Home
Posted By: azelkhuntr Range finding binoculars - 06/22/17
Vortex or Nikon which one and why?
I'm going to buy one once they are both out.
Any help appreciated.
Tia
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/22/17
I'm just guessing, but they appear to be the exact same units with a little different armoring and brand label. One big difference is that Vortex warrants the entire product, electronics and the binocular, for a lifetime. Nikon doesn't, and Nikon has as non transferrable warranty. Aside from that I know zero.
Thanks Raider that's what I figured out to. If I knew for sure they were the same product it would be an easy decision. I had nothing but bad luck with vortex they always break. Anybody have any idea if they are made in the same plant, glass who's better and rangefinder quality and features.
I've played around with the Nikon unit at the various shows, but it was always indoor under the lights. No hands on with the Vortex. Being that we don't have a dog in this ring, I don't feel bad for posting. I do know that the glass on each will be coming for different factories, so there will be an optical difference. However, with and of the RF Bino's, the assembly and addition and design of the electronic component addition to the barrels is key.

I'd say best bet to not be upset is to get behind both and decide when available. If you can swing it, ordering both at the same time and doing a side by side and then returning the second place finisher is always best.
Thanks tract so which one will have better glass.
Ps with the reviews you guys are getting maybe a rfb should be in the works.
Thats a toss up, both are stating ED glass used (although there are many variants of ED glass). Being that both have the same 'street price', I would bet a sxs would almost be needed, at least by what the info I'm finding is.

A RF bino is certainly something that we've talked about, but just need to fill in some other areas in our line up first. A new optic, which caters to a LR crowd, is on the fast approaching horizon...
Awesome my next scope will be one of yours
Posted By: Volatil Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/24/17
I have used several time the Hooway 7x50 https://goo.gl/kEsVs3 Not mine frown but like it, waterproof, range finder and compass, good quality
Vortex has the best warranty in the industry and is the only one to cover electronics for life.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/24/17
Sitka, have you sampled the new Vortex Fury RF/bino yet? Hearsay says optics are on par with Viper HD, which would be a good thing. Wondering how quick the laser is too?

I only sampled the Nikon version inside Cabelas store, and optics were fine, laser was very quick. I don't trust Nikon's CS though.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Sitka, have you sampled the new Vortex Fury RF/bino yet? Hearsay says optics are on par with Viper HD, which would be a good thing. Wondering how quick the laser is too?

I only sampled the Nikon version inside Cabelas store, and optics were fine, laser was very quick. I don't trust Nikon's CS though.

I have not, still using Leica 1200, non-scan version... Cannot justify the need.

I have spent a bunch of time behind several Geovids and the Zeiss version... I prefer the Geovids due to feel.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/24/17
Roger that. I keep going back and forth on this one unit vs separate unit RF/bino deal. The was RF technology is advancing so rapidly, I'm a little hesitant to buy an all in one unit, especially at $2k+.
I'm with you JG hard to justify 3k for an all in one that is why I was inquiring about this one. I think I'll wait till someone with first hand knowledge can give me some info on pro's and cons of both. My brother has the geovids and at 5 years old had to send them in for laser repair cost him like a few hundred bucks. That was enough to keep me away from them even know I like them.
I say buy neither if you want to save some money pick up a used pair of geovids.
I've no experience with either of these, but if the Vortex Fury RF is worth a damn, that's the route I'd go. Can't beat their warranty.
JG,

BTDT, pondering over the best option.

The RF binoc is faster than individual units; that may be the biggest plus.

I got store sample Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF binocs from Doug and the gang for a little over half retail.

Before, I used Swaro or Kahles binocs with Leica RF, all great units.

Zeiss glass is really good, the RF will give readings out to 1,500-1,600 yds.

Sorta big, but not overly heavy, my go to unit.

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/25/17
I forgot you had that one DF. I've never heard anything bad out of that unit either. Thanks for the reminder.

cummins, no offense but I won't own another Leica anything until they update their pathetic warranty and customer service, especially a used one.
Call Doug and see what he has.

DF
Once again I'm with Jg on leica there is no warranty if you are not the original owner and that is to much money to spend and not get a warranty.
Originally Posted by azelkhuntr
Once again I'm with Jg on leica there is no warranty if you are not the original owner and that is to much money to spend and not get a warranty.

And, if you just gotta have a Leica, IMO it would pay to buy from a strong dealer who can/will go to bat for you.

Dealers that sell thousands of dollars of Leica products each year have more stroke with Leica than you or I.

Unfortunale, but reality is reality, it is what it is.

Money talks, BS walks (gets ignored)..

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

And, if you just gotta have a Leica, IMO it would pay to buy from a strong dealer who can/will go to bat for you.

Dealers that sell thousands of dollars of Leica products each year have more stroke with Leica than you or I.

DF

Shouldn't ever have to get a dealer involved, that's the point.
JG,

BTDT, pondering over the best option.

The RF binoc is faster than individual units; that may be the biggest plus.

I got store sample Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF binocs from Doug and the gang for a little over half retail.

Before, I used Swaro or Kahles binocs with Leica RF, all great units.

Zeiss glass is really good, the RF will give readings out to 1,500-1,600 yds.

Sorta big, but not overly heavy, my go to unit.

DF

I also have one of these caught at a demo sale from Doug. I wouldn't ever go back at this point to separate units. I love the Zeiss though as DF says they are a bit on the lunky side. There is no better option when sneaking up on game than one of these bino/RF instruments.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/26/17
I have the latest leica in an 8x42 in the B. I use the heck out of it. 2nd year I shoot thousands of ranged shots at p-dogs. It is incredible. Mt only complaint is my shooting partner grabs them every time it is my turn to shoot. I'm also color blind and I can see the led all the time. not so with most.
Bought from camaraland.
Posted By: WRO Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/26/17
The pair of vortex I played with had dog schitt light transmission. I wasn't hugely impressed.

Then again I'm not a huge fan of RF binos. I'd take a quality set of glass and a handhled rf over an all in one combo and I've used most of them in the field.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

DF

Shouldn't ever have to get a dealer involved, that's the point.

Yep.

BUT, if someone just has to have a Leice, that would be the way to go.

I agree with JG.

There are too many other fine brands with great CS.

DF
Posted By: atse Re: Range finding binoculars - 06/26/17
I have a used pair of leica HD b s that I bought from Shrapnel here on the fire about 3 years ago. Best buy I ever made. The glass is excellent, the rangefinder is excellent, and the ballistics that they provide have been spot on out to 850 yds, which is as far as I have shot. I carry them at least 5 days a week, and have had no issues at all. I have not tried every rf bino,but against swaro , the leica has the stronger rangefinder. The glass on both is excellent. Mine have seen more use in 3 years than most will see in 10, no issues yet. Buy and use with confidence.
I forgot you had that one DF. I've never heard anything bad out of that unit either. Thanks for the reminder.

cummins, no offense but I won't own another Leica anything until they update their pathetic warranty and customer service, especially a used one.

I have owned 3 different pairs of geovids over the years. I currently use the swaro EL range, which I have been happy with. I just don't like the new HD-b's they don't work for my eyes. I had at least 2 issues with my geovids, different pairs BTW, the first was I dropped them and they landed on the focus knob. Sent them into leica and they fixed and charged me $100 to fix it. they seems to be about the minimum they want. I think the turn around time was 3-4 weeks. The other time was on a newer pair the RF had trouble ranging out as far as I thought they should, compared to my brother in laws earlier non HD unit mine HD would not range as far. Sent to leica and they came back with the best RF unit I had seen in any of the other 2 geovids I had used. They were particularly worried about getting a receipt and knowing when exactly I had bought them. I am also not sure they would have covered the repair at all if I had not bought these from a retailer. in any event the charge would have been $100 if it wouldn't have been covered under warranty. They did send me a couple pairs of free lense caps over the years. I would describe leica customer service as adequate, nothing more nothing less.

They would probably be better served with more communication maybe allowing online access to repair updates. instead they mail out an invoice describing what needs to be done, that wastes a few days in turn around. They you have to tell them what you want to do. That process could be faster and smoother. It would probably also help if people there were given common sense authority to take care of people when appropriate.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I have owned 3 different pairs of geovids over the years. I currently use the swaro EL range, which I have been happy with. I just don't like the new HD-b's they don't work for my eyes. I had at least 2 issues with my geovids, different pairs BTW, the first was I dropped them and they landed on the focus knob. Sent them into leica and they fixed and charged me $100 to fix it. they seems to be about the minimum they want. I think the turn around time was 3-4 weeks. The other time was on a newer pair the RF had trouble ranging out as far as I thought they should, compared to my brother in laws earlier non HD unit mine HD would not range as far. Sent to leica and they came back with the best RF unit I had seen in any of the other 2 geovids I had used. They were particularly worried about getting a receipt and knowing when exactly I had bought them. I am also not sure they would have covered the repair at all if I had not bought these from a retailer. in any event the charge would have been $100 if it wouldn't have been covered under warranty. They did send me a couple pairs of free lense caps over the years. I would describe leica customer service as adequate, nothing more nothing less.

They would probably be better served with more communication maybe allowing online access to repair updates. instead they mail out an invoice describing what needs to be done, that wastes a few days in turn around. They you have to tell them what you want to do. That process could be faster and smoother. It would probably also help if people there were given common sense authority to take care of people when appropriate.

I find myself agreeing with JG... blush

IMO, there are too many exceptional glass companies in this marketplace with equally good CS to settle for less.

Leicas may be great, but so are Swaro and Zeiss, just to name a couple.

My dollars will vote for great CS, every time.

Leica makes a corporate choice, I make a consumer choice.

DF
If cs was the only deciding factor in my original question than Vortex would be it. But there build quality is questionable and that is why I'm considering Nikon as well. Nikons cs and warranty lack so I'm stuck here.
© 24hourcampfire