Home
Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Should scopes even have black tubes or gold markings anymore? I'm thinking that people might mistake them for Leupolds. Perhaps they should be camoflaged, made a dull brown, flat blue, or painted vibrant reds, yellows and pinks...for the benchrest crowd, and gay people...but I'm not saying that BR shooters are gay, ok? Just trying to be all inclusive. Although I suppose some of the BR crowd probably are, but again, that's ok. Just trying to be all inclusive. frown

Apart from properly fixing the erectors, the knobs, reticles, and other stuff I probably missed, is there something that Leupold should do to make amends to the shooting public? blush

Years ago, they would have taken the owners or senior people into the public square and had them flogged. Would that be a possibility? I was just thinking that they might do things properly if they knew that it was not going to go well for them personally. You know, if they put profits above quality. eek

Should there be a sheriff's sale of the factory and property to another scope company? eek

Should Leupold users be shunned by Zeiss or NF owners? Or shamed into divesting themselves of all their Leupold scopes in favour of something of higher quality? mad

I'm confused. See, I only have one Leupold, so I don't feel angry or ashamed. Should I be ashamed though? I did get it repaired up here (for free), but what other 4 power scopes would do?

So many questions. So confusing...
They should all be forced to use nothing but Fram filters in their vehicles.
Most here get flogged if they dont use the campfire "favorite" and accused of not being real "shooters" by the self-proclaimed experts. I'd take any Leupold anybody wants to get rid of cause they're such POS. I'll even take them "broken". They've worked for me for years, but again, I'm not a real shooter according to some here. Between mine and many of my family's and friends Leupolds, not one has gone bad. Yes a few are set and forget and only shoot a handful of times a year, but they never have to re-zero every year either and they're on 300wm and 7mm mags.

Ill take any Leupold on any hunt anywhere and be confident in the scope. So if you want to get rid on one....send it my way. I'll take the bullying from the "experts" here.
Okay, but what scope, other than Leupold, would you use? Just pretend Trump closed Leupold down.
I think I could live with a Burris...but I'm not a real shooter either.
Most here want a 3 pound rifle and a 4 pound scope, for a combined weight of about 7 pounds. A minimum 56mm objective is required and rings with 6 screws on each side, because that's tacticool and everything. I'd recommend spending at least $2K US or you will be ridiculed and ostracized by those who know more than you do, and that's everybody here.
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I think I could live with a Burris...but I'm not a real shooter either.

^^^This^^^

It damn sure wouldn’t be a Vortex.
I forgot, it must be at least 40 power top end, 12 or 15 bottom. That way you can shoot the ubiquitous 0.09 inch groups, "if you do your part"
I have more Leupolds than any other brand but decided to move on after experiencing several broken reticles (3), all of which succumbed to the vicious recoil of a 22 rimfire rifle. I also got tired of the inaccurate tracking on a few Leupolds. My last three scope purchases have been Meopta's.

Originally Posted by Borchardt
I forgot, it must be at least 40 power top end, 12 or 15 bottom. That way you can shoot the ubiquitous 0.09 inch groups, "if you do your part"

What?! Don't you know all you need is a fixed 6x power to shoot those types of groups at 1000+ yards!
So, which 40x scope would you buy then? Or more to the point, which manufacturer would you put your trust in?
Anybody that needs a scope is just a sissy and aught to learn to hunt instead of relying on optics, rangefinders and long range shooting to succeed. Any hunter worthy of the name can get close enough to game to use iron sights effectively.
Sorry, it's not 1850 anymore. Next competitor.

What manufacturer do you trust?
I only now own one Leupold. I have had issues with some other Leupolds. Mostly tracking and not holding zero. Not a 40X, but a 8X32 Mueller for a target 22LR. No issues at all, and it was a "cheap" scope. For other rifles, Kahles, Zeiss, Sightron, and Burris have severed me well. Of course I can't shoot very well either. I don't hate Leopold's, I have just found that there are many other options that are perhaps better than some of the current offerings.
I've had very good results from Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb Elite scopes in 2.5 -10 x 42, and 6-24 x 40 and my son uses the Bushnell UHD Elite binos for hunting and has been very happy with them. Looking at the new line of Bushnell in the Forge or maybe step up to the LRTS line when or if I need a new scope anytime soon...

The glass in the Bausch & Lombs and Bushnell has been very good IMO. I do have a couple Weavers on my rimfires that are okay for rimfire ranges, but the glass doesn't hold a candle to the Leupy's and Bushnells I own.

Bob
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I only now own one Leupold. I have had issues with some other Leupolds. Mostly tracking and not holding zero. Not a 40X, but a 8X32 Mueller for a target 22LR. No issues at all, and it was a "cheap" scope. For other rifles, Kahles, Zeiss, Sightron, and Burris have severed me well. Of course I can't shoot very well either. I don't hate Leopold's, I have just found that there are many other options that are perhaps better than some of the current offerings.

Don't feel bad. Testify! I have two Mueller 8-32s. One is on a 22. The other is on a 6x45mm. They work just fine. If one were to fail, I'd get another. Both get cranked around, but probably not as aggressively as the LR folks. Mind you, 100 yd is a LR shot for a 22LR.

Ever since I was a kid, I thought that Leupold, Zeiss and others were overpriced. But that's me. It's what you or me, or someone else is happy with, and works for them.
Yep, 1/8" at 100 yards, going from 50 to 100 yards does involve some "clicking" My issue is the right left for the windage.... Up/down I can dope.
I've come to like the Nightforce SHV 3-10X42 with a Forceplex as an all-around hunting scope.
Must be that dead time between Matlock and Murder She Wrote..... cause the Golden Ring Girls are getting all worked up....
Then you should probably just sit back and watch TV until the bedtime bell rings. crazy
My aging memory might be failing me , but I seem to remember something about Vortex a few years ago ?
I could live happily with Weaver Classic and Meopta optics...of course I've been considering a couple VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Duplex scopes a couple 270's in the safe. Adjustments were supposed to be more robust on them and I don't do the twist anyway.
I had an old Weaver K6 that took a beating for about 10 years... it rode a lot of different rifles, and I never remember it losing zero or being tough to sight in. Eventually I graduated to a 6.5x20 Leupold Vari-X III... that scope ran pretty well... but I did have to “check the zero” pretty frequently.

For a set and forget.... I could live a long happy hunting career with a K6, or a Weaver Classic 3-9.

For a hunting scope I want to dial... SWFA 3-9 or a NF NXS 2-10 or even SHV 3-10.
The combined rounds fired per year of these posters combined other than Dog prolly amount to under 200. And the average age cannot be much less ...

Leupold circle jerks are an impressive specimen...

What’s the combined number of deer killied? Single digits??? Haha
Originally Posted by GregW
The combined rounds fired per year of these posters combined other than Dog prolly amount to under 200. And the average age cannot be much less ...

Edited, not worth it
That's wonderful GregW and Judman, but I asked, "Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

Can you answer the question? laugh
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
That's wonderful GregW and Judman, but I asked, "Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

Do you read the Leupold threads at all? It's the same stuff rehashed.

SWFA, NF, Bushy LRHS, Meopta and a few others....

Nightforce...
Originally Posted by peeshooter

Edited, not worth it

I agree...

Let's chat about the same documented chit for the 100th time.
you aren't
Leupold is gonna fix it. They've got their assembly guys all over it. So says Doug ...
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

Nightforce...

NF has a strong following. Do you think that this tempest in a teapot at 24hr will see sales of other scopes increase? I did a search and some of the Leupold threads show up on the Google.I entered - Leupold scopes bad? Of course, you can find anything on the Internets, but I can't help thinking that an accumulation of so-so reviews can affect any company's bottom line.
...Let's chat about the same documented chit for the 100th time.

Actually, this is not about the problems that Leupold is having. The question was, "Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

Your answer is probably, "I will not be changing. I will continue to use Leupold."

See?
...Let's chat about the same documented chit for the 100th time.

Actually, this is not about the problems that Leupold is having. The question was, "Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

Your answer is probably, "I will not be changing. I will continue to use Leupold."

See?

Read the thread.

You are behind.

I answered your "question" as has the last 50 Leupold threads.
Actually, no. I started the thread. I asked, "Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

See?

You're a hater. Time for you to take a nap.
The question has been answered 100 times ...

I don't take naps. Too much stuff to get done.

I'm not a hater of anything. Stuff works and is reliable or it's not. I'm the least materialistic guy I know. No drama involved at all for me.
"Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"
NF
"Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

Simmons, unless you are able to use a computer and scroll.
Thank you.
Maybe mix in a little BSA....
They will work for you. smile Keep up the good work. laugh

I have some Leupold, Weaver (K4 & K6), Burris (FFII) and Swarovski Z3 . Probably just keep on 😉
Mr. Redgwell,
It seems you hav3 taken the term “sarcastic bastid “ to new heights. But then, again, you are Canajan.
Just trying to keep the thread on the rails, despite attempts to knock it off. Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?
Nikko Sterling and Baska
Originally Posted by Lorne

I have some Leupold, Weaver (K4 & K6), Burris (FFII) and Swarovski Z3 . Probably just keep on 😉

I think the majority of people will keep on, keeping on. With Weaver gone, if you need to replace either, you will have to decide whether to go with Leupold, Zeiss or change to a low power variable. I have a Weaver 4x on a 308. I think if it ever went south, I would look for another 4x.
Whatever's on sale or clearance that has a decent reputation and good eye relief. Ain't no critical missions here.
Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Should scopes even have black tubes or gold markings anymore? I'm thinking that people might mistake them for Leupolds. Perhaps they should be camoflaged, made a dull brown, flat blue, or painted vibrant reds, yellows and pinks...for the benchrest crowd, and gay people...but I'm not saying that BR shooters are gay, ok? Just trying to be all inclusive. Although I suppose some of the BR crowd probably are, but again, that's ok. Just trying to be all inclusive. frown

Apart from properly fixing the erectors, the knobs, reticles, and other stuff I probably missed, is there something that Leupold should do to make amends to the shooting public? blush

Years ago, they would have taken the owners or senior people into the public square and had them flogged. Would that be a possibility? I was just thinking that they might do things properly if they knew that it was not going to go well for them personally. You know, if they put profits above quality. eek

Should there be a sheriff's sale of the factory and property to another scope company? eek

Should Leupold users be shunned by Zeiss or NF owners? Or shamed into divesting themselves of all their Leupold scopes in favour of something of higher quality? mad

I'm confused. See, I only have one Leupold, so I don't feel angry or ashamed. Should I be ashamed though? I did get it repaired up here (for free), but what other 4 power scopes would do?

Is Steve Redgwell really Gus?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Whatever's on sale or clearance that has a decent reputation and good eye relief. Ain't no critical missions here.

That's usually the way for me.

In the last few months I’ve bought four Nightforce scopes, three SWFA’s and three Sig’s. I regret the Sig scope purchases.

I’ve sold two of my three Leupold VX6 scope. The one remaining VX6 has 610 rounds under it and has been banged a bit. It is still functioning as a scope should and it fits my lightweight 7WSM well. If this changed a SWFA 3-15x42 will replace it.

I’ve also tripped a March 2.5-25x42 a couple days ago, replacing it with a NF.

To answer your question without any drama you may seek. I am buying only Nightforce and SWFA scopes. 😎

That's fine. I'm not looking for any drama. I am simply curious that with all the negativity toward Leupold, what other manufacturers will people turn to, or simply stay the course. Drama is for our PM. He's a former high school drama teacher. smile
If you weren’t looking for any drama.... you should have asked a simple question.... rather than lace it with a bunch of pompous douchebag rhetoric.

Ask a question like a smart-ass.... get smart-ass responses.
I’m pretty much on the SWFA 3-9 and nightforce shv/nxs train these days, I still have a vx3i in the closet as a backup and a vx1 on my 22 rifle but I probably won’t be buying any more leupolds in the foreseeable future. That reminds me, I need to call camera land and get another shv 3-10.
So was it the multiple threads about Leupold that changed your mind, or were you committed to NF before this flare up?
SWFA and Bushnell LRHS/LRTS
I have never lost a zero with my Lyman 48 or 57.

Very repeatable clicks. Durable, light, and compact.

You post some weird stuff. I esp like your threads where you are the only poster talking to himself.
My pleasure. Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Doesn’t even warrant a response. I think I’m dumber for having read this...

John
But you did respond. Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Edited, not worth it

I agree...

Yep, hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashed to death.
Might try a Barska later this year....
Have read a few times on the Campfire that Barska's are great.

Of course, have read many differing optics opinions on the Fire....
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Grin....

Grin....

I little rich for my wallet, I mean $40 for a 4x32 plex? Do I LOOK like a Rockefeller? I mean, do they still make the Tasco Pronghorn 4x32?
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Edited, not worth it

I agree...

Yep, hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashed to death.

Make my hash corned beef.
A well priced Zeiss gets my attention. It seems like a Leupold 2.5-8x36 is unmatched for eye relief and “fit” though. YMMV.
I've had more Weaver's than any other brand over the years and they have always done well for me. I still have and use several K-2.5's, K-4's, V-7's and V-9's without issue. With those gone, I'll probably give a Burris Fullfield E-1 a try when I need another scope.
if i don`t buy or use Leupold , i now only use or buy the best Nightforce scopes .no more cheap scopes for me i need a scope i can depend on.

Grin....

Oculus optics are absolutely bulletproof. I have never seen or used one, but take it to the bank anyway.

Yeah well I can remember when Sightron was the internet optics guru's new wonder scope, then it was Vortex and then Athlon was the new shining star. Now those are all unreliable junk. Only one things for sure. Doesn't matter whether it's optics or truck tires, internet forum reviews ain't worth spit and the forum "experts" don't know shyt from shinola.
Oh and I just burned 50 rounds off the back porch 15 minutes ago, shot 100 off the porch and out the living room window last evening and went through 400 over the past week. This will go on at a similar rate all summer so I do shoot just a wee bit.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yeah well I can remember when Sightron was the internet optics guru's new wonder scope, then it was Vortex and then Athlon was the new shining star. Now those are all unreliable junk. Only one things for sure. Doesn't matter whether it's optics or truck tires, internet forum reviews ain't worth spit and the forum "experts" don't know shyt from shinola.

It certainly works that way. As we used to say in the service, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

Of the expensive scopes, it appears that NF is getting support from members here. Was that happening before the Leupold blowout, or is it something that happened as a result of the bad threads?
benchrest shooters have been using Nightforce scopes for a while now, i have been using them for bench rest and hunting for over 10 years now and never have had any problems with this brand scope Nightforce. but to be honest my old Leupold scopes have been good scopes too ,Leupold scopes just don`t adjust as well as a Nightforce scopes do for me .
Ah, I know that they had been around for a while, but I always thought of them as tactical/LR scopes.
Oh and I just burned 50 rounds off the back porch 15 minutes ago, shot 100 off the porch and out the living room window last evening and went through 400 over the past week. This will go on at a similar rate all summer so I do shoot just a wee bit.

Only thing you've burned is all of your brain cells living up there in the Rocky Mountain Adirondacks.

Only thing you've burned is all of your brain cells living up there in the Rocky Mountain Adirondacks.
Says a fuggin Texican. BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAAHAAAAAA ! Keep killin those Texas zoo animals and thinkin you're quite a hunter. Just remember to wipe the corn off their lips before you take the photo's. Boy.
Thank goodness Blackheart chimed in to set the record straight. I feel tons better about the optics discussion now...

You got yourself involved in the Hatfields and McCoys feud finally? That’s the only way I’d believe you’re pumping rounds like that a day from your living room couch. Makes complete sense. 😎
Though I stated above I have used Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb scopes, I still use a lot of Leupolds on my rifles. Not sure how many 3 - 9 x 40 VariX II I have but they have been exceptionally bulletproof over the years and probably the best bargain in scopes that has been available for just about ever. I have several of the 6.5 - 20 x 40's also and for what I use them for- Vermin and targets- they have also been just about perfect. Embarking on using a VX 3i 3.5-10 on my .338 but so far it seems like a great scope and the 4. 5 -14 on my 26 Nosler seems pretty well suited to it, but haven't used it enough to wring it out real well yet. Give me about 10-15 years and if it is still working and I'm still hunting I'll let you know..... wink

Reading the responses so far (at least the semi-helpful ones), it seems there are two groups of scope users- the ones who feel money is no object so get the most expensive glass you can because it has to be reliable due to the cost. Then there are guys like me who squeeze our hunting/shooting hobbies into the rest of our lives and family time and settle for the best bang for the buck we can afford. To me, that has been Leupold for a very long time and lately the Bushnell products have improved their quality since their partnership with Bausch & Lomb to warrant a trial. I've had very few scopes fail of any brand, but the three I can think of are a couple Leupolds due to my rough handling- certainly not a factory or design problem, and a Bausch & Lomb 4000 elite 2.5 -10 that was on my favorite .338 for at least 12 years or more and went through hell and back with me. Finally was able to bend the tube on the B&L to the point it can't be repaired, so I have to decide if I want one of the new Nitro scopes for half price or..... ????? Still thinking on it..

Bob.
Doesn't matter whether it's optics or truck tires, internet forum reviews ain't worth spit and the forum "experts" don't know shyt from shinola.

Exactly.... The "experts" here only have their opinion or preference which doesn't mean any more than the non-experts here, but they'll sure try and tell you that they're right and you're definitely wrong.

And these same "experts" will ASSume the others aren't real shooters/hunters since they don't agree with them.

I'll continue to shoot Leupold, Burris, Athlon, Nikon, Mueller, Hawke etc.... and all have 1000s of rounds on them and work flawlessly. Shoot what works for you! Not based on some unknown on a forum telling you what they like. If someone wants to buy me their favorite scope then I'll use it, but it's your money, spend as you wish.

To answer the OPs original question; if Leupold was no more, I'd go Nikon or Burris.

What will you use Steve?

Haha 😆
Originally Posted by Judman
What will you use Steve?

I only have one Leupold, but it is not a target model. It's a 4x33.

I have never used Leupolds on any of my target rifles. I have used Bushnell for years. I only have three target rifles left now. Two have 4200 6-24x50s. One is on a 222 Rem. The other is on a 308. The third is on a 303, and I use a Bushnell 10x40.

I have a varmint 6x45mm in a Choate stock. I am using a Mueller 8-32. I also have an 8-32 on a 22LR for postal (now email) matches. I have a Burris 6.5x20 MD on the shelf.
Konus Pro is the only way to go. crazy
I will use my Leupolds until they wear out and fog over and won't shoot a 3 inch group. I have never had any of the problems described on here other they don't track like some claim their Night Forces and Zeiss do. But I'm not a turret cranker anyway. I sight in at the range 1 1/2 inch high at 100 yards and go hunting. I know all the holdovers for my rifle and load and if I need to shoot out to 400 yards I just hold over about 17 inches.

If Leupold goes away( I don't think they're going anywhere because they're still very popular other than on here) I'll buy Nikon or Burris. Nikon is my "OTHER" favorite scope. On another forum I'm on Leupold is king and Nikon and Burris are the dogs. There it's the same thing, certain people run them down and list 2 dozen problems with them I've never personally encountered.

On that forum the majority are anti .270 ANYTHING! And most of the bad mouthers have never shot, much less owned a .270. They keep hooting about there's not enough different bullets made for it, which I believe to be a crock. Now they aren't long range target rifles mainly because nobody makes a good heavy target bullet in .277 diameter yet, so that complaint may have merrit in that respect but I'm a hunter as most all there are. But their argument has no real merrit because if you ask them what bullets they use in such and such rifle they'll tell you they shoot nothing but. such and such, which is my answer to their complaint about the .270. I don't need 40 different bullets for it. Hell it's a deer rifle that I also use on hogs. But everybody makes the best weight hunting bullets for it which seem to be a 100 grain, 130 grain, 140 grain, 150 grain, and now some companies are making 160s and a couple specialty bullet companies are making as heavy as 170 or maybe 175 for long range in fast twist barrels. How many freaking bullets do you need? And I would bet at some point some of these specialty bullet makers like Matrix or Berger will eventually come out with some heavy accuracy bullets in .277 diameter.

I personally prefer a 130 grain either Sierra Game King or a 130 grainll Nosler Ballistic Tip and also the Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip for both deer and hogs. Any 130 grain Spitzer in a .270 are deadly on deer and medium size game out to the ranges I shoot at anyway, which is usually around 400 yards max. And I wouldn't be afraid to take it on an Elk Hunt if I ever get an opportunity to go on one. If so, I'll use another bullet made for it, a 150 grain Nosler Partition. And there's several more good 150 grain bullets capable of penetrating a heavy animal's skin and bones made for it such as the Swift A Frame and the Speer Grand Slam. It IS missile science but very basic Missile science. There's more than an adequate range of bullets made for the .270. But the point is this is a silly argument just like some of what's said about Leupold scopes on here.

Anyway, like was said, you can't always take what you hear on these forums to the bank. It's all about opinions and in truth there's probably a lot of scopes that work well, and a lot of different cartridges that will kill anything walking on this continent. Use what you want based on your personal experience, and I'd bet you will do well if you do a lot of shooting and hone your skills. It's more about the the nut behind the trigger than the trigger.
The Fire has over 60 different specialized forum categories, and there isn't one for me:

Leupold Anonymous Support Group

-- Only to be used by Leupold Set-and-forget users who are too ignorant or bull-headed to change to Nightforce
-- Cannot sign in using your normal forum name, must use an alias and a location somewhere in Eastern Europe
-- Must be using one or more Leupolds which can't track or hold-zero

This forum would be step-one of a 12-step process of recovery.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

You got yourself involved in the Hatfields and McCoys feud finally? That’s the only way I’d believe you’re pumping rounds like that a day from your living room couch. Makes complete sense. 😎
You must have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuuck what you believe. What I know is this. I live where I can shoot all I want, whenever I want. Off the back porch, the front porch, out the window, makes no difference, so I shoot a bunch because I enjoy it and I can. You fellas are good at running your lips and crowing about how great you are at shooting/hunting but I've got a drawer full of medals taken in registered competition so I don't have to guess whether I'm good or not. That has been tested on the firing line many times and proven beyond a shadow of doubt.
Currently I have ten scoped rifles, admittedly few compared to many here. Exactly half of them have Leupolds on them. As a dedicated set and forget type scope user I wait until they fail in some way, and cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't have any high dollar hunts to jeopardize, so that's not a worry. YMMV.
I use Leupold for hunting scopes and Sightron for target scopes. Have several SWFA ..glass sucks IMO
OK, here goes. I have a Leupold Mark 1 Ultra 16X on my prone gun. On my hunting rifles I have 3-9X Trijicon's and a 1-4X Trijicon with the big cross hairs on my .416 They all have a green center dot. I really like putting that dot where I want the bullet to go. I can keep both eyes open when I shoot. On the fclass guns, I'm using NightForce scopes. Back in the halcyon days of yesteryear folks liked the Leupold's as they had a reputation for not fogging. That was fine on your "set and forget" hunting scopes. I had two Leupold vari-x 3's that would not adjust. When I got them back from the factory for the third time they got to live with someone else. The Mark 1 is a positive adjusting scope and has never given me any trouble. Any way, that is what I use.
Originally Posted by Lorne

I think the majority of people will keep on, keeping on. With Weaver gone, if you need to replace either, you will have to decide whether to go with Leupold, Zeiss or change to a low power variable. I have a Weaver 4x on a 308. I think if it ever went south, I would look for another 4x.

I was disappointed to see/hear Weaver was done. K6 and K4 are very useful. I like the Leupold that I have : FXII 6 ; VXII 2-7 and an old 2.5X8 , not perfect but good. Doubt I would spend the $ for a L 4 power. Probably surrender and spend more $$ to buy a Z3 in 3X9.

I have to agree that, while I like Leupold, they are over priced in today’s market. That’s me , could be wrong

Forgot to mention I have an old Redfield 4X on a Savage 99 , 300
Moved to the SWFA HD series of scopes. Have a 5-20, 1-4 not in production , 1-6 and 3-9. Also have a few SS SWFAs 10X, 12X and a 3-15. Far more reliable than the 20 plus Leupolds I owned over the past 40 years.

You must have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuuck what you believe. What I know is this. I live where I can shoot all I want, whenever I want. Off the back porch, the front porch, out the window, makes no difference, so I shoot a bunch because I enjoy it and I can. You fellas are good at running your lips and crowing about how great you are at shooting/hunting but I've got a drawer full of medals taken in registered competition so I don't have to guess whether I'm good or not. That has been tested on the firing line many times and proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

>well darn: i live in the country too ,i got plenty trap trophies and a whole bunch of medals in archery in the harder class F.S. and at the bench rest shoots we did cash or you got a sheet of paper with how you did. but i got a wall full of elk,mule deer and whitetail horns , i shot with my old bow and Zwickey Broadheads, now days plenty horns just hangin in the garage too. but with my poorer eyes and age that scope works just fine on my single shot rifle too. and i bet there are plenty other guys that have done the same too in life as i have !
Originally Posted by pete53

>well darn: i live in the country too ,i got plenty trap trophies and a whole bunch of medals in archery in the harder class F.S. and at the bench rest shoots we did cash or you got a sheet of paper with how you did. but i got a wall full of elk,mule deer and whitetail horns , i shot with my old bow and Zwickey Broadheads, now days plenty horns just hangin in the garage too. but with my poorer eyes and age that scope works just fine on my single shot rifle too. and i bet there are plenty other guys that have done the same too in life as i have !
Yeah, I've got an archery trophy from a local tournament around here someplace too. Mostly just medals from the rifle tournaments, including three state championship medals, one from the Northeastern states championship, and many from local leugue shoots. I've also built and repaired firearms for a living for 10 yeas and have many whitetail antlers on my walls. I might even know almost as much about firearms and be almost as good with a rifle as some of the big shot experts on here.

Damn , you and JG need to stop picking on mentally handicapped individuals. It's not nice.

BTW the King of the Adirondacks and Pete53 arguing about who has the most medals is simply priceless. grin

Originally Posted by CJC73

What?! Don't you know all you need is a fixed 6x power to shoot those types of groups at 1000+ yards!

Who said that?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Damn , you and JG need to stop picking on mentally handicapped individuals. It's not nice.

BTW the King of the Adirondacks and Pete53 arguing about who has the most medals is simply priceless. grin

It's uber priceless Mr Adirondacks is too dam lazy to get off the couch when he shoots for minute of bear turd.
Don't have any competition trophys, but I got a garage and house full of bone and fur, compliments of Leopold glass...😎
Circling back to the OP question:
I have only incidentally sold or traded Leupold scopes on a couple of occasions. Without a precise count, I think I have in order from most to least: Burris, Leupold, Kahles, and one each Pentax, Leica, Sightron, and a Vortex. Zero Nikon or Bushnell. Happy Trails
If one ignores the usual bickering and nonsense, I tallied them up.

The question: Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

1.Nightforce - 6 votes
2. Burris - 5 votes
3. SWFA - 4 votes
4. Bushnell - 3 votes
5. tie -- Meopta - 2 votes. Whatever is on sale - 2 votes.
6. tie -- Vortex - 1 vote. Zeiss - 1 vote.

There really are two groups - target/competition shooters and hunters.

There really are two groups - target/competition shooters and hunters.

That's complete and utter BS.
I know plenty of people who like to dial and shoot long range but have never been in any kid of competition except the informal kind with their buddies.

Almost all are hunters who like to shoot accurate rifles at long-ish ranges.
I have a Swarovski Z5 that I love. The Zeiss Conquest is a great scope too. I have 3 Leupolds but the they left a bad taste in my mouth after I sent one of them back for repair a number of years back and it was not resolved to my liking.
© 24hourcampfire