Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Would appreciate any reviews on these coolers from anybody that uses one. I need to be able to keep deer meat on ice for 3 to 5 days at a time in temperate N. Florida/S. Georgia weather and was wondering how well these things keep ice.
Lord knows they ain't cheap. Thanks.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's lots of ice chests that can do that for way less money FWIW. Ice insulates itself....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MasterBlaster,

I hear ya on expensive! I've never been able to stomach the cost of Yetis, but everyone I know that's used em, loved em. I've been quite pleased with Igloo Max coolers and been running them for years. They keep ice for the time you speak of, but they're not Yeti by any means.

In case you haven't heard of them, check out Ice Kool as well. Yeti type coolers at much more affordable prices:

http://icekool.net/

loder

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dry ice/newspaper and a good cooler, much cheaper than the Yetti, get's 'er done.I like Coleman Extreme.

3-5 days is a peace of cake with a good cooler and dry ice,even Ice blocks in an Extreme type cooler.

Jayco

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They're the best cooler going, period. My uncle has a few and I've borrowed them occasionally. I plan to buy one soon. It will do exactly what you want.

The hinges and fasteners also last a lot longer than most coolers'. I'll use mine for antelope hunting in warm weather.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In the old days our coolers(out in the hills) were all topped with burlap sacks with cold water dripping on them keeping them wet..Kinda like how a swamp cooler works..Never ever lost meat in one of the old style coolers.

3-5 days isn't much if done right.

These are cheap coolers(kept cool) that served there purpose in warm weather.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have five of them. They work as advertised. Yeah, they are expensive, but bomb proof and keep things frozen/cold longer than any other cooler. I have a shop full of the others. If you need it and can justify the cost and added life, it is the way to go.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've noticed if the lid isn't opened often it will keep ice for a week or more at moderate temperatures. If you are digging in the thing constantly, don't waste your money.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am not trying to talk you out of Yetti coolers,just giving other options I have used and seen for what you want.

The large Yetti Coolers(120-155 quart) run from like $450 to almost $600 bucks.

Another option if you have the room hunting..A small freezer like a 5 cubic foot or maybe 7,for less than $200 at Walmart and year around use to boot.Coupled with an inexpensive generator that that will run it for under $200 with year around use also, and a temp gauge..

And your set but with year around use instead of just hunting season.

Just a thought and something I do in 90 degree temps hunting.

Jayco

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The trick is to get the cooler cold first before adding your meat, works great.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My friend has one-has to open it with a screwdriver (gets vacum locked) so I guess that's the grizzly proof part-never seen a bear carrying a screwgie.. does not keep ice longer than an Igloo max.

Golden............
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yetti buyers make believe they're satisfied. Otherwise they'd feel ripped off.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bummer! All this time I've been feeling satisfied, only to find out I've been ripped-off. The horror!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Glad to help.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won a 65 quart Yeti cooler at a DU banquet. I had been wanting to purchase one for awhile, but never could justify the cost. Now I understand why so many folks rave about them. They really are built well. I plan on buying one of their smaller "roadie" coolers in the next month or two.

I'm not make believing anything. I've had 8 whitetails in mine in the last 6 weeks and it held ice better than my fathers Igloo max. It's also a lot more sturdy and less likely to have the drain plug accidentally open. I'm not sure if its worth 5x the money, but some folks aren't as concerned with others belongings as the internet experts.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't get your panties in a knot. It was a joke.

I don't care if you wrap your deer in grandmas blanket.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll be getting a smaller yeti one of these years for hunting applications.

I use a large yeti on my charter boat, all summer. Good stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have not been able to make myself purchase a Yeti. A partner has one, and for float trips finds it a bit heavy. Fine for truck camping though. My largest Igloo's can keep ice for up to 12 days in 80 to 90 degree weather and still have about 20% left.
1. Keep them shaded if possible
2. Perhaps a damp towel over each for evaporative cooling
3. Shoot the first person that uses ones cooler as a seat - sprung lids and seals let warm air in
4. Blocks will keep much longer than cubed or crushed, and
5. Put ones ice in a chest freezer at home and take it down to 35 or 40 below before packing

Last edited by 1minute; 12/20/11.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have a yeti that I use for work and it does great. They are heavy and expensive but keep ice longer than any other.

There are ways to help keep ice longer in conventional coolers. Freeze/cool before using. Use block ice rather than crushed. Add dry ice with lots of newspaper on top. Keep the cooler in the shade at all times and keep the lid closed.

Three to five days should be no problem with any cooler. I use the Yeti on eight day trips in 80-100 degree temps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have not been able to make myself purchase a Yeti. A partner has one, and for float trips finds it a bit heavy. Fine for truck camping though. My largest Igloo's can keep ice for up to 12 days in 80 to 90 degree weather and still have about 20% left.
1. Keep them shaded if possible
2. Perhaps a damp towel over each for evaporative cooling
3. Shoot the first person that uses ones cooler as a seat - sprung lids and seals let warm air in
4. Blocks will keep much longer than cubed or crushed, and
5. Put ones ice in a chest freezer at home and take it down to 35 or 40 below before packing

All of you suggestions are good. I haven't used the damp towel but I have put plenty of blankets on my to keep it insulated also.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,644
Posts18,512,507
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.