Home
Doug’s price has me really looking but I normally would require parallax adjustment on a 12x scope.

Any actual users of this scope have any advice??
I just ordered a Klassik 3-12x42 from Doug and ordered parallax at 200 instead of the 100 standard.

I can’t speak to whether adjustable parallax is needed on this scope but I hope it is not. It is going to replace a 4-16 scope because i don’t want to be messing with adjustable parallax for the style hunting i do. And i wanted a first focal plane reticle.
I have several(5) of these, mostly 42mm version but 1 50mm at the moment. They are my favorite all around hunting scope and have couple I with the TDS reticle and shoot them out to 700 yards without any issues.

I think for the money that Doug is selling it's the best scope you can buy anywhere. You won't ever regret having this scope in your collection, super versatile.

Good Luck. J
Thanks JBB. Do you find the image reasonably sharp at further distances (300-400 yds)?
Yes, I find the optical quality very good. I currently have S&B, Swaro, GPO, Leopold, Leica & Zeiss in my collection. The image may not pop, seem has bright or colorful as some of the others but I find the scope the most useable in the field. One of my hunting partners just bought one last year after years of my praise now it's his favorite scope. The combo of the 1st plane reticle and the image quality work perfectly. On the last day of hunting season last year shot a doe at 315 yards with about 2 minutes of legal shooting time left in dark pine trees without issue, TDS reticle.

If you'd like to discuss just PM your contact info and I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Dave, I've had a 3-12x42 w/#4 for about 20 years now. By far the best hunting scope in the world. Nothing rivals it for clarity and toughness. powdr
You just about have me convinced.....almost.....
I wonder how the S&B glass compares to the 3-12 Bushnell LRTS/LRHS?
Please don't use the name Bushnell and Schmidt & Bender in the same post. powdr
Originally Posted by powdr
Please don't use the name Bushnell and Schmidt & Bender in the same post. powdr

whistle not to mention the price . I have the same scope that `I bought from doug and paid about 200 more it is crazy good in lowlight.

The LRHS/LRTS line is no slouch. Don’t kid yourself. For the most part I don’t care what label is on the outside. I judge by performance.
Still say the 3-12 Klassik would be improved with PA of some sort....
Pretty sure I’ll call Doug Monday.
Originally Posted by Daveh
The LRHS/LRTS line is no slouch. Don’t kid yourself. For the most part I don’t care what label is on the outside. I judge by performance.
Still say the 3-12 Klassik would be improved with PA of some sort....
Pretty sure I’ll call Doug Monday.

Comparing apples and oranges both Mechanically and by Optical performance. I would take S&B CS over just about anyone as well.

You want a long range hunting scope buy the Bushnell.

The Klassic has been made for decades without PA and is not a long range scope, just look at W/E max adjustment. However if you want one of the better lowlight scopes made the S&B and a few others are in a class of their own. It's a bargain at what Doug is selling it for, they are not made for everyone.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Comparing apples and oranges both Mechanically and by Optical performance. I would take S&B CS over just about anyone as well.

You want a long range hunting scope buy the Bushnell.

The Klassic has been made for decades without PA and is not a long range scope, just look at W/E max adjustment. However if you want one of the better lowlight scopes made the S&B and a few others are in a class of their own. It's a bargain at what Doug is selling it for, they are not made for everyone.

Good post OEH!
A couple of older builds of mine.
[Linked Image]
Sorry about the photopoop..
1.5-6x42 Flash Dot on top.
3-12x50 On bottom.
dave
Borrowed one of these but seems the illuminated dot isn’t very bright. Changed the battery but seems pretty dim even at dark thirty I had to have it at 6 before I could even barely see it on 12x.
Normal??
Borrowed one of these but seems the illuminated dot isn’t very bright. Changed the battery but seems pretty dim even at dark thirty I had to have it at 6 before I could even barely see it on 12x.
Normal??

These are built with the intention of the scope being a low-light performer, hence the very dim illumination on the lower settings. In other words, this is one low-light scope with acceptably-dim illumination -- built correctly, Many out there are far too bright in that regard and negatively impact your vision.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Normal??

These are built with the intention of the scope being a low-light performer, hence the very dim illumination on the lower settings. In other words, this is one low-light scope with acceptably-dim illumination -- built correctly, Many out there are far too bright in that regard and negatively impact your vision.

+1
I had a hunch this what I would hear but wanted to check as it seemed like settings 1-4 were of no value even in complete darkness.

Thanks guys. I am keeping it..... I may buy a Leica ERi in same configuration for another rifle. 😀
If you couldn't see 1 through 4 in full darkness -- and by that I mean at least an hour after official sunset and with no other light sources around -- then your scope is dimmer than the norm. Personally, I'd be thrilled as that makes it even more useful for moonlight conditions. A very crude but useful rule of thumb is that if you can clearly see the fully-illuminated dot in a well-lit room (looking at mid-or-light-toned walls or curtains) when on the lowest setting, it will likely be far too bright for true low-light applications. But for the 30-minutes-before to 30-minutes-after shooters, those will still likely work just fine.
I’ll double check it but for sure at 1&2 you cannot see any glimmer in a completely dark room....
I’ll double check it but for sure at 1&2 you cannot see any glimmer in a completely dark room....

It is probably very very slight
Tonight at 12x I can see the illuminated dot down to 2 (albeit just barely).
At 3x I can’t see any dot until 7x maybe 6x.

It’ll work.

Doug made me a deal on a 3-12x50 Leica Visus with same reticle as the S&B. The Leica is a SFP so it’ll be an interesting comparison.....

It’ll work.

Doug made me a deal on a 3-12x50 Leica Visus with same reticle as the S&B. The Leica is a SFP so it’ll be an interesting comparison.....

please do a comparo between the s&b and the leica visus. i'm contemplating those exact 2 scopes for the exact thing you are doing as far as a low light scope. from the pics i've seen i do like the visus ret a whole lot better than the segmented lines and center dot of the Klassik personally. just wondering how the visus compares optically in low light to the s&b klassik?? if you don't wanna update this thread feel free to pm me as i'm intently waiting on your discovery and comparo between these 2 fine scopes. if the klassik had continuous lines like a + and only when the illum was switched on just the very small middle dot lit up there wouldn't be a question. but the segmented lines i just don't care for personally.
thanks,
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow

It’ll work.

please do a comparo between the s&b and the leica visus. i'm contemplating those exact 2 scopes for the exact thing you are doing as far as a low light scope. from the pics i've seen i do like the visus ret a whole lot better than the segmented lines and center dot of the Klassik personally. just wondering how the visus compares optically in low light to the s&b klassik?? if you don't wanna update this thread feel free to pm me as i'm intently waiting on your discovery and comparo between these 2 fine scopes. if the klassik had continuous lines like a + and only when the illum was switched on just the very small middle dot lit up there wouldn't be a question. but the segmented lines i just don't care for personally.
thanks,
Big Ed

Segmented lines? They both look almost identical, I believe the Visus is 2nd plane , the other first plane

I go with the company that grinds and coats its own glass, only makes rifle scopes and has a superior warranty and excellent customer service.
yes oldelk in all of my extensive research the schmidt and bender klassik L3 ret looks like this roughly __ . __ except the dot is inline with the lines just segmented like i said and the visus is just like a zeiss #60 illum ret and is NOT segmented or broken lines and a dot that illuminated when turned on but if illum is off it looks like a wide #4 ret roughly like this + with just the center illuminating when turned on. i hope i explained it better so you can understand where i'm coming from.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
yes oldelk in all of my extensive research the schmidt and bender klassik L3 ret looks like this roughly __ . __ except the dot is inline with the lines just segmented like i said and the visus is just like a zeiss #60 illum ret and is NOT segmented or broken lines and a dot that illuminated when turned on but if illum is off it looks like a wide #4 ret roughly like this + with just the center illuminating when turned on. i hope i explained it better so you can understand where i'm coming from.
Big Ed

I do not have broken lines on my L3 reticle. Just the Dot illuminates. This is the scope I have which I bought last year from Cameraland

Schmidt & Bender Klassik Hungaria 3-12x50 LM L3 Reticle Scope #644-811-482-05-05H
wow oldelk it seems it varies widely then as when counseling with bobby tomek his didn't have segmented lines either but when i talked with doug and jerry from s&b he sent me pics of the L3 ret and it looked like meopta's 4c ret and were most deffinetly segmented/broken lines with a dot in the middle.
Big Ed
Ed,

I would not doubt it . If there is anything i dislike about this scope it is that the dot is maybe a tad large other then that it is superb.

Ed
just how big is the dot when on 12x please sir?
thanks,
Big Ed
Ed,

It covers a stick on target dot at 100 yards. It is always cranked to 12 when I shoot it at the range.

Ed

[Linked Image]
I’ll update this with my thoughts after it arrives early next week....
thanks oldelk and dave please do. i'll be patiently waiting ha!
Big Ed
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Ed,

It covers a stick on target dot at 100 yards. It is always cranked to 12 when I shoot it at the range.

Ed

[Linked Image]

just how big is the red dot oldelk? the size varies on the diff size bc stick on targets. if its 1/4" red dot that is well within reason to me at 100yds but if its the 2" version then yeah that would be a big,meopta 4c size,dot.
thanks,
Big Ed
FYI the dot in the middle just barely floats. Hardly any space.
Additionally, it covers right at 1” at 100yds.
thanks dave. still patiently awaiting your low light and illum comparo betwixt thw klassik and visus..........
Big Ed
The Leica arrived yesterday. The USPS connection between CL and eastern WA. must be good as it’s routinely 3 days....

Anyhow I only had time for a quick comparison but these two scopes are very much alike in size, weight and optics.
The S&B adjustments are very much more solid.
I like the illumination on the Leica as it goes low enough but is brighter on max but really both are going to work great in low light.
It really comes down to the reticle and which focal plane you prefer.
I haven’t made up my mind as I really like the S&B large dot in the pure sense of hunting but it’s really a toss-up.
Ok Dave how does the dot size compare between the Visus vs klassik? Also, have you had time to compare em in low light optic wise? Just wondering how the Leica compares to the vaunted Schmidt und Bender.
Thanks,
Big Ed
The Leica dot is smaller at 12x as it’s in the second focal plane. It is very, very much like the Leupold Firedot.

No lowlight test yet. This time of year it’s tough....
This morning about an hour before sunrise they were the same regarding brightness.
It was dark but a 3/4 moon with no clouds.

Probably doesn’t help but I think it boils down to which reticle you like and if you need daylight illumination....
thanks dave for your test. guess i'm going with the Leica as it appears i'm in the minority and actually prefer sfp scopes due to the ret doesn't swell up as mag increases and by nature the illum dot stays same size and not aforementioned swell of dot which i ain't a fan of big dots. i knew all that before asking you for the test i just really wanted to know optic and low light wise where the leica stands up to the s&b.
thanks again,
Big Ed
I have always been a fan of Leica and this one doesn’t disappoint......
Gentlemen,
I have a new rifle with gorgeous wood that I'm looking to dress up with a new scope. I'm considering one of the "end of product life" scopes, either Schmidt and Bender Klassik (ill) or Leica Magnus (non-ill) that are currently 40% off list. I've always wanted a S&B but 80% of my shooting is hog hunting here in central Texas and almost all of my targets are moving and multiple shots so quick target reacquisition , so the Leica wide field of view is attractive.

First question, on the FFP 1" dot at 100 yds. What is the size of the dot at 200, 300, 400, 500? (I don't think it would be 2", 3", 4", 5" but 2, 4, 8" ) Can anyone test this? (its essentially a mathematical question but I'm not a mathematician)

Also, they have German made 3-12x42's but only 3-12x50 scopes in the Hungarian made only (I'd rather have a 50mm, made in German, but its full price). I've been assured by multiple resellers and customers that they are the same German parts assembled in Hungary, but if I'm having reservations I assume others will as well. I'm assuming the Hungarians will probably not be able to be resold for anywhere near the same money as their German counterparts if I decide later that the scope isn't working out for what I intended it. Another person on here said "people had a problem with Zeiss taking their manufacturing out of German and into Hungary....until they built the plant in China" Now Hungarian made Zeiss are worth very near what the German ones are. (meaning all this could be for nothing)

Thanks for any thoughts.
I am intrigued about the Klassik 3-12 for low light hunting. Did anyone compare it with LHRS 3-12 side by side?
micro, i really like my leica visus 3-12x50 scopes. i put one atop my tikka t3 superlite 260 rem and one on my tikka t3x superlite 7mm-08 rem. at sight in,sighted both 2" hi at 100 yds, i shot my best to date group with the visus atop the teeker superlite 7mm-08 of a honest .25" 3 shot group@100yds with factory nosler 120 bt's. i was jacked as i really wanted my new teeker to shoot those bullets well.
good luck with your decision,
Big Ed
Originally Posted by Microbiologycory
Gentlemen,

Also, they have German made 3-12x42's but only 3-12x50 scopes in the Hungarian made only (I'd rather have a 50mm, made in German, but its full price). I've been assured by multiple resellers and customers that they are the same German parts assembled in Hungary, but if I'm having reservations I assume others will as well. I'm assuming the Hungarians will probably not be able to be resold for anywhere near the same money as their German counterparts if I decide later that the scope isn't working out for what I intended it. Another person on here said "people had a problem with Zeiss taking their manufacturing out of German and into Hungary....until they built the plant in China" Now Hungarian made Zeiss are worth very near what the German ones are. (meaning all this could be for nothing)

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have 2 Hungarian Klassics and One German Polar. I seriously doubt I would lose more on a Hungarian Klassic then I would on a German Klassic. THEY ARE THE SAME QUALITY,same material, glass , you name it , they are even inspected in Germany. The hungarian plant makes their optical glass for all S&B's.
© 24hourcampfire