Home
Posted By: herschel34 Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
I know these are discontinued, but I was thinking about getting one as a set it and forget it type scope. No dialing. I know there’s been some negative reviews but not planning on spinning turrets. Are these getting good feedback when used in these ways? Any places running good prices?
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
You might look at Bass pro flyer the VX 5HD is 100 off then bring in a throw away scope for trade in days and get another 100 bucks off.
Talking to the sales man he said any scope you drag in they will give you a hundred bucks off.

They can be had for as low as 699.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx-6-2-12x42mm-30mm-cds-matte-boone-crockett-mpn-111978.aspx
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
I have one with the Firedot Duplex Reticle. It’s super clear resolution and low light performance is very very good. Mine doesn’t have CDS dials, and has been rock solid as a set and forget scope. I bought it to try on my lightweight rifles, and was really impressed by it. All that being said, I’m not a fan of 30mm scopes on my lightweight rifles and have been seriously considering listing it in the classifieds as it’s just sitting in my safe right now. It is in great shape, and I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it. Send me a pm if you are interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Craig
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
As already mentioned...The optical clarity in the V6 offerings is excellent. That’s one of the best things about the scope. You will really like it, if you’ve never hunted one before...I own 4, all with cds...I wish they weren’t such a delicate flower when it comes to dialing. I wouldn’t shy away from a V6 scope that was a set and forget model...😎
Posted By: waterdoctor Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
I got one of the Europtic models last fall. Put it on my 270 mt rifle.

Very pleased with it. Really like the B&C reticle. Scope is clear with good late light qualities. My son shot a doe at 450 about 10 minutes after sundown.

It’s a keeper.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
Glad to hear it’s getting good reviews as a set and forget scope. Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
Glass and duplex reticle are great. I have two.

Reticle is easy to see in dim light. Glass is pretty close to the alpha euros.

I like mine.

DF
Posted By: Terryk Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
Originally Posted by herschel34
Glad to hear it’s getting good reviews as a set and forget scope. Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?

I think the glass quality is a huge step up in quality from a VX3, at least to my eyes. I have the 1-6 VX6 on a few deer/bear rifles, all have firedot. The low light resolution is pretty amazing.
Posted By: Rodell Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
I've had one for a few years and have been completely happy with it. It is mounted on my 300 Weatherby.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/11/18
Originally Posted by herschel34
Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?

Yes...

For sure

DF
Posted By: bludog Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/12/18
I have the exact two scopes you are asking about the 3.5-10 and the 2-12. I agree with the others, the glass is clearly better (no pun intended) in the VX-6. The VX-6 is on my wife's 7-08 and it failed almost two years ago - went wacko when she wanted us to adjust it one more click while doing the final sight in for her deer hunting load. I sent it back to Leupold and they "adjusted the erector system", and it has tracked ok since and has held zero. I still don't really trust it, but it seems to be hanging in there now..

Another scope you might consider is the discontinued Zeiss Conquest HD-5. I got one in 2-10 back the end of last year (I felt it was a great deal at $499), and the more I've shot it at the range, the more it's impressed Great eyebox, great glass, 1" tube, reasonable weight, and mine has tracked more consistently than any Leupold I've owned. Like you, I'm not a turret twister, but I've made several adjustments to zero different loads shot in my 243, and it has tracked very accurately. .
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/12/18
I have a Leupold or maybe two of them, that could work for a junker scope.

Thanks for the tip on trade in a scope.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/12/18
I’d buy the Leica in the classifieds before that VX-6.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by kingston

Hater....🤨😎
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/13/18

Is Leica CS any better than previous accounts?

At least Leupold CS is great.

With the reported VX-6 issues, tracking going haywire, failure to hold zero, etc., it does cause me some concern. I have two VX-6 2-12x42 scopes, both currently doing well. Going on an expensive hunt with one of those, based on what people I respect have said, is something to consider.

DF
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

With the reported VX-6 issues, tracking going haywire, failure to hold zero, etc., it does cause me some concern. I have two VX-6 2-12x42 scopes, both currently doing well. Going on an expensive hunt with one of those, based on what people I respect have said, is something to consider.

DF

According to the pundits, Leica CS has improved. I’ve got no first hand experience though and given the recent debacle with the refurbished Geovids, I tend to be less optimistic. In general, the German firms tend to operate in a wholely different customer service paradigm. One that’s much less customer-centric than their North American, Austrian and Japanese counterparts. That said, it’s been my impression you don’t hear much about folks needing to use CS for Leica’s scopes.

If given the choice between just these two scopes, I’d roll the dice on the Leica. My bias might be that I’ve already had that model Leupold and being a bit of a scope whore, I’m always on the prowl for a strange view... Optically, the Leupold was very good. I didn’t really give it a chance to fail mechanically, it was only used briefly on one rifle.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/13/18

DF

DF,
I have a VX6 2-12x42 sitting on my Sako 243win. I’m at ease leaving this one alone. But, my other two VX6’s in 3-18x44 riding a 300 Roy and a 300 RUM are in jeopardy of being replaced...I have their replacement scopes in hand, Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44 and NF 4-14x56 SHV...I’m just waiting for the right day to play scope rodeo...😎
It's a shame Leupold has let this happen, whether perception or reality, it is a big deal.

And, I like their products, like my VX-6's. Great glass, almost perfect reticle, light weight, streamline profile...

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/13/18
It's a shame Leupold has let this happen, whether perception or reality, it is a big deal.

And, I like their products, like my VX-6's. Great glass, almost perfect reticle, light weight, streamline profile...

DF

Isn't that the truth DF? I've been lucky with mine, dragging it to Africa several times and lots of places here. I really like the VX6 for the reasons you listed and hope it holds up. Seems to me on the Leica stuff that Doug is a reliable ally, Leica CS still pretty much stinks IMHO. They never did answer my questions on registering my Geo's. Finally figured it out on my own.
You would think a major company like Leupold could address these issues, make corrections, roll out a PR campaign to alleviate some of their current bad press and issues raised by respected users.

There are always nay sayers, but in this case I can't go there, Those who have reported legitimate issues with Leupold products are obviously onto something.

Where there's smoke....

Maybe we're just the lucky ones.

Are we playing "Leupold roulette" hitting on empty chambers as the cylinder rolls...?

DF
Posted By: slm9s Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/14/18
Just one data point on Leica customer service - last year my Geovid's R objective lens fogged up during the monsoon that occurs every elk season. Nothing to do with the rangefinder. I figured for sure this would be covered. Nope, between 2 and 3 hundred dollars and a couple months across the pond later I got them back.

As far as the VX6 2-12, I replaced 2 swaro z5's and a z6i with them with the LR firedot duplex. I'm in the rainy pacific NW, and shots past 300 are rare. I love the firedot in the dark timber and at first and last light, and I have the LR dots for a long shot if needed. I'm aware there are some failures with guys who dial a lot with them, I don't plan on doing that. I did run them from my 200 yard zero to 600 several times at the range and had no problems. These are mounted on a 7STW, 300H&H, and a light 30-06. I am very satisfied with my 3. Compact, excellent glass, excellent reticle/illumination, and a great warranty.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/14/18
Originally Posted by slm9s
I'm aware there are some failures with guys who dial a lot with them...

And with guys who don't dial them a lot.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/14/18
Just one data point on Leica customer service - last year my Geovid's R objective lens fogged up during the monsoon that occurs every elk season. Nothing to do with the rangefinder. I figured for sure this would be covered. Nope, between 2 and 3 hundred dollars and a couple months across the pond later I got them back.

How could that not be covered... SMH
Posted By: bludog Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yeah, i don't dial them a lot.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Knife in the heart... And, here I thought we’d found common ground on Leupold’s set and forget scopes. 😁😎.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/16/18
I like the glass on the VX 6 but if you like 1” prefer the Zeiss HD5. Both have worked for us the Zeiss sits on a 300 Weatherby used for rough country elk hunting. Leica was terrific for me on a damaged - my fault- rangefinder, replaced with upgraded model for free.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/16/18
Go Leica!
Posted By: koshkin Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/16/18
Leica has quietly made an investment into their service department in the last couple of years in terms of staffing and capability.

ILya
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by koshkin
Leica has quietly made an investment into their service department in the last couple of years in terms of staffing and capability.

ILya

Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard this. They sucked so bad in the past anything is an improvement. If their handling of my warranty registration on my new demo geovids is any indication they still suck. I talked to a lady on the phone there and told them their warranty registration portal wasn't working. She agreed. She said she'd get her assistant to do it for me so I gave her the information. That never happened. I emailed her to ask what was up, and I've never heard from her again. I finally got the portal to accept the info, no thanks to anyone at Leica USA.
Posted By: Sika_ Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/21/18
Just ordered one of these scopes (Leupold VX6 2-12x42) to put on my Tikka T3X 6.5 Creedmore.
Ordered it from Euro Optics, the sale they are having on it makes it hard look at anything else.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 - 08/22/18
I ordered another VX6 today, this one will have side focus. LEU171566 Leupold 3-18x44 VX-6HD
This one is from SWFA, I think the two last year were optics planet.

I have been dealing with SWFA since the early 1990s buying out of ShotgunNews.
They had girls with southern accents.
© 24hourcampfire