Home
I bought the pre 64 M70 and the burris base for it. Today I received the scope...

Can you guys give some advice what mounting system should I get to fix the problem?

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 20180717_160246670_iOS.jpg
If you want to stick with the windage adjustable system you'll need something like this Leupold that puts the rear ring farther forward.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362133326/leupold-2-piece-standard-scope-base-winchester-70-re
You just need an extended ring/base.
Originally Posted by navlav8r

In the rear. That's a VX-II 4-12 and IME they have a load of eye relief. A front extended base that would make the present rear one usable would move the scope too close. Unless he's from the JeffO & Ingwe school of scope mounting. laugh
Posted By: z1r Re: Rookie mistake for mounting - 07/17/18
first off, turning both bases around will lessen the distance between rings considerably. Even then, extended rings may be needed.
Posted By: iviax Re: Rookie mistake for mounting - 07/17/18
Diablero suggested flipping the back base around, but the scope tube is still a little shorter than the distance between two rings.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by navlav8r

In the rear. That's a VX-II 4-12 and IME they have a load of eye relief. A front extended base that would make the present rear one usable would move the scope too close. Unless he's from the JeffO & Ingwe school of scope mounting. laugh

So which system should I get to have the right eye relief comfortably with this scope?
For the way I hold a rifle I'd need something that moves the rear base forward. I'm not a fan of the windage adjustable bases/rings. I'd put a rail base on it and get the rings right where I want them.
Leupold 50022 extended bases should do the trick:

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1321/6167/products/IMG_9963_grande.JPG?v=1493085416[/img]
Lightweight Talleys. Cheap, strong, light, reversible.

The set I put on a pre-64 lined up so well with the right-out-of-the-box Vari-x II, I could have gone hunting as is.
I called the local gun shop and they do have Leupold 50022 in store. So I went there but I found out the ring I have are the median ring, and the optic was too close to the barrel and the rear of the scope will interfere with the bolt action. So I got the Leupold extended high rings. Now it works just well.

Attached picture 20180717_211812554_iOS.jpg
Looks good. Enjoy.
Do you have to crawl up on the stock? Scope looks a little far forward. I realize it cannot go back any more. I would put a rail mount on it AS MATHMAN SAID and put the rings in the middle of the scope and where it comes up naturally without crawling up on the stock for a full FOV.
Remember, that model scope is a candidate for having too much eye relief if there's such a thing.
Posted By: iviax Re: Rookie mistake for mounting - 07/18/18
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Do you have to crawl up on the stock? Scope looks a little far forward. I realize it cannot go back any more. I would put a rail mount on it AS MATHMAN SAID and put the rings in the middle of the scope and where it comes up naturally without crawling up on the stock for a full FOV.

Not really. I like to pull the rifle really tight against my shoulder, plus it's 30-06, I have to pull it tight. So the scope is not too far from my eye. The eye relief is about 4 inches from my gross estimate.
Talley
Posted By: powdr Re: Rookie mistake for mounting - 07/18/18
Looks too high to me. I believe you could go down one more height and be OK. powdr
Posted By: hanco Re: Rookie mistake for mounting - 07/19/18
I like Talley’s too. I’ve almost changed all of mine over.
© 24hourcampfire