Home
Posted By: Jevyod Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
So I have been a hunter, pure and simple. Recently I have discovered how much I enjoy punching paper. I am planning on working over one of my rifles and have that as my paper punching gun. If it matters, caliber will be 25-06. So I am not sure what scope/magnification to go with. I like fairly high magnification, I have shot 3 power at 100 yards before. I am thinking something in the 12-16 power range. Was thinking fixed instead of variable since money is really an issue. (You remember what it was like to get married, and buy a house?) anyway, money does NOT grow on trees around here. would like to keep it under 300. Range will be from 100-500 yards. I am considering the SWFA SS 12x42. Any other brand with good fixed power scopes that I should be considering? I want to learn how to dial my scope for particular ranges, so reliability in that department would sure help. Also warranty is a pretty big deal to me, and for that reason I am thinking Nikon is off the table.
Posted By: Oldschool65 Re: Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
Used Leupolds or Weavers even Redfields.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by Jevyod
So I have been a hunter, pure and simple. Recently I have discovered how much I enjoy punching paper. I am planning on working over one of my rifles and have that as my paper punching gun. If it matters, caliber will be 25-06. So I am not sure what scope/magnification to go with. I like fairly high magnification, I have shot 3 power at 100 yards before. I am thinking something in the 12-16 power range. Was thinking fixed instead of variable since money is really an issue. (You remember what it was like to get married, and buy a house?) anyway, money does NOT grow on trees around here. would like to keep it under 300. Range will be from 100-500 yards. I am considering the SWFA SS 12x42. Any other brand with good fixed power scopes that I should be considering? I want to learn how to dial my scope for particular ranges, so reliability in that department would sure help. Also warranty is a pretty big deal to me, and for that reason I am thinking Nikon is off the table.

Why a 25-06 for a paper puncher?

An SWFA fixed power is the bang for buck option for what you want.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Jevyod

Why a 25-06 for a paper puncher?

An SWFA fixed power is the bang for buck option for what you want.

the only gun I had that I would consider turning into a paper punching gun was a 30-06. Wanted something that was lighter recoil, but there is a slight chance it will get hunted so did not want to modify the action too much. Plus I have an older man that I have become friends with, and he used to be a gunsmith. He will be helping me do the work. He really likes the 25-06 round, built quite a few of them, and this gun will also partly be something to remember him by. My question is why not?!
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
For what you want and your price range I don’t see a better answer than a SWFA.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope power/brand - 11/18/19
For an out to 500 yard paper puncher I'd select something with a smaller case capacity to bore ratio and a better selection of target oriented projectiles.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Scope power/brand - 11/19/19
Originally Posted by mathman
For an out to 500 yard paper puncher I'd select something with a smaller case capacity to bore ratio and a better selection of target oriented projectiles.

Anything in mind that would work on an 06 action? Had thought about 270..
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope power/brand - 11/19/19
If you gotta go '06 length then how about a 6.5-06 with a quick twist barrel? There's a better selection of target bullets in 6.5 than there is for .25 and .27 cals.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Scope power/brand - 11/19/19
Jevyod,

As much as I like higher end glass, I still think the best scope value is a Tasco World Class 4-16X40. They are about $100 last time I checked. That's what I would get if I was starting out. In fact I used them until the last fifteen years when I switched to Bushnell 6500 and Swarovski z5.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Scope power/brand - 11/20/19
Originally Posted by 444Matt
For what you want and your price range I don’t see a better answer than a SWFA.

I'd probably go with the 10X myself, but I can't see any issue if you like the 12's. They got alot of use around my house. Excellent scopes for the money.
© 24hourcampfire