Home
This likely will stir up the animal rights types.

As I understand it, the park was never natural habitat to wolves and the idea of stocking them there almost guaranteed that they would spread out to prey on livestock. Am I wrong?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/s...led-outside-yellowstone.html?hp&_r=0
I love a feel good story.

The only thing I might not like is the collar wasn't thrown into the river.. smirk
Haha! Darn, I was planning on wading through all of the tourists to go look at that wolf one day.
I'd love to whack one by the 320 ranch and then ask some tourists to help me load it into the truck.
Wonder what bullet? grin...
Originally Posted by Anjin

As I understand it, the park was never natural habitat to wolves and the idea of stocking them there almost guaranteed that they would spread out to prey on livestock. Am I wrong?

I don't know about that, but putting a four-legged creature down anywhere pretty much guarantees they will spread out once their population reaches carrying capacity for the habitat.
"Honey! Look at the wolf!"..

BOOM.

I believe wolves were always native to the area, and in fact one of the arguments against reintroduction was that some believed wolves were still present in small numbers.If so, the reintroduction of wolves being of a different sub species would "contaminate" the DNA of the local population so to speak.
Central Idaho has always had wolves. They were smaller and more docile than the Canadian imports. The reintroduction was in direct violation of the Endangered Species Act and the natives have since been bred out of existence. This thing wasn't about preserving a species anyway. It was about stopping hunting.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Central This thing wasn't about preserving a species anyway. It was about stopping hunting.

I'm not an expert, but after reading various articles on the matter, that was my take on matter as well..
As smart as some folks claim them things to be I felt sure they could read the park boundry signs and stay on the right side.
They left out the fact that this was an undocumented immigrant single parent lesbian vegan wolf.... on its way to Whole Foods to grab some supper no doubt...
Hopefully it was a head shot..you know the kind that leaves the eyes bugging out...

Then, post a pic in local newspaper.

Tony
Central Idaho has always had wolves. They were smaller and more docile than the Canadian imports. The reintroduction was in direct violation of the Endangered Species Act and the natives have since been bred out of existence. This thing wasn't about preserving a species anyway. It was about stopping hunting.

They were also in the Commissary Ridge area of WY before the "reintroduction"
Originally Posted by Tanner
Wonder what bullet? grin...

Why it was Wolf ammo, 223 bulk in a 500 round brick. wink

Gunner
Those dang Canadians Wolfies just don't seem to recognize a border when they see one. Think Pete could confirm that Canadian beavers are also eating their way through the English forest.
Pretty sure they didn't swim over. laugh
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
They left out the fact that this was an undocumented immigrant single parent lesbian vegan wolf raised by itself in a lead dust contaminated ozone depleted atmosphere and someone touched its genitals when it was 2 wks old.... on its way to Whole Foods to grab some supper no doubt...

There I fixed it for you

Magnum Man
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Think Pete could confirm that Canadian beavers are also eating their way through the English forest.

Sounds dirty
Hats off to the guy that got her!!!! Keep on shootin 'em
I couldn't find the comments on that article but wonder if the article it referenced at the bottom had a comment section. One of my co-workers has been battling the greenies in the comment section for a week now.

People amaze me. It is no wonder are country is where it is at when you read the comments.
The lamented wolf was "Popular", "rock star" and "most famous wolf in the world"
Popular with tourists and famous with folks that live thousands of miles away. L.A. NYC.

Local issue, local solution...
Originally Posted by Partagas
I couldn't find the comments on that article but wonder if the article it referenced at the bottom had a comment section. One of my co-workers has been battling the greenies in the comment section for a week now.

People amaze me. It is no wonder are country is where it is at when you read the comments.

I think you have to log in to the site or view on facebook.

If you legally kill a collared wolf, do you get to keep the collar?

It would look cool on a full mount.

NY Times... Ignorant pillow biters
I'd try some collared wolf and collard greens.
Might be fun to suggest to the Anti's that hunters are able to receive the info from these GPS locator collars and thats why so many wolves have been killed? grin
That's mean..............grin

Kinda like sticking 4000 nomadic plains animals at 8000 ft during winters with six foot snow drifts and telling them to stay.
Exactly.

Crazy thing the idiots are trying to do it again in the Breaks.
Should get interesting when we get a bad Winter and they try to cross the lake.

Neat idea's on paper but not so much in the real world.

The wolf idea was beyond stupid, even our resident wolf [bleep] have finally figured that out.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

If you legally kill a collared wolf, do you get to keep the collar?

It would look cool on a full mount.

be more fun to toss the collar on an eastbound coal train wink straight back to washington dc
Originally Posted by eh76

be more fun to toss the collar on an eastbound coal train wink

LOL! THAT would be funny.
I wonder how many elk would be in someones freezer if it wasn't for the famous rock star and her offspring.
I love a wolf with the air let out of it.
Hope there will be a lot more.
Maybe so many high profile wolves have been shot outside the park this year because there is no game left in the Park?!?!

I'd buy that hunter a beer!

ddj
Wildlife groups are gnashing their teeth and claiming hunters are targeting the collared animals. Seems like a great argument FOR more trapping.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...2a01d64-7e4e-5f17-a8bb-34e7b1193c06.html

Theres times I just cant believe the stupidity displayed by both sides of this entire wolf issue.

Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, the great lakes region all invested heavily in getting wolves off the list, setting up management plans, implementing their plans, setting seasons, etc.

Hunters have successfully gained State Management authority and are conducting legal hunts on wolves in several states. Thats something that many hunters said would never happen.

Now, you have idiots on these hunting boards recommending stupid chit like putting radio collars on coal trains, trucks, etc. What would that prove? What would it accomplish? You dont think researchers are smart enough to know whats going on?

Anyone that believes "ideas", like those mentioned, would HELP the situation is not using their heads. Those collars are not cheap...and they will be replaced by new ones if they arent returned. Take a guess who pays for them?

The wolfhippies are no better. Hunters are not targeting wolves with collars. Its ridiculous that there is even any discussion happening regarding making a collared wolves off limits to hunters. A wolf is a wolf regardless of a collar or lack of one. This is just an excuse for the wolf hippies trying to put a stop to the legal, state sanctioned hunting of wolves.

All that said, it makes sense for hunters to step up and do the right thing. Show some leadership, responsibility, and ethics. If you kill a wolf with a radio collar, turn it in.

The idiots coming up with the brilliant ideas of SSS, messing with radio collars, etc. will do nothing but hurt the massive efforts that it took to gain legal wolf hunting.

Be smart with your decisions...the sport of hunting, and continued wolf management, hinges on how we conduct ourselves.
Buzz, there is some concern and precedent for hunters using collars to kill animals. Back in the 80s it was all the rage to poach black bears out east for paws and gall bladders for the oriental markets. Researchers running bears on radio collars were losing their animals right and left to poachers with scanners that could find those transmitters. Some safe guards are in place now to minimize that problem but I don't know if is a nonissue now or not.

Indeed, with the wolf issue, hunters continue to shoot themselves in the feet with respect to cultivating the respect of the nonhunting public. Such a change from the heydays of game management in from the 40s through the 80s, when hunters rightfully took the lead as conservationists. Now it is all about farming for targets and nothing else.
BuzzH: You make some excellent points about the wolf collars.

The hunting community suffers plenty of bad press as it is. The last thing that we need is to have a front page article about some hunter shooting a wolf and then doing something stupid with a tracking collar. You can bet that if that were to happen, it would receive all sorts of attention and get blown way out of proportion. Things like that do nothing good for the hunting community. If such a thing were to start happening, it's a good bet that wolf hunting could get shut down and all of the time, money, and effort invested in making it legal to hunt wolves again would be wasted.

As hunters, we need to make sure that we are doing the right thing legally and ethically all of the time. Like it or not, the poor decisions of a handful of hunters across the country are judged under a microscope and used to perpetuate the stereotype that all hunters are a bunch of beer drinking, out of control, law breaking, blood thirsty rednecks who will shoot anything that moves.
While Buzz and I have had some disagreement on the Wolf issue, especially in regards to Wyoming�s hard line stance on the predator zone, I have to agree with what he said in the above post.

The Antis are looking for any situation to show that the States cannot manage the wolf populations.

Keep everything on the up and up and bag limits and controls will get more aggressive as time passes, as long as the States keep control.

As to using a collar to locate and hunt wolves this has been going on here in Wyoming with the Federal guys and problem wolves. cool

I ,possibly, once heard of a single collar being used to keep track of a particularly troublesome pack. That collar was "rumored" to have assisted in 27 confirmed cases of lethal management. Once that collar stopped transmitting the collar wearer was the prime target as he was a proven troublemaker and "rumor" has it a helicopter and shottygun allowed the collar to be retrieved. grin
as long as a single wolf is dying to hunters bullets,
the "wolfhippies will scream.
[bleep] 'EM
I for 1 will rub their snotty noses in it.
Our turn to be in charge!
Just out from AP:

Montana officials shut down wolf hunting, trapping near Yellowstone

15 minutes ago � Associated Press

BILLINGS � Montana wildlife commissioners have closed some areas outside Yellowstone National Park to wolf hunting and trapping after several collared animals used for scientific research were shot in recent weeks.

The closures were approved Monday on a 4-1 vote by Montana�s Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission. Commissioner Dan Vermillion cast the lone dissenting vote.

Saturday marks the opening day of Montana�s first wolf trapping season since the animals lost federal protections last year.
With at least five collared wolves from the park shot this year, commissioners say they want to guard against too many being killed.

But Commission Chairman Bob Ream says Monday�s action was not a permanent closure.

Wildlife officials say the statewide wolf harvest is down 18 percent this year.

Wow- Dont like to see this. Isnt that part of the equation? Just collar some more animals if they want to continue the "study". I would like to know what they are trying to learn with these collared animals.
no schitt...that's my stomping grounds and i still have to fill my wolf tag. no update on the Montana FWP site yet.
State of Montana just gave themselves
a "buffer zone". Dumb Schits
WRONG MOVE IMO
State of Montana just gave themselves
a "buffer zone". Dumb Schits
WRONG MOVE IMO
You gotta love the self righteous........apparently crazy but as far as I am concerned they can GFY. I'll never be PC so live with it. That is what created the mess we are in up to our necks all the way around. Some on here take themselves way to seriously.........

The whole program is a waste of taxpayer dollars and should be shut down...end of story.
No, the Commission gave themselves a buffer zone.

I dont agree with it either.
I was at the Region office today for the conference call. Open to public.

They voted on a three land purchases and the buffer zone thing. It was a 4 hour call by the way.

Very discouraging to see the lack of attendence by outdoorsman. As well as per normal the bunny huggers were prepared and ready. Long and the short outdoorsman have to get it together and start taking this stuff more serious. And part of what we can do is be there to voice our opinion.

I think I was the last one to speak b4 they voted, there may of been one more after me or not I can't recall for sure.

I mentioned that our ytd take is 18% lower than this time a year ago.

I mentioned that the closest quote area (316) still isn't at quota.

I mentioned that in 2011 we took 166 of the quota of 220 and obviously missed the quota by a fair amount

I mentioned that I see no reason for the closure/buffer zone

Long and the short the FWP game commision voted 4 to 1 in favor of the buffer zone.

Personally I feel it's an incredibly poor choice on their part! I see no reason to have a buffer zone!

Sportsman have to get more involved in this kind of stuff if they wish to have a chance to make a difference.

Just my thoughts

Dober

(and by the way, I am trying hard to be more involved as well and only mean to encourage others to get involved as well. IMO if you like to hunt/fish etc you should be getting involved. So, lets get after it guys/galz.)
i guess i don't understand here...why can a sportsman trap 3 wolves, but only shoot one? i thought it was a jab at the bunny huggers, but then this 'buffer zone' thing seems to pander to them.

and i agree that we have to get our schitt together.
Toad-excuse my lack of understanding on how to say this but from what I understand for a lack of better words they got the 3 wolves in on the trapping because of a prior precedence. Wording is probably terrible there and perhaps Buzz can help us out on that?

I feel that the acceptance of the 3 for trapping now could pave the way for shooting 3 later. Just my gut feel.

The thing I really dislike about the buffer zone thing they voted on today is that they got it once....look for them to want it next year as well. I feel it'd be really bad to give into it in the regs for 2013. So gang look for it and your chance to go and speak. We can all do a better job of voicing our opinion on these kinds of things. At least I know for sure that I can.

A TV station was there for all of it, I think it was KBZK of Boze?

Dober
there was a clip on CH 2 from Billings, but i missed it.

and i bet you are right in that we'll have to fight to get the 'buffer zone' back.

but what i don't get is why on earth do they need collars on every other wolf in the YNP area. it seems soley so the dude in the yellow Nissan Extera can find the wolves without getting out of his rig, and point them out to the six or so wolf watchers every sunday in the Lamar.

[Linked Image]
And about all this "study" BS. What do the idiots expect to learn that they don't already know? Why do they need to continue to waste our tax dollars for nothing?
As I understand the collars? they give off the info on location of the animal and when the animal stops moving they go for a look to see why. Collars let them know the packs location so if a predator complaint is turned in for loss of domestic animals they can go to their log and see if there was a pack in the locality. Lotd of info from the collars.
I think it would do us a lot of good in ALL the states if we pay close attention to what Dober wrote...
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I think it would do us a lot of good in ALL the states if we pay close attention to what Dober wrote...

+1

ddj
Dober, the commission believes that they can't allow more than 1 wolf to be shot by a hunter being that it's statutory. It's needs a legislative change. I believe now, as I did then that they could have increased 3 or more for any means of take. The animal is neither a big game or predator. He's a "Species in need of Management" and as such there's no statutory regulations that apply. Only Federal and state laws that go with the management plan.

That's MY understanding.
Get used to it. The Nazi Park Circus and Wolf Worshippers get their thongs in their crack everytime one of their so-called "Denali Wolves" step outside park boundries and get whacked.

The worst thing MT could do is agree to a buffer zone around the parks. The Nazi Park Circus pushed for and got it around Denali and now the bastards think they own it.
Guess what the "wolf hippies" are saying
VICTORY!!
The Montana game Commission opened the door
a crack...
Now pour thru and keep pushing.
We're winning!!!!
[bleep] DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
Somebody post these dumb schits phone #'s
so I can call and yell!
And I'm from Wy.
What a complete assine stupid [bleep] move
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Very discouraging to see the lack of attendence by outdoorsman. As well as per normal the bunny huggers were prepared and ready. Long and the short outdoorsman have to get it together and start taking this stuff more serious. And part of what we can do is be there to voice our opinion.

It's time for us to quit bitching on the internet, and calling people names...we know this already and it is a waste of energy. It's time to get organized, get focused and bring a calm, cool and collected fight to the table.

As Buzz noted, the SSS and hyperbolic rhetoric (while comical at times) doesn't help us, and there are many out there waiting to be convinced of what is right.
You can bet that the antis will be right back wanting a BIGGER buffer zone. Allowing any buffer just opened the flood gates. Giving in was a very bad mistake.
What a shame the MT commission caved. It is hard for some to understand that for the Antihunters one wolf killed is too many.

Good for Mark on showing up and voicing an opnion, or maybe just stating facts. cool

The animal humpers would like you to think this wolf was killed by a hunter but the truth is Rock Star stowed away and was last seen heading to LA to seek more fame.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Pete E

I believe wolves were always native to the area, and in fact one of the arguments against reintroduction was that some believed wolves were still present in small numbers.If so, the reintroduction of wolves being of a different sub species would "contaminate" the DNA of the local population so to speak.

They didn't need to relocate wolves. Wolves have been naturally expanding their range south. Probably would have arrived there by now, naturally.

There is a group who envisions having an International/National Park that runs from Yellowstone to the Yukon. They advocate that it is necessary to preserve breeding populations (mainly of large predators) that they claim roam across that expanse. The species require fewer barriers to migration. I think the group calls themselves Y2Y?
You in the West, have it with the greenies with Wolves and we in the East, have it with greenies with the fish and the all the *(&!@&^$^&& studies which amount to NOTHING except take away from the hunters and fisherpersons. Like someone said "What a pitiful state this union we're in!"
East and West, and Midwest (Great Lakes) We are still fighting the wolf huggers and throw in the Chippewa for good measure.
Wolves will be seen as a huge mistake if not already!

ddj
The population of deer and elk are significantly down in Yellowstone due to the wolf. That suits the greenies just fine as they think it is in a more "natural" balance. All they really care about is they hate capitalism, and hunters, et al.
good news,

the morning news said that the CBU (Citizens for Balanced use----we should all be members) is suing to block the wolf hunt closure, and judge Swandal ruled the unit to remain open to hunting pending the court date.

Light 'em up, boys...
BOOM!
Sit, Stay, good wolf.
There is another reason to keep the wolf population down. It is a deadly parasite called hydatid disease. The feces of a contaminated wolf will have these eggs and it can be spread quite easily to other animals including man.

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011/05/16/the-spreading-of-echinococcus-granulosus-eggs/

Idaho has been determined to have wolves that have carry this parasite:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011/05/16/the-spreading-of-echinococcus-granulosus-eggs/

JAN 06

Two-Thirds of Idaho Wolf Carcasses Examined Have Thousands of Hydatid Disease Tapeworms:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2010...-thousands-of-hydatid-disease-tapeworms/

You can bet if I lived in Mt, Id or Wy I would be very concerned about this disease. I would be careful to wear a mask when handling a wolf. I would also be concerned that my dog could get this disease and give it to my family.
© 24hourcampfire