Home
Posted By: 16bore Binoculars.....6X vs 8X vs 10X - 02/02/20
Messed around with 3 sets of binos today (in the field, not showroom). Gotta say I really like the stability and FOV with 6’s. Between the 8’s and 10’s it just might be a toss up unless a tripod comes into play. Hand held 8’s seemed to be a better gig than handheld 10’s and maybe the extra 2X is lost in stability. And maybe I need to have my eyes checked again.

Anyway, curious as to thoughts of the same from others.
This is how I roll 16, 8-32, 12-50's, 15-56's... Meopta. 8's are my favorite, most versatile.
I prefer an 8x
15's are swarovski, I've ran swarovski for 20 years, I like meopta the best, but will slum the 15' til they puke..
But I travel the West with leupold, so take it with a grain of salt... Grin
I love an 8x, easy enough to hold steady, and the FOV is bigger, and I've never had trouble spotting animals. But if you're trying to sort out what you're seeing in terms of headgear, and it's a ways off, my buddies with 10x can do a little better.
I've got 6.5x32's, 7x42's, 8x32's, 8x42's, and 10x42's. For most of my hunting I prefer the 7x42's. I really like the larger exit pupil and depth of field for use in the wood and still hunting. I ran some really good 8x32's this year as I wanted something lighter than the heavy 7x42's but in the end I prefer the 7x42's in every aspect except weight....but I've decided I'm willing to carry the extra.

Thinking hard about some 12x50's for the times I'm on ag fields. They might make a good pair with the 7x42's.
Get the highest power and largest objective you can hold steady with hands only and that is not a burden carrying around your neck all day. If you notice the weight of a binocular after a day afield, it's too heavy. For several years, I've found a Swarovski EL 10x42 ideal in all respects. There are likely others that will work about as well.
I really like the 8X. 10X is too much instability offhand for me. If I had to choose 6X or 10X, I would easily choose 6X.
Back in my bighorn sheep & mtn goat hunting days----I used a 7x42 Leicas. I could tell if they were rams with the binos. Then I put a spotting scope on them to really look at the horns. For elk-----I just used the Leicas---I could tell if it was a legal bull-----the me that's all that mattered-----I was looking for meat not antlers.

I used in them South Africa & AK. I shot a nice grizzly. Somehow they fell in the stream/river we had to cross to get the bear. I guess there somewhere out in the Bering Sea.
I’ve been using 8x allot more the last 2 years. I can’t convince myself to completely part with 10x but I can hold the 8s noticeably steadier. I’ve been really impressed with the 8.5x42 EL. So far, they have been about the perfect compromise for me.
TxHunter80, those 6’s are quite impressive. My brother and I both were shaking our heads.
I have used most of the Euro bins. These days I carry Minox 10 x 43 APO's and Swaro 8 x 20' s in my pocket.
I always carry a compact spotting scope as well.
I hunt sheep, firstly. Elk, goat, deer seasons run concurrently. Sheep hunters carry good glass.
I am always horseback so I take enough gear I use a Manfrotto monopod to steady the 10x. It works well for me.
Got an older pair of Minox 6.5's with IF, love them for up to mid range. As the magnification goes up so does the weight, hard to use as a hand held, 8x for me is about the max.
[quote=16bore]TxHunter80, those 6’s are quite impressive. My brother and I both were shaking our heads. [/quote

I thought so too. If somebody just handed me a pair, I would’ve guessed they cost allot more than they do. Great value
I like 8X binos for all around use.
I have 6.5x32, 8x32, and 10x42
I usually take two pair when I go hunting, one around my neck and the other in my day pack. Which two depends on the vegetation in the area. For any benefit from the 10x I need to be able to steady my elbows against something.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Messed around with 3 sets of binos today (in the field, not showroom). Gotta say I really like the stability and FOV with 6’s. Between the 8’s and 10’s it just might be a toss up unless a tripod comes into play. Hand held 8’s seemed to be a better gig than handheld 10’s and maybe the extra 2X is lost in stability. And maybe I need to have my eyes checked again.

For scanners you basically have it, yes....

I love a 6-7x for scanners which is what it appears your post is about, chest bins.
I use a pair of 10x42 swarovski slc's for 98% of my hunting. I don't find 10x to be hard to steady, but if it was I'd have no problem going with 8x42's. I have a pair of 8x32's that I use some bowhunting but really prefer the full size binos, they feel better in the hand and seem to have a lot better field of view.
I run 10x42’s for most of my hunting though I do have some 8’s as well. I am almost always wearing a ball cap when hunting so I just hook my index fingers over the bill of my hat for stability.
I have 10x25 cheap Nikon's. Old Pentax 8x42 DCF. And newer Leupold 10x42 BX-3 Mojave.

I like the higher magnification. But the lower power models have an advantage in low light.

I might enjoy some higher end 8x32, but the 10x25 is so compact and lightweight.
Posted By: SLM Re: Binoculars.....6X vs 8X vs 10X - 02/02/20
8X for quick looks for me.

Had a pair of 7X42’s stole a while back and am thinking of replacing them.

8x works great for my style of hunting. I use the Leupold BX3 Mojave with great results near and far.
Posted By: WAM Re: Binoculars.....6X vs 8X vs 10X - 02/02/20
I have 3 each 8x42 s of different makes. I’ve tried 10x and they seem to work OK for sitting in blinds, which I do little of. I’ll stick with 8x for hunting. Happy Trails
Depends wholly on the distance involved and what you are trying to see. Sometimes weight is also a major consideration. Lens technology has gotten so good that the difference in mid priced to premium glass has shrunk considerably. For me it is 8X Zeiss compacts, 8X Tract standards, 10X Zeiss and 12.5 Tracts. Had some 15X Swaros but switched to the Tracts for larger FOV and I carry a spotter for the real detail/distance viewing.
The new Kowa BD II 8x42 is an 8x with the wide FOV of a 6x Check it out
419’ looks pretty damn wide....
As of this moment, my wife and I have 22 binoculars, with magnifications that range from 6x to 16x. With the exception of a couple antiques that I have on hand for historical comparisons, they all get used at some time or another--but we have more 7x, 8x and 10x binoculars than anything else, in fact equal numbers of all three.

Some comments:
I really like the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite for being light and compact, with plenty of magnification for certain purposes, whether woods hunting or even glassing for really big game in more open country, accompanied by a spotting scope of course. Used to have a 6x Zeiss pocket binoculars from the early 1990s that was also very good, and even lighter--but it turned out not to be sealed against moisture (which was also true of Zeiss riflescopes in those days).

There aren't as many 7x binoculars made anymore, but it's also great option for those who mostly glass "offhand."

8x is now the general choice for general glassing, especially for those hunters who take relatively quick looks, especially offhand. My favorite right now is the Burris Signature HD 8x42, because it has very good optics in a very lightweight, but full-size, package.

I prefer 10x for real glassing, sitting down and picking apart the country, because it definitely provides more detail than 8x. But if I for some reasong I had to spend the rest of my life with one binocular, it would definitely be my 8+12x42 Leica Duovid. At 42 ounces it's on the heavy side, but not so much I'm not willing to carry it for days at a time, and the weight actually helps for serious work. When turned down it provides the advantages of 8x--a sharper view from relatively unsteady positions, wider field of view--but when on 12x it provides noticeably more detail than 10x.

Also still have a Minox 15x and Nikon 16x for tripod use, but don't use them all that much anymore, since with the Leica on 12x the logical step up is a spotter.
I’ve got an ancient pair of Tasco 7x50’s that I believe have a magnesium body. They’re like a cinderblock around your neck.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I use a pair of 10x42 swarovski slc's for 98% of my hunting. I don't find 10x to be hard to steady, but if it was I'd have no problem going with 8x42's. I have a pair of 8x32's that I use some bowhunting but really prefer the full size binos, they feel better in the hand and seem to have a lot better field of view.

Generally, my feelings too except I use Leica.

Always 10x for hunts that will have more sitting & glassing, especially long distances, along with a spotting scope; 8's (only a little lighter/smaller) if I'm moving more, glassing quickly for shorter periods & at shorter distances...........6's or 7's would probably be almost as good, but I have what I have & am not going to buy new for the small differences.

MM

I've been using some 8x42 Kahles for 15 years now and love them. Bought some of the economy grade 8x32 Swaros a few years back and they went down the road fairly quick. Glass gave me fits , they were light though.
I think people checking out those 6x Yosemites were surprised at how much magnification it offers. The field of view is huge and makes for a very comfortable transition from naked eye to bin.

I am liking the compact size of the newer 8x32 roof but they were much better when using in more open spaces. In semi-thick cedars which are a repetitive picture , if I am being honest, I would say the power is too much and field of view too small for me to pick up on that fence post or burnt brown patch I see obviously with the naked eye. Those 6x were much better for that.

I have always felt something in the 7x35 was about the best of everything and guess I still do- even though the 6x30 Yotes would be perfect for where I typically hunt now. Course I gifted them already.
If Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski made a 7x32/35 that would be my do-all glass. Since they don't I use a Leica 8x32 Ultravid.

Personally I have no use for 10X glass, if I need more than 7x or 8x I'll pull out a spotter.

As a backpack hunter I find 40/42mm glass too much of a burden. However, to my eyes, the two finest binoculars on the planet are the Leica 7x42 Ultravid and 8x42 Noctivid.
I have a 15 year old pair of Japanese Nikon 7x42 binos that let me count antler points out to several hundred yards and still let me scan the woods at shorter distances and still have a decent field if view. I can't keep the 10X still enough to keep from driving me crazy and the field of view is small. 8X would serve about like my 7X I figure.

There are several "clones" with that configuration......Athlon Midas, Hawke Frontier, GPO ED, new Viper HD, etc, all with similar eye relief.
Wish I could have an alpha 7/8x30-35 with a LRF on board. Since I can't have that, I carry a Swaro EL Range 8x42.
Originally Posted by Brad
If Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski made a 7x32/35 that would be my do-all glass.

I could dig that.
I sold a 7x42 Ultravid some years back - not one of my better moves.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
The field of view is huge and makes for a very comfortable transition from naked eye to bin.

FOV, after a certain point, is highly over rated, IMO.

MM
One of the handiest all-around hunting binoculars I've owned was the 7x30 Swarovski SLC they offered in the 1990s. Compared to what Swareovski offers today, the glass wasn't quite as good, but they were still far more than adequate--and light but very rugged. They were also noticeably brighter and sharper than the 8x30 SLC they made at the same time, due to the larger exit pupil.

However, have talked to both Swarovski and other binocular makers about 7x, and most are not enthusiastic about it, mostly because of average customer prejudices. In fact, not all that long ago I did an informal poll at a big trade show, and apparently 10x outsells any other magnification across the board, even in "pocket" binoculars, where it does not work nearly as well as 6x to 8x, apparently because many people believe more is always better.

Among the semi-antique binoculars in my collection is a Nikon Porro-prism 7x35, the first really good binocular I bought, almost 40 years ago. The optics still compare VERY well with the best of today's, one reason it still goes into the field now and then.
I used a Swarovski 7x30 SLC for years. A really good binocular, but for me the optics and eye relief just weren’t up to the Leica 8x32BN that I replaced them with, or the later 8x32 Ultravid.

But if any of the Big 3 would make a 7x mid, that’s what I’d use (barring an overly flat field like the Swarovision).

Leica has done a new/old 7x35 Trinovid, but it’s only offered with leather, so it’s a no-go for me. Had they offered a rubber armored version as they originally proposed I’d be an owner. I think a 7x35 roof prism is the most practical sized bin that could be made.
If Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski made a 7x32/35 that would be my do-all glass. Since they don't I use a Leica 8x32 Ultravid.

Personally I have no use for 10X glass, if I need more than 7x or 8x I'll pull out a spotter.

As a backpack hunter I find 40/42mm glass too much of a burden. However, to my eyes, the two finest binoculars on the planet are the Leica 7x42 Ultravid and 8x42 Noctivid.

Your do all might have just been released. I don't know if its hit dealers yet but Leica is making a 7x35 Trinovid with a 460ft fov at under 21oz
https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-trinovid-7x35.html
Those are leather, not rubber armored.

MM
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Your do all might have just been released. I don't know if its hit dealers yet but Leica is making a 7x35 Trinovid with a 460ft fov at under 21oz
https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-trinovid-7x35.html

See my post directly above yours:

Leica has done a new/old 7x35 Trinovid, but it’s only offered with leather, so it’s a no-go for me. Had they offered a rubber armored version as they originally proposed I’d be an owner. I think a 7x35 roof prism is the most practical sized bin that could be made.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

There are several "clones" with that configuration......Athlon Midas, Hawke Frontier, GPO ED, new Viper HD, etc, all with similar eye relief.

I've never compared the others but I did see a pic of the Kowa and Hawke next to one another. The eye cups look a little different but they do look very, very similar otherwise. I guess it would come down to QC, coatings, and company support when making that call
"Cloning" has been going on for at least 20 years. Around 2000 around 4-5 optics companies introduced essentially the same binocular. The only difference was the company name emblazoned on the exterior.
The first world-class binocular (whatever that is) I ever owned is my 8-12x42 Leica Duovid. Like John said they are pretty close to all-around perfection, for me, and the added weight they represent isn't objectionable for all day wear, provided a harness is used and not a neck strap. I reckon they'll see me through to the end. I've stopped looking at other binoculars.
I have a set of Swarovski SLC 7x30 that are great in the field.
gnoahhh,

Am somewhat surprised that your hunting optics are so "advanced," given your hunting-rifle selection.

But I have generally found that finding game is more important than the rifle used to kill 'em.
16bore: I own and use binoculars in 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 powers.
I have no trouble what so ever holding and using my 12 powers steadily and efficiently!
I match the power chosen to where and what I am Hunting and use that selection - have done so for decades.
I recommend at least having two powers of binoculars to use/choose from - those being 7 and 10 powers.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have 7 power Leica's, they are great in the woods and shorter distances. They are great for looking into timber and picking it apart. I have seen lesser quality 10x do better at distance however.
My original 8x32 Swarovski ELs tend to follow me on most hunts. Lately I’ve been really enjoying the newly designed 10x25 Swarovski Pocket Binos. Liked them so much I even got my old man a pair.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
My original 8x32 Swarovski ELs tend to follow me on most hunts. Lately I’ve been really enjoying the newly designed 10x25 Swarovski Pocket Binos. Liked them so much I even got my old man a pair.

You got good tastes in binos...and riflemakers....:-)
IMHO, What all seem to have overlooked in the various posts is resolving power. A quality 6 x or 7x glass which has sharper lenses will let you see more detail than an 8x, or 10x binocular which has poorer lenses with less resolution.

You might find an older pair of Zeiss or Leitz 6x binocs which will be a lot sharper than higher power glasses at a lower cost. Color rendition may not be on a par with modern coated lenses.

Now, resolving power....resolution in lines per millimeter....is an optical specification that appears to be carefully kept from consumers so side by side comparisons viewing objects with fine details might be in order. Or you might be able to fine an optical resolution chart somewhere.
I like 8x for the whitetail woods and 10x for out west. Looking at adding a pair of 15x with a tripod. Don’t need a tripod with 10x if you use a trekking pole as a monopod. -jr
I like my full size Toric 10x and old Yosemite 6 and 8 porros.

Would like a smallish set of 6-8x binos though. Not pocket size, but 25-30mm objective roof prisms would be cool. The Yosemite’s are fine, just a bit bulky at times.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

Am somewhat surprised that your hunting optics are so "advanced," given your hunting-rifle selection.

But I have generally found that finding game is more important than the rifle used to kill 'em.

Ouch! MD was expecting a brass monocular! ...grin...
It seems like this thread is bearing out my personal belief that everyone's gotta use their own eyes to see what works for their particular vision, body, &/or hunting situation.

Vision: I agree the 6x Yosemite is extremely clear, bright, & sharp. I'm just not able to use them without experiencing considerable eye strain within 3 to 5 minutes. That doesn't mean that most of the rest of world is wrong, it just means those don't work for me.

Body: Leupold 8x32 Bx3 Mojave is an absolute, "Wow!" binocular for me, but some have reported they didn't fit their face very well. I can't begrudge those people their experience. Eyecup designs have been a make or break issue for many, many people who wear glasses.

Situation: I've compared an alpha 8x42 to many others, and hardly been able to detect a difference vs. binoculars even as cheap as $300. This would be in Midwestern corn fields, or Eastern hardwood forests, or Southern swamps. However, that same pair of alphas was able to resolve game that a quality $500 pair could not. This was while glassing for dog-sized game... 2 ridges away... in the Alps... It's always great to get the best pair of binoculars you can afford, but if you're not hunting some really wide-open spaces, you may not really be able to see the difference vs. much less expensive glass. What, where, and how you hunt are important considerations, that can help hunters settle on reasonably priced binoculars that will do all that's ever required in those situations.

We're blessed to have so many excellent options these days. It can also be a curse.

FC

I bought a pair of Yosimite 6x30’s for my daughter awhile back and was impressed with them. Then a set of KOWA 6x30’s and like them quite a bit.

I’ve got 8x42 Diamondbacks and 10x42 Vipers. Being a cheap ass and not wanting a bunch of stuff laying around, the 8’s & 10’s are a bit of a pickle.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
gnoahhh,

Ouch! MD was expecting a brass monocular! ...grin...

I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century! grin (Sort of!)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have the following binos:
1. Leica Geovid 8X42 with Range Finder. SUPERB glass, but heavy and bulky
2. Swarovski 10X42 SLCs. Great for spotting but like the Leicas a bit heavy for trekking.
3. Swarovski 8X30 SLCs. Great for day time spot and stalk, pretty much a great all-rounder
And my favorite (ready?);
2001 vintage Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8X42s with the "click" adjustments. go figure...
I bought a pair of Yosimite 6x30’s for my daughter awhile back and was impressed with them. Then a set of KOWA 6x30’s and like them quite a bit.

I’ve got 8x42 Diamondbacks and 10x42 Vipers. Being a cheap ass and not wanting a bunch of stuff laying around, the 8’s & 10’s are a bit of a pickle.

I wouldn't have all the ones I have except I got them all on sale or clearance.

I bought the Nikon 10x25 first, brand new, for $60. Regularly about $100.
Then picked up a. Bushnell H2O 8x42 for $30 at a pawn shop. These are the ones I loan out if asked.
Then the Leupold BX-3 Mohave 10x42 at a pawn shop on clearance for$75.
And then, I just couldn't walk away from the Pentax 8x42 DCF WP for $35. Also a pawn shop clearance.

I don't do a ton of glassing. So I really like the little easy carrying Nikon 10x25 for a quick close-up look in the field. And the Mohave 10x42 for the truck. But I'd surely love to replace the two 8x42's for some high end 6, 7 or 8 by 30, 32, or 35.
DollarShort,

The optics in the Pentax DCF SP are pretty hard to beat.
DollarShort,

The optics in the Pentax DCF SP are pretty hard to beat.

Yeah, they are really nice. From what I understand, they were a best buy when they came out 15 or 20 years ago.
I read about them on Cloudy Nights. https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/Pentax-8x42-DCF-WP-with-Phase-Coating.php
An ounce or two heavier than the Mohave. But not real noticeable.
But I still wouldn't mind a Swaro SLC 7x30 if I ran across a deal. Or similar Leica.
I might reconsider, and let go of the Leupold since it would probably bring a greater return, if I decide that I have too many to use them all.
The 7x35 used to be the scope back in the days when everyone used a 4x rifle scope. I use the 6x Yosemite and 10x Leicas the most but wish for a good medium 7 x30 or 35mm. With 10x Binos I loose clarity if I don't have a rest of some sort. I carry shooting sticks for spot and stalk type glassing.

Age becomes a factor for some with less steady hands this is when a lower power is an advantage. I wouldn't mind a pair of the Pentax or Swaro's for general use. Another factor with aging is the Alpha binoculars help improve definition but the superiority over the middle tier of binoculars is lost somewhat to older eyes. Like the others I think two pair of binoculars is the way to go, or even three.
DollarShort,

In 2002 I had a new Pentax DCF SP 10x42 binocular, and a friend of mine from Virginia came out to hunt mule deer with me in the Missouri Breaks here in Montana. He'd just purchased a Swarovski SLC 10x42. Early in the hunt it became obvious that I was picking up detail in the Pentax that he wasn't with the SLC. We started switching back and forth, and while the difference wasn't much, it was in favor of the Pentax. Another Montana friend was also along, who had an older Japanese binocular of some other make, and he tried both of ours and came to the same conclusion.

Of course, Swarovski upped their game after that--as did the other Euro-companies, at least partly due to Japanese glass becoming so good.
"Cloning" has been going on for at least 20 years. Around 2000 around 4-5 optics companies introduced essentially the same binocular. The only difference was the company name emblazoned on the exterior.

Is it just typically appearance differences on the cloned models or is it common for companies to change coatings, internals, etc? I’m curious if some end up as substantially better products than others
I use a 7x42 binocular.

mmmmm.......Here I thought I was about the only dinosaur that still preferred 7x binos.

I have the 1st gen Bushnell Custom 7x26 compacts, updated 7x30 and 8x30 SLC's, and 10x42 SLC's. If I had to choose for general purpose hunting it would be one of the 7x's.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is 3D image/depth of field, a quality that I feel is important when finding critters to begin with. Although resolution is important in identifying or checking out antlers/horns (barring a spotter), I think a good 3D image is important and may be easier on our stereoscopic vision/eyes too. Lower magnification may be a function of 3D image.

The 7x30 SLC's have always been known to have excellent 3D image and when I had them updated I was afraid I may lose some of that, but the 3D image ended up being better than ever.
I like 10 powers
TxHunter80,

Sometimes there are diffierent tweaks in the lens and prism coatings, but sometimes they're the same binocular with a different outside.
Casey,

One of the interesting things about binoculars trends over the last 30 years or so is that roof-prisms became the In Thing, after phase-correction coating was introduced. But full-size Porro-prism binoculars provide more of the 3D effect, because their objective lenses are farther apart. Yet top-notch Porros haven't done very well in the market since phase-coating appeared, or at least the higher-priced models haven't. Mostly they're considered OK for "affordable" glass, like the 6x30 Leupolds and Kowas.
I agree with you Mule Deer on the 3D. My buddy has an older pair of Nikon SE's in 8x32, and it is absolutely amazing to look through. He tells me they are about 15 yrs old or so. He claims the biggest knock on them is that they aren't very waterproof.
And that's one problem with Porro-prism binoculars--though many of the newer models are sealed--as were at least the later SE's.

Have used my 6x30 Yosemite (at least a decade old) in various wet places from Alaska to Florida with no problems.

However, many not-so-old roof-prism binoculars weren't sealed either. Apparently many European companies didn't believe in sealing eiter binoculars or scopes until the late 1990s.
Now that I primarily hunt Idaho and do more open country glassing I've switched from 8.5x42 EL Swarovisions to 10x42s.

10X for me.....all the way....sometimes we have to count points on antlers......so all the power I can handle is fine.....I'd move to 12 X if I could find the right ones
Those Kowa BD II 8x42 Doug mentioned are awesome glass for the money. Same thing is true of the Kowa 6x30's. As I have gotten older, the 6x30's see more time in the field.....
Wonder how they might compare to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42’s? I’m not sure I’m sold on 10’s yet.

Definitely like the 6x30’s
I hunt with a Burris Signature 8x32 semi-compact. 4.25" long, 16 oz., 19mm/0.75" eye relief with nice eye cups (3 pullout stops), but not quite as expansive FOV at 333 ft compared to others in its class having around 370 to 430 ft (which tend to be longer/bulkier, less eye relief. Always a tradeoff).

Decent glass, but not elite. Purchased in 2005 still compare favorably for bulk and weight, but lag cutting edge lenses. A lot of bang for the buck for just over $200. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of them.
I have 6.5X32 and 10X42, I use the 6.5 most of the time.
Have done same and concluded same. 10x is lost on me if handheld. 6x does much more at distance than expected. Obviously someone with steadier hands may conclude differently and be correct for themselves.

8x with wide FOV is the middle of the road and most versatile for my use.
Got a great pair of Leupold 6x30 on the 24. Love them in the brush. Have 8x42 in the house and pole barn and treated myself to Zeiss 10x32. Love them for distance when spring woodchuck hunting and weight is perfect.
May trip the 8 and 10 Vortex for a set of Zeiss Terra ED 8x42’s.

Haven’t heard much on them yet.
May trip the 8 and 10 Vortex for a set of Zeiss Terra ED 8x42’s.

Haven’t heard much on them yet.

We have a call in special on the Terra's if you have a moment to give a call, 516-217-1000
When Doug says “call”, you’d better call......

Just sayin.
I was just scanning the horizon with my 8x42's and picked up a vulture that couldn't be seen with the naked eye, and wonderin how much clearer and closer up I could've seen him with 10x42's.
Everything is a compromise though. Weight and size with the 42's. FOV with the 10x. Magnification with the lower powered bino's. And exit pupil with the lightweights.
And the wiggle....
I’ve got 8x30 Swarovski SLC, 6.5x32 Minox, and 10x50 Pentax. The Swaros are my general purpose, go anywhere binos that have served me very well on international or western trips where I only wanted to deal with one. The Minox have become my favorite for turkey hunting or woods hunting for deer on my Mississippi property. The Pentax are reserved for late evenings when deer hunting over fields. The deer usually come out only at last legal light. You have to check bucks for antler restrictions — 13” main beam or 10” inside spread in my zone.
I have 10x. Next pair will be 8x.
So now I’m looking at:

6x30 Kowa
8x42 Diamondbacks
8x42 Zeiss Terra ED
10x42 Vipers

Gonna be a long sit, seeing what’s what and what’s not....
Doug has a direct line to the Pony Express too....
So now I’m looking at:

6x30 Kowa
8x42 Diamondbacks
8x42 Zeiss Terra ED
10x42 Vipers

Gonna be a long sit, seeing what’s what and what’s not....

Call us about the Terra ED and we'll make your Valentines Day smile
Been using a good set of Steiner Hunting 7X50 for some years but they're getting dated. I want to try the 8x30's for an all round binocular. powdr
10’s are out, if anyone’s looking.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...80931/vortex-viper-hd-10x42#Post14580931
© 24hourcampfire