Home
Posted By: hunter4623 Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Any recommendations for a low power scope to use on a Ruger Deerfield? Something lightweight and up to 6-7x. Using it as a stalking gun for upstate NY. There’s a few power line cuts, logging roads, etc where the shots might reach out to 125yards but mainly woods use. Looking for something that will gather light and has clear glass. I have a couple leupolds in this range. Anyone making one that jumps ahead of the others?
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Weaver Classic K4 would be perfect.
Posted By: skitish Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
I would suggest the Razor 1x6, If that is out of your price range then look at the Primary Arms 1x6 and 1x8.

A Lewey Vari X3 1.5-5X20 would be about perfect for what you're looking for, IMHO. Don't let the 20mm objective scare you off. I have a few of these on various rifles that I've used in the Catskills for 30 years or more, and they gather plenty of light well before and after legal shooting hours. And the size balances perfectly with a Ruger 44. I had one on a Deluxe model with the fluted fore end and no barrel band that I foolishly gave to my nephew.

A lewey Vari X3 2-7X33 would be my second choice, though it doesn't balance quite as well.
Posted By: erich Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
I'd look seriously at one of the 1-4x20mm scopes, even the Weaver V-3 works very well I've used them for coyote and deer hunting for years.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

FOV is your friend for the type of hunting your are doing. Keep them on 1x,"There is always time to turn the power up never time to turn it down"
I used a 2.5x20 with heavy duplex reticle on mine and it worked great. It was my tight cover woods gun. A 4x33 or 6x36 wouldn’t scare me either.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Eagle
I was very hesitant about the small objective. They pull enough light in during legal shooting times on a rainy northern day?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
4x Meopta in the classifieds
Meopta is sold
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Originally Posted by erich
I'd look seriously at one of the 1-4x20mm scopes, even the Weaver V-3 works very well I've used them for coyote and deer hunting for years.

FOV is your friend for the type of hunting your are doing. Keep them on 1x,"There is always time to turn the power up never time to turn it down"

I love Leupold 1-4s for this type of hunting. I’ve fired sub 1/2 moa groups with a German #1 on 1x (lots of luck, I’m sure), but point is: 4x is far more than enough to shoot a deer where you need to, to beyond 200, and I’ve shot running stuff with them, very quickly, from a few feet on out. I put them on all sorts of stuff, even turkey shotguns. They’re the lightest, most compact LPV I know of, that can be had in suitable speed/low light reticles. Eye box is very accommodating for still hunting, as well.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
How's that Deerfield function and shoot?

They took them off the market before I ever saw one.

Anything from a fixed 2.5 to a 2-7 would be fine.
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Eagle
I was very hesitant about the small objective. They pull enough light in during legal shooting times on a rainy northern day?

Absolutely! As stated, I've been using them for over 30 years in every imaginable weather condition and never, not once, have I wished I had more light. Forgot to mention that I've only still hunted my entire life. As suggested by another poster here, I keep the mag dialed down to the low setting and dial up if the need arises. Good luck with your decision. Let us know which way you go.
Good info. I’ve had a couple 1x variable leupolds over the years but mostly on slug guns. I don’t do much shotgun hunting so I don’t have a bunch of varied field experience with them. I have a couple VXRs which I like. I’ll do some research between the VXR and 3XVi. The illuminated reticle is nice but I’m not sure which has better glass. They seem to be around the same price.
It’s more about seeing the reticle.....20mm has plenty of light at 3-4x, but the regular duplex disappears to me in very low light. Heavy duplex, #4, or my favorite #1 for the 1-4 Leupold, IME.

I have both.....the VX-R illum is nice, but it’s not as light and compact as the 1-4. Neither is the trijicon accupoint 1.25-4, but it’s closer....if you want illum. The Trijicon triangle is VERY fast, and a smidge more precise on the tip than the Leupold German #1, but I use them both for the same purposes and distances, interchangeably.
Pappy
I love mine. I’ve been looking for a good deal on one for the last 5-6 years. Found some really nice ones up around $1k. Too rich for basically a big bore 10/22. Found lots of beat up ones around $700. Bided my time and came across one in exceptional shape. Widow had a friend sells her husbands guns. I got the gun for $750 and I don’t know if it’s had a box of ammo thru it. Perfect shape. I’m a bit hesitant to even drag it thru the woods but guns were made to be used and I’m going to use it. Came from the factory with a peep but in low light, snow, etc., it isn’t effective for my style of hunting. I’ve only shot it for function so far. Trigger is heavy. At some point, I’ll take it apart and do some smoothing of the surfaces. Heading to NY in a couple weeks. Well do some sighting in and see what she’s capable of. Hopefully we get some snow. Put on my wool, grab the carbine and hopefully score on a deer.
Whiskey
I’m a big fan of the #4. It’s either that or illuminated for me. I’ll be 46 next week and my eyes aren’t what they used to be so I’ll take any help I can get when the sun sets
Posted By: erich Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
My weapon for hunting in the timber now. Target is 100 yards with factory PPV 139gr SP's. That is a Weaver K-1.5.

Try thatGerman #1 out.....it’s like a big, single plane open sight, when you need it, and about as easy to see in low light as anything ever made without illum
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Pappy
I love mine. I’ve been looking for a good deal on one for the last 5-6 years. Found some really nice ones up around $1k. Too rich for basically a big bore 10/22. Found lots of beat up ones around $700. Bided my time and came across one in exceptional shape. Widow had a friend sells her husbands guns. I got the gun for $750 and I don’t know if it’s had a box of ammo thru it. Perfect shape. I’m a bit hesitant to even drag it thru the woods but guns were made to be used and I’m going to use it. Came from the factory with a peep but in low light, snow, etc., it isn’t effective for my style of hunting. I’ve only shot it for function so far. Trigger is heavy. At some point, I’ll take it apart and do some smoothing of the surfaces. Heading to NY in a couple weeks. Well do some sighting in and see what she’s capable of. Hopefully we get some snow. Put on my wool, grab the carbine and hopefully score on a deer.

I had a 77/44 for a bit, killed a deer, and liked it, but it had a crappy trigger (which now I know a couple of ways to fix) and poor balance. Traded it towards a Lifetime Keeper Browning Low Wall .22 Hornet. My current .44 is another Low Wall with irons sights. Now, if I needed one easy to scope, I'd get another Henry Single Shot. Very nice rifles, and not just for the price. Not much point for me since the .308 and .44 are identical externally.

Within their range, .44s are hammers.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Millett SP-1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Shadow Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
This one.....

https://www.swfa.com/burris-1-5-6x42-mtac-30mm-rifle-scope-3.html?___SID=U

Checks all your boxes....
Originally Posted by erich
My weapon for hunting in the timber now. Target is 100 yards with factory PPV 139gr SP's. That is a Weaver K-1.5.

That thing is purty....I’m jealous
Posted By: old_willys Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm would be my choice, I used one on my Montana 358 and could easily hit out to 300+ yards with it. At 6.5 ounces it will be nice and light, if it takes the beating I give it on my 4.5 lb 358 it would be fine on your Deerfield.
Great shooting with a Red dot DD
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Diamond jim has a vari x 111 in 1.5x5 in the classifieds for sale. Seems that would be ideal.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Redfield Revolution 2-7x33. Leupold owns them now and rumor has it these use the old VX2 glass. Very happy with mine.
I’d caution a couple of things on that package, at least from my POV (and I’ve had two) : red dots are light and fast, but suck for low light hunting. 30mm and illum and >4x together is gonna cost you weight.....16oz and up, vs the 9-10 of a small light simple scope.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Great shooting with a Red dot DD

It does well with that sight. The sight has been quite durable as well, being about 20 years old at present. Last time I shot it was much closer and relevant to typical distances here in the swamps. A Brooks mould spits out 320 grain bullets and the rig did this at 20 yards not long ago. In my neighborhood shots of 20-50 yards are the norm, but having shot the gun at longer distance I'd not hesitate to stretch it out to 150 or so. The 3 MOA dot is obviously capable of shooting small groups, and is adjustable thru 11 levels of brightness. It does quite well in low light but is somewhat challenged if the target is lightly colored and standing in the mid day sun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
Mine wears an older Leupold 1.5-5X that has been fine. I have a few that I need to sell. PM me if interested.
Posted By: szihn Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/27/19
I also am pleased with the Redfield 2X by 7X scopes.

My 2 favorites were the Weaver K3 and K4, but those jerks at Weaver dropped both of them. I am still growling about that.
I have a Leupold 1-4 x20 pig plex on mine. A good enough scope for a gun I will probably never shoot more than 100 yards more likely no more than 50 if Im honest. Where I plan to use it in the Hills of Southern Ohio in Wayne National Forest in 25 years I don't think but once I have got a shot over 50 with most 20 to 30. Funky reticle but suited for that type of hunting. Price was right for the scope.
Go with a red dot. I have one on my revolver in 44 mag (on all 3) and I have shot deer to 111 yards which is about my limit off a solid rest. you should get better velocities than me so you can stretch it out further.
I shoot a vortex Venom on 2 of them and a trijicon RMR on the other. trijicon is bulkier. 3 moa dot works great.

You can also go with a 3x red dot. Vortex and sig make them for the AR platform which is where i have one.

You dont need much more. the red dots also are better in low light i find.

ToA
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/28/19
I find red dots are far worse in low light (for hunting) that even the cheapest conventional scopes. FOV actually stinks, it’s just an optical illusion from both eyes open/speed use that makes you think you have a decent FOV THROUGH the red dot. You don’t. Once it gets dark, you’ll figure it out. I’ve run most aim points, trijicon, and eotech stuff made for over 20 years, and still do. They have a purpose. I don’t hunt first/last light with them. JME
Posted By: talentrec Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/28/19
I have the Leupold UltimateSlam shotgun/Muzzleloader scope on mine (2-7X33). It's the perfect size for the rifle, and the holds are pretty much spot on as far as I'd ever shoot anything with it.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/29/19
I decided on the leupold freedom 1-4. It was a tossup between this and the VX-R. It came down to tube side. I think the 30mm tube is too much for this gun. I have a VX-R on a .458 SOCOM AR and it’s overkill for the Deerfield. Should be here by the end of the week. I’ll give a report after I get it to the range. Thanks for the input
I decided on the leupold freedom 1-4. It was a tossup between this and the VX-R. It came down to tube side. I think the 30mm tube is too much for this gun. I have a VX-R on a .458 SOCOM AR and it’s overkill for the Deerfield. Should be here by the end of the week. I’ll give a report after I get it to the range. Thanks for the input

Good choice
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 10/31/19
Meopta is sold

One available in the classifieds
Posted By: JJF Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 11/01/19
I have the tube fed version of the Ruger 44 Mag Carbine. I have an IOR 4X with 4A reticle on mine. Unfortunately, I don't think this scope is made anymore, though I'm not sure and you might be able to get one used. I've had it on my carbine for many years without any issues. It may be on the heavy side for what you're looking for, since it has a steel tube (1") but it has amazing clarity and is excellent in low-light. Also, the FOV is large. I should mention that not only is this scope very clear but it has the clearest sight picture of any scope I own (and I do have a Meopta Meopro scope). Good luck in your quest.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Scope for .44 Deerfield - 11/02/19
When i get my dads old fingergroove .44 itll get a 1-4x or 1.5-5x Leupold on it
I wish Ruger would bring this carbine back!
© 24hourcampfire