Home
Posted By: tcp reticle leveling question - 06/21/19
I have found that occasionally, If I have leveled the reticle in a scope and then look backwards through the scope from the objective end, the reticle is NOWHERE close to level. Conversely, If I level it looking backward from the objective, it is quite obviously not level when viewed from the ocular end.

Some scopes are quite dramatically off, others less so.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you
Posted By: Tejano Re: reticle leveling question - 06/21/19
Parallax? Sometimes esp with metallic cross hairs you are seeing some reflection/distortion off the glass. This may only be with older scopes as I think now both sides are blacked out.
Or the simple answer it is not level. The lenses can magnify this too.
Distorted image from the other lenses when looking in the opposite direction of how they were arranged. Not a thing to worry about if your xhairs are truly level.
Posted By: hanco Re: reticle leveling question - 06/22/19
I’ve never looked through the other end, will have to check that out!!
I've noticed the same thing but don't know why it's so. It's gotta be some sort of optical illusion though. I just make sure its levelled from the ocular end, and then don't check from the objective end so I don't start having doubts.
Why would you look backwards through a scope?
Posted By: Tejano Re: reticle leveling question - 06/22/19
Funny rifle looney stuff. I would suppose it would be a consideration if you shot like Annie Oakley with a mirror and the gun over your shoulder

Reminds me of when one gun writer asked a Zeiss representative of why the scope would emit bubbles when immersed in hot water. The reps response was why would you do that? He probably said vy wud you do dat?
I like putting my scope backwards to hunt. It makes it more of a challenge because everything is further away.
Posted By: smallfry Re: reticle leveling question - 06/22/19
Does the bullet come out faster when you’re looking down the barrel or when you’re behind it?
[Linked Image]

Light bends and inverts all around while going through the lenses. The ocular end has the correct image because it is arranged as such. The objective does not as it isn't built to be looked through that end. This is all really that simple.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: reticle leveling question - 06/22/19
Originally Posted by Tejano
Funny rifle looney stuff. I would suppose it would be a consideration if you shot like Annie Oakley with a mirror and the gun over your shoulder

Reminds me of when one gun writer asked a Zeiss representative of why the scope would emit bubbles when immersed in hot water. The reps response was why would you do that? He probably said vy vud you do dat?

Fixed it. Can't have careless errors in an anal-retentive thread, now can ve?
Posted By: tcp Re: reticle leveling question - 06/22/19
Thanks for most of the replies. As the picture above shows, I understand that the image is manipulated by mirrors and lenses prior to viewing it from the ocular end. I doubt that there is a mirror or lens that functions to rotate the image 20 degrees clockwise for example. Most of my understanding of light waves involves the image either being reversed as in a mirror or flipped 180 . I was hoping that Mule Deer would offer an opinion as clearly he has an in depth understanding of the workings inside a rifle scope.

My guess is that viewing the reticle backward thru the objective is a more sensitive means of assessing wither the internals of the scope it self are square and plumb or not. I have noticed this to varying degrees with the rifle scopes I own, and the (few) spendy ones seem better.

Thank you.
Yeah, I used to look back through the scope to check that I got the cross hairs square (almost like a "second opinion") but it only causes confusion now, so I don't do it. If you do line them up square from the front end, they'll be way out when viewed normally. For lack of a good answer at least it's a source of ridicule.
Posted By: Snyper Re: reticle leveling question - 06/23/19
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Why would you look backwards through a scope?

That's how you use it when you're reloading.
Posted By: hanco Re: reticle leveling question - 06/24/19
This is interesting!
Posted By: GSSP Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
This instrument is best, by far, tool I've ever used to mount a reticle level. I shoot out to 2000+ yds and having a trued up reticle is critical.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx
I use a deck of playing cards to mount all my scopes...
Posted By: ingwe Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like putting my scope backwards to hunt. It makes it more of a challenge because everything is further away.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
It comes out faster if you run backwards away from the target, but goes faster and hits harder if you run towards the target. Saw it on
CNN, I think. 🤦‍♂️
Originally Posted by GSSP
This instrument is best, by far, tool I've ever used to mount a reticle level. I shoot out to 2000+ yds and having a trued up reticle is critical.

Thanks for the Tip. Having thrown away plenty of money on a plastic and aluminum reticle tru and God knows how many Wheeler engineering POS there are , whats 56 dollars. I bought the level from larrywillis.com and that is one quality level for sure FWIW
Posted By: 163bc Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by GSSP

+1 I bought one of these several years ago. Properly done reticle is perfect every time. Great tool.
Posted By: kingston Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Yeah, I used to look back through the scope to check that I got the cross hairs square (almost like a "second opinion") but it only causes confusion now, so I don't do it. If you do line them up square from the front end, they'll be way out when viewed normally. For lack of a good answer at least it's a source of ridicule.

Coriolis effect.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: reticle leveling question - 06/27/19
Level Reticle = some of the people can fool themselves all of the time, all of the people can fool themselves some of the time, and, yes, all of the people can fool themselves all of the time.
© 24hourcampfire