Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just watched a vid by a bloke called Randy Newberg. He shot a wolf in Montana and then took the meat to eat.

Why would you eat a wolf??????? May as well eat the neighbour's spaniel as well.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just to appease the tree huggers.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's not like an domestic dog. Those wild canids carry some parasites you don't want. He did this for publicity and shock value.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
It's not like an domestic dog. Those wild canids carry some parasites you don't want. He did this for publicity and shock value.

Yep, all for the camera, no way he’s eating all the game he kills in a season. He’s giving it away or sending it to the landfill.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Unless I watched it from field to fork I’d about bet that wasn’t the same animal. Anyone with a large online hunting presence attempts to make it look like they eat everything that their bullet touches. I eat 95% of what I kill, but canids aren’t on my menu.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Eating wolves ? absolutely

Eating, running, standing, laying, sleeping or shi tting wolves ...

Shoot them like you find them !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As mentioned the parasitic load of wild canines is orders of magnitude greater than that of modern domestic canines. I don’t know how much worse the parasitic infestation of a wolf would be compared to bear. I’m not too interested in eating bear meat anyway…mostly because I’m not keen on eating predators.

With that said Lewis & Clark as well as North Korea look at dog as a delicacy. I can’t imagine that any canine from the pre-vaccination era of the 19th century would be any better or worse than wolves or coyotes.

I’ve heard great things about bear meat when properly cooked and taken from a “clean” bear, one that isn’t a dump bear or eating fish. I’m still happy to give any bear meat to a couple friends that love bear.

I’ve heard good things about cougar meat too. It’s been said that “painter” as the old timers referred to “panther” was as fine a wild game meat as could be found anywhere. There again I ain’t interested in eating mountain lions or bobcats unless I was dying of starvation.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never eaten black bear even though I've killed the sh it outta them over the years, got a bunch of Alaskan Native friends that are always thankful for the meat donations

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Region6
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Yep, all for the camera, no way he’s eating all the game he kills in a season. He’s giving it away or sending it to the landfill.

I am sure you're right it is mainly for the camera and honestly, since it seems Randy's videos are the type that may be used to help educate non hunters if not straight up anti-hunters, I support how they do it. It may or may not be a bit misleading, but it does shine a positive light on the sport.

I believe Randy has mentioned that he has some sort of a condition that requires him to limit his protein intake, so he can't eat a whole lot of meat at all, supposedly. I do think he's honest enough to not do anything illegal like sending it to the landfill but I couldn't imagine he doesn't donate most all of it to whomever. Most states have programs to donate game meat.

As far as eating wolves...no thanks. I think Steve Rinella ate a coyote on camera once. Again, no thanks. I usually will take the backstrap off cougars and have done so with clean smelling bears, both black and grizzly, but that is about it. I stopped bear hunting in Montana and spring in Alaska because you legally have to utilize the meat.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am sure you're right it is mainly for the camera and honestly, since it seems Randy's videos are the type that may be used to help educate non hunters if not straight up anti-hunters, I support how they do it. It may or may not be a bit misleading, but it does shine a positive light on the sport.

I go back and forth on this aspect. On the one hand, you're right in that he shines a positive light for non-hunters and that's a good thing. On the other hand, they need to understand that eating the meat is not the only legitimate reason to kill an animal.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I go back and forth on this aspect. On the one hand, you're right in that he shines a positive light for non-hunters and that's a good thing. On the other hand, they need to understand that eating the meat is not the only legitimate reason to kill an animal.

Solid point, and one I won't argue with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over the years I've eaten a lot of things that people turn their nose up at,. My traplines used to keep the freezer full with Raccoon, Muskrat and beaver very fine fare. I've eaten coyote, bobcat and mountain lion, bobcat and mountain lion are good, the coyotes tasted like it smells. But then I've eaten dog in the far east and it was delicious, I think if the Asian cook had fixed the coyote it would have been good. Coyote sausage with garlic greens, plum sauce on a rice flour tortilla even sounds good. One thing I learned real fast over there was enjoy the meal, it is going to be good, ask what it was after your done.

There used to be a Native American story teller that traveled around the country, I looked forward to his nights on the radio, I lived in a tent next to the rez and the best reception was the rez radio station. He would tell of his dog that traveled with him, its name was "Dubious" and he wasn't so much as a companion but more like emergency ration, he was fun to listen to.

Last edited by erich; 12/31/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Skinning a wolf is a very smelly process. It would be very difficult for me to eat one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by VernAK
Skinning a wolf is a very smelly process. It would be very difficult for me to eat one.

Agreed

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Buzzards won’t eat dogs

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by VernAK
This. I have killed a lot of wolves, and even fresh, they smell rotten. No way that I would eat one of them. The parasites they carry is unbelievable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shot a few coyotes that weren't in any condition to skin and the buzzard cleaned them up pretty fast.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, about 12yrs ago I posted this..........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5776537/i-ate-my-wolf#Post5776537

Decide for yourself.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
Well, about 12yrs ago I posted this..........

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5776537/i-ate-my-wolf#Post5776537

Decide for yourself.

Originally Posted by viking
If you get the itch to start howling.........

Thats cool.

LOL laugh

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Black bear and mountsin lion are both really good. If I shot a wolf I would probably try it but I would use a pressure cooker on it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 3,166 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,091
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.