Home
Posted By: bwinters Puffy pants - 11/19/21
Looking at puffy pants. I've looked at about every major hunting and non-hunting brand and several generic varieties. I think I have it narrowed to FL Uncompaghre, Kifaru Lost Park, and Kuiu Super Down Pro. Both the Kifaru and FL have 100 grams/3.5 oz per sq m of their respective insulation. Kuiu has 3.2 oz of 850 fill down. All seem to be relatively "durable" at least as much as ripstop can be. I think the Kuiu would be the warmest. All have full side zips.

I'd be lying if I wasnt concerned with down becoming wet and/or all over when I put a hole in them. I have no puffy clothing without at least 1 Tenacious Tape patch. With that said, I'm leaning synthetic - but wonder how warm they will be with 100 gr/sq m of insulation. The primary purpose is glassing and treestand sitting when temps drop below 30. As an extra tidbit, I tend to run cold.

What say you guys? I'm interested in warmth, durability, sizing.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: iddave Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
I have the FLs.

They aren't terribly warm imho. They work "okay"... but if you're looking for maximum warmth I'd look elsewhere.

Dave
Posted By: bwinters Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
Good info. Thanks!
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
I can't specifically speak to puffy pants, but I'd be a little leery of down pants, especially where there is high humidity and rain/wet snow. I've talked to a number of (younger) guys into adventure sports and they like Primaloft for a lot of their clothing where wet is going to be a given. I sure like my Primaloft jacket. It dries faster than even a lot of the earlier synthetics and it's warmth to weight ratio surprised me.

I do have a treated down KUIU sleeping bag on the recommendation of those same younger, world traveling friends, but a sleep bag requirements are different than pants.
Posted By: 805 Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
Don’t overlook Feathered friends or the Stone glacier pants either. I just picked up a pair of the Black Ovis pants but haven’t used them yet. Montana wasn’t cold enough🤔.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
The Lost Park pants are warmer and tougher than the first lites.
Posted By: GregW Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
I only wear my Kuius when glassing. Hike in, dry off, put on, glass, take off before moving again. They work well IME...
Originally Posted by 805
Don’t overlook Feathered friends or the Stone glacier pants either. I just picked up a pair of the Black Ovis pants but haven’t used them yet. Montana wasn’t cold enough🤔.

The thing about the SG Grummon is the 15d shell. That seems really light to me.
Originally Posted by GregW
I only wear my Kuius when glassing. Hike in, dry off, put on, glass, take off before moving again. They work well IME...

That is exactly my plan. I cant imagine climbing 1500 feet over 1-3 miles with puffy pants on. Maybe in Antartica......
Posted By: 805 Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by 805

The thing about the SG Grummon is the 15d shell. That seems really light to me.

That’s definitely thin and a concern also. I’m pretty impressed with the black Ovis pants especially for the price. I planned to use them just for glassing like Greg stated also.
Posted By: Holston Re: Puffy pants - 11/19/21
How far are you packing them?

If I’m not going far, or packability/weight isn’t a huge concern, I love my level 7 ECWCS.

They won’t be beat for warmth, can be found pretty inexpensive, and are pretty tough.

I still might grab the lost park pants for when I’m trekking a long ways and packing meat out.

The military pants are warm enough, even for all day sits in the 20s, I wear nothing but Eddie Bauer guide pants under them.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Puffy pants - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by Holston
I still might grab the lost park pants for when I’m trekking a long ways and packing meat out.

Too warm for that, but good for sitting.....
Posted By: Holston Re: Puffy pants - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Holston

Too warm for that, but good for sitting.....

Yea, meant for sitting when I get there and I don't have room for the military ones.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Puffy pants - 11/20/21
Kuiu. Both the jacket and pants remain in my pack year round. Great for sitting. Way too hot for walking though. I also use them to extend the temp range of my quilt. That usually only lasts about thirty minutes before it gets overly warm.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Puffy pants - 11/21/21
I have patagonia and integral designs puffy pants (and jackets I guess) . The id pants have fleece lined pockets, which is 100% money when you're freezing.

That being said, if thinking about puffys id be thinking kifaru, and they are on sale right now.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Puffy pants - 11/21/21
Originally Posted by cwh2
I have patagonia and integral designs puffy pants (and jackets I guess) . The id pants have fleece lined pockets, which is 100% money when you're freezing.

That being said, if thinking about puffys id be thinking kifaru, and they are on sale right now.

They are on sale and have been sold out since last week ☹
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Puffy pants - 11/22/21
I have Mt. Hardware compressor synthetics and Western Mountaineering flight down pants. Both have full side zips which are essential for me. I only use them for glassing or calling, never when moving. The down pants are warmer but cost more than twice as much as the synthetic, both are well made. If you are going to sit for an hour or more in real cold and wind I would go with the best down you can buy. The WM's cost $300.00 but are superb.

mike r
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Stone Glacier...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Posted By: GregW Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Thanks for your meaningful contribution like usual, dumbass...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Grumpy.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Any experience with Skre Ptarmagin puffys? They have alot of 850 fill down (5.2oz) - but if they are fragile, isnt worth $10.

https://skregear.com/product/ptarmigan-down-pants/
Posted By: SKane Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
Have you considered the Rab Photon pant?

I've used them on plenty of subzero sits and they seemingly insulate far beyond their 100gr rating.
Posted By: CRS Re: Puffy pants - 11/23/21
I bought some FL on sale and used them last year with with no issues. Like above, I pack them in and put them on when I get to where I am going. Seem to work just fine.

This fall has been way too warm for them, maybe I will need them for my December muzzleloader hunt...
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
Do they make them in white so I can look like the Michelin man?
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
Don't think you can beat the Kuiu for packability. I have the Lost Park Parka and love it, but the Kuiu is more packable IMO.. With that said, I don't have the Kifaru pants so take my comments that in mind.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
I use arc'teryx atom lt pants (the leaf version). They are warm.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
See if you can scare up an old pair of the Eddie Bauer Kara Koram parka pants. I'm not sure they are made any longer, but my old orange pants and parka are the same ones they climb the expedition mountains in and you don't need anything else to stay warm. My set rides around in my pack until I get in my stand when it is major cold and that down fill is outstanding. Most of us have lots of jacket options, but lots of your major muscle groups are your gluts and upper thighs. I've often taken just the pants if room is an issue in my pack. I've shot lots of deer wearing that parka outfit because I was comfortable on my stand when the guys in the sweat shirts were cold and walking around.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
I can’t speak to the pants but I’ve got a Kifaru lost jacket in both pull over & full zip - rhino skin is very tough, windproof & reasonably repellent even though it seems thinner than typical ripstop nylon. The insulation is warmer than I thought & hydrophobic as well. If memory serves, the pants have 500d Cordura in the seat & knees like the jackets do on the front & elbows.

I love mine but never needed the pants.
Posted By: Nashville Re: Puffy pants - 12/05/21
I have both down pants from kuiu and pack them according to the weather conditions. I only wear them when stationary and only under my pants to avoid damaging them. I would recommend whichever brand you go with has side zippers.

I keep a set, along with my rain gear, on every outting. Comes in handy when you have an unexpected night out.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Puffy pants - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by GregW

Thanks for your meaningful contribution like usual, dumbass...

Stop.

Hammer Time!
Posted By: Judman Re: Puffy pants - 12/07/21

Haha your not a dumbass fireball. 😂😂
Posted By: Wildcathunter Re: Puffy pants - 12/07/21
Another option to consider is the Primaloft Gen III Level 7 pant. These are the outer layer in the military's ECWCS. They aren't as stylish and fashionable as the others mentioned, but they work well and can be had for $35 per pair. They are very durable and zip on and off just like the other brands mentioned. They also come in a stone gray color, which I like for hunting.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Puffy pants - 12/08/21
Try wool. You might be surprised. Warm wet or dry, fairly light depending on what weight you buy and low odor.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Puffy pants - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by Wildcathunter
Another option to consider is the Primaloft Gen III Level 7 pant. These are the outer layer in the military's ECWCS. They aren't as stylish and fashionable as the others mentioned, but they work well and can be had for $35 per pair. They are very durable and zip on and off just like the other brands mentioned. They also come in a stone gray color, which I like for hunting.

I don't think those can be beat as far as bang for the buck. As usual, they aren't the most packable or the lightest of the options, but certainly more durable than most.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Puffy pants - 12/09/21
Anyone have a real world weight on the ECWS puffy?
Posted By: Wildcathunter Re: Puffy pants - 12/09/21
I'll get a weight on mine later today for you.
Excellent - Thank you!
Posted By: Wildcathunter Re: Puffy pants - 12/09/21

Size large regular weighs 31oz. on my digital scale.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Puffy pants - 12/09/21
I have a brand new set of large regulars I will send to anyone that can use them. Way too big for me and they have been talking up space for 2 years.
Originally Posted by Wildcathunter

Size large regular weighs 31oz. on my digital scale.

Thank you very much!
© 24hourcampfire