Home
Posted By: Daveman Scopes and Glasses Do Not Mix! - 08/23/19
Here's my problem (a common one, I suspect): with many of my scopes, I can see the reticle and everything else through them very clearly without my glasses. When I put on my glasses, things get fuzzy fast. Even when I adjust the eyepiece as far as it will go either way, things do not get clear with my glasses on. But, I need glasses to see game from a distance. Is there an easy way to solve this quandary, without having to remove my glasses before I shoot each time?
Not common here. Worn glasses longer than I've been hunting. Don't have any problem with scopes. You might need to find an optician that understands using optics and get you lenses ground differently, you may be looking thru wrong part when in position to use scope. Or check with opthomoligist to see if there something else going on with your eye.
Cataract Surgery,several options for lenses. Worth checking out.
Polycarbonate glasses lenses? Poly is tough but optically, it's the worst stuff you can have for lens material.

I have no problem with glasses and rifle scopes or spotting scopes from 1x on my Muzzle-Loader to a few NightForce that top out @ 42X, to spotters that top out @ 48x and 60x.
Never had that problem. What brand of scope?
with my glass on the scopes appear to be come a little cloudy and small details are blurred.
[align:center][/align]I too cannot use glasses with a scope. But without glasses the scope clears it up for me. It's like corrective lenses for me. I can't see the target well without a scope. Iron sights don't work for me out past 50 yards or so. The scope acts like a corrective lens for me. When I look through the scope with my glasses it's too much correction and it blurs the target. I can see the target clearly without glasses looking through the scope. My eyes aren't that bad and I don't need that much correction but I need a little. That may be your case also.

Do you use binos? I use them to spot game with that I probably wouldn't see without them.
Although the focus knob must be readjusted, I do see a little better through my scopes without my glasses. However, while noticeable, the difference is not enough to make or break a shot.

Same is true when using binoculars, a loupe, or pretty much any optical device.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Not common here. Worn glasses longer than I've been hunting. Don't have any problem with scopes. You might need to find an optician that understands using optics and get you lenses ground differently, you may be looking thru wrong part when in position to use scope. Or check with opthomoligist to see if there something else going on with your eye.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

I have coke bottle bottom glasses and do just fine with scopes...BUT Ive got to mount them very far back, JeffO style, and Ive caught a lot of hell for it...
So that's what you're going to blame *catching hell* on........(grin)
I had no issues with mixing glasses and scopes until about ten years ago as my eyeglass prescription for acute near-sightedness became more and more extreme. I now need scopes with rapid focus eyepieces with a wide range of adjustments, good eye relief and forgiving eyeboxes. The older Zeiss Conquest and the MeoPro 6x42 are examples of these scopes. I have noticed that some more recent scope that I have or have tried require minimal adjustment even for my eyeglass. These include the Leupold VX-R, the Tract Toric and the Nightforce SHV.
I see clearly through my glasses. I see clearly through the scopes. It's only the combination that gives me fits, as if the scope over-corrects my near-sightedness. Most brands of scopes cause this result for me to one degree or another, though some are more acute than others.
Had that problem, every day glasses with progressive lenses. With my head just right I would get my reading lens to where it would fuzz the reticle, tilt my head down and it would clear up. Talked to my optometrist who was also a competition shooter and he suggested getting a pair of glasses made that were only for distance. Now I have to change glasses to see the scope adjustment but I see clearly at a distance and when I am looking through the scope.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Had that problem, every day glasses with progressive lenses. With my head just right I would get my reading lens to where it would fuzz the reticle, tilt my head down and it would clear up. Talked to my optometrist who was also a competition shooter and he suggested getting a pair of glasses made that were only for distance. Now I have to change glasses to see the scope adjustment but I see clearly at a distance and when I am looking through the scope.

I also use distance only glasses with scope sights.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I might have to go that route. I wear bifocals and last year got a bigger frame. Occasionally i might get the reticle fuzzed. It was hell when I had transition lenses looking at deer in twilight.
I am nearing poor sight.

What the topic reminds me of is blacktail hunting with my dad and his buddy when I was barely old enough to tag along. The buddy wore glasses. It was raining like hell, Western Oregon in October does that sometimes. Not only was he fogging up, and dripping beyond soaking wet but the poor guy had the chits too! Kept hunting though, all day. The good ol'days. Sadly he was killed timber falling a year or two later. Dad was never the same.
I hunt and shoot with my glasses and have no problems as long as the scopes are focused with my glasses on. Take the glasses off and they’re not anywhere close to being focused and they’re not focused for anyone else either.
Maybe a stupid question, and off-topic, but I'll ask it anyways. Can wearing glasses, as opposed to contacts, change POI?
Are you looking through the optical center of the eyeglass lens? Probably not. Even with the scope mounted higher than normal, most rifle stocks force you to tilt your head at an odd angle to get any kind of weld and look through the optical center of the eyeglass lens. That's why shotgunners have those weird looking shooting glasses that stick way up off the brow. You're not going to see anything clearly through the extreme edge of an eyeglass lens.

The suggestions for working with an ophthalmologist knowledgable about scopes is important. Your average lens flipper won't have taken an interest in the details of how things like that work.

Contact lenses are a better option if you can stand them.
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Maybe a stupid question, and off-topic, but I'll ask it anyways. Can wearing glasses, as opposed to contacts, change POI?

I have never experienced that. I have seen a scope go off by refocusing.

Contacts or glasses and Leupolds for the last 50 years, no issues.
I am legally blind without corrective lenses (20/220), and wear polycarb lenses for the lighter weight, and eye protection. No issue with scopes after I get head position, cheek weld, eye relief, and eye piece focus dialed in. But, I spend a lot of time getting scopes as low as possible on the rifle, and dinking / modifying mounts.
Posted By: cdb Re: Scopes and Glasses Do Not Mix! - 08/31/19
About ten years ago I found out by accident that I see better through my scopes without my glasses. I have had astigmatism and I’m not farsighted or nearsighted.
Odd, because a scope will not correct for astigmatism. Astigmatism is corrected by the curvature of ones eye glass lens. A scopes lens is not curved to correct for the many astigmatism variations.
This may be a small thing and not applicable in your case, but I have noticed a difference when looking through a scope with glasses with "progressive" lenses and those that just have a single prescription. Way better with the simple NON progressive prescription.
I've worn glasses for nearly 30 years, always managed to get the scope focused until this year. Bought a Super Chicken 6x MQ, with glasses on I can't get the hash marks focused, bold parts of the reticle are fine. When I take the glasses off, I can get the little devils sharp. I'm blaming it on growing cataracts, hopefully they'll get fixed next year.
I had a a similar problem appear about 17 years ago and had lasik surgery and VOILA all optic problems disappeared immediately.

Now I'm looking at cataract surgery in the next few years and expect my eyes to get even better with and without optics such as rifle scopes.

All in all lasik surgery saved me a BUNCH of problems and expense over the years.

Give up on spectacles.... They're so old school and expensive that I don't know hardly anyone that has stuck with them.
LDHunter,

After cataract surgery my left eye went to 20/15 and my right eye went to 20/20. Afterward I had an eye test and discovered I could improve on that with a little prescription so I went with it. I wear glasses all the time except when I hunt. They fog up when I hike so I go without and see very well anyway.

Now there are some lenses that work with your muscles so you don't need reading glasses! Outrageous.
My dad took his rifle to the optometrist.
Had a lens made that was put in a rubber cup, went over back of scope.
Years ago, not cheap, but not crazy expensive either.

Of course he was the last patient for the day LOL
I just got new glasses.
Had some back several yrs ago, light prescription.
Got second sight...........so not needed for a couple of yrs.
Back to decline, so got some.........Friday.

Only work with small area of lenses, in reg and close (bifocal).
Going back Tuesday to see WTF is going on. Most of the lens worthless.

Think whoever ground them really F'd up.
Blew a chunk o money..........for nothing.
Better to just get a cheap pair of readers.

Man I got a wicked headache from those pieces of chit.
Give em one chance to get em right.
Originally Posted by Ringman
LDHunter,

After cataract surgery my left eye went to 20/15 and my right eye went to 20/20. Afterward I had an eye test and discovered I could improve on that with a little prescription so I went with it. I wear glasses all the time except when I hunt. They fog up when I hike so I go without and see very well anyway.

Now there are some lenses that work with your muscles so you don't need reading glasses! Outrageous.

Here's a lesson I learned. If you rely on any type of corrective lenses then your eyes quickly become dependent on them. The doctor that did my lasik hinted at that.

17 years post lasik and I still refuse to use reading glasses and I'm a good bit past 60. It is a really rare situation when I need any sort of magnification for close up work because my eyes are used to working hard to see at any distance I ask them to.

I think we all rely on our doctors and ophthalmologists way too much while forgetting that just like everyone else they're businessmen that need the money too and will merrily guide you down the path that profits them.
Been using scopes without glasses, just winding out the eyepiece. However I've been dinking around with some iron-sighted stuff lately and for that I need a bit of correction to see the sights and the target really clearly. Played around with some light reading glasses and finally settled on +1.5 as the best. Not only can I see my sights okay, my view at a distance is much sharper, like the good old days. Tried them out driving, and could see the signs better. Looks like I'm 1.) overdue at the optometrist and 2.) need to refocus my scopes for the new setup. Hate wearing glasses in the woods, but hate missing out on spotting game more.

Passed my DL vision test in 2017, mostly because my left eye is better, but suspect next time I'll need the specs. Drat!
I'm nearsighted and have worn either contacts or glasses since I was in middle school. Over the last 30 years my RX has changed very little...basically none... I've never had problems with glasses or contacts and scopes or iron sights. When I try either scopes or iron sights without my glasses/contacts it ain't pretty.
© 24hourcampfire