,as to who shoots what,I just enjoy Stupid Fhuqkers doing Stupid Schit and pawning it off as a well "thought" out "choice".

You've been led to water.

Hint.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot all Leupold because I don't know of a better alternative. I have shot silhouette for 20 years, and 95% of the scopes are Leupold. Silhouette is a clicking activity, and generally scopes are sighted in every match to account to temperature weather etc. Silhouette competition guys do not care about money in general, if there was a better all around scope they would be on the firing line. I don't think there is any brand loyalty. I plan on getting a 3-9 super chicken on black friday for the hell of it (for hunting). I am also thinking about a Zeiss or Swarovski, but it seems they have their detractors also.
I care about weight, clarity, clicks, and don't really care about cost.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Stick-
For those of us slower on the uptake, "Fixed Fhuqker" is the SWFA SS 6X? yes?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK. According to the Campfire, Leupold & Vortex suck. I should be looking only at SWFA and Meopta. Any other brands I need to avoid or gravitate towards?

Scott
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.