Home
Posted By: MasterBlaster Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
Would appreciate any reviews on these coolers from anybody that uses one. I need to be able to keep deer meat on ice for 3 to 5 days at a time in temperate N. Florida/S. Georgia weather and was wondering how well these things keep ice.
Lord knows they ain't cheap. Thanks.
Posted By: GregW Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
There's lots of ice chests that can do that for way less money FWIW. Ice insulates itself....
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
MasterBlaster,

I hear ya on expensive! I've never been able to stomach the cost of Yetis, but everyone I know that's used em, loved em. I've been quite pleased with Igloo Max coolers and been running them for years. They keep ice for the time you speak of, but they're not Yeti by any means.

In case you haven't heard of them, check out Ice Kool as well. Yeti type coolers at much more affordable prices:

http://icekool.net/

loder
Posted By: logcutter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
Dry ice/newspaper and a good cooler, much cheaper than the Yetti, get's 'er done.I like Coleman Extreme.

3-5 days is a peace of cake with a good cooler and dry ice,even Ice blocks in an Extreme type cooler.

Jayco
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
They're the best cooler going, period. My uncle has a few and I've borrowed them occasionally. I plan to buy one soon. It will do exactly what you want.

The hinges and fasteners also last a lot longer than most coolers'. I'll use mine for antelope hunting in warm weather.
In the old days our coolers(out in the hills) were all topped with burlap sacks with cold water dripping on them keeping them wet..Kinda like how a swamp cooler works..Never ever lost meat in one of the old style coolers.

3-5 days isn't much if done right.

These are cheap coolers(kept cool) that served there purpose in warm weather.

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Posted By: BigFin Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
I have five of them. They work as advertised. Yeah, they are expensive, but bomb proof and keep things frozen/cold longer than any other cooler. I have a shop full of the others. If you need it and can justify the cost and added life, it is the way to go.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
I've noticed if the lid isn't opened often it will keep ice for a week or more at moderate temperatures. If you are digging in the thing constantly, don't waste your money.
I am not trying to talk you out of Yetti coolers,just giving other options I have used and seen for what you want.

The large Yetti Coolers(120-155 quart) run from like $450 to almost $600 bucks.

Another option if you have the room hunting..A small freezer like a 5 cubic foot or maybe 7,for less than $200 at Walmart and year around use to boot.Coupled with an inexpensive generator that that will run it for under $200 with year around use also, and a temp gauge..

And your set but with year around use instead of just hunting season.

Just a thought and something I do in 90 degree temps hunting.

Jayco
Posted By: ronc Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
The trick is to get the cooler cold first before adding your meat, works great.
Posted By: davidlea Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/20/11
My friend has one-has to open it with a screwdriver (gets vacum locked) so I guess that's the grizzly proof part-never seen a bear carrying a screwgie.. does not keep ice longer than an Igloo max.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
Yetti buyers make believe they're satisfied. Otherwise they'd feel ripped off.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
Bummer! All this time I've been feeling satisfied, only to find out I've been ripped-off. The horror!
Glad to help.
Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I won a 65 quart Yeti cooler at a DU banquet. I had been wanting to purchase one for awhile, but never could justify the cost. Now I understand why so many folks rave about them. They really are built well. I plan on buying one of their smaller "roadie" coolers in the next month or two.

I'm not make believing anything. I've had 8 whitetails in mine in the last 6 weeks and it held ice better than my fathers Igloo max. It's also a lot more sturdy and less likely to have the drain plug accidentally open. I'm not sure if its worth 5x the money, but some folks aren't as concerned with others belongings as the internet experts.
Don't get your panties in a knot. It was a joke.

I don't care if you wrap your deer in grandmas blanket.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I'll be getting a smaller yeti one of these years for hunting applications.

I use a large yeti on my charter boat, all summer. Good stuff.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I have not been able to make myself purchase a Yeti. A partner has one, and for float trips finds it a bit heavy. Fine for truck camping though. My largest Igloo's can keep ice for up to 12 days in 80 to 90 degree weather and still have about 20% left.
1. Keep them shaded if possible
2. Perhaps a damp towel over each for evaporative cooling
3. Shoot the first person that uses ones cooler as a seat - sprung lids and seals let warm air in
4. Blocks will keep much longer than cubed or crushed, and
5. Put ones ice in a chest freezer at home and take it down to 35 or 40 below before packing
Posted By: lochsa Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I have a yeti that I use for work and it does great. They are heavy and expensive but keep ice longer than any other.

There are ways to help keep ice longer in conventional coolers. Freeze/cool before using. Use block ice rather than crushed. Add dry ice with lots of newspaper on top. Keep the cooler in the shade at all times and keep the lid closed.

Three to five days should be no problem with any cooler. I use the Yeti on eight day trips in 80-100 degree temps.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have not been able to make myself purchase a Yeti. A partner has one, and for float trips finds it a bit heavy. Fine for truck camping though. My largest Igloo's can keep ice for up to 12 days in 80 to 90 degree weather and still have about 20% left.
1. Keep them shaded if possible
2. Perhaps a damp towel over each for evaporative cooling
3. Shoot the first person that uses ones cooler as a seat - sprung lids and seals let warm air in
4. Blocks will keep much longer than cubed or crushed, and
5. Put ones ice in a chest freezer at home and take it down to 35 or 40 below before packing

All of you suggestions are good. I haven't used the damp towel but I have put plenty of blankets on my to keep it insulated also.
Posted By: kawi Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
Wow magen that. Yup just summed er up!
Have you seen a Yeti gal? Are the Hot??
Have you seen a Yeti gal? Are they Hot??
Have you seen a Yeti gal? Are they Hot??
Sorry all it got away on me oops.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
3 times hotter than most.
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I can't justify the cost of a Yeti cooler for my uses so I make do with a Coleman Extreme and an old Coleman gray metal cooler from the 60's.

I did find that by taking one of the cheap tin foil type survival blankets they sell at Wally World for a couple of bucks and lining the cooler with it,adding the ice and contents and folding the excess over the top before shutting the lid really extended the length of time it held ice and cold.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/21/11
I've seen someone build a wooden box, and line it with blue styrofoam sheets, then you set the normal cooler inside that box. Claimed it worked really well, and it seems like it would. I am probably going to build one of those myself, rather than spring for a yeti.

Those Ice-kools have me interested though.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/22/11
I like my 75 quart Yeti very much, though it was a gift. I could never get myself to drop the dime on one.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
I have bought 3 of them. I still have two- one was a gift. I have 11 more on order. I have a garage full of broken Colemans and Igloos. The Yetis are pretty bomb-proof. They keep ice a LOT longer than the cheap ones do, all things being equal. If you just can't get a Yeti, you need to find the thickest lid you can on a regular ice chest and fill the lid with foam (the yellow stuff is best) from a can. 95% of ice chests have NO insulation in the lids. The seal is so good that often I have to crack the drain open to break the vacuum.

You can wrap the cheap ones in towels, mylar sheets and foil bubble wrap but you can't make the hinges hold up to the real world. This is where the Yeti is at its best.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've seen someone build a wooden box, and line it with blue styrofoam sheets, then you set the normal cooler inside that box. Claimed it worked really well, and it seems like it would. I am probably going to build one of those myself, rather than spring for a yeti.

Those Ice-kools have me interested though.

I'm not so much wanting a yeti for the ability to hold ice, but that is a bonus. I'm sick of lids coming off coolers, the insides of coolers cracking, handles breaking, etc. I bet if I added up how much I've spent on cheaper coolers, I'd be well within Yeti territory.
Posted By: Tx Trapper Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Here's another alternitve..............

http://www.bruteoutdoors.com/
Posted By: duckcall Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Somewhere I read a review that rated Engel coolers way ahead of the yeti. Anyone used them? http://www.engel-usa.com/
Posted By: 1minute Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Before a new cooler ever goes to the field, I hit the hardware store and purchase metal hinge that spans the full length of the cooler. Plastic and rubber hinges don't do well in 20 below temps. I do not tolerate failure.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Another favorite is when the cheap snaps that holds the lid tight break off.
Before a new cooler ever goes to the field, I hit the hardware store and purchase metal hinge that spans the full length of the cooler. Plastic and rubber hinges don't do well in 20 below temps. I do not tolerate failure.

How do you attach the piano hinges? I have used them for repairs but the screws pull out in our AZ heat...

There are apparently some other good coolers out there but anything with the name Coleman, Igloo or Gott is not one of them. Someone needs to step up and give yeti some competition.
Originally Posted by duckcall
Somewhere I read a review that rated Engel coolers way ahead of the yeti. Anyone used them? http://www.engel-usa.com/

They look similar to the Yetis and they are double the price of the Yetis. Ouch!!
Posted By: johnw Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
there have been several reviews of coolers such as the yeti...

the yeti is built better, but keeps stuff cool no better than the better grade igloos...

engel makes coolers built even better than yeti, and their ice keeping performance is better as well... they are priced accordingly...
Posted By: Tony Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
My Igloo with dry ice, newspaper and duct taped lid as never let me down over many days including hot summer ones. There is no question the Yedi is a fine piece, I just can't see what more I need given what mine already does.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

How do you attach the piano hinges? I have used them for repairs but the screws pull out in our AZ heat...

There are apparently some other good coolers out there but anything with the name Coleman, Igloo or Gott is not one of them. Someone needs to step up and give yeti some competition.

Use leather for the "hinge".
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
use a pc of 1/8 thick uhmw plastic for hinges ,the hinges will out last the cooler by 100yrs or so.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/23/11
i don't think you can beat a regular old cheap foam cooler for keeping things cold.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
With the hinges I use, one can put 15 or 20 screws in the lid and tank. Never had them pull out. If that was an issue, I'd go with screws about 1/8 inch longer than the thickness of the cooler and install a washer and nut on the inside.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
I would have never tried one if we didn't use them for work. Our guys would tear the Coleman/Igloo coolers up in a couple of months. So far these have lasted 4 or 5 times that long and are still going. We have one idiot that can tear anything up. He ripped the hinges off his, but that's an easy fix. I've had several now and really think they are about the best you can buy. The only real con I see about them is they are damn heavy, but that's the reason they're so tough.
Posted By: ykrvak Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
I really didn't want to drop the money on a yeti until I thought of how many $80 coolers I have here at the lodge with broken hinges and lids. The Yeti's have been bombproof. In the long run, if you plan on using them a lot they are cheaper. I'm very happy with them. YMMV
Posted By: tx270 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
I finally broke down and bought one a few months ago, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Like others said, its not only about the long ice life. They are built about 50 times better than any other cooler I've ever owned, and I've owned a BUNCH, including the best igloo and coleman make.

This one stays in the bed of my truck, back when it was 100+ deg. every day I was still only putting ice in it about every 3 days. and that was with multiple openings every day for water, sodas, or "adult beverage".

Bill
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
Buy Texas! Yeti's are made in TX. I don't have one yet, but hope to save enough to spring for one soon.

I agree on the other coolers, whether cheap or not, breaking and it's a pain in the azz.
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
Thanks for the feedback guy's. Girlfriend bought me two tan 120's for Christmas.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/24/11
I don't need a cooler when I hunt. I need a heater.
Posted By: tbear Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/25/11
I fish with a friend that purchased a huge Igloo salt water cooler & did just this to keep fish. It is heavy but it keeps it in the back of a truck with a camper top. He moves the cooler only from his boat to the truck & from the truck to his house. With blocks of ice it will keep fish frozen for at least a week.
Posted By: mossbergman Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/26/11
i have not read all the responses.

during the summer months costco sells IGLOO 165Ct coolers for $89 me and my buddy purchased two and love them. they have the main lid, small lid in the middle(beer lid), and drain cap on the side that will attach to a garden hose. the only down side, damn they can get heavy and if your a short person (5'5ish) you cant reach both handles.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/27/11
MB, that's a serious girlfriend!
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/27/11
Yep, and she's hunting fanatic to boot!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/30/11
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Yep, and she's hunting fanatic to boot!

Lucky Bastid!

Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/30/11
Yeti coolers? I thought that was a party drink for Bigfoot! Lol!

Ron
Posted By: NathanL Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/31/11
I have one. Me and my dad went in on it to keep ice and fish on the boat. Works great, after 3 days there's barely any water in the bottom and it makes a great seat as well with the added seat cushion which is handy on the boat as well. Most of my hunting since we bought it has been close enough to home I haven't really used it in that capacity as of yet.

I've noticed at the marina when loading up the boat they are pretty popular.
Posted By: kawi Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/31/11
MB doe's she have a sister with no tast or morles?
Posted By: logcutter Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/31/11
$500+ for for any cooler is insane...

Ever heard of dry ice?

Jayco
Posted By: muygrande1 Re: Yeti coolers? - 12/31/11
Finally had to break down and just 'do it"! Down in S. Texas you best go ahead and buy the lock as well because our friends really do love "liftin" them from the back of your truck!
Posted By: ColoradoWalt Re: Yeti coolers? - 01/05/12
Have a yeti that doubles as a casting platform on the front of the boat. Two years and counting, don't think you could do that with a coleman or igloo. And it keeps lunch cool to boot in the Florida heat.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Yeti coolers? - 01/05/12
I have a couple of 120-150qt Igloos. They work fine for me. What's funny is that WallyWorld used to sell the 2-3" huge styrafoam box cooler's.

We did a fishing trip for a week each year. Six guys, three boats, lots of beer. We would start a month before leaving and fill those coolers with ice from the work ice machines. We would tape them shut with duct tape and store in a walk in freezer until ready to leave. They would keep ice for a week.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Yeti coolers? - 01/08/12
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Yep, leather works a charm. On one of mine I used some alligator I had lying around on. I think I left it with a member in TX, though... wink

Use leather for the "hinge".
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Yeti coolers? - 01/08/12
7 pages for a cooler? You guys are funny.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Yeti coolers? - 01/30/12
Just received my Yeti tan 65 quart cooler. About 1/2 retail price or I wouldn't have spent the cash for it. Built seriously tough but heavy though.

Bob
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Yeti coolers? - 02/04/12
Originally Posted by johnw
there have been several reviews of coolers such as the yeti...

the yeti is built better, but keeps stuff cool no better than the better grade igloos...

engel makes coolers built even better than yeti, and their ice keeping performance is better as well... they are priced accordingly...

------------------------------------------------------

I saw a test online by some guys that took yeti and some other top end coolers -plus igloo exteme coleman extreme -placed same amount of ice in them open and marked amount of melted ice daily in each cooler -yetis might be tough but they sure don't work any better per what i saw in that review.
© 24hourcampfire