Home
Posted By: buckthumper What is needed? - 02/05/20
I've been thinking about getting into casting bullets but I don't know what I need. Any tips???
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: What is needed? - 02/05/20
First thing to do: Buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, and read it. Then read it again. Then ask about specifics, there are a bunch of good fellas here ready willing and able to help a newcomer- but it really helps to have a little common ground before discussing what works for us and should work for you. You'll need the book as you progress anyway.

Lots of equipment out there. The possibilities are mind boggling- from basic cheap no-frills stuff to sophisticated stuff. It will help in future to mention also what cartridges/guns you'll be casting for.

Welcome! I and my comrades stand ready to assist!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: What is needed? - 02/05/20
And after you have followed that sage advise, take the time to peruse this:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: What is needed? - 02/05/20
Have faith, be diligent, the rewards are bountiful

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Creeker Re: What is needed? - 02/05/20
I began casting in 1973 with nothing but a Lyman 45th Edition Loading Manuel for instruction. No friends, no internet, nothing but that book. So, gnoahhh gives you great advice.
Posted By: Beaglemaster Re: What is needed? - 02/08/20
Your reasons for getting into casting will determine much of your equipment choices. I shoot alot of 44 and 45 cal in single actions and levers and I'm a tighwad.
I would suggest first reading the books previously mentioned.
Keep it simple. My favorite method is a simple electric pot and ladle.
I like one or two cavity bullet molds. Lighter and easier to work with.
I use mostly wheelweights, relatively cheap, easy to find but you gotta sort thru them, lots of zinc and other unknown in there. I'm a scrounger, keep a bucket in the truck for weights I pickup in parking lots, told you I was a tightwad. Still slot of lead out there, just look for it.
Lots of safety precautions as I'm sure you know but I'll say fresh air, a faceshield and leather gloves and boots are more comfortable than burns.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: What is needed? - 02/08/20
Among other things, what is needed is simply a will to walk this path.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 44mc Re: What is needed? - 02/09/20
an open mind helps. read \ listen & try figger what work best for you
Posted By: Creeker Re: What is needed? - 02/11/20
Make up your mind to do it.

[Linked Image from oi66.photobucket.com]
Posted By: HawkI Re: What is needed? - 02/11/20
Buy good equipment that makes you productive along with making quality you cant readily buy.

Dont buy cheap moulds you have to bang on for five minutes to drop bullets, a pot that drizzles and spews or sizing equipment that maximizes labor at the cost of output.

People that tell me they hate casting generally have gone the penny wise, pound foolish route.

I am commonly told "it takes too much time". It certainly does if you set yourself up that way...
Posted By: Jevyod Re: What is needed? - 02/11/20
I started rather recently and enjoy it! It helps if you have a good source of lead. I would recommend going over to the Cast Boolit website...pretty much dedicated to casting. I learned a ton by just reading a lot.
Posted By: rmb721 Re: What is needed? - 02/24/20
Cast Boolits is a good site for anyone interested in casting. You can learn a lot there. I have been on that site for 15 years.
© 24hourcampfire