Home
Posted By: Steven60 Gloss to matte - 05/25/20
Is there an accepted method for changing the finish on scopes from glossy to matte (black)? I'm guessing Cerakote is out as is any other finish that requires heat for curing.

There is no shortage of new matte black scopes on the market, of course, but I'm interested in having an out-of-production glossy scope redone so it's matte. I don't want a rattle can job. Are there companies that offer this service? Thanks!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Gloss to matte - 05/26/20
A matter clear coat like krylon would do it but durability might be an issue. A refinish would not be difficult to do.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Gloss to matte - 05/26/20
Wasn’t there someone on here a week ago looking for a gloss scope? Maybe you can trade.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Gloss to matte - 05/26/20
Plenty of guys looking for gloss scopes, as they are just about impossible to find. Sell it to someone who needs one and buy a matte scope. Unless it's a POS, then spray away
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Gloss to matte - 05/26/20
This may be better than the average rattle can paint.
I'm having good luck with a rifle barrel I did. And some gun stocks.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...rosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Gloss to matte - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Wasn’t there someone on here a week ago looking for a gloss scope? Maybe you can trade.

Originally Posted by 2five7
Plenty of guys looking for gloss scopes, as they are just about impossible to find. Sell it to someone who needs one and buy a matte scope. Unless it's a POS, then spray away

Thanks. I'm looking for a (discontinued) Burris Mini 4x in matte black which won't need anything but mounting and sighting in. But it might be that all I can find is a glossy one, which is why I asked. I've read that Burris' customer service is spotty, so doing it myself may be the best option.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Gloss to matte - 05/30/20
Originally Posted by Steven60
Originally Posted by Woodhits

Originally Posted by 2five7

Thanks. I'm looking for a (discontinued) Burris Mini 4x in matte black which won't need anything but mounting and sighting in. But it might be that all I can find is a glossy one, which is why I asked. I've read that Burris' customer service is spotty, so doing it myself may be the best option.

If it can be done, Brownells has done it. That Almumahyde is good stuff. Not your typical rattle can stuff. In fact, I have a silver Leupold scope on my 9.3X62 I want to make matte black. I had forgotten about Alumahyde but I think I'm going to order me a can. Also get their degreaser. Can't remember the name but I used it when I did a barrel with OXPHO Blue. It's something like C.T.E. I think.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Gloss to matte - 05/30/20
I also think selling your scope and finding the one you want is the best idea. Between ebay, samplelist.com, gunbroker etc and a WTB here , there are plenty of places to find a turn key solution.
Posted By: Flinglead Re: Gloss to matte - 06/06/20
You could always go Dura-coat. That is the precursor to Cerakote. It is no heat and is pretty durable.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Gloss to matte - 06/06/20
I’ve got a few I’ve painted.Several coats of matte clear are your friend’s.Been just as durable as a factory finish...
Posted By: whitebread Re: Gloss to matte - 06/07/20
Why not take it to a paint shop and have them lightly sandblast the outside if the scope. That may look just fine like that. And if you need to paint it a matte, it’s already prepped.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Gloss to matte - 06/07/20
Ditto on the Aluma Hyde II
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Gloss to matte - 06/07/20
No. A good way to BUBA up and ruin a scope. Trade/sell get your matte scope.

LC
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Gloss to matte - 06/07/20
Well, I found a pretty good deal on a Burris Mini 4x that is, predictably, gloss finished. I may just use it as is. Does anyone think Burris would refinish it in matte for me?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Gloss to matte - 06/07/20
Originally Posted by Steven60
Well, I found a pretty good deal on a Burris Mini 4x that is, predictably, gloss finished. I may just use it as is. Does anyone think Burris would refinish it in matte for me?

I don't know of any scope maker that will refinish a scope tube.
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Gloss to matte - 06/08/20
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
No. A good way to BUBA up and ruin a scope. Trade/sell get your matte scope.

LC

Well maybe it’s just not in your skill-set...
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Gloss to matte - 06/08/20
The last 2 of mine that got drastically altered
got a thorough wipe down with acetone and
the lenses masked off and sprayed down with
OD krylon shake shake. It affected absolutely
nothing as far as performance, but cut the
glare to nothing just as I intended it to

JMHO - I could give 2 sh*ts less about resale
value of anything I own
© 24hourcampfire