Home
Posted By: 16bore Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
Ad in the classifieds got me thinking about swapping the reticle in one of my M8 6x42's. What are you finding as far as pitfalls, etc? In particular it'd be for a 308 Montana with 130TTSX, 155 Scenars, and 178 ELDX, for conversation.

Are you zeroing your furthest dot and working back or what? Might just M1 and done.

Thoughts/experiences?
Posted By: rnovi Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I have a 6x42 FX3 with the LRD reticle on my 7mm RM. The dots roughly correspond to the drop of a 160 gr. Factory load.

I zero at 200, and the dots are +/- 1-2" out to 500 yards with no other work.

I have also built a handload tailored to those dots exactly.

Anyway, it's simple, easy to use, superb in design.
Posted By: aalf Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
Originally Posted by 16bore
Are you zeroing your furthest dot and working back or what?

That's one way. The other is to run the ballistics on your load/s vs the drops in the reticle.

On my 6x47 Lapua I run a 200 zero and the confirmed drops are on at 310, 420, and 530.

Not as difficult as some seem to make it.

Posted By: 16bore Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I'm thinking on a fixed 6x it'd be much easier than a variable. Love M1's, but thought I'd try something different for a change.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
The LR Duplex Reticle is the most worthless and unnecessary reticle I have ever used.

The 300 yard shot, the dot is worthless. Using a regular duplex reticle, sight in with a 250 yard zero and aim point of hair out to 300(+)

The 400 yard shot dot is unnecessary, just lay the horizontal cross hair of a duplex reticle scope on any deer or elks back.
That bullet will drop right into the kill zone every time.

The 500 yard shot, just use the bottom point of the duplex
which is basically what the bottom "dot" does anyway.

For me, all the extra clutter in the scope was nothing but baggage I didn't need.

I also found the Leupold dotz to be to large for what I want to do at longer distances.

LR Dots, unlike what SU35 said, are exactly as SU35 described his use of a regular duplex reticle. They are a combination of fixed points of reference and nothing more. Know your drops and you're good to go. This is exactly how my dad taught me to use a duplex reticle decades ago.

To answer the OP, when using such dot/ballistic plex type reticles, I start in and work out establishing my nearest value 100 or 200 first. As for pitfalls the only one I can think of, once again referencing SU35's post above, some people feel that anything more than a crosshair is busy, confusing, or complex. I've never had that problem; but, it clearly exists for some.
It lacks wind holds, which makes it of even less value to me.
Posted By: RWE Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
My only issue with the LRD compared to other Ballistic plex's is I prefer lines to dots.

Other than that, I feel naked using a scope without a few hash marks.

Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
They are a combination of fixed points of reference and nothing more.

"Training wheels" for the uninitiated.

Posted By: beretzs Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I like them. I had a 6X42 with the M1 on top along with the LRD. My thinking was that I would use the dial more than the dots and just use the dots for "quick" stuff.. The MSM lined up so well zeroed at 300 with a 160 AB at 3200 that everything else lined up perfect, or at least elk hunting perfect. Hardly ever touched the dial.

Hunted with a fella last fall with the same LRD in a 6X36 and he'd made sure his reticle worked the same for his MSM at his max ranges. Long story shorted, I Laser'ed the bull at 365, he put the first dot low on the bulls front leg, flopped over pretty quick. It isn't for everyone but for the hunter that uses a rifle for that 500-600 yard max shooting it is pretty slick and super simple.
Interesting stuff. LR is 500 for me and just playing at that. I don't wanna
shoot past 12" of 10mph drift. If that makes sense.

Posted By: Brad Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I've currently got 3 scopes with the LRD. Love it, including on the 308 Win. Have used them since they first came out.

My typical 165 gr. 308 win Load is something around 2.5" high at 100, crosshairs on at 225, first dot at 300, 2nd at 400, top of post at 500.

Best way is to start at 300 yards, and work backwards and forwards with actual range shooting.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
The LRD is amongst THE dumbest schit to come down the Pike and yet another Reupold Goat Fhuqk...you'd haveta go CDS to trump it's STUPIDITY.

The LRD is an archaeic arrangement of nonsensical smears on a windshield,that are not lineal,nor intuitive and totally less rhyme/reason. The LESS one "knows" or "shoots",the "better" it is. Hint.

HILARIOUS that STUPID Fhuqkers are flogging on distant paper,to corroborate that which stares them in the face and though it is absolutely schitty by design,is as simplistic to "figure out" as getting water outta the fhuqking tap.

Firstly,the assigned "values" are moot. All one needs to do,is set up 100yd paper,measure the subtention and apply same to any bullet,at any fhuqking speed and quit trying to get "cute" with IMAGINING that it do,sumptin' that it cain't(by literal design).

With a Three Oh Not-So Great and Killing,I'd simply net a 200yd zero at crosshair intersection. From there,I'd take the given projectile and it's speed and then simply extrapolate it's Physics,to the LRD Dumbfhuqktitude static. No thang.

You will KNOW exactly where POA/POI intersections align,before the first poke beyond 100yd paper and can cut to the fhuqking chase,with quantified subtension. These STUPID Fhuqkers trying to "outsmart" a LRD reticle,are 100% absolutely fhuqking HILARIOUS,because you know they are doing their "BEST"! Laffin'!

Save yourself the frustration of a Goat Fhuqk,simply acquire sumptin' good and apply a lineal scale that aligns with the erector and goodness oozes by default. If you don't/want need the Utility of the entire windshield,BFD...it ain't gonna hurt production or wither on the vine,that you are punching Tags above it's max latitude. Hint.

The 6x MQ absolutely destroys ALL things Reupold,in regards to POA/POI correlations. Tougher too. Hint.

The LRD is akin to buying a tree limb offa Ebay with a coupla notches in it and using it as a tape measure to build a house. Though in fairness,the LRD really is fhuqking more stupid than that. Hint.

No thang to sight in a 6x MQ with but a single shot and from there,if you know the aerform/velocity,you can do bidness in another zipcode on the 2nd poke. Rulers is handy.(grin) Hint.

I can only hand schit to folks on a silver fhuqking platter,but do NOT think I don't enjoy the schit outta it,when they piss up ropes.

Toldjaso.

Hint.

Laffin'!

(Addendum)

'slayer,it sure as fhuqk ain't a feelin',but is 100% FACT. Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't...but one of them groups is quick to confuse one with the other. Hint.

A Fixed power static reticles is an exceptional approach for unwavering constants,but reticle "matter" more than a smidge. So do boolits. Hint.

Funnier than fhuqk to me,that none of The Paper Hat Brigade can figure out,how to figure schit out and that poignant profundity,is a right proper Dichotomy. Hint.

Simply measure the fhuqking reticle's subtension at 100yds,apply them KNOWED values to a given boolit,at a given speed and rest assured that Physics is gonna connect them dots(literally). The LRD's undoing is in the relative sizing and subtention. It's like Fredrica,Savage99,Brad and The Counter Jockey combined their "knowledge" and went for the throat. LAFFIN'!

Though oh how I enjoy these STUPID Fhuqkers doing their best.

Hint.
Tell us how you really feel, Boxer.
Great to read some of you boys value the simplicity of fixed 6 x 42s. I have a couple Schmidt Bender fixed 6 x 42 with A7 reticle that work sweet for ranging. Can not afford SBs any more so Leupold is workable option and if you are so inclined to use the dots they will install to your specs in their 6 x 42s reasonable in custom shop.
I can't shake the M8 habit.
Let me interpret for my little buddy Boxer. He means well. Read through it all a couple of times and he pretty much agrees with what every body else said. He, like many who have responded, feel there is a better way. Really, for any newbie reading this, that is what he said.
Funny, I've killed out to 550 yards with the LRD, no problem. Some people have trouble with simplicity, hence long self-aggrandizing posts.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I've had a few LRD Leupy scopes, and still have a couple. They're not real precise though, and the subtension of the dots are fixed in place. You'd have to zero for a particular distance and either get lucky with the dots's subtension at desired distances (I'm too stupid to work with anything but nice, round numbers like 300 or 350, not 380 or the like and have to aim slightly higher or lower depending, especially when my heart is pumping and dealing with a moving animal) or tailor your load to the extent you can.

I found that even with a 200 yd zero and a .600ish B/C bullet at 2800 or so FPS, the two dots would only get you to about 325 and 400 yards...anything past that you had to guess where on the vertical crosshair between the bottom dot and the point where the crosshair thickens, which is imprecise at best. I don't see how folks reliably make 500+ yard shots with the LRD with any normal rifle/bullet loads.

It is nice to have zero worries about a scopes tracking reliability though...
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
Ad in the classifieds got me thinking about swapping the reticle in one of my M8 6x42's. What are you finding as far as pitfalls, etc? In particular it'd be for a 308 Montana with 130TTSX, 155 Scenars, and 178 ELDX, for conversation.

Are you zeroing your furthest dot and working back or what? Might just M1 and done.

Thoughts/experiences?

I zero the bottom dot at 400 yards and work back to 100.

Very simple and works great for a 400-450 yard max hunting rifle.

You really don't even notice the dots until you go to use them.

Long range sniper shooting....no, bad choice.

Uber simple hunting scope...yes, works great.

The "art of the practical" is lost on many...
I jumped off the looney train as it was headed nowhere....
" LRD Leupold Not real precise "

I agree with this statement as far as comparing optic clarity and reticle contrast with some other higher dollar stuff but for redneck 2-500 pokes a handy tool till one can upgrade.I've seen too many dial uppers cant even get their rig in a scabbard let alone get off a shot in time.

" Are you zeroing at furthest and working back? "

The LR or for that matter Z3 BHR Swarvorski can be real time consuming.Leupold fixed LRs are so reasonable and if 2-500 yds is all we need,or to tune a rifle seems like a great option.
I appreciate the suggestion starting furthest and working back, worth a try! Thank you.

Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I've lots of scopes that are better suited for LR shooting, but I gotta admit that a LRD in a 6x42 with the proper bullet selection can allow a lot of precision on big game, in an instant, out to 600 or so yards. And doing so while granting all of the benefits of a 6x42. It ain't my favorite, but with some practice it has a couple benefits on a hunting rig. I won't be getting rid of mine, but I'd admit that in a lotta instances there are better options.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
I have a LRD with a CDS turret. Top that...(grin)
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/10/17
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a LRD with a CDS turret. Top that...(grin)
Impressive, most impressive.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/11/17
I like simple things. I like the LRD in a fixed power scope. Nothing moving, nothing changing. I've used it with a 200 yard zero and I've used it with a 100 yard zero....either way, run the numbers to get your match ups for:

first dot = 2.19 MOA
second dot = 4.8 MOA
tip of picket = 7.82 MOA

...then shoot to verify and record it. It leaves holes, is limited on range, isn't anywhere near as exact as dialing, but it's simple, fast, and reliable. With a little bit of sense a person can fill in the gaps and do a lot with it.

It works well for what it is, it sucks if you're trying to make it something it's not.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/11/17
I like simple things.

I do too and the Duplex is even simpler than dotz and works just as well if not better.

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/11/17
Originally Posted by SU35
I like simple things.

I do too and the Duplex is even simpler than dotz and works just as well if not better.

A duplex gives you two possible marked aiming points, the intersection of the cross hairs and the top of the plex. The LRD gives you four...and the ability to subdivide within those ranges. If you're aiming for the intersection or top of the plex the duplex works just as well...but not better. Any thing other than those two and the duplex doesn't work as well....
Posted By: Brad Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/11/17
Hard to imagine anything simper than the LRD. And yeah, I used to use the duplex gyrations for aiming points. The LRD is simpler and faster.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/11/17
I'm glad it works for you guys, really!

smile

A duplex gives you two possible marked aiming points, the intersection of the cross hairs and the top of the plex. The LRD gives you four..

And two is simpler than four, I just use the animals body.

Do you really use the 300 yd dot?
Just sent my m8 6x42 back to Leupold today.
Lrd, be comin back !
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/12/17
I'm glad it works for you guys, really!

smile

A duplex gives you two possible marked aiming points, the intersection of the cross hairs and the top of the plex. The LRD gives you four..

Yes sir. This was at 300 using the first dot while fireforming a couple of years ago (zero'd at 200). Moved back to form loads again just a couple of weeks ago and the same rifle is zero'd at 100 now with the first dot matching 235 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 16bore Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/12/17
TMOA seems a better idea. If it's doable.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Huntz Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by Brad
Funny, I've killed out to 550 yards with the LRD, no problem. Some people have trouble with simplicity, hence long self-aggrandizing posts.

grin
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/13/17

I have two of the LRV (just a finer reticle) on a .222 and .17-222 used for ground squirrels. Considering the average target is smaller than a water bottle and half the time they are laying down, the extra elevation substensions are very useful for 250 yards and beyond. My first shot hit ratio is significantly higher than when I used a duplex or target dot. I have no desire to be twisting knobs either when you are trying to get off 3-6 shots a minute sometimes.
There are some less than flat-shooting calibers that could benefit from the LRD on big game too.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/14/17
'mule,

The S&B A7 is doing you no favors,but it's humorous to read that you "think" it do.

Hint.

Laffin'!

TheBitchingSniveler,

Funnier than fhuqk,that you've enough Imagination and Pretend,to "think" that you could begin to speak for me. Kudos on having such lofty Delusions and the sweet "satisfactions" associated with shootin' for the stars...you "lucky" kchunt.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

Brad,

I getta kick out of you TRYING to "talk" about boolits,glass and anything else.

What were the "odds" that someone who "thinks" they are so "steeped",is totally oblivious to their Incredible Fhuqking STUPIDITY and less a single fhuqking clue,in regards to the subtention that is static. I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that your convoluted Window Licking arranges you to have the keen "insight" to do business in the backdoor,if only as per your always. You really should start filming your DUMBfhuqkery and "explain" how your Delusions are so "real" to you. Laffin'!

Funnier than fhuqk,that a coupla archaeic scratches on the glass,enthrall you in sucha manner and grant you so much CLUELESSNESS in a single pitch. Jeezus Fhuqking Christ,your Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkery NEVER disappoints in it's oblivious splendor!

Cheer up,Bill Dixon sluiced a Gut Eater at 1538yds with open sights too. I could not begin to tell anyone with a straight face and in fairness,that 6x Reupold LRD subtension,is a sound path from which to arrange 550yd POA/POI. That especially with the chamberings/boolits cited. You'll haveta pardon my having got/shot a far greater spectrum of platforms than you've ever seen or heard of and far more glass to reflect upon too...as well as an obscene number of rounds. Understatement. Hint.

Anywhoo,as Reupold offerings go,the LRD is simply a hilarious Window Licker's Ruse.

Your best,never ain't not fhuqking hilarious! I enjoy you talkin' out of your ass,under the auspice that you "know' what the fhuqk you are talking about!

Now you can say you've "seen" an MQ reticle...you "lucky" kchunt.

[Linked Image]

Gots me a "hunch" than I can dig on the MQ,well beyond the 1500yd line. Not that you'd "know" what a Mil is,let alone a lineal scale,nor savvy the sanctity of an erector being in sync with an erector,noir a FFP Spotter conjoining same. mainly because you get giddy about a coupla STUPID arbitrary swipes on the windows you lick. Hint. Laffin'!

1500yds and small change here. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You are "educated" wayyyyyyyyyyy above your "intelligence". Be sure and "tell" me more,you poor poor STUPID Fhuqk.

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

'Inman,

Static is a GREAT constant. Arbitrary constants are nothing more than funny.(grin)

It takes only seconds to corroborate subtension at the 100yd line,KNOW their values and apply it to the trajectory curve of ANY boolit,at ANY speed. A coupla stupid marks on the glass,a good reticle it do NOT "make". The hilarity is copious,due the "engineering" and Stupid Fhuqks who "think" it's sumptin'.

As you cite ala Physics,the subtension values are trite in spacing,gross in sizing and less any fhuqking rhyme or reason. It is TRACT stupid.(grin)

A lineal scale kicks all doors open and allows finite holdoffs,for both trajectory and windage,as well as a means to quantify an objects size or range. The LRD is akin to grabbing a muddy rock and using it as a scale Check Weight. Laffin'!

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Bless their hearts.

Laffin'!

Sammo,

Mebbe you and Brad can hook up and Produce a video on how to TRY and get water outta a tap?

It'd sell like hotcakes,with you STUPID Fhuqks' version of "knowledge","experience" and "results".

I'm fhuqking cryin'...I'm laffin' soooooooooo hard.

You Fence Hoppin' Flatlanders are a fhuqking HOOT!

Wow +P+++!

Laffin'!

'SBC,

Subtention ain't subjective and at least on a Fixed,it is static...which IS soothin'.

The LRD simply don't offer any good moves,none of which is subjective and due the fact that said values are not lineal. Veddy veddy intellestin',that none of the LRD Cherleaders can cite said subtention values,which is more than a touch revealing and of course does Reality no favors.

Pass the superior mechanical mechanisms,huge travel,rock solid zero retention,absolute repeats and lineal scaled etched reticle which is unwavering in it's superiority.

I'll HAPPILY trade Reupold LRD Fluff,to reap MQ sanctity and all of it's advantages,that are less concession. Pass the aforementioned 200yd zero,Beaver Dope in the scope and 10 Mils of etched windshield. Movers(changing distance),lead(horizontal moving Victims),wind holds,ele and all are a fhuqking cinch,less single concession.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Have seen me do it.(grin)

'CUBIC,

Ahhhhhhhh....finally someone that shoots and can cite subtention.(grin)

Apparently to Window Lickers 2.19 MOA, 4.8 MOA and 7.82 MOA subtention values are "soothing". Laffin'!

Tough for them who actually shoot,to get giddy about less than two anda half fhuqking Mils of Ele "ability",on a dog schit reticle. Even THE schittiest of mil reticles,offer 5 fhuqking Mils...though the MQ "only" coughs up 10 Mils.

I getta kick outta them that are gonna back up,lick glass and get "tricky" with something sooooooooo fhuqking amazingly STUPID,as a reticle housing such subtension values. FUNNY schit!

Simply reap a 200yd zero with the chamberings thus far cited,extrapolate drop to subtension and prpare to be disappointed in a sub 8MOA "correction" aboard a schit reticle. None of which is fhuqking "subjective"...though 100% HILARIOUS!

Poke a CDS on the bitch,to take Hilarity to TRACT levels.(grin)

'35,

Sadly,Reupold don't make a reticle worth nearly a fhuqk in their best pitch,which is the 6x42.

Pass the duplex and M1 ele there.

Easy for me to say...I shoot it all.(grin)

'matic,

Are you Bitching or Bragging?!?

I know which one you SHOULD be doin'...but it's funny that you ain't.

Better luck next time.

'bore,

I'm thinkin' you just MIGHT be onto sumptin',with a lineal scaled reticle.(grin)

Get the erector talkin' the same language and all dots are connected by default and dat's the ONLY way to do so. All other paths are a series of concessions,guesses and dumbfhuqktitude.

A 4x Illuminatti DESTROYS Reupold's LRD and most of their other reticles. Subtend X's to jive with the Mil Scale(all of mine are at 4X to yield that confirmation)mpin the bitch in place and it'll happily reach wellllllllll beyond the 1000yd line with vastly superior Precision to any/all thangs LRD.

No thang to breakdown into tidy Mil portions and I've a hunch I do so daily. 60 + Mils of erector travel,with 10 more on the windshield,prolly don't suck. Nor does Illumination. Hint.

900yd line here.

[Linked Image]

I've seen it be handy.

[Linked Image]

'Course they are 6x42 light too.

Hint.

Huntz,

I getta kick out Brad doing her best too...mainly because it is JeffZero fhuqking FUNNY!

Bless her heart.

'ig5,

The LRV is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit too.

It is fraught with LRD STUPIDITY,due the facts cited.

I hear through The Grapevine that the MOA Quad reticle prolly affords 40 MOA of etched subtension,is a breeze to breakdown into portions of same and absolutely crushes all thangs 6x Reupold. Though it's funnier than fhuqk that Clueless Kchunts swoon a "whopping" 7.82 MOA crayon mark on their schit reticle. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

The MilQuad is superior and far more intuitive.

You DUMB Fhuqks have been led to water and pun be intended.

Funnier yet...when you are too STUPID to drink it.

Easy for me to say,I shoot it all.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Posted By: pointer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/14/17
Originally Posted by Boxer

[Linked Image]

I'd love to be able to get that reticle without the ranging marks above the center, but with the illumination, in a fixed 6X.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/14/17

You DUMB Fhuqks have been led to water and pun be intended.

Funnier yet...when you are too STUPID to drink it.

Easy for me to say,I shoot it all.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

I don't want to drink ANYTHING you've been imbibing in.
You see Boxer's post above? Look it over closely. This is a classic example of how most of us (sycophant suck-ups not included) don't give him enough credit. Do any of you realize how difficult it is to take the amount of time necessary to create posts like this? I know the insults and general content are the same all the time. But look at it. I challenge you to type something similar, and repeatedly.

The mental gymnastics involved in intentional misspellings alone is almost mind-boggling and must be appreciated. The consistent intentional lack of grammatical integrity is something to be admired. For those of us who've been around awhile we can recall that, at one time, Boxer aka Big Stick typed normal English like the rest of us. It's no secret. He's done an intentional makeover which started about 6, 7, maybe 8 years ago. Yes, it accelerated a few years ago.

I'm telling you, the mental grunt-work necessary to intentionally type these things, sitting at one's keyboard, gritting one's teeth, thinking, back spacing, editing, re-typing to get to such a masterpiece of verbal mumbo-jumbo needs to be understood. We should all appreciate the hours of time necessary for him to bless us each day with his limited one post of extreme entertainment.

I told you Boxer/Big Stick, I'm the one who always sticks up for you little buddy. I hope you are well.

Bitching Sniveler? Hah, you crack me up you clever guy you. Imagining and Pretending.
Posted By: starsky Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/14/17
I don't know how it gets any "easier" and "simpler" than known quantities on your reticle. Whether it be MQ, Mil-Dot, MOA Quad, MOAR, MIL-R, illuminati reticle, etc....
BOXER ~

I actual have learned to glean some of your knowledge from your
way with words. In same respect you seem to portray your years of
shooting in your world. Other opinions may not be shooting paper
or communicating hunting your terrain. I actually plan on trying
one of your scope suggestions.But this original post was about LR
reticle which we lame ones actually know are not nuts on precise but
in many elk/deer areas in 200-500 ground put a lot of meat on the
ground. The schmidt Bender A7 reticle is even simpler so I see why
you can not relate to it. Euroopics who know a little about scopes
taught me years ago how the A7 reticle can used as a range finder.
Three years ago I was hunting rolling open high desert for elk.
First light spotted a herd bull with 9 cows at a fast walk down
into rolling hills. After burning my lungs out trying to get with
in the sweet 200 - 500 yds. they stopped. The bull was nervous and
was not going to stay long. I looked at the 6 point rack clearly
with the Bender and befor I would even dream of setting the rifle
down to dial or range I could see his nose tipping up to catch my
scent. He was stepping out as I could be from the relation of his
big body to the A7 fat left reticle he was mine,shot and fell. I
am game to trying your or any suggested reticles in fixed power for
most have there place. Thanks for the Laffin! Mule
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/15/17

Sammo,

Mebbe you and Brad can hook up and Produce a video on how to TRY and get water outta a tap?

It'd sell like hotcakes,with you STUPID Fhuqks' version of "knowledge","experience" and "results".

I'm fhuqking cryin'...I'm laffin' soooooooooo hard.

You Fence Hoppin' Flatlanders are a fhuqking HOOT!

Wow +P+++!

Laffin'!

The MilQuad is superior and far more intuitive.

You are TOTALLY out of line.

Evidently Sika Deer is no longer moderating this forum.

We all know this rage and anger isn't just about the Leupold LR reticle.

There's more to it than just that.....

Posted By: Seafire Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
You see Boxer's post above? Look it over closely. This is a classic example of how most of us (sycophant suck-ups not included) don't give him enough credit. Do any of you realize how difficult it is to take the amount of time necessary to create posts like this? I know the insults and general content are the same all the time. But look at it. I challenge you to type something similar, and repeatedly.

The mental gymnastics involved in intentional misspellings alone is almost mind-boggling and must be appreciated. The consistent intentional lack of grammatical integrity is something to be admired. For those of us who've been around awhile we can recall that, at one time, Boxer aka Big Stick typed normal English like the rest of us. It's no secret. He's done an intentional makeover which started about 6, 7, maybe 8 years ago. Yes, it accelerated a few years ago.

I'm telling you, the mental grunt-work necessary to intentionally type these things, sitting at one's keyboard, gritting one's teeth, thinking, back spacing, editing, re-typing to get to such a masterpiece of verbal mumbo-jumbo needs to be understood. We should all appreciate the hours of time necessary for him to bless us each day with his limited one post of extreme entertainment.

I told you Boxer/Big Stick, I'm the one who always sticks up for you little buddy. I hope you are well.

Bitching Sniveler? Hah, you crack me up you clever guy you. Imagining and Pretending.

one of the things you left out, that people don't get Stumpy credit for.....

Let them try to type and spell on a long post like he always does, when they are so drunk they can barely sit up in the chair, or pass out....

That's one thing that is good about Stumpy being short... when he passes out he doesn't have far to fall....so he doesn't hurt himself as much as someone say 6 ft would....

he's far from the only campfire member that posts, when they are in the bag... but I maintain, Stumpy is usually the most in the bag when compared to the others...

Another reason that makes Stumpy so AWESUM!!!
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
I've neve used the leupold.

But I have the vortex HD LH on my .308 adriondack. Same concept, probably better execution.

At max magnification (8x) the dots are at 2.5, 4.5 7.5 and the top of the post at 11 MOA. I ran the numbers and drew a little chart on my computer and stuck it on the stock pack. Simple, fast and efficient for sub 500 yard shots where "Minute of Hog" acccuracy is required.

Not perfect, but it works:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 65BR Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
Wow +P+ smile

This thread proves there's more ways to skin a 🐱 hint re-hint. Lol

Use what works. Some reticles meld better to a persons eyes, logic, and application better than others. A hunter must decide what is their self-imposed "max" LR shot. My longest WT deer was taken in a few seconds of it pausing in field after trotting out. Pasted my 4200 mil-dot where prior range sessions taught me and double lunged at 400 LRF. I know that's rock throwing distance for some out West and in the last great frontier. But my 6BR made it a chip shot -'and Kepplinger trigger via old school Ruger falling block. I did employ a secret 105 AMAX using AMP. Bullets do matter wink

It's all about K.I.S.S. - just use what Your experience has taught you in range sessions. There are many paths to success. Oh, and have fun while doing it. Life is too short not to- and for endless mental M.......
Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
Originally Posted by Mjduct
To perfect, but it works:

[Linked Image]

I've used the LRD reticle in the Leupold with success but it matches my .270 with 140s pretty well. Just adjust the sight in height and the dots are pretty close to 300, 400, and top of lower post to 500. If I had to paste a diagram to my gun that correlates odd distances to hold over marks, I'm out.... Just give me a turret.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
Maybe Leupold will install a windplex sideways...
Posted By: pointer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/16/17
That can be a DIY change...
Originally Posted by pointer

I've seen that done to get more travel in a certain direction on goofy mount setups.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/17/17
pointer,

If given a choice on the reticle,I'd side with you. Made an order yesterday and passed on the DMR MQ and went "vanilla" MQ on a 3-15x SFP Giggles Glass(thinkin' I might have a niche for it on an Alexander Arms 17HUMMER).

The Illuminatti pinned to subtend along with the erector,really is a boolitproof/foolproof system and it's illumination is sensational,in all regards. The rheostat rocks,as do the extry battery holder.

Exceptionally well thunked design.

'zig5,

Facts ain't for everyone. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

TheBitchingSniveler,

Killer Vagina Monologue. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

starsky,

It assuredly do NOT get any more SIMPLISTIC,nor Precise...to have the windshield and erector in 100% sync,upon a lineal scale.

Or faster.

Sammo,

I've zero doubt that your innate STUPIDITY,causes you more than just rage and anger. Congratulations?!?

Funnier than fhuqk however,that you "think" your Incredible Stupidity do anything to anyone else,other than crack them right the fhuqk up. Hint.

Did you two Whining Kchunts combine your "resources" and make a down payment on the new Spotter yet? I realize it's wayyyyyyyyyy above your paygrade,but a FFP Spotter reticle that jives with a goodly sized herd of riflescopes,just might connect dots too. Hint.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Zeiss could not begin to hang,in dot connection. Re-hint.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

I reckon like as per always,the astute are listenin' and shopping in accordance,with TRACT and Reupold LRD being amazingly farrrrrr offa da' List. Though you are welcome to try and "convince" yourself,that which you most NEED to hear.

Hint.

Laffin'!

'mule,

Concessions is NEVER "advantages" and you'd be lightyears ahead,if you simply shook your head to and fro,to erase everything you "think" you "know" about POA/POI arrangement,simply took notes and applied same. Hint.

With the first shot,all dots would connect by default. Hint.

Now of course ANYTHING with a reticle,can be used to subtend with...but assuredly not all reticles are equal,nor close. The LRD is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit,as is the A7. None of which is "subjective". Hint.

A lineal scale will size Beasties,correlate distance,dope trajectory and slide wind...all with a subtle gawk through the windshield. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You "give up" nothing and gain EVERYTHING. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Shefire,

Here's to the perpetual HILARITY,of you doing the best that you can,with what incredibly little you "have" to work with. And you wonder loud,long and often...why you are an Opiate Addled Candy Striper who cleans bed pans for a "living". What were the "odds"? Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart,you ass sucking Drag Queen.

Laffin'!

'duct,

A GOOD reticle would have you tossing that Vortex piece of schit,offa cliff.

Again...you give up nothing and gain EVERYTHING. Hint.

Just sayin'.

'BR,

Not everything is equal and when extrapolatin',it is only fair to quantify the peckin' order and the why/what of them facts.

Lotsa folks voted Democrat too and are still convinced they were "right".

FUNNY schit!

As an aside,I'm hopin' my Lapooey 6BR brass arrives today,so I can start floggin' on that 28" bitch,get some speeds and start whittlin' 'er down to happiness. Hate to gun used brass in the bitch,so won't.

Lapped lugs last night and will headspace the new spout,to the new Lot of Virgins. I reckon it'll prolly shoot.(grin)

Film at 11:00.

'heider,

When the windshield and turret talk the same language,the dope is the same for either/or...as well as a melding of the two. Lotsa folks are quick to overlook that constant. Hint.

It is handier than fhuqk to toss in X amount of ele ala the erector and then chase distance/atmospheric changes with the windshield. Especially in Rimfire Pursuits and talkin' Movers. If there is a herd of sumptins at 267yds,that is no thang to hastily dope via turet and from there...one can deal death while correcting changes with the windshield,to the extent of 15 Mils. If sumptin' comes close,you've 5 Mils above the crosshair intersection to contend them changes and as distance increases,there's another 10 Mils laying in wait below. Nothing is more intuitive. Doubly so when corrections are housed in the ocular and staring you in the fhuqking face. hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nobody can fhuqk such utterly reliable SIMPLICITY up.

Hint.

'bore,

All Reupold's gotta do,is paste a holdoff reticle in their 6x42,that jives with it's erector. I'd want it .25MOA wearing M1's,as I'm more than a touch "comfy' with that water under the bridge. Sumptin' akin to SWFA's MOA Quad reticle,would simply crush all this LRD and CDS fhuqking bullschit.

I've called more than a bunch,beating that drum,but they are enthralled with Mall Ninja Bullschit instead of Meat & Taters Utility.

Fhuqking shame +P++!

Like, rotate scope 90 degrees in the rings so elevation becomes windage and vice versa?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/17/17
As in turn it inside the tube when they replace the duplex
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/17/17
[quote=Son_of_the_Gael
Like, rotate scope 90 degrees in the rings so elevation becomes windage and vice versa?[/quote]

Exactly, and if you do it right your adjustment dials will be accessible, do it wrong and one willl be pointed straight down toward your action :]
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/17/17
Boxer, with all do respect, you obviously know your stuff and have some serious trigger time and opportunity to learn the intricate details of your equipment and document it to the degree where you can do some amazing things, REPEATABLY I'm jealous!!!

but in your own words:

Hint.

Thats kinda how I feel about drop-dot scopes.
The erector worked enough for me to zero it it in with predictable adjustments, true it probably won't dail me to 1000 yards, but I'm not asking it to.

I got it wherre I wanted it and I put the caps on and left it, and in practice, it does what I need it to do, the difference is I'm not relying on a mechanical fucntion to work (it should work all the time, but it is mechanical, and at some point it WILL fail you). I am not going to take a 700 yard shot at critters, so my dots work for me, they are all "minute of vitals" for my <6lb hunting rifle. True I got "fatter" guns with FFP christmas tree reticles that I can do some cooler schit with at longer ranges, but when putting meat in the freezer, I don't want to be thinking about all that, nor counting and twisting, when something walks out between 2 cedar trees, I wanna hold and drop the hammer before it gets to the next tree... wheter it's 280 or 310 yards really doesn't matter as long as I can get the BB in the BreadBasket.

I know it's not sexy, but it works!!

Just like she said!!!

No doubt your system is more precise, and more usefful over longer ranges, (as is my christmas tree) but drop dots are FASTER in my hands, at my ranges, and those hands unfortunately are the ones I have

Different tools for different jobs. I'm sure the marketing guys at REUPOLD did their homework and found somethign that would sell to the masses, I think this forum is probably the top 2% of hunters as far as attention to equipment and accuracy go, and a certain percentage of members are in the top 2% of this crowd, and have an understanding, and need for things things that no profit desiring entity could rationally build a prodict for...

I've owned US optics scopes where I could sight in and then re-center the erector tube and turn the giant ass ERIC knob to dial, but I sold them because alot of that utility was lost on my type of shooting. I'd rather have the $$$ and lighter weight stuff.
Boxer, with all do respect, you obviously know your stuff and have some serious trigger time and opportunity to learn the intricate details of your equipment and document it to the degree where you can do some amazing things, REPEATABLY I'm jealous!!!

but in your own words:

Hint.

Thats kinda how I feel about drop-dot scopes.
The erector worked enough for me to zero it it in with predictable adjustments, true it probably won't dail me to 1000 yards, but I'm not asking it to.

I got it wherre I wanted it and I put the caps on and left it, and in practice, it does what I need it to do, the difference is I'm not relying on a mechanical fucntion to work (it should work all the time, but it is mechanical, and at some point it WILL fail you). I am not going to take a 700 yard shot at critters, so my dots work for me, they are all "minute of vitals" for my <6lb hunting rifle. True I got "fatter" guns with FFP christmas tree reticles that I can do some cooler schit with at longer ranges, but when putting meat in the freezer, I don't want to be thinking about all that, nor counting and twisting, when something walks out between 2 cedar trees, I wanna hold and drop the hammer before it gets to the next tree... wheter it's 280 or 310 yards really doesn't matter as long as I can get the BB in the BreadBasket.

I know it's not sexy, but it works!!

Just like she said!!!

No doubt your system is more precise, and more usefful over longer ranges, (as is my christmas tree) but drop dots are FASTER in my hands, at my ranges, and those hands unfortunately are the ones I have

Different tools for different jobs. I'm sure the marketing guys at REUPOLD did their homework and found somethign that would sell to the masses, I think this forum is probably the top 2% of hunters as far as attention to equipment and accuracy go, and a certain percentage of members are in the top 2% of this crowd, and have an understanding, and need for things things that no profit desiring entity could rationally build a prodict for...

I've owned US optics scopes where I could sight in and then re-center the erector tube and turn the giant ass ERIC knob to dial, but I sold them because alot of that utility was lost on my type of shooting. I'd rather have the $$$ and lighter weight stuff.

Well designed Mil based reticles can be used as a BDC, and a lot more intuitively than the "230, 371, 464, 592" nonsense that people "think" is "easy".

What is the bullet and speed particulars of the above stated rifle that works so well with a BDC reticle?
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
I posted a pic earlier but I'm shooting 165 game kings at 2550 out of a Kimber adirondack .308

The marks don't line up at 200, 300, 400 but neither do most of the animals I shoot at.

smile

It's nice to have some reference to be able to SWAG holdovers with. More precise than a plain duplex or #4. Quicker than dialing in elevation, and I can see it a lot better in low light situations than my Horus style "Christmas tree" reticles.
Posted By: pointer Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Like, rotate scope 90 degrees in the rings so elevation becomes windage and vice versa?
Yep! wink
Posted By: RinB Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
I agree with su35's first post
Posted By: RinB Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
I don't like the LR because of the dots. Long ago I read that a dot draws the eye away from a line. For multiple marks, I prefer the Burris reticle.
Still, on BG out to 440 I prefer the wide duplex. Any longer and I sneak closer. I call it stalking/hunting. After all, It is just a game for fun.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
Originally Posted by starsky
I don't know how it gets any "easier" and "simpler" than known quantities on your reticle. Whether it be MQ, Mil-Dot, MOA Quad, MOAR, MIL-R, illuminati reticle, etc....

Dude, I have about 6 hunting rifles that are all set up the 'same'.

Zero at 200 yards, next dot/line is 300, next is 400, 500....

Beyond simple and basically intuitive.

270's shooting 140's at 3000fps match fine with most training wheel holdover points. 243's and 300 WSM's do as well.

I can't remember chit and don't practice enough to be going to charts/turrets for hunting.

Aim and shoot out to 400-500 yards is all I need or want.

Not a long range target shooter and I think that's what confuses the snipers.

Just going out deer hunting, not shooting fuuckin' hummingbirds at 982 yards in a 31 mile per hour crosswind.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
SamO, I couldn't agree more. I set up a McWhorter 7-08 with a Leupy B&C (first for me) and zero'ed the reticle at 215 (2" high at 100), next hash is 300, next is 400, then 450, and top of thick post is 500. Works like a freaking champ. It's got a CDS dial on it as well, but I haven't touched it since I changed the reticle to the B&C.

That being said, I am enjoying plinking around with a 243/SS3-9x42 MQ setup.
Raider, a certain hormonal elf all hopped up on salmon(and nervous energy) is about to queef themselves....grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/18/17
smile

I'm bettin' you whack the crud outa stuff with that one too.
SAM and RAIDER -
Copy that!
Instinctive for sure, it is in your blood.
Old school, near traditional perhaps but I bet you eat
much venison.
Draftmule, and you know you can just split the middle and call it good!

The OP was talking 500 yards and under.

We are talking mere inches here, being off one or two ain't chit.

For hunting dots or pretty much any other BDC will work just fine.

I posted a pic earlier but I'm shooting 165 game kings at 2550 out of a Kimber adirondack .308

The marks don't line up at 200, 300, 400 but neither do most of the animals I shoot at.

smile

It's nice to have some reference to be able to SWAG holdovers with. More precise than a plain duplex or #4. Quicker than dialing in elevation, and I can see it a lot better in low light situations than my Horus style "Christmas tree" reticles.

165gr Sierra Gameking, 2,550fps at SAC.

Zero at 200,

300- 1 mil
400- 2 mil
500- 3 mil

The Leupold LRD is very simple.

30-06
165 gr Spitzer
2900 fps (H4350)

Zero at 200
1st dot 300
2nd dot 400

I've never shot at any animal further than 365 yards.

Maybe I find it easy to understand and I started hunting with a compound bow. It's very similar in concept to an archery pin sight. 1st dot 20 yards, 2nd dot 30 yards, 3rd dot 40 yards, etc.

LRD also gets around having to dial, and issues with repeatability, which scopes are good enough, blah blah blah.
Posted By: starsky Re: Leupold LR Duplex Reticle - 03/19/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by starsky

Dude, I have about 6 hunting rifles that are all set up the 'same'.

Zero at 200 yards, next dot/line is 300, next is 400, 500....

Beyond simple and basically intuitive.

270's shooting 140's at 3000fps match fine with most training wheel holdover points. 243's and 300 WSM's do as well.

I can't remember chit and don't practice enough to be going to charts/turrets for hunting.

Aim and shoot out to 400-500 yards is all I need or want.

Not a long range target shooter and I think that's what confuses the snipers.

Just going out deer hunting, not shooting fuuckin' hummingbirds at 982 yards in a 31 mile per hour crosswind.

Happy it works for you.
© 24hourcampfire