Home
As I am settling into a new residence with an 11' room, I am planning to wall mount some heavier trophies. I prefer studs and have looked at the Timber-Loc
system which appears to be well thought out.
But I want to see what others here are using for the heavier mounts - my elk weighs 27 #'s.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: EdM Re: Big game wall mounting systems - 10/07/20
My heavies go into studs with conventional hangers. The lighter ones (<50#) hang from "padded-pro professional picture hangers" (Home Depot) in sheetrock.
I have a room that I have a lot of heavy stuff mounted on. I found that there isn't always a stud where you need it and when you are done things aren't spaced right.
I put up 3/4" plywood over two walls and covered it with nice paneling. I can put a screw anywhere I want and know it will hold.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I have a room that I have a lot of heavy stuff mounted on. I found that there isn't always a stud where you need it and when you are done things aren't spaced right.
I put up 3/4" plywood over two walls and covered it with nice paneling. I can put a screw anywhere I want and know it will hold.

Good idea.
My elk hang from lag screws in studs
Thanks fellas for your ideas.
Godlogs57 is right. If a 3/8” lag bolt in a stud doesn’t work , you may have operator error or worse problems, just saying. 2x6 turned flatwise on 16” centers and lag bolts make it pretty simple and gives a lot of options . 3/4 plywood is unnecessary expense. 1/2 “ osb works fine if it makes you feel better. A big bull elk is heavy and awkward to hang. 3/8 lag bolt will hang anything.
I put a French cleat all the way across the wall in a stairwell. Antlers on thick plaques can be moved around easily, even moose. A wedge in the bottom of the slot would guarantee it cannot come off.
For my elk I just used a 5/16" reisser lag into a stud, seemed solid enough, sure enjoy having the memory of that hunt hanging on the wall!
3/8" lag bolts into studs for my elk and sheep here.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/FLIPTOGGLE-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-Toggle-Bolt-10-Pack-425R/206347693

These are the only way to go. When I did construction and things didn’t line up for grab bars or something we’d use these. They hold over 130lbs in 1/2” drywall. I used them in my new house when my kids pulled the towel rack off the wall.

Pick where you want to put something and hang it. Don’t worry about a stud with these. I’ll never be without them because they work too well for lots of things. When you’re done with them just pull the screw, poke them into the wall, and a little dab of mud covers it.

Word to the wise, buy the bigger box that has 20 or so in it. You’ll use them for all kinds of stuff.

Attached picture F6E7AF17-A67F-42E1-92ED-705B68A0F7EB.jpeg
Posted By: pal Re: Big game wall mounting systems - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
...Don’t worry about a stud with these...

When mounting heavy stuff on a wall it is only prudent to find the stud.
Originally Posted by pal

Did you even look at what I posted? If you’re hanging 20-30lbs of near vertical load you’ll be more than fine. Not to mention it’s legal to use more than one at a time. There are a lot of ways to do it; these just happen to be a better mousetrap.
Posted By: pal Re: Big game wall mounting systems - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by pal

Did you even look at what I posted? If you’re hanging 20-30lbs of near vertical load you’ll be more than fine. Not to mention it’s legal to use more than one at a time. There are a lot of ways to do it; these just happen to be a better mousetrap.

Not trying to start an argument--stated "when mounting heavy stuff", as in the OP's "Big game" premise, which most likely falls well outside "20-30 lbs of near vertical" load, but might be fine for something like my 32-1/2 lb Tyee Club salmon mount.
Neither am I, so that probably came out a little hot. I was just going by the weight he stated in the original post. Would I hang 100lbs of anything on one of them, no. But I would on 2 if evenly supported. To be honest I hung a clothing bar on 2 of them just to test it at our store. I did a pull up on it just to see if it would support who knows how much weight my wife would hang on it. It held me fine and I weigh 200lbs. I wouldn’t do that every day, or leave something that heavy on it, but I’d be comfortable with half that.
Originally Posted by pal

Especially if you are in an actve seismic area.
Posted By: las Re: Big game wall mounting systems - 10/11/20
These aren't exactly a new concept or product (decades old) .....and work well within reason. Sometimes "find a stud" (my preference) just isn't an option.

The little plastic pointy "screw anchors", however, are next to useless for much of anything.

Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by pal

Beat me to it...
Originally Posted by pal

I just look in the mirror...
wink
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
As I am settling into a new residence with an 11' room, I am planning to wall mount some heavier trophies. I prefer studs and have looked at the Timber-Loc
But I want to see what others here are using for the heavier mounts - my elk weighs 27 #'s.
Thanks in advance.

I use the Timber-Loc mount which is top notch. You won’t regret using those.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by pal

Things are apt to shake here in Cali, so I screwed an L -shaped bolt into the stud and milled a slot into the rear of my mount. When the Big One comes, the head will have to hop just so for it to come off the bolt. Or so I hope...
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Thanks in advance.

I use the Timber-Loc mount which is top notch. You won’t regret using those.

Is Timber-loc even in business? Their website is terrible. No photos of mounts mounted to the wall, no testimonials from clients. Any articles is the owner advising product is available. Website was last updated in 2016.

I'd be cautious sending them money.
© 24hourcampfire