Home
Posted By: plainsman456 Ziess scopes - 06/21/19
I have been given a Ziess Conquest scope.

I have read about them some but the question is this:are they something that one should try?

It has a 50MM objective and might be a pain to mount on my rifles.
I have not used one before just The dreaded L scopes.

Thanks. whistle
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Ziess scopes - 06/21/19
I have a couple of them, I like them a lot, got'em on medium kickers, fwt "06's. For me, I had a little trouble with the adjustments because they are opposite of every other scope out there. Adjustments track perfectly though, when I turn 'em the proper direction.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ziess scopes - 06/21/19
The Conquest is a wonderful scope, I have several. Lot of scope for the price. I bought several back when they were being closed out for $250-275.

I'm not too enamored with 50mm objectives, inherited this one in a trade.

I mounted it on a Kimber Classic with Broughton barrel (amazing how a Kimber can shoot with a good barrel...)

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Ziess scopes - 06/21/19
Oh, by the way, you didn't say what reticle you have but the holdover reticles work beautifully when you input your reload data to the Zeiss website. Much better than Leupy's CDS ...IMO. Infinite possibilities...you don't need a dial for every load. Tried and true in actual use on my 600 yard clanger range.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ziess scopes - 06/21/19
Or, if you like to twist, you can get your Conquest retrofitted by Zeiss with an elevation turret. IIRC, for around $85 or so.

They do turn the wrong way, but if you read the dial, it'll help you remember. You can get load specific ballistic tape for the generic turret, or can get the more expensive Kenton custom turret.

And they do track well. I've not experienced, read of, or heard about tracking problems or maintenance of zero issues with these scopes.

I've never sent one back, but hear Zeiss has good CS.

The best CS is CS you never need.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
If someone gave me a zeiss conquest, I'd be about cranking out a thank you note..
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Yep, every one I have had has been great. Clear. adjusts. and just plain works. They can be expensive beyond the Conquest line.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Or, if you like to twist, you can get your Conquest retrofitted by Zeiss with an elevation turret. IIRC, for around $85 or so.

They do turn the wrong way, but if you read the dial, it'll help you remember. You can get load specific ballistic tape for the generic turret, or can get the more expensive Kenton custom turret.

And they do track well. I've not experienced, read of, or heard about tracking problems or maintenance of zero issues with these scopes.

I've never sent one back, but hear Zeiss has good CS.

The best CS is CS you never need.

DF

[Linked Image]

I agree. Hey, I ran across a Conquest 4.5-14 looks just like the one pictured on your rifle. It's in like new condition for $550.00. Is that a good deal?
Posted By: borden811 Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
The older conquest line was made by meopta I believe. If the scope you’re looking at is the older version, I’d pass on it at $550, and pick up one of the current meopta meopro scopes in 4.5-14 that Doug at cameraland is selling at $450-$460.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Agreed. Doug has a better price than that.
GreggH
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Would be our pleasure to assist smile
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
I paid less than $300 for that one, add $85 or so for the elevation turret. $550 is a bit steep, IMO. I wouldn't pay that.

Agree with Meopta from Doug.

DF
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
I paid less than $300 for that one, add $85 or so for the elevation turret. $550 is a bit steep, IMO. I wouldn't pay that.

Agree with Meopta from Doug.

DF

^^^^That^^^^^^ and if ever an issue with the scope, Zeiss may or may not be able to repair it and might exchange it for something else in that case.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have a couple of them, I like them a lot, got'em on medium kickers, fwt "06's. For me, I had a little trouble with the adjustments because they are opposite of every other scope out there. Adjustments track perfectly though, when I turn 'em the proper direction.

Hell, I don't know which direction to turn any scope adjustment dial. I have to look at the arrow on the dial every time. But then again I'm dyslexic.
The only experience I have with the Conquest was in an Academy store where they had all their scopes set up on dummy guns to look through. I'm a Leupold-Nikon guy. But that Conquest was the brightest thing in the store. And clear as a bell. If I had more money to budget for a scope I'd have them on every rifle I own.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have been given a Ziess Conquest scope.

I have read about them some but the question is this:are they something that one should try?

It has a 50MM objective and might be a pain to mount on my rifles.
I have not used one before just The dreaded L scopes.

Thanks. whistle

Hey wait a minute. It took me a few minutes to mentally digest what you said here. It's early in the morning and my 71 year old brain is not up to speed yet.

You said you were"GIVEN A CONQUEST" and "YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT?" Hey I'll message you my mailing address and you can ship it to me COD. I'll be honored to try it for you. But if it works I get to keep it. Deal?
I agree with SCgman1, I'd be writing a thank you note to my benefactor.

And, there are a number of us who would gladly volunteer for a trial run with your new scope. Some may even return it after the trial...

DF
I agree with SCgman1, I'd be writing a thank you note to my benefactor.

And, there are a number of us who would gladly volunteer for a trial run with your new scope. Some may even return it after the trial...

DF

"Not I" said the Pig...

Originally Posted by Filaman
The only experience I have with the Conquest was in an Academy store where they had all their scopes set up on dummy guns to look through. I'm a Leupold-Nikon guy. But that Conquest was the brightest thing in the store. And clear as a bell. If I had more money to budget for a scope I'd have them on every rifle I own.

Conquest will be brighter than most Leupolds up to the VX-6, which is a tad better.

IMO, Conquest is brighter than most Nikon scopes..

DF
I agree with you DF. If I was financially able I would have all Conquests. I had a friend that had several high dollar scopes of which at least one was a Zeiss. The one Zeiss I remember wasn't a Conquest. It was in the 80s before Conquests. It was very clear as I remember it but I don't think it was much better if any than the Conquest. I think this is because the human eye can only detect so much clarity and brightness. The Conquest is a lot cheaper than standard Zeiss scopes and I don't think you give up anything from a practical sense with the Conquest.

This guy also had at least one Schmidt und Bender, which I remember as being the clearest scope I've ever looked through. But I don't see that in a practical sense as a hunting scope it being worth the extra money it would cost me.

For now I'll just cry in my beer and enjoy my Leupold VX-3is and the couple of Nikon's I have.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Ziess scopes - 06/24/19
Bought my 4.5x14x44 conquest new in 2009 for $600....it has the #4 reticle.....thought I got a good deal on it......based on the distances I generally hunt, it doesnt make much sense for me to have one, but then neither does the 300 wsm it sits on....a helluva set up that doesnt get near enough playing time.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Ziess scopes - 06/26/19
Thanks to all that have said that it should be a good scope to try.

This scope has the turrets already so no need to get them.

And i hate to disappoint all who wanted it sent to them i think i will give a good home. grin
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Ziess scopes - 06/26/19
Good and clear optics
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Ziess scopes - 06/26/19
Seems the 3X9X40 Zeiss Conquest is a bit of a standard for scopes. Always about $300+/- for a used one. Usually does not last long either. I have owned several and still have two. It is one that you can depend on to work for the most part. No surprises.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ziess scopes - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Seems the 3X9X40 Zeiss Conquest is a bit of a standard for scopes. Always about $300+/- for a used one. Usually does not last long either. I have owned several and still have two. It is one that you can depend on to work for the most part. No surprises.

+1

DF
Posted By: Win70brett Re: Ziess scopes - 06/30/19
I used a Zeiss Conquest scope from 2009 to 2018, loved it. The particular model I used has since been discontinued (3x9x40) but I still have and love the scope. I purchased a Swarovski Z5 and moved the Conquest to a different rifle, but I highly recommend the Conquest.
Posted By: Bbear Re: Ziess scopes - 07/01/19
First Zeiss was the older Meopta-built scopes in a 3-9 version. I've since added two more of the 4.5-15x42 HD5's and really enjoy them. They track perfectly on a tall-target test for me. My first HD5 was a gift as well.
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Ziess scopes - 07/02/19
If I had to limit myself to one model of scope to put on every rifle I own, it would probably be the Conquest 3-9x40.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ziess scopes - 07/02/19
Originally Posted by TATELAW
If I had to limit myself to one model of scope to put on every rifle I own, it would probably be the Conquest 3-9x40.

No argument here.

DF
© 24hourcampfire