Home
I was in a gun shop yesterday and the owners were talking about Nikon getting out of the scope biz. Seems they were called by a couple of distributors who let them know. Anyone else heard this?
No big loss

They can quit making binos too, as far as I am concerned

Not hard to do better
Too bad in some ways. Nikon was an excellent optics company as witnessed by their 35mm camera lens and cameras. Like most of the others they have subcontracted their stuff out.
Originally Posted by hatari
Too bad in some ways. Nikon was an excellent optics company as witnessed by their 35mm camera lens and cameras. Like most of the others they have subcontracted their stuff out.

Maybe that and people don't buy cameras anymore. People just use their cell phones to take pics and videos with.
With their new warranty policy I think they will be getting out of the scope business whether they want to or not.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
With their new warranty policy I think they will be getting out of the scope business whether they want to or not.

This^^^^^^. Don't let the door hit them
Only info I seen on this was a post made on April 1st this year.
I never understood their product positioning. I always thought the ProStaff scopes gave an awfully good value for the dollar, while the higher end Buckmaster and Monarch lines were quite disappointing given their cost. One would think a company would want the “WOW!” factor to be in their top-endmodels, rather than the entry level ones.

FC
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I never understood their product positioning. I always thought the ProStaff scopes gave an awfully good value for the dollar, while the higher end Buckmaster and Monarch lines were quite disappointing given their cost. One would think a company would want the “WOW!” factor to be in their top-endmodels, rather than the entry level ones.

FC

And now the buckmaster, called the II, now is their cheapest

15 years ago, we sold the stew out of the old buckmasters, awesome scope for the money, I thought and still think having owned monarchs that the buckmaster was just as good if not better. Then the prostaffs came along and turned out to be great value and everything seemed good in the nikon world, had 3 options. And for some reason they started the prostaff 3/5/7, monarch 3/5/7, and a cheap buckmaster ii series mess and no one could really tell where all the scopes fell in line. I think that really hurt them.

i wasn't aware they changed up their warranty policy, I've sent one monarch and a camera lense back, and had both fixed or replaced in just a few weeks. Buddy sent an old nikon from the 80s back and they sent him a brand new monarch.

Can someone elaborate?
Nikon makes very good price point scopes and binos. In the under $500 range the Monarch 7's are as good as any and better than most. I only own two scopes, both Prostaff EFR 3-9x40. Excellent AO rimfire/air rifle scopes for under $200.
It is my understanding that as of January 1st 2020 Nikon will be out of the riflescope business completely. The sports optics division will still be offering binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders.
What they will do about handling riflescope repairs and or warranties I have no idea.
Their people probably read this forum and r ed listed leupold has the optic works sewed up 😗😗
Originally Posted by Fotis

Can someone elaborate?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14128692/1
I couldn't possibly have a better understanding of the situation as gr8tful, but had read a few months back that scopes were going to be separated from the rest of their wares & into another venue, division, etc.

Considering the warranty changes that Doug posted in Sep. & Nikon seeming to want to separate or dissociate the rest of the business from anything that would have to do with the word gun, rifle, or pistol, the best thing for all, customers especially, would be for them to just go away.
Suck it Nikon.
You could definitely see the writing on the walls going back 2 years. Pulling out of the NRA show just months before it started and then this year pulling out of SHOT Show. Add the huge warranty changes after this just bumped up the warranty on electronics 2 years ago said it all. I'm definitely not buying any electronic for hunting that only has a 1 year warranty. Makes you think there has to be a reason?
Let the other companies step up and earn your business.
Bet there will be some fire sale level discounts on the Buckmaster and Prostaff scopes in the next few months.
I only have one. A 4x rimfire on a 1972 model 25 marlin. I dont think I could put a better scope on for the money I paid. I like it.
I have four excellent Nikon Scopes. One of the best is the cheapest one, an older Prostaff I paid $160 for 12 years ago. Then I have 3 of the old Buck Masters that were competitive with the Leupold VX-2, before they cheapened them. They are all very clear and hold immaculate ZERO. I can't speak for other's experience but for mine they have served me well. Nikon and Leupold are my go to scopes.

Maybe I have real good or real bad eyes, but I can see as good at dark thirty with my old Prostaff than I can with the almighty Knight Force. I think all that talk about better optices letting you see better at 30 minutes after sunset is a crock of Bull CaCa. At 30 minutes after sunset I really can't see crap with anything and I go home. Also, I've seen more shooter bucks at sunset than I ever have 30 minutes after.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Nikon has always had warranty issues.

I bought a $10k survey instrument that kept messing up with the onboard software it had. Totally messed my surveying schedule up. It was under warranty, and was shipped to an authorized repair center, they didn't fix it, so I sent it to another warranty center and they finally did fix it.

Warranty period had run out while it was in the shop, and Nikon wouldn't cover it. mad

I sent them several GFY letters to the top levels on Nikon. Didn't do any good. I was even told they didn't care if I was a satisfied customer... OK.

I tell this story every chance I get. It wasn't the couple hundred dollars for the repair. It was the principle.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Nikon has always had warranty issues.

I bought a $10k survey instrument that kept messing up with the onboard software it had. Totally messed my surveying schedule up. It was under warranty, and was shipped to an authorized repair center, they didn't fix it, so I sent it to another warranty center and they finally did fix it.

Warranty period had run out while it was in the shop, and Nikon wouldn't cover it. mad

I sent them several GFY letters to the top levels on Nikon. Didn't do any good. I was even told they didn't care if I was a satisfied customer... OK.

I tell this story every chance I get. It wasn't the couple hundred dollars for the repair. It was the principle.

I would be pissed off as well .
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Bet there will be some fire sale level discounts on the Buckmaster and Prostaff scopes in the next few months.

Don't bet on much warranty help, if needed.
Iffin ya get it cheap enough just look at it as a throw away.
I have no clue about their warranty because I've never had a Nikon scope go bad, and I've got several of them. I've always thought they were good glass for the money.
I have few nikons and they been good to me and think they offer good glass for the money.
I had a warranty issue once. Sent in some older binocs I had and got told to provide receipt and what not.
Didn’t have it. But in the end they took care of me and I ended up with a better binocs then I sent in.
So for “me” Kind of sad to see them go.
But I also agree their new line up is just too busy....Pro staff 3,5,7 monarch 3,5,7. Wtf?
Nikon has come under fire from animal welfare groups and some wildlife photographers over its new 'Monarch' line of rifle scopes, designed for game hunting.

Marketed as being 'Engineered for Safari' Nikon's Sport Optics website carries claims that the new Monarch-series scopes are created 'for those seeking dangerous game adventure on the Dark Continent' - an archaic term for Africa which is controversial in itself.

British newspaper The Independent has published a short feature on the controversy, noting that Nikon's photographic products are often marketed as ideal tools for getting close to, and capturing images of animals, while - crucially - not harming them.

Trophy hunting, of the sort that Nikon's Sport Optics division seems to be explicitly referencing in the marketing materials for its Monarch-series scopes, is hugely controversial. This kind of hunting is highly lucrative for certain African countries, but many claim that it is damaging, too. The Independent cites research by Scientific American magazine research that suggests the practice may have contributed to a halving of the population of lions in Africa over 30 years.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3408229447/nikon-under-fire-for-making-rifle-scopes
Originally Posted by Goosey
Nikon has come under fire from animal welfare groups and some wildlife photographers over its new 'Monarch' line of rifle scopes, designed for game hunting.

Marketed as being 'Engineered for Safari' Nikon's Sport Optics website carries claims that the new Monarch-series scopes are created 'for those seeking dangerous game adventure on the Dark Continent' - an archaic term for Africa which is controversial in itself.

British newspaper The Independent has published a short feature on the controversy, noting that Nikon's photographic products are often marketed as ideal tools for getting close to, and capturing images of animals, while - crucially - not harming them.

Trophy hunting, of the sort that Nikon's Sport Optics division seems to be explicitly referencing in the marketing materials for its Monarch-series scopes, is hugely controversial. This kind of hunting is highly lucrative for certain African countries, but many claim that it is damaging, too. The Independent cites research by Scientific American magazine research that suggests the practice may have contributed to a halving of the population of lions in Africa over 30 years.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3408229447/nikon-under-fire-for-making-rifle-scopes

So basically Nikon is bending to the leftist liberal tree huggers?
Seems like Nikon has always been ashamed of their relationship with the barbarians of society, no?
No different than Bausch and Lomb.
Midway shows Buckmasters II 3-9x40 as discontinued .

these came on 2 of the budget rifles i have.
Always felt that Nikon offered the most bang for the buck in binoculars. I still use my first gen monarch 8 x40’s. Also had good luck with the original Buckmaster scopes, Prostaff’s, and older monarchs. The new monarch are way to bulky for me. The pro staff 2-7 is a goodie.
That and then the lack of warranty on Cabelas house brand scopes now....they are setting the stage for their competitors to pick up a lot of business....I know the local Dick's Sporting Goods " Field and Stream" over in Medford is into Nikon Big Time...
birds of a feather flock together....kissing the Tree Hugger crowd's asses...
Again, Pulling out of the NRA Show was huge as far as showing where their allegiances run. Pulling out of SHOT Show 2020 was the final red flag that this was coming. I just hope that they continue to take care of everyone who has warranty issues. There have already been some huge sales and no doubt there will be more. I would assume they will keep their Spot On shooting program going for a few more years to keep those who have BDC reticle scopes happy. Then again, keeping their hunting/shooting customer's happy, IMHO, doesn't seem to matter much to them. I say this a lot, support those who supprt us! From site Sponsor's to 2A rights to hunters and shooters. We have to stick together to win.
© 24hourcampfire