Home
Posted By: TrueGrit Scouting while flying. - 06/21/22
I've always done most of my new ground scouting out of an airplane. Personally I don't know why it's not recommended on the Campfire, especially for public land hunting. You'll learn more from the air in a couple of hours than walking around for a week.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/21/22
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've always done most of my new ground scouting out of an airplane. Personally I don't know why it's not recommended on the Campfire, especially for public land hunting. You'll learn more from the air in a couple of hours than walking around for a week.

Don’t forget to take a camera/cell phone for aerial photos.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/21/22
Legality, for one thing. State laws concerning scouting from the air vary but some consider any looking for animals for hunting purposes as “hunting” and may be illegal to do so from the air, regardless of how long before you actually hunt the area.

Cost is likely another. Flying gets expensive fast and sometimes a person has a lot of ground to cover.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/25/22
I would bet big money that the #1 reason people don't talk about it is that they don't want to give up their "secret" method.

Plenty of places where it's the only practical way to see anything.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/25/22
Not many ,but several small airplanes have augered in over the years trying to fly around 12,000 + mountains in the west. Plus I' d bet the average hunter does not have the means to do it
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/26/22
Used to scout by air years ago. Locals were quite hostile and shot at me a lot.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/26/22
Google earth is a hell of a lot cheaper….
Posted By: las Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/29/22
Airplane hunting falls in the same class as long range shooting at animals as far as I am concerned. A bit beyond what I consider fair chase.

Of course, I can't afford it, either...... smile

So called "scouting" from the air during season deserves a good round or two. I'm tolerant if you do it before season opens.

Much as I'd have liked to, I've never loosed a round at a low-flying, scouting" plane while hunting/ during season. I have unloaded the rifle, completely, and "scoped" two.

I love to see those SOB's hang their plane on a wing.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/29/22
Well, that's pretty stupid. But I guess we all do stupid things from time to time.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Scouting while flying. - 06/29/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Used to scout by air years ago. Locals were quite hostile and shot at me a lot.

LMAO

🦫
The was an outfitter that did that years ago here in SW Colorado. Plane crashed killing him, his brother & the pilot. Small plane in the Rockies with the thin air----looking for trouble IMO.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/07/22
Mountain flying in hot weather at anything over 4,000 ft MSL but less than 500 AGL (above ground level) is asking for trouble - even if you're trained for it - at 8000ft a whole other world - " scouting"at 12,000ft make sure you're 'crash beacon' works and you have good hiking boots, cause the odds are you'll be walking out with your rescuers . . . if you survive the 'landing'
Posted By: 458Win Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Mountain flying in hot weather at anything over 4,000 ft MSL but less than 500 AGL (above ground level) is asking for trouble - even if you're trained for it - at 8000ft a whole other world - " scouting"at 12,000ft make sure you're 'crash beacon' works and you have good hiking boots, cause the odds are you'll be walking out with your rescuers . . . if you survive the 'landing'

As a private pilot I built up time towards my commercial license flying surveys of feral burros and bighorn sheep down in the tight corridors of the Grand Canyon at elevations of 4000 to 9000 feet and temperatures as high as 100 degrees.
The pilot just needs to know what they are doing and to pay attention to the flying.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/08/22
If one is doing it very near hunting season I am mostly against it.
During season I am FULL ON AGAINST it.

Looking over a hunting area from the air in the months before season just gives one a feel for the area.
If you have the means, by all means then, get in that plane and look around. Doing it a few weeks before season or during the season and I'll think you're a cheatin' crappy hunter, probably fat and out of shape too. I've heard drones flying over us during elk season in CO. It's 100% illegal in CO as an aid in hunting, and I'm quite certain they weren't using it to find a lost dog. Drones during hunting season are fair game IMO.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/11/22
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Google earth is a hell of a lot cheaper….
This, I've used to find game trails and choke points.
Can't say I've used that practice but have hunted and lodged from the comfort of an yacht. Spotting from a private deck is pretty awesome and so is coming back from land to have fresh 5 star meals and a jump in the hot tub at the end of the day.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/12/22
Ethics are always difficult to enforce legally.
Game cameras, spotting from the air , long range shooting, continuing to hunt after wounding animals, etc, etc.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/24/22
If it's legal - have at it and good luck.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/25/22
I don't like the idea but it's legal in Idaho. You just can't fly and hunt the same day, either with manned plane or a drone.
I've been in the high mountains and had pilots from the Mountain Home AFB fly over a VERY low altitudes, practicing mountain flying. That would be spooky flying through a deep draw at 300 to 500 mph. Man do those engines roar in the mountains.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/25/22
Same in Alaska. You aren't allowed to fly and hunt on the same day. Fact of the matter is it takes a plane to get some places.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/26/22
Although in Alaska, use of drones is explicitly disallowed for hunting, including spotting or locating game.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/26/22
Same down here, drones get no love.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/26/22
i got a care for drones its called 10 gauge /lead shot
Posted By: Boise Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/26/22
I did several flights to SE Idaho to scout for sheep once I had a tag. It was much faster and cheaper to fly than drive. A good friend had a nice plane and I paid for the gas. I was amazed at how easy it was to spot sheep from the plane...I was never in the military. I spotted the very sheep I wanted, flew down a second time and found him again within a 100 yards of where i had seen him on the previous trip. Drove down for my hunt, hiked in opening morning and he wasn't right there but I did locate him a quarter mile away. I was able to get up to him and made a good shot. I had Google Earth the place a bunch and drove down scouting over two weekends but learned more on one flight than all my other work.

I had similar success scouting for antelope on public ground. Learned there is an awful lot of good ground with no antelope and what antelope there tended to concentrate in limited areas. Opening morning was there sitting waiting for shooting time, popped over the ridge and had several shooter bucks in range but it seemed too easy so I passed. It was not long afterwards I was calling myself a dumbass. Took two days to get up on another shooter.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't like the idea but it's legal in Idaho. You just can't fly and hunt the same day, either with manned plane or a drone.
I've been in the high mountains and had pilots from the Mountain Home AFB fly over a VERY low altitudes, practicing mountain flying. That would be spooky flying through a deep draw at 300 to 500 mph. Man do those engines roar in the mountains.
Some years ago B-52's did the same thing. They were practicing for the DAY they had to go to the SOVIET UNION !!!
Posted By: mauserfan Re: Scouting while flying. - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by las
Airplane hunting falls in the same class as long range shooting at animals as far as I am concerned.

Amen
© 24hourcampfire