Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been given a Ziess Conquest scope.

I have read about them some but the question is this:are they something that one should try?

It has a 50MM objective and might be a pain to mount on my rifles.
I have not used one before just The dreaded L scopes.

Thanks. whistle

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a couple of them, I like them a lot, got'em on medium kickers, fwt "06's. For me, I had a little trouble with the adjustments because they are opposite of every other scope out there. Adjustments track perfectly though, when I turn 'em the proper direction.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Conquest is a wonderful scope, I have several. Lot of scope for the price. I bought several back when they were being closed out for $250-275.

I'm not too enamored with 50mm objectives, inherited this one in a trade.

I mounted it on a Kimber Classic with Broughton barrel (amazing how a Kimber can shoot with a good barrel...)

DF

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh, by the way, you didn't say what reticle you have but the holdover reticles work beautifully when you input your reload data to the Zeiss website. Much better than Leupy's CDS ...IMO. Infinite possibilities...you don't need a dial for every load. Tried and true in actual use on my 600 yard clanger range.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Or, if you like to twist, you can get your Conquest retrofitted by Zeiss with an elevation turret. IIRC, for around $85 or so.

They do turn the wrong way, but if you read the dial, it'll help you remember. You can get load specific ballistic tape for the generic turret, or can get the more expensive Kenton custom turret.

And they do track well. I've not experienced, read of, or heard about tracking problems or maintenance of zero issues with these scopes.

I've never sent one back, but hear Zeiss has good CS.

The best CS is CS you never need.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If someone gave me a zeiss conquest, I'd be about cranking out a thank you note..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, every one I have had has been great. Clear. adjusts. and just plain works. They can be expensive beyond the Conquest line.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Or, if you like to twist, you can get your Conquest retrofitted by Zeiss with an elevation turret. IIRC, for around $85 or so.

They do turn the wrong way, but if you read the dial, it'll help you remember. You can get load specific ballistic tape for the generic turret, or can get the more expensive Kenton custom turret.

And they do track well. I've not experienced, read of, or heard about tracking problems or maintenance of zero issues with these scopes.

I've never sent one back, but hear Zeiss has good CS.

The best CS is CS you never need.

DF

[Linked Image]

I agree. Hey, I ran across a Conquest 4.5-14 looks just like the one pictured on your rifle. It's in like new condition for $550.00. Is that a good deal?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The older conquest line was made by meopta I believe. If the scope you’re looking at is the older version, I’d pass on it at $550, and pick up one of the current meopta meopro scopes in 4.5-14 that Doug at cameraland is selling at $450-$460.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Agreed. Doug has a better price than that.
GreggH

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would be our pleasure to assist smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I paid less than $300 for that one, add $85 or so for the elevation turret. $550 is a bit steep, IMO. I wouldn't pay that.

Agree with Meopta from Doug.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I paid less than $300 for that one, add $85 or so for the elevation turret. $550 is a bit steep, IMO. I wouldn't pay that.

Agree with Meopta from Doug.

DF

^^^^That^^^^^^ and if ever an issue with the scope, Zeiss may or may not be able to repair it and might exchange it for something else in that case.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have a couple of them, I like them a lot, got'em on medium kickers, fwt "06's. For me, I had a little trouble with the adjustments because they are opposite of every other scope out there. Adjustments track perfectly though, when I turn 'em the proper direction.

Hell, I don't know which direction to turn any scope adjustment dial. I have to look at the arrow on the dial every time. But then again I'm dyslexic.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/24/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The only experience I have with the Conquest was in an Academy store where they had all their scopes set up on dummy guns to look through. I'm a Leupold-Nikon guy. But that Conquest was the brightest thing in the store. And clear as a bell. If I had more money to budget for a scope I'd have them on every rifle I own.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I have been given a Ziess Conquest scope.

I have read about them some but the question is this:are they something that one should try?

It has a 50MM objective and might be a pain to mount on my rifles.
I have not used one before just The dreaded L scopes.

Thanks. whistle

Hey wait a minute. It took me a few minutes to mentally digest what you said here. It's early in the morning and my 71 year old brain is not up to speed yet.

You said you were"GIVEN A CONQUEST" and "YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY IT?" Hey I'll message you my mailing address and you can ship it to me COD. I'll be honored to try it for you. But if it works I get to keep it. Deal?

Last edited by Filaman; 06/24/19.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with SCgman1, I'd be writing a thank you note to my benefactor.

And, there are a number of us who would gladly volunteer for a trial run with your new scope. Some may even return it after the trial...

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree with SCgman1, I'd be writing a thank you note to my benefactor.

And, there are a number of us who would gladly volunteer for a trial run with your new scope. Some may even return it after the trial...

DF

"Not I" said the Pig...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Filaman
The only experience I have with the Conquest was in an Academy store where they had all their scopes set up on dummy guns to look through. I'm a Leupold-Nikon guy. But that Conquest was the brightest thing in the store. And clear as a bell. If I had more money to budget for a scope I'd have them on every rifle I own.

Conquest will be brighter than most Leupolds up to the VX-6, which is a tad better.

IMO, Conquest is brighter than most Nikon scopes..

DF

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I agree with you DF. If I was financially able I would have all Conquests. I had a friend that had several high dollar scopes of which at least one was a Zeiss. The one Zeiss I remember wasn't a Conquest. It was in the 80s before Conquests. It was very clear as I remember it but I don't think it was much better if any than the Conquest. I think this is because the human eye can only detect so much clarity and brightness. The Conquest is a lot cheaper than standard Zeiss scopes and I don't think you give up anything from a practical sense with the Conquest.

This guy also had at least one Schmidt und Bender, which I remember as being the clearest scope I've ever looked through. But I don't see that in a practical sense as a hunting scope it being worth the extra money it would cost me.

For now I'll just cry in my beer and enjoy my Leupold VX-3is and the couple of Nikon's I have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 797 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.