Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Being broke and a gun nut, my mind is wandering. With cash now burning a hole in the pocket, I am wavering even more. This may turn out to be me answering my own question at the end, but wanted public ideas.

I will put this in caps, as most skim and respond without really knowing the original question. I SHOOT LEFT HANDED.

1. I have a Winchester 70 Classic LH in 7 Mag that doesn't shoot like I want it to. Was really set on getting a nice barrel and having it rebarreled to 338 Win Mag. Topping it with a Leupy with an elevation turret and being ready to tackle about anything in NA and my African plains game trip. BCs on the 225 Accubond are stellar. Thought this would weigh in around 8.5 or so when finished. Most of this was over the glass smooth action of the 70 and the CRF.

BUT, I already have a semi-rare factory LH 700 in 338 Win Mag. Shoots well, and feeds well. Just blued steel, and a 24"tube. Not so neaty-cooly with a McMillan and Cerakote. But it's bedded into a B+C stock and has a 3.5-10X Leupy which could probably go back for the elevation turret. Scope is gloss, so the whole shebang is not so Campfire Cool.

2.Grab a nice, new Ruger African in .375Ruger. Get another LH CRF, 3 position safety, back up irons, which for some reason seem like a plus rather than a negative now, as I am usually very anti open sights on the ADL type rifles. Load up some non punishing 260 Accubonds, which also do not have a terrible BC, and do the same thing?

Fly in this ointment is that I have a custom 375 Ultra Mag. It is manageable, but is not breaked, and you need to pay attention when shooting it.

I know most will poo-poo the need for such large rounds, but it's just my personal taste or beliefs. Not a fan of the 243s for deer. Never ever warmed up to the 270 for anything, though I am trying to find new love for a 270WSM in a Tikka I never really wrung out.

So I am fan of +.30 calibers, though I have never shot an elk. Hoping to finally draw, and if so, I have a guided hunt waiting for me in 16B of the Gila. Better than average chance of a bull of a lifetime.

And finally, most also say that there are not many opportunities for shots over 300 yards. I beg to differ. Though most have been at mule deer, I can think of no shots I have taken here out West in NM, ID, or WA that were under 160 yards, save one Blacktail spike at 20 yards with a 45-70.

Even the bear I took in WA was above timberline with no way to close the distance before dark.....402 yards.

So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?

I guess there seems to be much more a want than a need as I have both choices doubled in already having a serviceable, but plain 338, and a hot rod Long Range 375.

So I did not answer my own question. Torn over the look and feel of the African, vs my All Time favorite round in the 338 Win Mag.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?"

I think that was the real question there?

Given the ballistics of the round and your limitation of 400 yards I would think it would be just dandy with a B&C reticle, and thus would do what you need. I've run a B&C across a number of cartridges and loads, and what you are describing should work out to MORE than 400 yards FWIW.

More importantly, it would do what you WANT- which is to buy a new rifle <g>.

Please report back if/when you try this. Sounds like a nice rig. AlaskaCub just got one, you might PM him.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, I know. Surf here daily and more and more are getting me horned up over the 375. And like you, I usually run all the numbers vs the B+C. Some are hit and miss even though it's supposed to be serviceable for a wide range of calibers. Seems AC was hot on his .338 and now singing a different tune with the addition of the Ruger. Granted he will have a more appropriate use in his neck, but I don't think it's terribly overgunned for elk, bears, possible relocation to MT in Grizz country, or Kudu or Gemsbok either.

Also email Dick Davis of McM. He did state that the Hawkeyes and newer Rugers will fit the MKII 77 stocks. I know it's been discussed here prior, but again, being a lefty, I want to make sure everything will work before pulling the trigger on the whole thing.

Guessing in a pinch or other I could dump the 700 .338, the M1999 .375 Ultra and have a decent all around rifle in the .375 Ruger with a B+C, correct?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the .338, dump the .375UM, get the .375 Ruger.

That would be my game plan.

Or just keep what you've got and add the Ruger laugh

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think that your Africa Plains Game hunt is going to be your decision maker. If it weren't for that, I would say build the .338 Win of your dreams. That is what I did. I too had a LH M70 in 7mm RM that I was not impressed with. Sent it to IT&D for a rebarrel and ordered a new stock from Bansner's. Bedded it with a Williams 1pc BM and threw on a Leupold 2.5-8x36 in LW Talley's and I am absolutely tickled with how it performs. The goal was to have a medium/medium-light, do-anything-in-North-America rifle....and I feel I pulled it off. If you are considering smaller game as well (such as deer), I feel you will be better served with the .338. Not only for the better ballistic advantage but the ability to load lighter loads to match the game at hand. No need in using 260gr loads in an H&H for a blacktail when a 180gr Accubond or 185gr TSX is available for the .338.

Since I don't have any experience with the Dark Continent, I don't feel I should give you advice on the game there. I hear that people recommend the H&H even if you are only after plains game in the event you come across an angry lion or the like. I don't know how I would feel with a .338 in my hands in such a situation.

I think the best way to look at what to do is first establish the most primary purpose of the rifle and go from there.

At least that is my .02 cents

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
...Not only for the better ballistic advantage but the ability to load lighter loads to match the game at hand. No need in using 260gr loads in an H&H for a blacktail when a 180gr Accubond or 185gr TSX is available for the .338.

What ballistic advantage would that be?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
War Eagle-

Are you saying that you also turned your 7mag into a LH 338? Didn't catch the chambering on the rebarrel project.

As far as African Plains game, though I have not been there yet, most recommend the 30-06...so I would not feel undergunned at all with a .338 and 225 Accubonds or a TSX thrown in the mix depending on the rifles' likes or dislikes .

And yes, if I do go the route of the rebarrel, it will be(hopefully) my darling, everyday, everyhunt rifle. It will be toted for deer.

Having taken 2 bears in the last few years, I love getting out for spring bears and enjoying glassing the slopes after a long winter. Be it with a backpack or out of the vehicle for day hunts. So primary function would be bears, deer and elk.

Again, for some reason, I just love the .338 cartridge.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
JJ,

I sure like my Ruger Hawkeye African, and I sent the other .375s down the road. I like the 270 gr bullets for North American hunting, and the rifle and load work well with the B&C reticle. I have been using one in a VXIII 3.5-10X40 and recently got a VX3 2.5-8X36. I have also used two of the Swaro reticles on the .375 Ruger.

My wife is a lefty, so I pay attention to such issues.

good hunting...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me I would sell your 7mm RM that you don't quite like and sell the 375 Ultra Mag too. Keep your 338 since you love the round and get the 375 Ruger. I looked hard at the 375 Ruger before commiting to buy one, had grizzly mostly in mind but wanted it to be versatile too. Looking at ballistic tables it will work well with a bullet like the 260 Accubond to take a 400 yard + shot on a moose if I am up to the task. Look forward to working with the round in the months ahead.

Gerry.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fun problems to have uh?????

Have you thought of putting a brake on the custom 375 RUM? Do you have an extra long barrel on it, like a 28" or longer? If that rifle is not now easily do-able for field use or not reasonably easy to carry around, why not just keep that one, shorten the tube down a little (if over 26") and put a brake on it as well?

I own a 375 Ruger Alaskan myself. It`s a truly wonderful cartridge. If you didn`t already have the RUM, I`d say get the African. But the RUM can be loaded down to lower levels and with a brake, you just may be pleasantly surprised.

Keep the 338 and modify your 375 RUM if possible. That should save quite a few bucks!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think the .375 Ruger is a neat cartridge. One thing I find annoying for it though is the cost and availability of brass. I don't know if that's an issue for you or not, but thought I'd throw it out there. Another option over the .338 win mag is the .358 Norma using .300 Win mag brass. Something to consider.

Last edited by Gringo Loco; 04/27/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you considered a 325 WSM?
I have really taken a liking to mine and think it may be a great option for any medium to the largest game in North America as well as plains game in Africa.

P.S. I know it wasn't one of your initial options and I apologize for not sticking to your request, but I could help but share my positive opinion about the 325 shorty.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What ballistic advantage would that be?

I was referring to ballistic coefficient. Sorry. Sometimes trying to reply while at work I get ahead of myelf. Looking at the latest Nosler manual, the .375 260gr AB lists a BC of .473--IIRC the .338 250gr AB lists a BC of .575. And flipping back and forth now, both cartridges list practically identical MV with each of the bullets I have listed above. While I haven't checked the drop at range, which I know few people make much of nowadays, but that is the advantage I spoke of to some extent.

Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Are you saying that you also turned your 7mag into a LH 338? Didn't catch the chambering on the rebarrel project.

Sorry (again, typing fast at work). Yes, I rebarreled to a .338 Winchester. Absolutely love it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd vote sell the LH M70 (to me if you are sincere in selling it) and buy a lefty 375 Ruger. The 338 is a proven performer for you, so don't mess with it. I have made that very mistake a few too many times!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, ok. Well that makes a big difference. The .338 bullet may have an advantage in B.C., but it surely doesn't do much for trajectory or anything else out to 400 yards.

Nosler says that the .375 Ruger will start a 260gr AB out about 100fps faster than the .338WM will start a 250gr AB. This further shortens the gap between the two bullets at medium range. In fact, according to Sierra V.6, the .375 AB shoots 1/2" flatter than the .338 at 400 yards.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Huntr-

Think you and I may have swapped rifles before. Think I have a former 30-06 Win 70 LH of yours??

Well, I am no further ahead than when I started.... Both is the best answer.

On the 325 WSM, not a chance. It's about right there with the 270 Win on my favorites list. Plus a LH platform is tough to come by (reasonably).

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Huntr-

Think you and I may have swapped rifles before. Think I have a former 30-06 Win 70 LH of yours??

Yep, that is correct! You wouldn't want to sell that one would you? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Howdy Jesse! I would have that 7mm mag re-done with new custom barrel (it will shoot great then) in the .338 Win mag caliber. I have hunted the dark continent with a .338mag and friend that brought along his .375H&H. They both killed animals from Dik Dik to Eland and they never went over 25 yards after being hit with either caliber.

I really like the .338mag for shooting out to 350 yards, using a 225 grain Accubond on elk in the open. I feel that 400 yards is pushing the caliber just a bit ok. The .338 with 200 or even 180 grains will shoot (Accubonds) well out to 400 yards but remember that is no cake walk when it comes to bagging big game......lots of things can happen during that 400 yd flight of the bullet.

If your just going to take one gun to hunt in Africa, by all means make it a new .375-Ruger or just wait for the Winchester in a .375 H&H or Ultra Mag perhaps. I turned my .375H&H into a .375-Wby and glad I spent the $75 bucks to have it rechambered. I can now shoot both calibers.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Think I really just need to pull the trigger on the barrel and be done with the decision.

My whole idea was to take the current Win 70 7 mag LH and make it a 338 Win Mag with a 26" tube of my choice, topped with a turret/dot/BC system.

Then make the current Remington 700 LH 338 into a semi lightweight LR 264 Win Mag. That was my original idea.

Sorry for the headaches..

Too many ideas. I originally intended for an African combo and have identical(for the most part) Montana 1999 rifles in 300WSM and the 375 RUM. Same Supergrage McMs, LOP, safety, etc.

Just leave them as is, forget about the Ruger and build the best friend, take everywhere, .338 Win Mag to my specs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a fan of the .375 for everything.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.