Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
If Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski made a 7x32/35 that would be my do-all glass. Since they don't I use a Leica 8x32 Ultravid.

Personally I have no use for 10X glass, if I need more than 7x or 8x I'll pull out a spotter.

As a backpack hunter I find 40/42mm glass too much of a burden. However, to my eyes, the two finest binoculars on the planet are the Leica 7x42 Ultravid and 8x42 Noctivid.

Your do all might have just been released. I don't know if its hit dealers yet but Leica is making a 7x35 Trinovid with a 460ft fov at under 21oz
https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-trinovid-7x35.html

Last edited by TxHunter80; 02/02/20.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are leather, not rubber armored.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Your do all might have just been released. I don't know if its hit dealers yet but Leica is making a 7x35 Trinovid with a 460ft fov at under 21oz
https://leicacamerausa.com/leica-trinovid-7x35.html

See my post directly above yours:

Originally Posted by Brad
Leica has done a new/old 7x35 Trinovid, but it’s only offered with leather, so it’s a no-go for me. Had they offered a rubber armored version as they originally proposed I’d be an owner. I think a 7x35 roof prism is the most practical sized bin that could be made.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by 16bore
419’ looks pretty damn wide....

There are several "clones" with that configuration......Athlon Midas, Hawke Frontier, GPO ED, new Viper HD, etc, all with similar eye relief.

I've never compared the others but I did see a pic of the Kowa and Hawke next to one another. The eye cups look a little different but they do look very, very similar otherwise. I guess it would come down to QC, coatings, and company support when making that call

Last edited by TxHunter80; 02/02/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"Cloning" has been going on for at least 20 years. Around 2000 around 4-5 optics companies introduced essentially the same binocular. The only difference was the company name emblazoned on the exterior.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The first world-class binocular (whatever that is) I ever owned is my 8-12x42 Leica Duovid. Like John said they are pretty close to all-around perfection, for me, and the added weight they represent isn't objectionable for all day wear, provided a harness is used and not a neck strap. I reckon they'll see me through to the end. I've stopped looking at other binoculars.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/02/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a set of Swarovski SLC 7x30 that are great in the field.

Ted
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

Am somewhat surprised that your hunting optics are so "advanced," given your hunting-rifle selection.

But I have generally found that finding game is more important than the rifle used to kill 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
16bore: I own and use binoculars in 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 powers.
I have no trouble what so ever holding and using my 12 powers steadily and efficiently!
I match the power chosen to where and what I am Hunting and use that selection - have done so for decades.
I recommend at least having two powers of binoculars to use/choose from - those being 7 and 10 powers.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have 7 power Leica's, they are great in the woods and shorter distances. They are great for looking into timber and picking it apart. I have seen lesser quality 10x do better at distance however.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My original 8x32 Swarovski ELs tend to follow me on most hunts. Lately I’ve been really enjoying the newly designed 10x25 Swarovski Pocket Binos. Liked them so much I even got my old man a pair.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 02/02/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
My original 8x32 Swarovski ELs tend to follow me on most hunts. Lately I’ve been really enjoying the newly designed 10x25 Swarovski Pocket Binos. Liked them so much I even got my old man a pair.

You got good tastes in binos...and riflemakers....:-)

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
IMHO, What all seem to have overlooked in the various posts is resolving power. A quality 6 x or 7x glass which has sharper lenses will let you see more detail than an 8x, or 10x binocular which has poorer lenses with less resolution.

You might find an older pair of Zeiss or Leitz 6x binocs which will be a lot sharper than higher power glasses at a lower cost. Color rendition may not be on a par with modern coated lenses.

Now, resolving power....resolution in lines per millimeter....is an optical specification that appears to be carefully kept from consumers so side by side comparisons viewing objects with fine details might be in order. Or you might be able to fine an optical resolution chart somewhere.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 02/02/20. Reason: add
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I like 8x for the whitetail woods and 10x for out west. Looking at adding a pair of 15x with a tripod. Don’t need a tripod with 10x if you use a trekking pole as a monopod. -jr

Again. Again. Again. -H. Brooks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like my full size Toric 10x and old Yosemite 6 and 8 porros.

Would like a smallish set of 6-8x binos though. Not pocket size, but 25-30mm objective roof prisms would be cool. The Yosemite’s are fine, just a bit bulky at times.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

Am somewhat surprised that your hunting optics are so "advanced," given your hunting-rifle selection.

But I have generally found that finding game is more important than the rifle used to kill 'em.

Ouch! MD was expecting a brass monocular! ...grin...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It seems like this thread is bearing out my personal belief that everyone's gotta use their own eyes to see what works for their particular vision, body, &/or hunting situation.

Vision: I agree the 6x Yosemite is extremely clear, bright, & sharp. I'm just not able to use them without experiencing considerable eye strain within 3 to 5 minutes. That doesn't mean that most of the rest of world is wrong, it just means those don't work for me.

Body: Leupold 8x32 Bx3 Mojave is an absolute, "Wow!" binocular for me, but some have reported they didn't fit their face very well. I can't begrudge those people their experience. Eyecup designs have been a make or break issue for many, many people who wear glasses.

Situation: I've compared an alpha 8x42 to many others, and hardly been able to detect a difference vs. binoculars even as cheap as $300. This would be in Midwestern corn fields, or Eastern hardwood forests, or Southern swamps. However, that same pair of alphas was able to resolve game that a quality $500 pair could not. This was while glassing for dog-sized game... 2 ridges away... in the Alps... It's always great to get the best pair of binoculars you can afford, but if you're not hunting some really wide-open spaces, you may not really be able to see the difference vs. much less expensive glass. What, where, and how you hunt are important considerations, that can help hunters settle on reasonably priced binoculars that will do all that's ever required in those situations.

We're blessed to have so many excellent options these days. It can also be a curse.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 02/03/20.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought a pair of Yosimite 6x30’s for my daughter awhile back and was impressed with them. Then a set of KOWA 6x30’s and like them quite a bit.

I’ve got 8x42 Diamondbacks and 10x42 Vipers. Being a cheap ass and not wanting a bunch of stuff laying around, the 8’s & 10’s are a bit of a pickle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

Ouch! MD was expecting a brass monocular! ...grin...

I was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century! grin (Sort of!)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/03/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the following binos:
1. Leica Geovid 8X42 with Range Finder. SUPERB glass, but heavy and bulky
2. Swarovski 10X42 SLCs. Great for spotting but like the Leicas a bit heavy for trekking.
3. Swarovski 8X30 SLCs. Great for day time spot and stalk, pretty much a great all-rounder
And my favorite (ready?);
2001 vintage Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8X42s with the "click" adjustments. go figure...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.