Home
Posted By: Elvis Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
I just watched a vid by a bloke called Randy Newberg. He shot a wolf in Montana and then took the meat to eat.

Why would you eat a wolf??????? May as well eat the neighbour's spaniel as well.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Just to appease the tree huggers.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
It's not like an domestic dog. Those wild canids carry some parasites you don't want. He did this for publicity and shock value.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
It's not like an domestic dog. Those wild canids carry some parasites you don't want. He did this for publicity and shock value.

Yep, all for the camera, no way he’s eating all the game he kills in a season. He’s giving it away or sending it to the landfill.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Unless I watched it from field to fork I’d about bet that wasn’t the same animal. Anyone with a large online hunting presence attempts to make it look like they eat everything that their bullet touches. I eat 95% of what I kill, but canids aren’t on my menu.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Eating wolves ? absolutely

Eating, running, standing, laying, sleeping or shi tting wolves ...

Shoot them like you find them !
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
As mentioned the parasitic load of wild canines is orders of magnitude greater than that of modern domestic canines. I don’t know how much worse the parasitic infestation of a wolf would be compared to bear. I’m not too interested in eating bear meat anyway…mostly because I’m not keen on eating predators.

With that said Lewis & Clark as well as North Korea look at dog as a delicacy. I can’t imagine that any canine from the pre-vaccination era of the 19th century would be any better or worse than wolves or coyotes.

I’ve heard great things about bear meat when properly cooked and taken from a “clean” bear, one that isn’t a dump bear or eating fish. I’m still happy to give any bear meat to a couple friends that love bear.

I’ve heard good things about cougar meat too. It’s been said that “painter” as the old timers referred to “panther” was as fine a wild game meat as could be found anywhere. There again I ain’t interested in eating mountain lions or bobcats unless I was dying of starvation.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
I've never eaten black bear even though I've killed the sh it outta them over the years, got a bunch of Alaskan Native friends that are always thankful for the meat donations
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by Region6
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Yep, all for the camera, no way he’s eating all the game he kills in a season. He’s giving it away or sending it to the landfill.

I am sure you're right it is mainly for the camera and honestly, since it seems Randy's videos are the type that may be used to help educate non hunters if not straight up anti-hunters, I support how they do it. It may or may not be a bit misleading, but it does shine a positive light on the sport.

I believe Randy has mentioned that he has some sort of a condition that requires him to limit his protein intake, so he can't eat a whole lot of meat at all, supposedly. I do think he's honest enough to not do anything illegal like sending it to the landfill but I couldn't imagine he doesn't donate most all of it to whomever. Most states have programs to donate game meat.

As far as eating wolves...no thanks. I think Steve Rinella ate a coyote on camera once. Again, no thanks. I usually will take the backstrap off cougars and have done so with clean smelling bears, both black and grizzly, but that is about it. I stopped bear hunting in Montana and spring in Alaska because you legally have to utilize the meat.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am sure you're right it is mainly for the camera and honestly, since it seems Randy's videos are the type that may be used to help educate non hunters if not straight up anti-hunters, I support how they do it. It may or may not be a bit misleading, but it does shine a positive light on the sport.

I go back and forth on this aspect. On the one hand, you're right in that he shines a positive light for non-hunters and that's a good thing. On the other hand, they need to understand that eating the meat is not the only legitimate reason to kill an animal.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I go back and forth on this aspect. On the one hand, you're right in that he shines a positive light for non-hunters and that's a good thing. On the other hand, they need to understand that eating the meat is not the only legitimate reason to kill an animal.

Solid point, and one I won't argue with.
Posted By: erich Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Over the years I've eaten a lot of things that people turn their nose up at,. My traplines used to keep the freezer full with Raccoon, Muskrat and beaver very fine fare. I've eaten coyote, bobcat and mountain lion, bobcat and mountain lion are good, the coyotes tasted like it smells. But then I've eaten dog in the far east and it was delicious, I think if the Asian cook had fixed the coyote it would have been good. Coyote sausage with garlic greens, plum sauce on a rice flour tortilla even sounds good. One thing I learned real fast over there was enjoy the meal, it is going to be good, ask what it was after your done.

There used to be a Native American story teller that traveled around the country, I looked forward to his nights on the radio, I lived in a tent next to the rez and the best reception was the rez radio station. He would tell of his dog that traveled with him, its name was "Dubious" and he wasn't so much as a companion but more like emergency ration, he was fun to listen to.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Skinning a wolf is a very smelly process. It would be very difficult for me to eat one.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by VernAK
Skinning a wolf is a very smelly process. It would be very difficult for me to eat one.

Agreed
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Buzzards won’t eat dogs
Posted By: atse Re: Eating Wolves - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by VernAK
This. I have killed a lot of wolves, and even fresh, they smell rotten. No way that I would eat one of them. The parasites they carry is unbelievable.
Posted By: erich Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
I've shot a few coyotes that weren't in any condition to skin and the buzzard cleaned them up pretty fast.
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
Well, about 12yrs ago I posted this..........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5776537/i-ate-my-wolf#Post5776537

Decide for yourself.
Posted By: skeen Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by JCS271
Well, about 12yrs ago I posted this..........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5776537/i-ate-my-wolf#Post5776537

Decide for yourself.

Originally Posted by viking
If you get the itch to start howling.........

Thats cool.

LOL laugh
Posted By: MAC Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
Black bear and mountsin lion are both really good. If I shot a wolf I would probably try it but I would use a pressure cooker on it.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
When the Lewis and Clark expedition got to the Nez Perce they were fed dog. They like it so much they ate more and the Indians name for white men meant dog eater after that.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Eating Wolves - 01/01/23
I have never skinned a wolf but I have skinned Coyotes and Foxes under the skin their fat smells like Dog shidt. Wouldn't eat it unless there was nothing else.
Posted By: Westman Re: Eating Wolves - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
As mentioned the parasitic load of wild canines is orders of magnitude greater than that of modern domestic canines. I don’t know how much worse the parasitic infestation of a wolf would be compared to bear. I’m not too interested in eating bear meat anyway…mostly because I’m not keen on eating predators.

With that said Lewis & Clark as well as North Korea look at dog as a delicacy. I can’t imagine that any canine from the pre-vaccination era of the 19th century would be any better or worse than wolves or coyotes.

I’ve heard great things about bear meat when properly cooked and taken from a “clean” bear, one that isn’t a dump bear or eating fish. I’m still happy to give any bear meat to a couple friends that love bear.

I’ve heard good things about cougar meat too. It’s been said that “painter” as the old timers referred to “panther” was as fine a wild game meat as could be found anywhere. There again I ain’t interested in eating mountain lions or bobcats unless I was dying of starvation.

I'm with you on all of those critters. I could no more eat a cat than fly.....
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Eating Wolves - 01/03/23
I'd shoot 10 of them, leave 100% of the meat to the worms, and not feel a damn bit bad about it.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Eating Wolves - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I'd shoot 10 of them, leave 100% of the meat to the worms, and not feel a damn bit bad about it.

Word.
Posted By: las Re: Eating Wolves - 01/03/23
I've eaten mountain lion, once only. It was good. Never canine. Porcupine once-not so good - we were drunk and it got a bit dry- you might even say charcoaled.... smile

Sometimes I wonder how wolves survive even tapeworms. I found a dried "pancake" once, out moose hunting. It was about 10 inches in diameter, an inch to 2 inches thick, virtually all tapeworms. If that was wolf scat, that was one sick puppy!

I did not eat the 9 month old wolf I killed.... but that would be the kind to dine on if one were so inclined.

I don't recall her smelling bad, during skinning, but she had been frozen for a week or so - mostly to make sure her lice were gone. Wolves here are lousy- literally - and tend to be bad fur later in the winter. She was killed in November, good pelt, if a bit on the small side.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Eating Wolves - 01/04/23
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Buzzards won’t eat dogs
I've heard that a buzzard won't eat a bobcat either. Just for the record it's BS I've seen buzzards eat both. Why the he'll anyone would eat varmints when there's plenty of deer is beyond me.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Eating Wolves - 01/04/23
I have no problem killing an animal for reasons other than to eat it. I have put a lot of fox and coyotes on the stretcher and never had the least interest in eating one. I ate dog a few times in the Philippines because it was socially advisable to do so. It was awful…dry, chewy, strong tasting…it was like eating tough, liver that had been way overcooked. I’ve eaten coon, but never cared for it…too greasy for my taste. Muskrat and beaver are both good.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Eating Wolves - 01/04/23
I have eaten meat from several spring black bears from Alaska and fall black bear from Newfoundland which fed primarily on blueberries and garbage. I like the Newfoundland black bear the best. It had a good flavor. It reminded me of roast beef. The spring bear didn't have much flavor and was easy to overseason but was still good. I understand that fall black bear that eat fish are disgusting. That being said, I have never eaten wolf but would be willing to try. I would probably not think it was nearly as disgusting as some things that people eat on a regular basis. Canned smoked mussels come to mind.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Eating Wolves - 01/05/23
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Word.

Worms need to eat too.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Eating Wolves - 01/05/23
Newberg is an attention whore evidently, as was Meateater when eating a coyote. That's the kind of stuff you eat when you're attempting not to starve to death, not for TV ratings or idiots telling you what a badass you are. Ridiculous.
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Eating Wolves - 01/05/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Newberg is an attention whore evidently, as was Meateater when eating a coyote. That's the kind of stuff you eat when you're attempting not to starve to death, not for TV ratings or idiots telling you what a badass you are. Ridiculous.

Totally agree with above comment. This is a ridiculous topic and why it is still here.
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Eating Wolves - 01/05/23
If you can eat guts, brains, and rotting fish, whats a little dog meat? I imagine you could grind it and make dogsage. I thought about making squirrelsage but thats allot of squirrels.
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Eating Wolves - 01/06/23
Yes, he is an attention whore. In this case he is also virtue signaling. That pompous ass thinks he is better than everyone else, especially all you lowlifes on the fire. One of the reasons I don't particularly care for him. He is also best buddy's with Buzz.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Eating Wolves - 01/06/23
nope not me i ain`t eating coyotes - wolves - possum - dogs - cats none of that crap heck i don`t care for goose or duck either , the only way i probably have ate this kind of crap is when i did not know i was eating it at a Chinese buffet place. i have skinned enough coyotes and fox to know a wolf would probably be just as nasty smelling so there is no way i would eat a dirty smelly wolf ick !
Posted By: hanco Re: Eating Wolves - 01/07/23
I would have to be real hungry
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Eating Wolves - 01/08/23
I shot a mature female wolf in November here in northern B.C. and she did not smell at all while skinning. I didn’t eat any of the meat though. I was surprised because I skinned and tanned a wolf a few years ago for a friend that he had snared, and it smelled horrible. Not really a describable smell.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Eating Wolves - 01/08/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
I've never eaten black bear even though I've killed the sh it outta them over the years, got a bunch of Alaskan Native friends that are always thankful for the meat donations

I have a friend who smokes his bears and it makes smoked bear sandwiches to die for......
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Eating Wolves - 01/11/23
I thank my Creator that i haven't been so hungry as to need to eat Dogs, Coyotes, Wolves, etc...
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Eating Wolves - 01/12/23
I once know an old gentleman who lived across the street from me. Ed was a pretty cool old guy and I hunted with him a few times. He prospected in the summer and trapped in the winter and I always kidded him about being the last of the mountain men.

Anyway, Ed was always happy if he caught a bobcat or mountain lion in one of his traps. The bobcat he would eat in camp and the lion he'd bring home and put it cut and wrapped into the freezer. He said that the lion and bobcat were good eating but coyotes were vile. I've never been lucky enough to kill either one to where I could eat the meat. I did kill a mountain lion that was stalking me in a serious state of mind. She was only a few feet away when I finally decided to shoot. The game warden took her in and would let me carve off a steak or two to try. Bummer!
PJ
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Eating Wolves - 01/14/23
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Word.

Amen.

It’s like Covid masks. Flags the idiots right off the bat so you don’t have to spend any more mental energy trying to figure it out.

Ol’ Randy has ruined a lot of people’s good hunting spots in his quest to do whatever the hell it is he’s doing. It’d be rather ironic if he picked up a parasite or two whoring for more “clicks.”
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Eating Wolves - 01/15/23
If I was gonna starve I’d do it but otherwise no thanks. I have eaten Bear at a wild game feed, it tasted different but not bad.

My wife’s grandfather who has now passed told me his grandad who homesteaded the place (Would’ve been late 1800’s) ate a prairie dog once and said he’d rather starve than do that again. Same with jackrabbits.

No varmints for me, including Canines of any sort Fox to Wolf. I don’t know anyone who’s eaten a Bobcat but have heard several say Mountain Lion is top notch.

Of the wild game I’ve eaten; Pronghorn Antelope and Elk are my favorites.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Eating Wolves - 01/15/23

Gonna defend Meateater.
He wasn't on a soapbox making some point.
His show was about hunting, and trying different meat and methods.

He was public land hunting, not guided, like a huge chunk of the hunting population.
Bigger was better, but a successful hunt was good enough.
Skunked was OK.

There actually guys who enjoy hunting, period.
The are happy killing a nice animal.
And eating it is a big part of that.

No, never ate coyote, skunk, possum. Not interested in wolf on the plate.
Black Bear I like.
© 24hourcampfire