Home
Posted By: gunzo SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
When they offer one in second focal plane & moa I'll buy one.

I know they discontinued the SFP MOA 5-15, so the 3-9 probably ain't gonna happen.

But this old buzzard still wants SFP & MOA.

I will live with the 20 ozs. if the tracking they are said to have is there. I just want them the old way.????????????

BTW, I have a flip phone.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
If stuck in the Ice Age, the NF SHV 3-10x FP may be more to your liking. It's SFP and MOA, which is why I'll never own one. grin
Posted By: gunzo Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
I know, Nightforce has my number for specs, just not my budget.
The ice age, funny.

I'm in the Rockies in the 1970's taking game with a SFP, back again in the 1980's, same. oops, back again in the 90's ........same.

The Rockies must have done a hell of a flip flop,now requiring FFP & metrics. whistle grin
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Why are radians metric?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
I think you should just buy the current 3-9x MQ, see it and handle it for yourself, then if you absolutely can't deal with FFP and mils, then send the sucker back. You'd be out shipping costs. Small price to pay, instead of waiting until infinity for SFWA to make your SFP MOA scope laugh
Good point, 4th point, them building a sfp probably ain't gonna happen. Thought about what you say. A tough as hell & dependable scope from all reports.
Posted By: atse Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
They are excellent scopes. If you try it, I think you will like it.
Originally Posted by mathman
Why are radians metric?

Busted here, but how about Greek to me, can't grasp it, & not about to get into it with, the mathman.

Too; old, dumb,, stubborn to grasp or keep up with it all.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Why are radians metric?

Because they’re accepted as the SI unit of angular measure. grin
Posted By: micky Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Or, how about the metric system makes MUCH MORE sense than the American standard system. Given its different and a bit odd to use at first but whenever I build something I find centimeters and millimeters much easier than fractions of an inch.
Posted By: aalf Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
When they offer one in second focal plane & moa I'll buy one.
I know they discontinued the SFP MOA 5-15, so the 3-9 probably ain't gonna happen.
But this old buzzard still wants SFP & MOA.
I will live with the 20 ozs. if the tracking they are said to have is there. I just want them the old way.????????????
BTW, I have a flip phone.

A Fuucckin' Men Gunzo......except I have a 10 year old Motorola "smart phone"......
Posted By: sbhooper Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Don't overthink that mil thing. Just get it, use it and move according to distances, and don't worry how to break down the process. All you have to remember, is that the mil is about .3 inches of movement at 100 yards. Do the math, when you move out farther. I don't like MOA anymore. I do have one scope left, that is MOA, but it is drop compensated, so I don't use the dial much.

I don't have the 3x9, but I have several 6 and 10x and they do everything that I need.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Good point, 4th point, them building a sfp probably ain't gonna happen. Thought about what you say. A tough as hell & dependable scope from all reports.

There was a similar situation a couple months ago where one of the members here was interested in the SWFA scopes, but wasn't 100% sure. My suggestion was that he try a 6x with MQ reticle, as it would be a low cost experiment. I figured he could try it, on his rifle, and if it didn't work out for him he could sell it used for $200+. I sold him one of my Black Friday specials, so the risk was minimal. Turns out that he liked mil-mil and the reticle, and bought two more.

The 6x might be a good option for you as well. Wait for one of the sales, or buy one from the SampleList at SWFA to save a few bucks.

The 3-9x is a great scope, if you're still leaning that direction.

Posted By: Sycamore Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Why are radians metric?

I don't know if radians are, but milliradians certainly are.....you know, based on factors of ten and all that.....
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Why are radians metric?

Huh, now I’m beginning to wonder what the definition of a “Mathman” is...😱😂
Posted By: David_Walter Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
@sbhooper,

A mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2011/2/18/mil-moa-or-inches/
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
A radian is a radian, period. It can be called metric if it's adopted as part of that system.
Guys,, I was just bitchin. I probably could get the hang of it, but just dread it, or don't really want to. Dealing with one or 3 scopes in mil, & throw them in amongst 2 dozen scopes in moa just seems like it would be a cluster flop. I've beaten this horse before.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
Guys,, I was just bitchin. I probably could get the hang of it, but just dread it, or don't really want to. Dealing with one or 3 scopes in mil, & throw them in amongst 2 dozen scopes in moa just seems like it would be a cluster flop. I've beaten this horse before.

You may be underestimating yourself and missing out on a lot of fun. I read Formi's instructional post on the subject and got it. I then spent some time w/ a friends 308 CTR w/ the SS 3-9 and good dope and was hooked. It is so easy that even this 73 yo, flip phone toting boomer can do it. Knowing how to match POA w/ true POI is a revelation and a ton of fun. Warning, you will soon be buying a bunch of steel and upgrading your rangefinder.grin They also are rugged and reliable and affordable, no down side.

mike r
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/23/20
I went from scared to death of MILs to dialing and killing animals with my 3-9 in less than a month.
Posted By: gunzo Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

You may be underestimating yourself and missing out on a lot of fun. I read Formi's instructional post on the subject and got it. I then spent some time w/ a friends 308 CTR w/ the SS 3-9 and good dope and was hooked. It is so easy that even this 73 yo, flip phone toting boomer can do it. Knowing how to match POA w/ true POI is a revelation and a ton of fun. Warning, you will soon be buying a bunch of steel and upgrading your rangefinder.grin They also are rugged and reliable and affordable, no down side.

mike r

Thanks miker, but I have a bunch of steel & my rangefinders are a Swarovski laser guide, A Leica LRF 900 & a Bushnell Arc 1000. My ballistic software does need a third upgrade though.
I'll read the tutorial.
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Why are radians metric?

My question was loaded.

I'm wondering who can accurately define radian measure of angle without looking it up.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Why not buy one and use it as a "set and forget" scope? You don't have to dial and holdover and all that fancy stuff if it scares you that badly. Just buy it for the ruggedness.
Posted By: sigguy Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why not buy one and use it as a "set and forget" scope? You don't have to dial and holdover and all that fancy stuff if it scares you that badly. Just buy it for the ruggedness.

If the OP chooses to go that route, he'll have a wait a while to buy a new SWFA 3-9. I ordered one at the end of the last Black Friday sale, and it is STILL backordered. They told me last week that the next load of them MIGHT be here in April.

I love the SWFA 3x9 I have now, and also have an SHV 3-10. If you're not going to dial much the SHV is a nice scope. They are about the same weight, but the SWFA gives more latitude in mounting unless you use a rail.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Why are radians metric?

My question was loaded.

I'm wondering who can accurately define radian measure of angle without looking it up.

As I understand it, if you have a piece of pie, the distance around the curved part of the slice equals the distance of the legs.

John
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
You're right next to it John. A little careful language about subtended angle and such would finish it.
Posted By: djb Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Yes, I am still waiting for my Black Friday 3-9 also.

I have a Tikka 270 with a 3-9 in Sportsmatch rings that is near perfection at 7 3/4 lbs. I'm waiting on another 3-9 to replace the SWFA 6x I have on my Tikka 6.5 Creed. Once you find a good recipe, it's hard not to duplicate it. A Tikka, SWFA 3-9, and Sortsmatch rings are like ham, pintos, and cornbread. Mmm...
Posted By: sigguy Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
Originally Posted by djb

I have a Tikka 270 with a 3-9 in Sportsmatch rings that is near perfection at 7 3/4 lbs. I'm waiting on another 3-9 to replace the SWFA 6x I have on my Tikka 6.5 Creed. Once you find a good recipe, it's hard not to duplicate it. A Tikka, SWFA 3-9, and Sortsmatch rings are like ham, pintos, and cornbread. Mmm...

Absolutely! I have the same combo (3-9 and Sportsmatch) on a Tikka SL in 6.5, and an older Tikka 7RM with the SWFA 6x but with Talleys. Good times.....
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20
A radian is a radian, period. It can be called metric if it's adopted as part of that system.

grin

Exactly. The radian is a mathematical construct that has been adopted as the unit of angular measure in the SI system, making it metric by adoption but not inherently.

This may not be the exact mathematical definition, but a radian is simply the subtended angle by the radius of a circle over which the arc-length on the circle is equal to the radius.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20

Originally Posted by sigguy
Originally Posted by djb

Absolutely! I have the same combo (3-9 and Sportsmatch) on a Tikka SL in 6.5, and an older Tikka 7RM with the SWFA 6x but with Talleys. Good times.....

Peas and carrots as well on that combo. Tikka CTR 6.5 SWFA 3-9 in Vortex branded American made rings so I guess they don't make them and a Griffen SD-30 can is the shizzle.

I've run this combo out to 950 yds. It's heavy with the can and bipod but allows the impact to be seen through the scope.
Posted By: gunzo Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/24/20

Just playing around with the notion of what "I'd" like to have & probably not real clear about it. I like the 3-9 SWFA for it's price point when on sale, & it's reported ruggedness. Should be a good truck gun scope. Otherwise, I don''t think I'm scared of "fancy" stuff as I have no less than 11 scopes with target or tactical type knobs, & have been twisting them on a regular basis for over 25 years. They are in MOA though, so maybe that's not fancy. crazy

I expect I could learn to sufficiently use the mil system but really don't want to. I also mentioned I would like SFP. I know the differences here, but just don't care for it, or don't feel it benefits me. It always cost extra when there is a choice, so why pay for it if ya don't want it?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/25/20
Why not the Nightforce SHV 3-10 then?
Posted By: gunzo Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/25/20
Thinking a Meopta Moepro 4.5-14 with knobs might trump them both for price, features & weight. Just not quite the feedback of the other two.
Posted By: 16bore Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/25/20

They could cap those big honking turrets and it wouldn’t piss a lot of people off.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by 16bore

They could cap those big honking turrets and it wouldn’t piss a lot of people off.

For sure! Seems weird that they don't offer it.
Posted By: 16bore Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/26/20
The ‘fire is but a small sample....
Posted By: aalf Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
The ‘fire is but a small sample....

But the fanboys are quite the passionate bunch......
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20
I prefer a SFP in a scope under 10X. FFP in the lower powers makes the reticle so small it’s useless.
Posted By: MuleyFan Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
I prefer a SFP in a scope under 10X. FFP in the lower powers makes the reticle so small it’s useless.

But the reticle in the low powers of a SPF scope IS 100% useless lol
Posted By: Gargoyle Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by MuleyFan
Originally Posted by RedBeard308

But the reticle in the low powers of a SPF scope IS 100% useless lol

Absolutely not! You can still see the cross hairs and use holdovers with the center hairs. There is none of that with low power FFP.
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20
Your absolute statement is in error. The suitability depends upon the particular reticle in question.
Posted By: aalf Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20

Should be a great all arounder on the grouse gun though.......
Posted By: mathman Re: SWFA 3-9 - 02/28/20
grin
© 24hourcampfire