Home
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I realize many here reload their own and most have a supply of hunting ammo on hand but i want to ask the question. Lets say the ammo drought continues till this coming hunting season and theres no ammo or components to be had. How many are in a position where they simply dont have any ammo to go hunt with if the silliness continues?

Is anyone going to be in that position come this years season? Just curious since its a game related question.
Posted By: memtb Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
700 bullets for my 284 here. When I run out of powder or primers I'll shoot em in a slingshot.
Posted By: WAM Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I think I’m good until ‘36 or ‘37.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I'm good for the rest of my life
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I'm good on hunting ammo. Couple hundred for each rifle I use regularly. But that's not enough to practice regularly for an extended period of time.

And if I buy a new rifle? I just got a 7mm-08. I have no ammo for that. Or components yet. And it might be a while before I can find them at a price I can stomach.

-Jake
Posted By: hanco Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by memtb
At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb

I’m 68 too, good for a long time.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
i'm good, my kids are good, my grandkids are good
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Im ok for hunting for a long time. If I buy any new rifle during this time of panic buying I would consider buying one that I had plenty of ammo for already.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

And if I buy a new rifle? I just got a 7mm-08. I have no ammo for that. Or components yet. And it might be a while before I can find them at a price I can stomach.

-Jake

A few weeks ago, I passed on a 7mm SAUM I would've bought under normal circumstances.

I'm good and my boys are good thanks to me.....I might have to help my brother along.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Sometime around 2525 I'll run out of ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: horse1 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sometime around 2525 I'll run out of ammo.

Posted By: RGK Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by hanco

I'm only 66, so I have a few more years to worry about.
Bob
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Good for next year with my favorite rifle (257 weatherby) and enough for other rifles for a couple years after that. Do have reloading components for 200 rounds with the weatherby but will need someone to help me reload them, as i never learned how. Hope things loosen up by then.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Varies.

I'm in good shape with one rifle that I've got a good load sorted out and I'm stocked up on the components for a good while. Not plinking / target shooting quantities, but comfortable hunting quantities.

I've got one new rifle I'm not in such good shape for 'cause I don't yet know what it likes so I don't know what to stock up on even if stuff was available. Still got feelers out for bullets. I have a couple appropriate powders but more selection would be better. With the other rifle in ok shape, there's no real pressure, this will either work or it won't.

Tom
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
On various boards and under-the radar Facebook groups, I'm beginning to see people selling ammo now that most hunting seasons are over. They may be asking outrageous prices trying to cash in on the scare, I just don't know. I don't look too close because I load my own.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I'm good for this year as long as I do the majority of my practicing with my 22-250 and 22LR.
Posted By: atse Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
There may be a lot of hunters that wake up to the fact that there are no bullets on the shelf 2 weeks before deer season opens. Then they will wring their hands wondering what to do. These are the same.people that likely only have a weeks worth of groceries on hand at any one time. I know a handful of them.
Might run out of goofing off ammo in a few years but have enough hunting ammo for the rest of my life for multiple formats.

Mike
Posted By: memtb Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
DigitalDan, Probably the same as you with cast bullets ( only about 1000 - 1200 ponds of wheel weights) but, will run out of other components prior to 2500! grin memtb
Posted By: JPro Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I could easily make it through an entire hunting season on 30 rounds of ammo, including checking zeros. I generally wind up with somewhere around half a dozen deer and an equal number of hogs. If I have to ration things out, I should have the next four decades covered, at least. I'll be in my 80's by then, and will be lucky to still be here. Might run out of some favorite components, but could still make meat each fall.
Posted By: goalie Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
It's getting really bad for the guys who don't shoot a lot.

I was at the range today sighting in a 30-30 Contender and a guy came up asking if I could load some and sell it to him.

Kind of a WTF moment. No, I'm not selling my handloads, and piss poor prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine......
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
There will be ammo. It's the price you are willing to pay that will determine how much ammo you will have. I learned my lesson during the last flood (Obama era), I have been stocking my ark with primers, powder, bullets, casting molds, and factory ammo.
Posted By: JPro Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
One thing I didn't think about was shotgun shells. The little .410 may have to go on a long term diet soon. The bigger boys will have to pull their weight a while.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21

Paddling the same boat!
Posted By: super T Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I'm 78, I figure I'll run out of heartbeats before I run out of ammo.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I somehow managed to get into two new calibers last year, 300 Blackout and .257 Weatherby. I managed to get adequate supplies of loaded ammo and reloading supplies just by paying attention, not being too picky about brand, and setting notification alerts with vendors. I just scored 2 boxes of loaded ammo and two boxes of TTSX bullets for the Weatherby, at non-gouge prices, from two different sources this week.
Im personally alright as im set up primarily for 308 win, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, 338RCM, and 45-70. Plenty of 22lr as well. I have in the meantime taken on a new 270 win but have enough components to keep it going and bought factory ammo fortunately at normal prices as well as bullet components.

Past few years i was picking up ammo cheap every once in awhile for my 30-30, 30-06, and 22lr so i could have it for a rainy day or i suspose ammo drought. I think it paid dividends this time and im thankful. My nephew was just starting out in life, early 20's, married a few years ago, now has a baby on the way. He has very little even though i warned him but hes just starting in life, ive had time and expwriance getting here.

I suspose i could give him a few boxes of 308 win or reload some of his 338 win mag using his cases and my components. Im a little angry he didnt pick up 338 bullets i told him to but hes young and has other priorities.
Posted By: MAC Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I have well over 500 rounds of 7mm Mag on hand, at least 200 rounds of 6.5x55, at least 200 rounds of 9.3x62 and roughly the same amount of 375 H&H. and I am getting ready to churn up at least 150 rounds of 308 Win.

I think I'm good for hunting ammo. My biggest problem is replacing components such as powder and primers at this time. Those are hard to get ahold of.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Midway has a bunch of .338 bullets in stock this minute.
Posted By: goalie Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I somehow managed to get into two new calibers last year, 300 Blackout and .257 Weatherby. I managed to get adequate supplies of loaded ammo and reloading supplies just by paying attention, not being too picky about brand, and setting notification alerts with vendors. I just scored 2 boxes of loaded ammo and two boxes of TTSX bullets for the Weatherby, at non-gouge prices, from two different sources this week.

There's factory 257 Weatherby on the shelf at our local Scheels
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
No, i won't be in a no ammo situation for game hunting. I would guess I have plenty to last the rest of my life (I am 73). Same goes for the other types of firearms I own.
Posted By: jwall Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Is anyone going to be in that position come this years season? Just curious since its a game related question.

No. I've been stocking up (not hoarding) since powder first went to 15 or 16 $ / lb.

Jerry
Posted By: Tracks Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
I'll never shoot enough to feel any shortage, but I suspect I'll miss loading when the supplies dry up
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
For my '06, let's see. Each year is 1 deer and 1 elk. That's 2 rounds. A box is good for 10 years. I'm in good shape.
I really don't worry much about running out of ammo.. As someone said, I will probably run out of heartbeats first.. I have lots of plinking .22 ammo, that is my only weak spot .. I used to shoot my pistols quite often, but not lately.. Still I will probably never run out,, Lots of shotgun ammo unless I would stumble on a quail paradise... Good feeling...
Would any of you share ammo with immeadiate loved ones or would you tell them the Noah's Ark analogy? And take a lesson from it.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Such will not happen in my lifetime.
Posted By: jwall Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Would any of you share ammo with immeadiate loved ones or would you tell them the Noah's Ark analogy? And take a lesson from it.

Yes. I gave a 'cousin' who is a neighbor & friend... 2 boxes of Factory Rem 270, 130 PSPCL, last year.
I inherited them and don't shoot Rem or any factory ammo. 2 boxes out of my storage space.

I'm generous like that.

Jerry
Posted By: lastround Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21

I have enough brass, bullets, powder, and primers to keep me going with my rifles of choice for probably as long as I will need to use them. Pretty much the same with handgun components since I cast my own bullets.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Thanks for prodding Dan into posting pics of his pretty bullets.

If I ran out, which I won’t, I have a crossbow, the only thing I’ve killed deer with for the past three seasons.

My progeny won’t run out either, though they may have to hunt with what I can feed.
Posted By: CBB Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
We are good for a while. I'd like to have a little of this or that just to feel "comfortable"...

Been seeing quite a bit more ammo at a local shop. Not everything but some for sure is better than nothing. Hope it loosens up but don't see it happening for a while
Posted By: Puddle Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Just settled on a select piece of Ash wood. Working now on the design of the spear head.

Just in case...
Posted By: WMR Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/26/21
Cabelas in Grand Rapids had Federal blue box 270 and 30-06 for $22 last weekend. Probably didn’t last long. I bought some Federal 10mm for $29 per box there. Supply is spotty, but even at gun show prices hunters can still hunt. It’s still a drop in the bucket considering the overall cost of the hunt. As others have said, target shooters will take the biggest hit.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21

Yes -not to excess. But I gave a cousin some for him and his boy to be able to hunt this past fall.. there wasn't a box of '06 to be found on a shelf in the area. He paid me for them. I had plenty. He felt dumb for waiting until mid November to buy some ammo.

-Jake
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21

I only have about 40 rifles and ammo for every one of them. I don't know how many seasons that is?
Originally Posted by 163bc
i'm good, my kids are good, my grandkids are good

And if you are like the rest of us, the next door neighbors too...
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21
This fall I peeked into my cabinet that houses my factory ammo ( it’s been so long that I looked in that cabinet a bear could’a been hibernating in there) and I have a little bit of this and that for all my rifles. As far as components go I have enough to keep me in elk meat for the rest of my life and then some.

I’m embarrassed to reveal how many Partition 2nds I have. I’m trying to wean myself off SPS........
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21

I gave a close friend of my son two of my last four boxes of factory .30-06 ammo about a month ago. I had given him the gun a few months ago and didn't realize (duh) that he wouldn't be able to find ammo for it.

Originally Posted by Pappy348

If I ran out, which I won’t, I have a crossbow, the only thing I’ve killed deer with for the past three seasons.

Yeah, I'm mostly a bow hunter as well. I only need a couple of rifle rounds a year for antelope, which is too time consuming for me on public land with a bow.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21
During the Obama years, I bought enough bullets, powder and primers to load about 250 rounds for each of my 3 deer rifles.

That should last me the rest of my life. My son will be shooting the last of the rounds when I'm gone.

Dan
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
This fall I peeked into my cabinet that houses my factory ammo ( it’s been so long that I looked in that cabinet a bear could’a been hibernating in there) and I have a little bit of this and that for all my rifles. As far as components go I have enough to keep me in elk meat for the rest of my life and then some.

I’m embarrassed to reveal how many Partition 2nds I have. I’m trying to wean myself off SPS........

SPS is an awesome place. Good luck with trying to wean yourself from them.. I always think, these 500 partitions will last me a long time, then after a while look at the bullet containers and see that there's only about 50 left. I wonder where the hell they all go? I bought 500 30 cal 200gr partitions about 3 years ago when they were $13.45/bag. We won't see those prices ever again. I should have bought 2,000!!!!
Posted By: blammer Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21
I got 10 bullets, should last me about 5 yrs
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I bought 500 30 cal 200gr partitions about 3 years ago when they were $13.45/bag. We won't see those prices ever again. I should have bought 2,000!!!!

I know, I know.........
Posted By: memtb Re: Low on hunting ammo - 02/28/21

“If” factory ammo is factored in......I ran out about 50 years ago! grin memtb
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/01/21
Only low if they open this Season.

No, wait...

Never mind.

GR
Posted By: WAM Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/01/21

I might share some but there might be a painful lesson attached. If they didn’t see this coming, they’d be hardheaded and need some asswhup.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by blammer
I got 10 bullets, should last me about 5 yrs

Yup.

Only time i burn ammo is when setting up a new rig or swapping scopes.

Once impacts at diff distances verfied its done and ready to hunt.

So far my skills have maintained over the yrs, from when I shot a lot. But Im getting older and may require a change to practice
I picked a sketchy year to get not one but 2, wait 3, new calibers ...

Been greatly assisted by our Classifieds smile Another thing that helps a lot is dry firing. Another thing is having a crossbow. If all else fails, I'll fabricate some bolts and set snares.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
DigitalDan, Probably the same as you with cast bullets ( only about 1000 - 1200 ponds of wheel weights) but, will run out of other components prior to 2500! grin memtb

My lead supply is similar to your own but have somewhere around 5000 bullets already cast. And I know how to a) recharge a primer, b) make black powder, c) chip a flint. Did an inventory not long ago and have something in the neighborhood of 16K primers and more powder than I should. Anywhere from 50 to 6K rounds loaded, the guns won't starve soon. Nor will I.
Posted By: memtb Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

My lead supply is similar to your own but have somewhere around 5000 bullets already cast. And I know how to a) recharge a primer, b) make black powder, c) chip a flint. Did an inventory not long ago and have something in the neighborhood of 16K primers and more powder than I should. Anywhere from 50 to 6K rounds loaded, the guns won't starve soon. Nor will I.

You ar3 in far better shape than I......and more skilled! memtb
Posted By: 79S Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

SPS is an awesome place. Good luck with trying to wean yourself from them.. I always think, these 500 partitions will last me a long time, then after a while look at the bullet containers and see that there's only about 50 left. I wonder where the hell they all go? I bought 500 30 cal 200gr partitions about 3 years ago when they were $13.45/bag. We won't see those prices ever again. I should have bought 2,000!!!!

It was around 2015 (we were are on a 9 month rotation in Kuwait) anyhow sps was having big sales. I should’ve bought 1000 200gr accubonds back then and 180’s too..
Posted By: EdM Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
Truth be told, if only for hunting purposes, the boxes of handloads in multiple rounds in the cabinet would take me to my death. That said, I am more than good on handloading supplies. I'll be feeding my two of three sons that are recent handloaders. The third I will handload for.
Posted By: RL Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
I am in very good shape for everything - did scramble a little last Nov. picking up 30/30 and .410. Then lost my father at the end of Jan. 2021 - knew he had plenty but didn't know just how much - I was shocked - now between mine and what he left me, his great grandkids can hunt - hope they have the opportunity and hope they can appreciate the forethought.
Posted By: Johnsclist Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
I am nearly out of gunpowder for reloading the small quantities that I do. Good news is that I will probably run out of deer, turkeys, and ducks before ammo in my lifetime.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21

I only have about 40 rifles and ammo for every one of them. I don't know how many seasons that is?

I don't know how many seasons for you but typically I hunt 3-5 different seasons with 2 to 3 different rifles each season so I only get to use 1/4 to 1/3 of my rifles every year on game. Their on a rotation schedule but keep 2-3 worked up loads for each about 10 to 15 years worth per gun. Extra scopes, components, knives just refurbished my toyota and have food for a year. Keep extra gas ( rotated regularly). Yeah was a boy scout long enough to learn what " be prepared " means. I have helped others what appalls me is that from 1 panic to the next they don't seem to learn a damned thing. When I was a young several movies left big impression on let's see was Reefer madness, some vd movie in PE, yeah and Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid (I have never run out of ammo).

As hard as ammo is to find , gun parts are no picnic either for all you dry firing cowboys I just shared some good info take heed.. MB
Posted By: CRS Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
Being a hunter first and foremost, I am covered.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
So strictly hunting right? I will use as little as 1 and as many as 3 rounds per game species hunt. That being said OI have enough ammo for any of my hunting rifles till the drought ends or I die. Practice, different story. I practice my shooting disciplines with a 22lr for things like determining a drop chart at distance (500+ yards), I'll load up some ammo if I have the components. If I don't, then I don't take that distance shot.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers. But in normal situations ,I am good for many years. Practice has been moved to using cheap components and reduced loads to lower costs and perserve supply of harder to come by stuff. I would like more .22 lr in my lot ,when available though....
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/02/21

Another 68. I have about 200 rounds for each caliber I own, I might have a problem when I get to my 5th choice in calibers.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/03/21

Depends on how immediate. There are a couple people I'd give ONE box of ammo to. What they did with that would dictate whether they ever saw another. I don't have enough to waste plinking but nobody in my "crew" who is careful to make their shots count will have to do without.

Tom
Posted By: jwall Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers.

Gee Whiz man ! Sorry to hear about C.
Here’s hoping you are recovering & recuping.

Jerry
Posted By: memtb Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers. But in normal situations ,I am good for many years. Practice has been moved to using cheap components and reduced loads to lower costs and perserve supply of harder to come by stuff. I would like more .22 lr in my lot ,when available though....

Sorry to hear of this partner......thoughts, prayers and best wishes out to you! Cancer is a bitch....bitch-slap it and come back stronger! memtb
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/03/21
I took the “Lifetime Supply” prompt from Bob in NH several years back. I have 5 preferred hunting cartridges & they are all safely supplied until I can’t lift a gun anymore. I am currently 62.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/07/21
Originally Posted by JPro
One thing I didn't think about was shotgun shells. The little .410 may have to go on a long term diet soon. The bigger boys will have to pull their weight a while.

This is where I screwed up too. Plenty of 22LR, 9mm, 45 acp, and 223. Hunting rifles not too worried. Never thought 12ga skeet loads would be a hot commodity. Fook me....
Posted By: Sharpshooter97 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/07/21
I'll be good for a while to hunt with, my rifles are zeroed and I keep 100ish rounds of 243 and 30-06 on hand. I was well prepared with the commonly horded calibers as I learned from the Obama years but didn't expect to see shelves empty from hunting ammo. If nothing else I have enough hunting ammunition between those two and my 45-70 that I can hunt big game for quite a long time.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/09/21
I'm 61 so I think I'm good for the rest of my life.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/09/21
[quote=memtb] At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb

I am 75, and also will not run out, nor will whomever gets my stuff.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/09/21
There's a big difference in being low on hunting ammo and not having enough. I have a 500yd range set up off my front porch and enjoy going out and randomly shooting at the gongs. I have came to the conclusion that 20+ boxes of ammo for every hunting rifle I own is not enough. When and if this ammo shortage passes I'll make sure to have at least 1k rounds of hunting ammo for every rifle I own and a couple of pallets of 12 ga. You think you have plenty of ammo, but if you can't buy anymore ever you really don't unless you change your shooting habits.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/09/21
Buy what ever you can for your rifle. If it shoots 4 MOA at 100 get closer, until the crisis goes away.
Posted By: hanco Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/09/21
It appears a person cannot have too much!
Posted By: ZuluDawn Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/10/21
I’m good. My kids. And theirs as well,
Most likely.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/10/21
Originally Posted by T_O_M
[quote=Theoldpinecricker]Would any of you share ammo with immediate loved ones or would you tell them the Noah's Ark analogy? And take a lesson from it.

I hunt and hang with a small group of guys, whom exchange readily, if they needed it, they would get it, no questions asked. I continue to add to the supply whenever the opportunity comes. .
Posted By: boatammo Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/11/21
I'm 72 and good to go.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/11/21
I am good for the rest of my life. That being said I still buy odds and ends when I find them at non ass raping prices. Always good barter goods
Posted By: hoytcanon Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/14/21
Time to start reloading... never be low on ammo again.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/14/21
Originally Posted by hoytcanon
Time to start reloading... never be low on ammo again.

As if there is actually components
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/15/21
Yeah moosemike there is a component shortage too. The bottleneck everywhere is still primers , the companies who make primers also make ammo and using the primers to make ammo earns them greater profit than just selling the primers. To the same end bullets and powders but not quite as tight. All boils down to, did you prepare by having enough of everything you use in your supply inventory. I've heard it said countless times on this forum by members here that their good and they can cover their kids and grandkids needs
Why is it the kids and grandkids can't cover their own needs? Whose values didn 't they pick up by learning to reload or oh my god keeping themselves supplied to their own factory ammo. How many panics now over the last 15-20 years? And still the unprepared haven't learned a damned thing. It isn't just ammo but a lot of things people take for granted toilet paper? CANNING LIDS look around one can find lots of bottlenecks out there. Bottlenecks don't matter if you've prepared. Mb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/15/21
My kids are in the same boat I was at their age, short of space and time for handloading. One shoots factory in one of his rifles and my handloads in the other. The other one can depend on me feeding his rifles, both of which were mine at one time. Neither has much opportunity for target shooting, so it’s not much of a chore for me, or a drain on my stock.

I could never depend on my father for help. He never offered, and I learned pretty quickly to not waste time asking. I’m trying to do better for my offspring in the small ways I’m able.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/15/21

I would and have shared with family and friends. I just bought 600 6mm/100 grain bullets on here and offered some to a friend from camp. He only wanted 100 so it was no big deal.
I'm th only one in my family who shoots much. My Godson is coming to stay with us for a week next month and I plan to take him out for a day or 2 of slinging lead. I also like swapping components with friends.
I stocked up big time in 2016, fearing the worst before Trump was elected. The only thing I would like is to get maybe another brick of Large Pistol primers.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Low on hunting ammo - 03/15/21
Well your a good guy pappy 348 no doubt about it but there still are all these people unprepared and depending on the "system" to keep themselves supplied when ultimately that responsibility needs to be on their shoulders. Mb
© 24hourcampfire