Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Headlamps - 05/02/20
Evening Gents. What brand and model headlamps are you using these days? I’m tired of the junk I have, time for an upgrade.

Thanks!
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Zebra light
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20

I always keep a bunch of Black Diamond headlamps around. Takes a while to wear them out.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Zebra light

I've got one Zebra headlamp. I don't let anyone use that but me.
Posted By: DrGnarr Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I always keep a bunch of Black Diamond headlamps around. Takes a while to wear them out.

This
Posted By: jd9770 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I use a wicked hunting lights headlamp for work and hunting. I have been pleased with its performance.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I've had good service out of Black Diamond and Princeton Tec.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I have petzels, BD and Princeton tec all seem to be well made and reliable.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I have a couple black diamonds. Rechargable batteries via usb. I can recharge with the same small battery pack i carry for my phone. Im a day hunter so never had to but handy if needed.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Nebo!
Posted By: johnw Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
My favorite lights for usability are the Princeton Tecs, But I have had multiple failures both in construction quality and electronics.

Black Diamonds are some I've tried to like but they are non-intuitive in use, for me, and suffer switching or electronics failures.

Of the known name lights, Petzl is the one that has given me the fewest problems, is not too heavy and seems to last for a long time.

Weight is an issue for me. Any light that strobes is an irritation and not worth consideration

Pelican makes some bomb-proof and useable lights if weight is less an issue.
Posted By: deflave Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Nothing has lasted as long as Petzls for me.

Get the one that has what you need.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I use two very different types. I use a very bright Coast that has a high/low beam and it focuses. The high beam when on wide angle is very good for tracking deer after I have shot them with an arrow. I carry a flashlight that I can see further with when tracking deer. The other headlamp I use is one of the old multi LED units the casts a bluish light and at times under buckthorn it helps for tracking blood.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Petzl.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Tag
Posted By: comerade Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
My first Petzal was in 1984, still have it. I have tried them all and always return to The Petzal product.
I do have a new pelican headlamp, rechargeable and it looks durable..
We will see
Posted By: johnw Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Originally Posted by johnw
My favorite lights for usability are the Princeton Tecs, But I have had multiple failures both in construction quality and electronics.

About 3 or 4 years ago I had a Princeton Tec Remix model which was one of the more useable and intuitive lights I've ever used. It was light weight and comfortable. USA made.

I actually broke the frame on my first one trying to get it out of the bomb-proof blister pack. Called the company and they promptly sent a replacement which was a really good light. For about 4 or 5 months as I recall. Then it failed electronically. I don't recall exactly what the failure was, because every time they sent a replacement it would fail in short order, in one way or another.

Honestly, the only reason I bothered with replacing the lights, instead of moving on was that they were USA made. Thought it was worth a try.
For a few months I had lights zooming back and forth regularly. I had a discussion with an engineering guy there who told me that some of their lights had reliability issues.
the last time I sent one in for replacement they sent me three of them back in hopes that one would work. And they all did for a while.

I moved on for a while and tried other makers stuff. In the back of my mind were all the years I used Petzl lights without problems.

Petzl for me. Never perfect in usability, but trouble free and reliable

I'm sure there are other good lights out there. I watch these threads and try stuff occasionally if it can be acquired without hassle.
Posted By: murkydismal Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I've used Black Diamond for several years, work great, outlast the other leading brand I had been using for years.

FWIW...did have to throw one away year before last though because of ...well.. let me explain. I am an early bird, usually walk/climb several miles in the dark into WY wilderness areas on high country early season mule deer hunts. Lots of bears. That particular headlamp developed the annoying habit of finding grizzlies in the dark, and of course at fairly close range. Figured enough was enough and started using a different although identical one...no more griz...it's a miracle!!!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Last several years I’ve used some member mark / bushnell headlamps from Sams club.

2 for $30. Ended 2 for $14 when it was time to clearance.

300 lumens with red led also.

Best part. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Those cr123can get expensive.

Only thing i don’t like is they’ll turn on in pocket / pack easily. So I’ve flip one battery around for long storage.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Petzl, They’ve always worked very well for me.
Posted By: WAM Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
Petzl for me. I have one since 2006 with a blue/green flip down filter and a new one that has 3 colors and 3 light intensity levels. New one was spendy. If it lasts like the other one, it will be $5 a year.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I am a Petzl fan for more than 30 years. Go to their website and see the variety they offer, it is amazing. They have been considered the standard of the industry worldwide for many years.

mike r
Posted By: whitebread Re: Headlamps - 05/02/20
I’ve had the surefire minimus for the past five seasons. It works flawless, stays where-put, and uses the same batteries as all of my other flashlights. I’d buy another without thought if I lost this one.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Nitecore
Posted By: Aagaardsporter Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Fenix
Posted By: UpTop Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Have Petzels, BDs, and Zebralight. Zebralight is my favorite of the bunch.
Posted By: dingo Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20

I use a Zebralight H600w 11 with several Eagletac 18650 batteries at work every day. I have no complaints after many years of service.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
I like Zebralight for headlamp.

I have a Fenix flashlight that is also superb so far.
Posted By: chamois Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Petzl. Used them for (many) years and never had a problem. Once I crashed the battery lid and got a free replacement.

Every now and then I have been tempted by some modern develoments that offer mega lumens but they either failed or I did not like their ergonomics, or setting them up at the different illumintation levels was too complicated, or... The thing is that I always went back to Petzl.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Petzl.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Petzl and Zebralight are my favourites.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
This is a topic I am quite passionate about because I use a headlamp nearly every day......or night as the case may be. It is not just a brand but a model.
The Princeton Tec APEX is by far the best headlamp I have ever had, in fact I have 2 of them. One uses 4 AA batteries and the other has a rechargeable Lithium battery. The 4 AA model will last a couple of weeks using it a couple hours a night on lower light settings but does not really like the very brightest setting for very long. the Lithium model is awesome, never actually have run it to where it went dark. Have owned the 4 AA model for 10 years and the Lithium model for 5 years with zero issues. I could not recommend more highly.
Right now you might think I'm a Princeton Tec honk.....wrong, I also have a model called the Vizz. I go for an early hike and this thing is dead before the sun comes up.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
We frequently have to walk out in the dark during our big game hunts. I used Petzels for years. A friend was using a light that lasted longer and was a great deal brighter. It is a Fenix. After mine went dim and his kept going I went out this year and got one.

Bought the Fenix HL60R. Built in rechargable battery, five intensity settings plus red light and strobe. Charge lasts a long time. I use it frequently for work around the house too. My old eyes don't see stuff in dim light like they used to and this light is very useful.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hl60r-rechargeable-headlamp/
Posted By: Cornel616 Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
I have used Petzl as they are lightweight and reliable . Also I started using Armytek headlamps as they use the cr123a batteries or rechargeable if you have any and they do have a lot more power that helps sometimes. They are really nicely made and I have used for a few years and didn’t give any issue s.
Posted By: SKane Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Nitecore

I wondered if someone else would mention Nitecore.
Great if one has access to power at some point.

I bought this one last year and it's pretty slick.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITEC...hargeable-Headlamp-p/fl-nite-nu32-bk.htm
Posted By: Windfall Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Another vote for Petzl. Just for every day around the house chores a white light only Penzl has been fine. I've probably watched too many CSI shows where they needed a blue light to spot blood, so a couple years back I bought that same Penzl that WAM did with the white, blue, green, red, strobe, high low intensity and haven't used any of that. Talk about over kill. Actually for walking in the dark I like my small green LED hand held better. Deer have spotted me and blown when I used a white light, so while that head light is in my pack, that hand held is my go to in my pocket.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Have used Petzl's for 20+ years, excellent product. More recently Black Diamond, so far I would say they have been excellent. Last year bought a couple of Nitecore rechargeable NU25's for use this past winter in the early morning and/or evening outside around my place. Used them for about an hour each day, usually 4-5 days a week. The rechargeable function is real handy, end of the day plug them in. They worked great, only one season but I'm impressed.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
Originally Posted by Windfall
Actually for walking in the dark I like my small green LED hand held better.

What make?
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Headlamps - 05/03/20
I’ve had a browning with hi/Lo/red/blue for about 10 years that is great. Uses a single cr123
Posted By: Windfall Re: Headlamps - 05/04/20
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Windfall
Actually for walking in the dark I like my small green LED hand held better.

What make?

I just checked it and all it says is “LED-Lite”. It uses 3 AA batteries, is 7” long, has 4 led’s and you turn it on and off by rotating the head. I bought it years ago when led’s first hit the market and was from an ad on TV. Genuine plastic and about $30.00 back then. I don’t keep it on all the time, just intermittently as needed. Not a lot of light, but enough for picking my way and animals don’t seem to notice the green light held lower to the ground than a headlight.
Posted By: rnovi Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
Petzl for me for most of my headlamps. I really like their lineup for runners that are distance sensitive. Look close and they dim, look far out and they go to full power (and anything in between). The tech isn’t cheap but the function is fantastic. Plus, they are USB rechargeable and also have a 3xAAA battery pack.

My garage headlamp is now 9 years old Petzl and still kicking strong on rechargeable AA’s.

My favorite “new” headlamp is by Fenix. Their HM50r is fantastic and super lightweight. Perfect for walking the dogs at night. Sure, it’s a rechargeable CR123 battery but you can also get rechargeable CR123’s these days.

In the end what I want is something light enough to wear without that “3rd” headband (the one over the top of the head) and balanced such that it won’t fall forward, USB charging plus the ability to use a standard battery in a pinch. Oh, and a balanced light beam, slightly floody, slightly spotty - balanced for all around use.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
My needs in a headlamp are relatively specific because my primary use is for getting back to camp in the dark on backcountry elk hunts. A headlamp has save me from a cold night out more than once, too.

The light source must be an LED for efficiency.

I've experimented with plastic housings, but had trouble with durability. Now, I stick to metal housings for my headlamps.

Rechargable batteries make sense back home, but won't work on these trips because there is no place to recharge them. I always carry a few extra sets of batteries, so if the first set dies, I can easily be back up and running with a simple battery change. A relatively fresh set of batteries in the headlamp, and an extra set of batteries in my pack can easily get me through a whole night of hiking, if need be.

Also, I want two CR123 batteries to power the headlamp for long service life on a set of batteries. CR123 typically have higher energy density than AA or AAA batteries, and two CR123s doubles that. That's a lot of light energy in a small package.

I also want a simple switch that selects between 3 to 4 power settings. This allows me to conserve batteries by running the light at its lowest usable setting for the circumstances.

While not perfect, the headlamp closest to the above criteria that I have found is a Streamlight "ProTac HL."

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
that might work OK for you. Phuuuk the top straps. on ANY of them...
Posted By: smokepole Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
Happy birthday Don!! Are ya gonna put on your birthday suit and go down to the diner, like last year??
Posted By: AML Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
I have a Browning headlamp that's close to 20 years old and works like new. My Petzl is newer, lighter, and has been solid for the 6 or 7 years I've had it.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
Zebralight here. H600w II.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
I like this Black Diamond a lot. Took it to Alaska on a remote hunt - worked perfectly even in a somewhat dicey grizzly standoff.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BLACK-DIAMOND-EQUIP-STORM-HEADLAMP/3308560.uts?slotId=1
Posted By: SKane Re: Headlamps - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Phuuuk the top straps. on ANY of them...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And, agreed.
Posted By: ribka Re: Headlamps - 05/07/20
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Zebra light

yep. have 3 and very good lights
Posted By: Mtngroan Re: Headlamps - 05/09/20
I just switched to Fenix. Rechargeable battery and bright!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Headlamps - 05/10/20
This is the model I was referring to earlier in this threadAPEX
This is the 4 AA model but they also have the rechargeable model. have used this on average of 12 hours per week for 10 years....Awesome no complaints.
It does have a top strap that Khhuntsman does not like but suits me just fine.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Headlamps - 05/10/20
It NEEDS that top strap with all the weight of those extra batteries and that big ol' wad of chit hanging off the back of it. Else wise, it would work down around your chin. And what fun is that?.....
Posted By: CRS Re: Headlamps - 05/10/20
My criteria is as follows.

LED Red light/ variable power settings.
Normal batteries/rechargeable
Batteries in the the lamp, not in the back. Had more than one wire go bad.
Do not need the top strap.

My latest is a Petzal actik and have been really happy with it. Has both rechargeable and regular batteries.

I do not spend a lot of time hiking in the dark any more.
© 24hourcampfire