Home
Being broke and a gun nut, my mind is wandering. With cash now burning a hole in the pocket, I am wavering even more. This may turn out to be me answering my own question at the end, but wanted public ideas.

I will put this in caps, as most skim and respond without really knowing the original question. I SHOOT LEFT HANDED.

1. I have a Winchester 70 Classic LH in 7 Mag that doesn't shoot like I want it to. Was really set on getting a nice barrel and having it rebarreled to 338 Win Mag. Topping it with a Leupy with an elevation turret and being ready to tackle about anything in NA and my African plains game trip. BCs on the 225 Accubond are stellar. Thought this would weigh in around 8.5 or so when finished. Most of this was over the glass smooth action of the 70 and the CRF.

BUT, I already have a semi-rare factory LH 700 in 338 Win Mag. Shoots well, and feeds well. Just blued steel, and a 24"tube. Not so neaty-cooly with a McMillan and Cerakote. But it's bedded into a B+C stock and has a 3.5-10X Leupy which could probably go back for the elevation turret. Scope is gloss, so the whole shebang is not so Campfire Cool.

2.Grab a nice, new Ruger African in .375Ruger. Get another LH CRF, 3 position safety, back up irons, which for some reason seem like a plus rather than a negative now, as I am usually very anti open sights on the ADL type rifles. Load up some non punishing 260 Accubonds, which also do not have a terrible BC, and do the same thing?

Fly in this ointment is that I have a custom 375 Ultra Mag. It is manageable, but is not breaked, and you need to pay attention when shooting it.

I know most will poo-poo the need for such large rounds, but it's just my personal taste or beliefs. Not a fan of the 243s for deer. Never ever warmed up to the 270 for anything, though I am trying to find new love for a 270WSM in a Tikka I never really wrung out.

So I am fan of +.30 calibers, though I have never shot an elk. Hoping to finally draw, and if so, I have a guided hunt waiting for me in 16B of the Gila. Better than average chance of a bull of a lifetime.

And finally, most also say that there are not many opportunities for shots over 300 yards. I beg to differ. Though most have been at mule deer, I can think of no shots I have taken here out West in NM, ID, or WA that were under 160 yards, save one Blacktail spike at 20 yards with a 45-70.

Even the bear I took in WA was above timberline with no way to close the distance before dark.....402 yards.

So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?

I guess there seems to be much more a want than a need as I have both choices doubled in already having a serviceable, but plain 338, and a hot rod Long Range 375.

So I did not answer my own question. Torn over the look and feel of the African, vs my All Time favorite round in the 338 Win Mag.
"So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?"

I think that was the real question there?

Given the ballistics of the round and your limitation of 400 yards I would think it would be just dandy with a B&C reticle, and thus would do what you need. I've run a B&C across a number of cartridges and loads, and what you are describing should work out to MORE than 400 yards FWIW.

More importantly, it would do what you WANT- which is to buy a new rifle <g>.

Please report back if/when you try this. Sounds like a nice rig. AlaskaCub just got one, you might PM him.

Yeah, I know. Surf here daily and more and more are getting me horned up over the 375. And like you, I usually run all the numbers vs the B+C. Some are hit and miss even though it's supposed to be serviceable for a wide range of calibers. Seems AC was hot on his .338 and now singing a different tune with the addition of the Ruger. Granted he will have a more appropriate use in his neck, but I don't think it's terribly overgunned for elk, bears, possible relocation to MT in Grizz country, or Kudu or Gemsbok either.

Also email Dick Davis of McM. He did state that the Hawkeyes and newer Rugers will fit the MKII 77 stocks. I know it's been discussed here prior, but again, being a lefty, I want to make sure everything will work before pulling the trigger on the whole thing.

Guessing in a pinch or other I could dump the 700 .338, the M1999 .375 Ultra and have a decent all around rifle in the .375 Ruger with a B+C, correct?
Keep the .338, dump the .375UM, get the .375 Ruger.

That would be my game plan.

Or just keep what you've got and add the Ruger laugh

I think that your Africa Plains Game hunt is going to be your decision maker. If it weren't for that, I would say build the .338 Win of your dreams. That is what I did. I too had a LH M70 in 7mm RM that I was not impressed with. Sent it to IT&D for a rebarrel and ordered a new stock from Bansner's. Bedded it with a Williams 1pc BM and threw on a Leupold 2.5-8x36 in LW Talley's and I am absolutely tickled with how it performs. The goal was to have a medium/medium-light, do-anything-in-North-America rifle....and I feel I pulled it off. If you are considering smaller game as well (such as deer), I feel you will be better served with the .338. Not only for the better ballistic advantage but the ability to load lighter loads to match the game at hand. No need in using 260gr loads in an H&H for a blacktail when a 180gr Accubond or 185gr TSX is available for the .338.

Since I don't have any experience with the Dark Continent, I don't feel I should give you advice on the game there. I hear that people recommend the H&H even if you are only after plains game in the event you come across an angry lion or the like. I don't know how I would feel with a .338 in my hands in such a situation.

I think the best way to look at what to do is first establish the most primary purpose of the rifle and go from there.

At least that is my .02 cents
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
...Not only for the better ballistic advantage but the ability to load lighter loads to match the game at hand. No need in using 260gr loads in an H&H for a blacktail when a 180gr Accubond or 185gr TSX is available for the .338.

What ballistic advantage would that be?
War Eagle-

Are you saying that you also turned your 7mag into a LH 338? Didn't catch the chambering on the rebarrel project.

As far as African Plains game, though I have not been there yet, most recommend the 30-06...so I would not feel undergunned at all with a .338 and 225 Accubonds or a TSX thrown in the mix depending on the rifles' likes or dislikes .

And yes, if I do go the route of the rebarrel, it will be(hopefully) my darling, everyday, everyhunt rifle. It will be toted for deer.

Having taken 2 bears in the last few years, I love getting out for spring bears and enjoying glassing the slopes after a long winter. Be it with a backpack or out of the vehicle for day hunts. So primary function would be bears, deer and elk.

Again, for some reason, I just love the .338 cartridge.
JJ,

I sure like my Ruger Hawkeye African, and I sent the other .375s down the road. I like the 270 gr bullets for North American hunting, and the rifle and load work well with the B&C reticle. I have been using one in a VXIII 3.5-10X40 and recently got a VX3 2.5-8X36. I have also used two of the Swaro reticles on the .375 Ruger.

My wife is a lefty, so I pay attention to such issues.

good hunting...jim
If it were me I would sell your 7mm RM that you don't quite like and sell the 375 Ultra Mag too. Keep your 338 since you love the round and get the 375 Ruger. I looked hard at the 375 Ruger before commiting to buy one, had grizzly mostly in mind but wanted it to be versatile too. Looking at ballistic tables it will work well with a bullet like the 260 Accubond to take a 400 yard + shot on a moose if I am up to the task. Look forward to working with the round in the months ahead.
Fun problems to have uh?????

Have you thought of putting a brake on the custom 375 RUM? Do you have an extra long barrel on it, like a 28" or longer? If that rifle is not now easily do-able for field use or not reasonably easy to carry around, why not just keep that one, shorten the tube down a little (if over 26") and put a brake on it as well?

I own a 375 Ruger Alaskan myself. It`s a truly wonderful cartridge. If you didn`t already have the RUM, I`d say get the African. But the RUM can be loaded down to lower levels and with a brake, you just may be pleasantly surprised.

Keep the 338 and modify your 375 RUM if possible. That should save quite a few bucks!

I think the .375 Ruger is a neat cartridge. One thing I find annoying for it though is the cost and availability of brass. I don't know if that's an issue for you or not, but thought I'd throw it out there. Another option over the .338 win mag is the .358 Norma using .300 Win mag brass. Something to consider.
Have you considered a 325 WSM?
I have really taken a liking to mine and think it may be a great option for any medium to the largest game in North America as well as plains game in Africa.

P.S. I know it wasn't one of your initial options and I apologize for not sticking to your request, but I could help but share my positive opinion about the 325 shorty.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What ballistic advantage would that be?

I was referring to ballistic coefficient. Sorry. Sometimes trying to reply while at work I get ahead of myelf. Looking at the latest Nosler manual, the .375 260gr AB lists a BC of .473--IIRC the .338 250gr AB lists a BC of .575. And flipping back and forth now, both cartridges list practically identical MV with each of the bullets I have listed above. While I haven't checked the drop at range, which I know few people make much of nowadays, but that is the advantage I spoke of to some extent.

Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Are you saying that you also turned your 7mag into a LH 338? Didn't catch the chambering on the rebarrel project.

Sorry (again, typing fast at work). Yes, I rebarreled to a .338 Winchester. Absolutely love it.
I'd vote sell the LH M70 (to me if you are sincere in selling it) and buy a lefty 375 Ruger. The 338 is a proven performer for you, so don't mess with it. I have made that very mistake a few too many times!

Oh, ok. Well that makes a big difference. The .338 bullet may have an advantage in B.C., but it surely doesn't do much for trajectory or anything else out to 400 yards.

Nosler says that the .375 Ruger will start a 260gr AB out about 100fps faster than the .338WM will start a 250gr AB. This further shortens the gap between the two bullets at medium range. In fact, according to Sierra V.6, the .375 AB shoots 1/2" flatter than the .338 at 400 yards.
Huntr-

Think you and I may have swapped rifles before. Think I have a former 30-06 Win 70 LH of yours??

Well, I am no further ahead than when I started.... Both is the best answer.

On the 325 WSM, not a chance. It's about right there with the 270 Win on my favorites list. Plus a LH platform is tough to come by (reasonably).
Huntr-

Think you and I may have swapped rifles before. Think I have a former 30-06 Win 70 LH of yours??

Yep, that is correct! You wouldn't want to sell that one would you? grin
Howdy Jesse! I would have that 7mm mag re-done with new custom barrel (it will shoot great then) in the .338 Win mag caliber. I have hunted the dark continent with a .338mag and friend that brought along his .375H&H. They both killed animals from Dik Dik to Eland and they never went over 25 yards after being hit with either caliber.

I really like the .338mag for shooting out to 350 yards, using a 225 grain Accubond on elk in the open. I feel that 400 yards is pushing the caliber just a bit ok. The .338 with 200 or even 180 grains will shoot (Accubonds) well out to 400 yards but remember that is no cake walk when it comes to bagging big game......lots of things can happen during that 400 yd flight of the bullet.

If your just going to take one gun to hunt in Africa, by all means make it a new .375-Ruger or just wait for the Winchester in a .375 H&H or Ultra Mag perhaps. I turned my .375H&H into a .375-Wby and glad I spent the $75 bucks to have it rechambered. I can now shoot both calibers.

Think I really just need to pull the trigger on the barrel and be done with the decision.

My whole idea was to take the current Win 70 7 mag LH and make it a 338 Win Mag with a 26" tube of my choice, topped with a turret/dot/BC system.

Then make the current Remington 700 LH 338 into a semi lightweight LR 264 Win Mag. That was my original idea.

Sorry for the headaches..

Too many ideas. I originally intended for an African combo and have identical(for the most part) Montana 1999 rifles in 300WSM and the 375 RUM. Same Supergrage McMs, LOP, safety, etc.

Just leave them as is, forget about the Ruger and build the best friend, take everywhere, .338 Win Mag to my specs.
I'm a fan of the .375 for everything.
I'd do the 338. I've never needed more.
Any real advantage for a 338 Ultra Mag?
Can't speak from direct experience, but a good buddy of mine found 338 RUM to be be "too much" from a sporter M700. He's a very experienced rifleman, and has owned numerous other big 'uns. While everyone is different, I do believe him when he says it was pretty vicious.

If it were me, I'd be looking to a Sendero-type rifle, at the minimum, with a 338 RUM. Something heavier, set up to use the extra reach if indeed the shooter was up to it. Just me.

A plain ol' .338 Win Mag on the other hand is quite manageable from a sporter. Mine is scary accurate too, and will carry enough velocity to expand a bullet out past 600 yards. Great, great cartridge in my opinion. A big friendly shove, not sharp recoil.

I would LOVE to shoot a 375 Ruger. Very interesting cartridge.

I would send the 7mm Mag to Mickey Coleman, and have him rebarrel it with a 1:10 twist Shilen #3 in the .338-.375 Campfire.
[Linked Image]

Not my rifle (BUT) M70's look awesome in a brown McMillan!!!!
[Linked Image]
I like the looks of that gun, the bolt's even on the proper side smile
Jeff, have you actually seen that ? Or have you done it ? Seen a 225-250 gr. .338 WM bullet expand reasonably well out past 600 yds. ? Even with Barnes's exagerated BC's they simply aren't moving fast enough from what I've seem.
I'm not questioning their ability to punch a .338 size hole through a critter. But expansion ? E
Jesse, as Frank would have told you, your first idea was the way to go simply put. The .338 caliber is so much more versatile period. You can go go the route of 160 grain bullets up to 300 grainers for various animal situations.

Now with those Ultra mags comes a price and that my friend is Recoil with a capitol R...no joke says Ouch at the shooting bench. The more powder and bigger bullet, the more recoil and that is the doom to downrange accuracy generally speaking.

My .375-Wby shoots around 1.5 inch groups at 110 yards on targets. My .338 Win mag with 225 grain Accubonds, shoots .775 MOA and with 200 grain bullets will shoot .560-MOA. Just something for you to consider before you spend your cash ok.
The reason for the discussion is that the two cartridges are so close in the range of bullets and velocities that they are almost indistingushable, in termes of power,ranging ability,and trajectory,considering the range and size of game available on this continent.

Practically speaking neither one is "needed"on anything on the continent until you get to brown bear,and I'd lean to the 375 if Africa were in my plans;but that has nothing to do with what a guy "wants",and if I planned on spending all my time here,the 338 is a great choice. Oodles of bullets are no big concern because,if he chooses intelligently, a guy could pick one bullet and kill everything from pronghorn antelope to brown bear with just one in each.

Examples? You could load a 250 Swift Aframe in the 375,or a 225 in the 338,and nothing will get away; ditto some form of TSX.Possibilities are endless smile
Hi E,

I shoot the 225 Accubond exclusivley from my .338 (since Noz discontinued the 200 BT, at least). According to my software the bullet is still ~1900 fps at 600 yards. I've not had the balls to set up my chrono out there to see <g>. Anyways, according to Mosler, that's enough for expansion.

You don't hear of Accubonds penciling, so I'm reasonably confidant that it'll expand, if Nosler says it will.

I kind of doubt I'll be killing anything at 600 yards anytime soon. I'm hell on targets at that range, now, but I get pretty amped up if I'm about to kill something big. That doesn't lend itself to the kind of precision you need to shoot that far. But, we'll see. It'll be a game time decision. If I have enough time to get past the initial adrenaline rush, I might be OK.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
Jeff, have you actually seen that ? Or have you done it ? Seen a 225-250 gr. .338 WM bullet expand reasonably well out past 600 yds. ? Even with Barnes's exagerated BC's they simply aren't moving fast enough from what I've seem.
I'm not questioning their ability to punch a .338 size hole through a critter. But expansion ? E
Still tuned in.

I have been using my 375 RUM these past few weeks. I really need to get out my Chrony. I am trying to load it down to have "fun" with it. Still getting sticky bolt lift at times, most of the time. Just the last 1/8th of the cam to unlock the bolt.

In my mind, if I am getting sticky bolt lift, I must be up there in FPS.

There is a big difference in recoil launching a 260 Accubond at 2980 fps and 2670. I am pretty certain I am over 2900 with a 9.0 lb rifle. The book specs on the 375 RUM (depending on which data set-Hodgdon is about 2850, Nosler is almost 3100) vary quite a bit. I cannot fathom hitting 3100 if I am only at 2875ish.

And this is off the bench. Not something I am burning 20 rounds a session in, but 6-10. At times it's tough to focus(at times literally) and not flinch.

Part of the struggle on the choice is the platform of the LH Ruger 375. Looks nice to me, and is probably very functional for it's intended use.

It's tough not to hop in it right now or right away, because with lefties, it's feast or famine. There may be a ton of LH Africans next year just sitting on shelves 'cause no one wants something that big, or.....they may all dry up very quickly.

With the minimal finances, I may only get one good rifle a year. And I will have 3/4 of the cash on hand.

But I think I am coming to terms with reality. I will never get close to what I have in the custom 375 RUM with a bedded McM Supergrage, fluted barrel, all work done by Borden. It would take me getting the right Dr or rich dude to give me $1500 for it, and I would still be taking a decent loss.

Can get the rebarrel project ordered, installed and completed as it is right now. And have cash left over to either put towards a new scope or get M1s and BC installed in older one.

So I think I am getting ready to buy a barrel and go down that road.

I hate being sensible, as it's a true passion. But the 338 just makes sense. I will never do a Brown bear hunt due to cost. I still crave Trigger Time. I would rather burn the $15,000 on doing Africa 2X and filling an ark with neaty-coolies and whack 10-16 critters than just 1.

And the 338 will do everything I need. Will always have the 375 RUM in the stable should I need some extra horsepower.

And in reality, I use Uncle Sam as a savings account and get several thousand back each February (don't counsel me on the ideology of income tax-I cannot save it on my own). And if I still need one that bad 9 months, I will buy one.

I'll keep someone posted. It may be a while til it's all COMPLETELY finished, but I love the factory Win 70 Classic stock, and there are some of those at Numrich. So I may get a 26" tubed 338 with some type of metal coating, and have it bedded in a plain Jane wood stock, but believe me, if I draw a Gila bull tag, it's gonna get used in the next few months.
Can't answer your question about the 375 Ruger at 400 yards, as my longest shot on game with this cartridge has been at 330 yards (a black bear in the open I couldn't close on). The distance I shot doesn't require the B&C as the drop there is ~10" - confirmed by shooting at 300 yds - easily manageable without significant holdover with a plain duplex reticle (mine on this Ruger Alaskan is in a Leupold 1.75-6x32).

Based on my range shooting, the 400 yd shoots are doable with the B&C reticle alone, without need for turrets, but whatever you prefer is your best choice. BTW, the bullet I shoot is the 300 TSX, so a 270 TSX may give you a bit flatter trajectory (although I havent confirmed this up as I don't use it).
"I already have a semi-rare factory LH 700 in 338 Win Mag. Shoots well, and feeds well. Just blued steel, and a 24"tube. Not so neaty-cooly with a McMillan and Cerakote. But it's bedded into a B+C stock and has a 3.5-10X Leupy which could probably go back for the elevation turret. Scope is gloss, so the whole shebang is not so Campfire Cool."

So... Load this one as you see fit, sell all the others, and spend the money on a hunt!
Seriously - other than the really big African stuff - what couldn't you hunt with this one good .338 Model 70?
'Twer it me, I'd decide which action I wanted to build a rifle on. Once that decided, I would sell the others and build on the selected action exactly how I'd want it.

The second option I'd consider would be to sell all three and buy a Ruger 375 with the laminate stock and use the rest for a hunt or a top-end optics set up.

PS- I've hunted everything with my Ruger 338 and other than the weight have no complaints.

Load it down to .375Win. or .38-55 velocities for deer up close.
Load the .375Win bullets fast for a VERY decisive varminter (nasty......).
Load it up to .375H&H/Ruger levels for anything from bear on up.
Originally Posted by GuyM
Seriously - other than the really big African stuff - what couldn't you hunt with this one good .338 Model 70?

Nothing.......but if you go three-six-bits you can do it ALL grin.............the great, the mighty, 375H&H cool
So far(being on only my 2nd H&H) I would say that it is a pretty fun cartridge.
Easy to load for, feeds and extracts very smoothly, and has some cool history behind it.

I like it.
smile
Jesse Jaymes,

The last M700 I bought, a Sendero in 300 WM, had sticky bolt lift and even stuck cases with mild loads. Turned out, there was a burr in the chamber mouth. Just FYI.

I'd be plenty skeered of a full-boat .375 RUM too!
Never shot a 375RUM, but I had a 378Roy for quite a while, that thing would get your attention when you lit it off...
grin
JJ, for a fun load in my 375 rum I shoot 225 hornadys over AA5744. I found a good loads at 57 and 61 grains. You should get around 2700 fps with the 61 gr. load and it is a great medium size game load.
JJ,

You NEED to find one of these......

[Linked Image]

That'll fit the bill me thinks. laugh
Originally Posted by Wrongside
JJ,

You NEED to find one of these......

[Linked Image]

That'll fit the bill me thinks. laugh

Now THAT is a REALLY cool rifle. If they made it right handed I'd get one in a second.
You know, I surf pretty consistantly for LH rifles. I found one of these a while back when they first trickled in. Was a gunbroker gun for, I think, $670. Wasn't sure I wanted that configuration or not.

I REALLY like the matte blued/walnut.

I was worried about which stock was on it, as I have a grey laminated 25-06 in a MKII which is super heavy and kinda club like. I like the Hawkeyes much better.

Shoulda scooped it while it was there.

That recoil pad is pretty intimidating.

I really want to get my 375 RUM over a chrono and see what the real numbers are and how much of a whimp I am...
Jesse just remember if you trip off to Africa, it is nice to be able to find ammo if something gets lost or stolen etc. I am not positive you will find .375-Ruger ammo anyplace but the bigger gunstores in the USA.

This is the one reason I opted to have my .375H&H rechambered for the .375-Wby in the first place. It gave me 150fps more velocity than the .375H&H if I needed such. In the mean time, I can still shoot those .375H&H bullets out of this rifle very accurately. The only thing that happens is those H&H cases become fire formed into .375Wby brass.

I learned a long time ago, shooting a .375 caliber over 2500fps is not necessary on big game animals and it also is punishing to the shoulder once one hits the 2600fps level of velocity. Many of those African PH's say that 2400fps will do just fine 95% of the time with proper bullet using 300 grain bullets.

I have 3 loads for my .375-Wby using 300 grain Woodleigh bullets.

IMR-4350 powder, 77 grains, Velocity is 2470fps. CUP is 48,000.

IMR-4831 powder, 88 grains, Velocity is 2725fps. CUP is 54,000.

RL-22 powder, 90 grains, Velocity is 2660fps. CUP is 51,900.

However, I really like the .338 caliber for big game hunting in the USA and for African plains game. This caliber is also well suited for smaller species too, if one can handle the recoil etc. I have more .338's than anything else in my collection. Also very hard to beat a model 70 Winchester when hunting big game!
JJ,

This one is definitely not a 'club'. Swings and points, for me, like no other rifle I've owned. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet and it's already my 'fav'. I agree with you, though only slightly modified from the MII, the 'Hawkeyes' are a big improvement.

I wanted a handy 'truck' and 'bear' gun as well as a hunt anything, anywhere rifle. This one fills that niche for me at least.

I haven't handled one, but would imagine the 'African' is a pretty handy little rifle as well. Also, I was never a fan of irons on a bolt gun but the iron sights on these things are the best factory open sight I've ever used. You should get one.... laugh

Not that you couldn't just down load your RUM and achieve something similar to the Rugers.

Best of luck with your decision,

David
Jesse Jaymes; I'm voting for the Ruger .375 African. When I first saw and handled one, Mule Deer showed up a few minutes later, I handed him the rifle and told him point blank " If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it with that rifle..."
My opinion has not changed since that day...
In response to some posts, my understanding is that the .375 Ruger has caught on like wildfire in both Alaska and Africa, so any problems getting ammo in those places should clear up soon...
Ingwe
Yea, there was a mention of going H+H, but for me in LH, not really a viable option. At least not easily. At the end of last week I was set to just order the damn .338 barrel and be done with it. Then of course, the Big Flip Flop. I though, "They will be making .338 barrels for A LONG TIME". I can get one in 6 months or 3 years. They will probably NOT make the LH African forever. Plus the possibility of scraping the $290 for the barrel would be much easier than getting all $875 for the LH African in the future.

And with all of the custom and semi custom rifles I have, there is something to be said for a "factory" rifle. They have all the "bugs" worked out of them, or they go back for free. With a built gun, it's back and forth to whoever built it for tweaking and whatever. Lots of shipping and dicking around.

Would be nice to have a fully functioning rifle with no minor headaches or hang ups, that feeds 100% of the time, and functions well.

The 375 RUM currently has a VX-III 2.5-8 with the B+C reticle on it. Would take about 20 minutes to lap the Ruger supplied rings and get a new rifle up and running.....

HMMMM?

I've asked the Missing Ammo question on the Africa forum at least once before. And if it's not 30-06 or 375 HH, then I really do not think it matter what you have for chambering, I doubt you will get extra ammo. Would be a borrowed gun in most cases in my opinion.

.375 RUGER!! Just do it. grin
"One rifle"?!

Blasphemy!
JJ

I recently swapped out my Ruger 338WM for a Ruger 375 Alaskan. It wasn't because I believe the 375 Ruger is soo much more effective than the 338WM, it was because of the handiness of the 375 Ruger in the Alaskan package. Since the first day I handled a 375 Ruger Alaskan, I thought..."Man that just feels right!". Once I researched the cartridge itself and realized that you could easily surpass the 338WM with equal or heavier grain bullets and do it all in the more compact package, I was sold. The difference in handling of the 20" Alaskan as opposed to the 24" 338WM is quiet inviting. I could have gone the 375 H&H route as well, but like i said, it wasn't really about the cartridge,as much as it was about the package. A 375 H&H with a 20" barrel would fall behind ballistically very quickly to the 375 Ruger. I honestly believe that there is no tougher package for where I hunt than the Ruger, it aint purty......but they just always work!
AlaskaCub, have you shot your Ruger .375 over a chrono yet?
No I have not.
Does the .375 Ruger typically deliver the manufacturer's stated speeds, anyone know?

I know, .325 WSM (just to pick on one of the new cartridges I have used) does NOT.
Jeff-

I used to run my Chrono all the time, but got pissed off due to many loads not meeting specs. A valid question.

From the few folks' data I have gone over, it looks like it's able to obtain factory rated specs with handloads, and the factory fodder performs as advertised.

This is based off of Quinn on Gunblast and some data floating around here.
H414 seems to get me the closest to factory specs with 270 grain bullets. I'm running a 24" barrel on my M70 .375 Ruger not the 20" like the Ruger Alaskan. I rebarreled my 7mm Rem Mag to .375 Ruger and love it, you will not be disappointed with it. I haven't killed any big game with it but I'm sure it is up to the task.
I know what you mean by chrono's messing with your head. I rarely set mine up anymore, except to get an average speed for a load that I shoot long range with, so I can punch the numbers into my software...

Those ball powders like H414 (uh... it's a ball powder, yes? It's been a while) sure do make a FIREBALL!
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Those ball powders like H414 (uh... it's a ball powder, yes? It's been a while) sure do make a FIREBALL!

Yep ball powder, would like to use H4350 but my groups have been better with H414. Helps that I bought 8 lbs of it along with 8 lbs of W760 for $180 when I found a store going out of business. H4350 has been scarce around here so I've been using the H414 for the Ruger and saving the other stuff for my cartridges that don't use as much.
I have been fortunate enough to own both and hunt with 338 Win. Mag. (Great rifle). However, now having owned and shot the 375 Ruger for a while (no hunts yet)...I must say I am very impressed. Serious range and accuracy for such a heavy bullet and I find it's recoil less painful (by far) than the 338...big push vs abrupt slam. Just my .02.

Plus 1 for the 375 Ruger. I have the Alaskan model. Very handy rifle. Mine has killed 2 elk. A spike at 110 yds, he did some neat acrobatics mid air when the 270 gr Hornady hit him. The other was at 376 yds, with a leupy 1.5-5. Yes 5x is plenty out to 400 yds. When I bought my rifle I found quite a few of the 270 Hornadys at gun shows, they shot so well I've never tried anything else. I shoot them over RL 15, don't remember the charge off hand, but it wasn't max and I get just a hair over 2600 fps with a 20" barrel. That African model with 3" more barrel would be pretty awesome. Good luck with your choice.
wky the hardon for speed here? any of the loads listed in the calibers mentioned with a bullet featuring a decent BC and an appropriately zeroed scope will get it all done.

and if you have a M70 then why not the H&H and cross reloading component availability off the list?

we americans are so concerned with squeezing every last bit of velocity out of these rounds we forget we can accomplish a lot of the same thing with the scope being zeroed.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yep ball powder, would like to use H4350 but my groups have been better with H414. Helps that I bought 8 lbs of it along with 8 lbs of W760 for $180 when I found a store going out of business. H4350 has been scarce around here so I've been using the H414 for the Ruger and saving the other stuff for my cartridges that don't use as much.

Holy 2009 thread resurrection!!
For the guy who asked the question 4-5 years ago, I chronographed the 270 gr factory ammo in the barrel of a Ruger African and the stuff did about 2840 fps.
A 375 H&H and a 30/06 covers all hunting. Boring but true
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
A 375 H&H and a 30/06 covers all hunting. Boring but true

for big game. ...with a .223, a .22 lr, and 12 gauge you got it all.
Jesse Jaymes,

Some input on the .375 Ruger-

I own and shoot a Ruger Hawkeye African, restocked with a Mcmillan McWoody stock, that I absolutely love. It is topped with a 2.5-8x Leupold VX3 scope.
I handload 270 gr. Barnes TSX bullets for it, ahead of Big Game powder, for 2800 fps MV and excellent accuracy. Sighted in 2" high at 100, it prints dead on at 200 yards.
A year ago I took a big Asian water buffalo with it, a job this rifle handled to perfection- no surprise.
What I really like about this rifle is its manageable recoil, relatively light weight, and great balance. In December, it goes along with me to South Texas for Nilgai.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger to anyone looking for a great medium-bore.
Sounds like JUST the rifle that a serious guy with a limited budget SHOULD buy and use. The ballistics are about as close to "perfect" as any possible to develop in a rifle that will really "do it all" and, IF, more folks BUY .375 Rugers, that superb cartridge will become, as it should, a mainstay of the hunting world.

I would LOVE one, built, first, by choice, on a Brno ZG-47 action, 4+1 mag. box, suspect Echol's rig for Mauser 98s will work fine here AND give the svelte silhouette that a regular 3+1 rifle has, so important for "one hand carry" and with a good, STS, cut-rifled tube to 23". Add Recknagels, two sets Talley QDs, Micky handle and a pair of Leupy 1.75x6 MHDs and some serious bench/range time and, in "Campfire" speak, "go fill an Ark!" smile
You got a 375 rum right? You're done.
So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?

I guess there seems to be much more a want than a need as I have both choices doubled in already having a serviceable, but plain 338, and a hot rod Long Range 375.

So I did not answer my own question. Torn over the look and feel of the African, vs my All Time favorite round in the 338 Win Mag.

Having the hots for a .375 Ruger myself, I'm not one to try and talk you out of one.

The .338 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge and, like you, I like the 225g AccuBond. With a BDC reticle I can shoot it well out to 600 yards. There is nothing I hunt that the .338WM can't handle so, also like you, the .375 Ruger is much more a want than a need. I look at it like I do my .45-70 - capable of handing any game that walks, capable of being downloaded and the Alaskan .375 Ruger I had an opportunity to shoot had manageable recoil - in short a rifle capable of being a gentle thumper of a heavy stomper.

Nothing wrong with satisfying "wants" as well as "needs". I say "Go for it!"
I nabbed one of these in 375 Ruger from a great member here. I am loving the little rifle! laugh

I've had two Ruger Africans and an Alaskan in 375R. They were all great for the price. This little gun for 3/5 what I paid for the Rugers is accurate and reliable so far. I topped it with a Leupold 4X32 with Weaver bases and some unbranded QR rings.

With factory 270gr Hornadys and the AccuTrigger I get 1.25-1.5 MOA from the 20" barreled gun. That'll do for what I need this gun to do.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/116ALASKANBRUSHHUNTER

I am a lefty too and have taken eleven bulls and a few cows, and caribou, mostly with a 340 W but also with a smattering of others including a 45 Colt. I have liked "big" rifles for elk but have grown somewhat weary of carrying them at the same time.

That said, I have a 375 R in the African, tuned up and in a McMillan; with the 260's, you and your optics, not the rifle or cartridge, are the limiting factor to 1000 yds, not to mention 400, assuming the barrel is half way straight.

Do you need it? No. But if you like bigger cartridges and can shoot them, you'll like what they can do. IMHO, the Barnes 250-gr TTSX and the Nosler 260-gr Accubond make the 375 (any iteration) an excellent big, NA, big game cartridge.
Never seen a 375 H&H that was incapable at 400 yards with nothing more than the right loads and a Duplex reticle....so, only having owned one 375 Ruger, I would guess that 400 yards should be a sneeze with toorits or something like that. smile
375 Chatfield /Taylor?
Originally Posted by raybass
375 Chatfield /Taylor?

Sure....about the same thing.
20" Ruger 375 LH with 300 gr NP 2585 FPS with H 4350

20 " Ruger 375 270 GR TSX 2725 FPS with RS Big Game

Sold a LH Rem 700 375 H&H and a LH Win 70 375 H&H and much prefer
the Ruger. Installed in a LH Mcmillion and it fit great with no mods.

Bob, there is no doubt in my mind, especially with the Nosler, 260-gr Accubond and the Barnes 250-gr TTSX. In fact with either at ~ 2900+ and a + 3" at a hundred, you'd need no turrets for 400 at the size of game usually sought. But, yep, they'd help. In fact, it's my exact platform for an all-around, "big gun" for NA.
George....I agree. Hammer! grin
In the 4 years or whatever since I posted this;

The custom 375 RUM went down the road for about half what I had into it.

I grabbed one of the " limited run" lefty stainless Rugers in 375 Ruger. Paid $619. A far cry from the $1200+ everyone was holding out for.

Also grabbed a little .338 RCM in LH

The .338 Winchester in Model 70 is still the gun that I would love to love the most. I think I've nailed down an accurate load with a 210 TTSX. Not what I'd prefer but no flies on it.

The .338 RCM gets grabbed the most by far. It simply seems lighter than it is. Topped with a 2.5-8 Leupy w B&C reticle I feel I can lob 185 TSXs into a kill so e to 300 yards.

Holy thread resurrection is right.
© 24hourcampfire