Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know these are discontinued, but I was thinking about getting one as a set it and forget it type scope. No dialing. I know there’s been some negative reviews but not planning on spinning turrets. Are these getting good feedback when used in these ways? Any places running good prices?

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You might look at Bass pro flyer the VX 5HD is 100 off then bring in a throw away scope for trade in days and get another 100 bucks off.
Talking to the sales man he said any scope you drag in they will give you a hundred bucks off.

They can be had for as low as 699.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one with the Firedot Duplex Reticle. It’s super clear resolution and low light performance is very very good. Mine doesn’t have CDS dials, and has been rock solid as a set and forget scope. I bought it to try on my lightweight rifles, and was really impressed by it. All that being said, I’m not a fan of 30mm scopes on my lightweight rifles and have been seriously considering listing it in the classifieds as it’s just sitting in my safe right now. It is in great shape, and I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it. Send me a pm if you are interested in buying it.

Thanks,
Craig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As already mentioned...The optical clarity in the V6 offerings is excellent. That’s one of the best things about the scope. You will really like it, if you’ve never hunted one before...I own 4, all with cds...I wish they weren’t such a delicate flower when it comes to dialing. I wouldn’t shy away from a V6 scope that was a set and forget model...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got one of the Europtic models last fall. Put it on my 270 mt rifle.

Very pleased with it. Really like the B&C reticle. Scope is clear with good late light qualities. My son shot a doe at 450 about 10 minutes after sundown.

It’s a keeper.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Glad to hear it’s getting good reviews as a set and forget scope. Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Glass and duplex reticle are great. I have two.

Reticle is easy to see in dim light. Glass is pretty close to the alpha euros.

I like mine.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by herschel34
Glad to hear it’s getting good reviews as a set and forget scope. Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?

I think the glass quality is a huge step up in quality from a VX3, at least to my eyes. I have the 1-6 VX6 on a few deer/bear rifles, all have firedot. The low light resolution is pretty amazing.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've had one for a few years and have been completely happy with it. It is mounted on my 300 Weatherby.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by herschel34
Do you all think it’s a fair amount better the a VX3 3.5-10x40?

Yes...

For sure

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have the exact two scopes you are asking about the 3.5-10 and the 2-12. I agree with the others, the glass is clearly better (no pun intended) in the VX-6. The VX-6 is on my wife's 7-08 and it failed almost two years ago - went wacko when she wanted us to adjust it one more click while doing the final sight in for her deer hunting load. I sent it back to Leupold and they "adjusted the erector system", and it has tracked ok since and has held zero. I still don't really trust it, but it seems to be hanging in there now..

Another scope you might consider is the discontinued Zeiss Conquest HD-5. I got one in 2-10 back the end of last year (I felt it was a great deal at $499), and the more I've shot it at the range, the more it's impressed Great eyebox, great glass, 1" tube, reasonable weight, and mine has tracked more consistently than any Leupold I've owned. Like you, I'm not a turret twister, but I've made several adjustments to zero different loads shot in my 243, and it has tracked very accurately. .

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Leupold or maybe two of them, that could work for a junker scope.

Thanks for the tip on trade in a scope.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d buy the Leica in the classifieds before that VX-6.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

Hater....🤨😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Is Leica CS any better than previous accounts?

At least Leupold CS is great.

With the reported VX-6 issues, tracking going haywire, failure to hold zero, etc., it does cause me some concern. I have two VX-6 2-12x42 scopes, both currently doing well. Going on an expensive hunt with one of those, based on what people I respect have said, is something to consider.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

With the reported VX-6 issues, tracking going haywire, failure to hold zero, etc., it does cause me some concern. I have two VX-6 2-12x42 scopes, both currently doing well. Going on an expensive hunt with one of those, based on what people I respect have said, is something to consider.

DF

According to the pundits, Leica CS has improved. I’ve got no first hand experience though and given the recent debacle with the refurbished Geovids, I tend to be less optimistic. In general, the German firms tend to operate in a wholely different customer service paradigm. One that’s much less customer-centric than their North American, Austrian and Japanese counterparts. That said, it’s been my impression you don’t hear much about folks needing to use CS for Leica’s scopes.

If given the choice between just these two scopes, I’d roll the dice on the Leica. My bias might be that I’ve already had that model Leupold and being a bit of a scope whore, I’m always on the prowl for a strange view... Optically, the Leupold was very good. I didn’t really give it a chance to fail mechanically, it was only used briefly on one rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF

DF,
I have a VX6 2-12x42 sitting on my Sako 243win. I’m at ease leaving this one alone. But, my other two VX6’s in 3-18x44 riding a 300 Roy and a 300 RUM are in jeopardy of being replaced...I have their replacement scopes in hand, Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44 and NF 4-14x56 SHV...I’m just waiting for the right day to play scope rodeo...😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's a shame Leupold has let this happen, whether perception or reality, it is a big deal.

And, I like their products, like my VX-6's. Great glass, almost perfect reticle, light weight, streamline profile...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's a shame Leupold has let this happen, whether perception or reality, it is a big deal.

And, I like their products, like my VX-6's. Great glass, almost perfect reticle, light weight, streamline profile...

DF

Isn't that the truth DF? I've been lucky with mine, dragging it to Africa several times and lots of places here. I really like the VX6 for the reasons you listed and hope it holds up. Seems to me on the Leica stuff that Doug is a reliable ally, Leica CS still pretty much stinks IMHO. They never did answer my questions on registering my Geo's. Finally figured it out on my own.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.