Home
Posted By: Otter6 Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
I've always been obsessed with moose. They just epitomize big game. In my mind atleast. I hope to somehow find the means to hunt moose in the lower 48 before my body gives out completly. Lets see some pics of your moose. Dead or Alive. Here are a couple pics I snapped of one in colorado season before last. We were elk hunting. I was easing up into a beaver bottom and thought someone tied up a horse right where I wanted to go. There were mounted hunters camped about 1/2 a mile down the valley. Upon glassing the would be horse it soon became apparent that it was a Bullwinkle! That just may be the coolest thing that has ever happened to me in the brush. I watched it for about an hour. Way cool! If anyone knows of a good moose prospect in the lower 48 that doesn't require tying up $3000 a year in "the system" give me a holler. I'd love to hear about it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lets see those moose pics fellas!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Shiras moose I ran into fishing , one of many over the years...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Heres another Shiras I photographed while fishing. If I have ever seen a 50 inch Shiras...this would be him...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Buy points in New Hampshire. Much less than out west.
Posted By: SixGunHunter Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Agreed JRS3.

Otter, For $15.00 you can enter our Moose lottery. (You still have time to enter) If you can not hunt this coming October for whatever reason just check the box that says "add a point". This way the following year your name will be in the system twice. My name is in the system about 12 times!

With our Tick problem, the amount of Moose up for grabs is down over 100 over past years. If we don't control the tick problem soon, there will be No Moose Hunt!

Moose fasinate me too and I spend my summers watching them in the North Country...of New Hampshire.
Maine also has a lottery hunt but last I knew you need to hire a Guide. Add $2000.00 plus for a good one, but Maine does grow Moose bigger than NH.

When your time comes, feel free to message me and I will be happy to help you. If you want to join the lottery now, simply google NH F&G. The Moose hunt page is there. You can read up on Out of State regulations.
My Family has 3 Moose to our credit. I have Moose steaks marinating as I write this and Moose chili headed to our Gun Club's meeting tomorrow night. I Love Moose!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
We have a moose draw in WA, but I may expire before drawn
Posted By: tominboise Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
I like them too, and they are my favorite big game animal. Just to know they are around is very cool. They are very tasty, too. I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to hunt them again, but I'm going to keep trying.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by ingwe
Heres another Shiras I photographed while fishing. If I have ever seen a 50 inch Shiras...this would be him...

[Linked Image]

NICE MOOSE! Thanks for the pics.
Yipes! Are there that many ticks up your way!? I never would have thought they could effect moose populations. I'd never survive there myself. If 6 of us go for a hike,I come back with a dozen ticks on me. My friends call me tick magnet. I do like the sounds of your point system though. I'm 50 now. You figure there might be hope of drawing before I'm all used up?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Here's my 54 1/2 inch shiras bull from extreme W Montana in 2010. He was MUCH bigger in body (and antler) then any other shiras bull I have had the pleasure of taking apart. I really think he may have had some Canadian genetics in him. He was easily the size of my 16 hand quarter horse, where the other mature shiras moose I have seen killed were not much larger than a mature elk.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
I have put in for the moose draw here in CO ever since they started to have them. Don't think they will ever give me a tag before I croak.
Posted By: SixGunHunter Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Otter,

The ticks like Moose, not you. There are several different types of ticks. These ticks are almost always on Moose. NH F&G Biologist's told us that some of these ticks were found on whitetail, but rarely.

My Brother's Bull killed in 2010 was 6 1/2 yrs. old. He dressed a mere 550 lbs. His "rack" was 3 points. About 7" on one side and 12" on the other with a small 3" kicker. 3 points. This poor Bull was being eaten alive and never would have survived the winter.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
I have been putting in for moose in Montana for 35+ years now, without ever drawing. On the other hand, my wife drew a bull tag the first time she applied in 1988, and drew an antlerless permit about 4-5 years ago.

Every few years I get fed up with applying and book a moose hunt in Alaska or Canada. I may not die before drawing a Montana tag, but at 60 and Montana giving out fewer moose tags due to a population drop due to wolves and other factors, I am probably going to head to Canada again pretty soon.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Dog Hunter, that is one bad assed Shiras moose, nice job.
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have been putting in for moose in Montana for 35+ years now, without ever drawing. On the other hand, my wife drew a bull tag the first time she applied in 1988, and drew an antlerless permit about 4-5 years ago.

Every few years I get fed up with applying and book a moose hunt in Alaska or Canada. I may not die before drawing a Montana tag, but at 60 and Montana giving out fewer moose tags due to a population drop due to wolves and other factors, I am probably going to head to Canada again pretty soon.

I had the same type of experience, unsuccessfully applying for years for moose tags in several western and northeastern states. In 2010 I went to Ontario and shot a moose. A guaranteed tag and hunt is available there for less than $4,000.00 if you want to be unguided and less than $6,000.00 fully guided. Either would include flying, accomodations, boats and motors.
Dog Hunter, NICE Bull! Great pic too. 45/70?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13

Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Dog Hunter, that is one bad assed Shiras moose, nice job.

Originally Posted by Otter6
Dog Hunter, NICE Bull! Great pic too. 45/70?

Thanks guys...That's actually a .450 Marlin: may as well be a hopped up 45/70. It dropped that bull like a sack of chit! It was awesome!
Posted By: Greenbrier Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/17/13
DogHunter, that is one great moose!
Posted By: KC Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13

Here's one from 2011. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
NICE! Where did you bag that big boy?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Almost forgot ...heres one my niece got in Alaska a couple years ago...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Your niece looks hot...just saying...

I'm assuming she's the one on the right.
Posted By: rusty51 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I have shot a few moose here in Alberta,once they hit the turf ,the fun is over with.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter

Yep.And that would be her husband on the left....
Posted By: Brad Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I love moose!

Some great heads on this thread.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep.And that would be her husband on the left....

Yeah, the guy with the handgun!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Originally Posted by KC

Here's one from 2011. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Dang! Thats a nice bull! I miss seeing them around here. frown
Posted By: TJAY Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I went to Manitoba a few years ago for this one[Linked Image].

Posted By: Brad Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Three bulls and a cow I caught one frosty morning last year...

[Linked Image]

Three last spring out on the lawn...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Caught this gal out in the flats year before last...

[Linked Image]

Stumbled on this young bull while deer hunting season before last... he was shot this past season...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tominboise Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
There are some darn nice moose on this thread.....
Posted By: KC Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13

I ain't tellin'. It was in a limited draw unit in Alaska and I didn't draw a moose tag this year.

KC

Originally Posted by KC

I ain't tellin'. It was in a limited draw unit in Alaska and I didn't draw a moose tag this year.

KC

wink whistle cool
Originally Posted by Brad
I love moose!

Some great heads on this thread.

Can I get a "Harumph"? All in favor? HARUMPH!

Gotta love em.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I didn't get a harumph out of that guy!
Posted By: JFKinYK Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I'm obsessed. After moving North it is all I think about. Luckily, for $20, I can buy a tag and hunt a 6 month season for any moose on 4 legs. My first hit the ground this past season, shot from sitting in my canoe. What an experience.
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
[Linked Image]

Here's one killed at 10 yds in his bed with a 30-30 lever gun
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
[Linked Image]

Prairie moose(grin)I bumped into up in North Valley County, Montana, two summers ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
[Linked Image]

Western Montana, two falls back.

[Linked Image]

Little brother's Shiras.
Posted By: archie_james_c Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Gorgeous Shiras guys. I didn't think they came from the factory with bumpers that big laugh

I'll try and dig out what I can for Ontario Moose.
Well, since this has turned into a Shiras-fest, here's mine:

[Linked Image]

Of course, since he was fool enough to be shot 30 mi. N of Glacier Park, I guess he's not really a Shiras, after all... If you're a purist, anyway.

And, when querried, he stated EMPHATICALLY that he did NOT like 250 grain IL's. wink

FC
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bad picture of a good moose
[Linked Image]

Doesn't show much, but a 56 incher a little over 3 miles from the truck (bow hunt).
[Linked Image]

30something about a mile closer to the truck in a ton of snow (bow hunt).
[Linked Image]

Another 30something, different area...
[Linked Image]

Did that one the easy way...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Couple of Shiras.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Man I'm glad I started this thread! You all rock. Super moose pics everyone. Dead and Alive. Pour em on boys this is great.

Hey Kodiakisland. Nice! Looks like you need to be a logger as well as a butcher.

cwh2: Those are some super pics of some dandy bulls. I can't believe I was born here in PA. Of all the places momma could have had me,it had to be PA! I'm afraid if I ever went to Alaska I'd never come back.

Posted By: bearstalker Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
I grew up on moose meat and ate/eat it every year. One of my favs. Some great pics in this thread!

cwh2: Those are some super pics of some dandy bulls. I can't believe I was born here in PA. Of all the places momma could have had me,it had to be PA! I'm afraid if I ever went to Alaska I'd never come back.

Everybody's from somewhere, but it is rarely a life sentence unless you let it be.

I was born up here, but grew up in Oregon. I like visiting Oregon and living in Alaska better than the other way around.
Originally Posted by cwh2

Everybody's from somewhere, but it is rarely a life sentence unless you let it be.

I was born up here, but grew up in Oregon. I like visiting Oregon and living in Alaska better than the other way around.

I hear ya brother. When I was 15 my grandparents and I drove to Eley MN,then took a charter plane up into Canada to fish for a week. It was SO hard leaving the north country. Even at 15 I was trying to talk the outfitter into putting me up for a season to work for him. Sounded like a fair trade to me at the time. Work for board so to speak. Well,he knew better,and Gram got wind of it as well. Skunked again! If my wife's folks were in better shape we could relocate. But,she doesn't want to leave her brother here alone to take care of them. If my girls were grown and on their own,I'd relocate. Maybe try a long distance marriage,lol. My oldest daughter wants to move to Rock Springs WYO right now. She says cyber school,hunt,and fish in that order. Well,maybe switch the first two now and then. Ah such is life. I'll just visit these places as much as I can for now.
Posted By: raamw Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
My moose hunt didn't go as planned...but its hunting not killing as they say

[img:center][Linked Image]]

Fly-in Moose Hunting

Lloyd and Bruce fly in to the Alaskan interior to go moose hunting. They have a good hunt, and both manage to get a large moose. When the plane returns to pick them up, the pilot looks at the animals and says, "This little plane won't lift all of us, the equipment, and both of these animals--you'll have to leave one. We'd never make it over the trees on the take-off."

"That's baloney", says Bruce.

"Yeah," Lloyd agrees, "you're just chicken. We came out here last year and got two moose and that pilot had some guts; he wasn't afraid to take off."

"Yeah," said Bruce, "and his plane wasn't any bigger than yours!"

The pilot got angry, and said, "Well, if he did it, then I can do it, I can fly as well as anybody!" They loaded up, taxied at full throttle, and the plane almost made it, but didn't have the lift to clear the trees at the end of the lake. It clipped the top, then flipped, then broke up, scattering the baggage, animal carcasses, and passengers all through the brush.

Still alive, but shaken and dazed, the pilot sat up, shook his head to clear it, and said "Where are we?"

Bruce rolled out from being thrown in a bush, looked around, and said, "I'd say, about a hundred yards further than last year
Posted By: PennDog Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/18/13
Ok this has been seen before but since it is likely the only moose I will ever take I will share again and my apologies for redundancy!!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

My Alaska moose from 2009.....was an incredible experience and one that I WILL never forget grin

PennDog
raamw Now that's funny!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Holy points bat man! Thats a dandy PennDog
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Brad, nice view from the front lawn there.

Anybody know what would motivate a moose out into the sage....or is it that they're just passing through?
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/biff_013/Picture214-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/biff_013/scan0001_2-1-1.jpg[/img] [img]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/biff_013/Picture247.jpg[/img] [img]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/biff_013/Picture395.jpg[/img]
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Yup, know the feeling well. I'm a moose hunting nut case, love to hunt them with different calibers to compare reaction to hits-(doesn't mean much as there are too many variables to quantify but it sure is fun!)
Here are a few over the years:

1999-30-06 180g @40y
[Linked Image]

2004-358 200 hdy @100y
[Linked Image]

2005-358 win 200hdy @250y
[Linked Image]

2005-300 win mag 180GS @75y
[Linked Image]

2007-444 265hdy @25y
[Linked Image]

2010-300WBY 180NP @60y, 338Ultra 225tsx @15y, 300WIN 180GS @70
It was an incredible year for us-7 day hunt, 3 moose in 4 days! Will probably never happen again, glad I was a part of it.
[Linked Image]
Great thread, can never get tired of moose "exposure"- keep 'em coming!
Posted By: buffybr Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
My first Montana Shiras from many years ago, shot with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr NP. He was right at 50" when I shot him.
[Linked Image]
That must be a heck of a meat pole those three are hanging on!
Posted By: EdM Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Just behind the house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little further north.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PennDog Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
MP4444.....how long and how did you get that moose out of the water??

and Buffybr......did you need a 30 Gibbs to shoot a moose at 50" away????? laugh

I wish I had moose to hunt often.....they are great eating and really cool animals......been a moose nut all my life as well!

PennDog
Don't even ask!!! The better part of a day using a canoe, atv, winches and losta rope. That was one tough moose- took 3 hits and ran over 75y before he collapsed, 2 broadside and one center chest.
On the 3 moose hunt, we shot 2 the same morning, hour and a half apart on different mountain sides and the third one 3 days later in the evening.
Was one helluva hunt all I can say, it had all the perfect elements, stars and moons aligned, everything went like clock work from beginning to end without even one hiccup-like I said a successful hunt like that probably comes around once in a lifetime- I'm really grateful, can't ask for more.
I realize how lucky we are to hunt them every year with an over the counter $60 tag you purchase before midnight of opening day.
IMO hunting them during the "call", depending on opening dates, is the most exiting as you can usually hear them answering and breaking things on their way in.
You moose hunters out there know what I'm talking about. You want to talk about adrenaline and getting the shakes lasting from 20 mins to 2 hours-hunt moose during the call!
I usually still hunt them-really like to get close, though not always feasible, get a super rush knowing a large animal like that is almost next to me, makes you feel really small indeed.
What tricks and techniques do you all use when after these giants.
Buffybr, that's one handsome moose you got there-doesn't even look like a shiras, more like one you'd find in B.C. Nice paddles!
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Yipes! Are there that many ticks up your way!? I never would have thought they could effect moose populations. I'd never survive there myself. If 6 of us go for a hike,I come back with a dozen ticks on me. My friends call me tick magnet. I do like the sounds of your point system though. I'm 50 now. You figure there might be hope of drawing before I'm all used up?

About 10 years ago NH F&G's moose biologist did a study and determined that the average moose in NH had 15,000 to 25,000 ticks living on it. 2 years ago the study was repeated and they found the average NH moose has anywhere from 30,000-90,000 ticks living on it. http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2008/06/25/ticks-taking-toll-on-moose/

I love moose as well and have killed three. Two in VT and one in NH.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Man I'm glad I started this thread! You all rock. Super moose pics everyone. Dead and Alive. Pour em on boys this is great.

Hey Kodiakisland. Nice! Looks like you need to be a logger as well as a butcher.

Don't let PA hold you back. It hasn't held me back from moose. It's not far to VT or NH for moose watching and even if you aren't lucky in the moose drawings like I've been Quebec isn't much farther and you don't need to draw a tag to hunt there. Besides moose aren't everything and PA has a lot going for it in other ways.
Originally Posted by moosemike

Don't let PA hold you back. It hasn't held me back from moose. It's not far to VT or NH for moose watching and even if you aren't lucky in the moose drawings like I've been Quebec isn't much farther and you don't need to draw a tag to hunt there. Besides moose aren't everything and PA has a lot going for it in other ways.

Moosemike is absolutely right and Ontario is very good also-where there's a will.....
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Great pics guys!!

Reminds me of my annual moose camp trip with friends. Was just 2 of use for years now we have more friends out. Had a couple guys (non hunters) come out for a couple days to have some fun.......they did that for about 2-3 years, got hooked and now hunt. We have been in the same spot for about 22 years now.

Our group are meat hunters, not saying that if a trophy bull comes out it isnt going down, but as long as its a legal bull for us, its down. Times have changed from being single guys, 9 families need alot of meat...good thing we usually get a few elk each year too. Last year we got 2 bulls on the moose camp trip and then the following week later, 4 guys went out on a 1/2 day trip one morning.....seen nothing and were about only a mile away from the trucks when they seen 2 bulls fighting over a cow. So they got both as our group had a total of 4 moose tags last season.

Pics of camp and of the meat pole from last year, along with the guys dragging the 2 downed bulls from their half day trip in a new area.

Takes about 6-7 hours to set up camp. There are a few trips back and forth from the trucks/trailers to tub trailer supplies in. Arrive with trucks around 8:30-9am after about a 1-1.5 hour drive from home, start packing in. Usually by 3 pm we are setup, firewood supply for couple days chopped up and we come up with game plan for first evening out, and gone from camp by 4pm. Its alot of work , but as you all know, its worth it!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Walked into the middle area of a cutblock, got setup on an old chip and log pile and started cow calling. Called in this bull (pic of me) for one of the guys with a tag in a cutblock about 400m west of camp on first trip out from setting up camp this year (same block I called in bull the year before on the first evening out after camp set up...GOT to LIKE IT !! first day bulls!! and very close to camp). I could hear the bull grunting back and coming in to the east of us. The bull stopped at the edge of the block, then after what felt like an eternity, took couple steps out,turned broadside and stopped again. One shot at 114 metres broadside-double lung from his old 270Win with a 140gr Accubond did the job..the bull took about 3 steps and then dropped on the spot!
[Linked Image]
Took awhile to pick a path and cut with a chainsaw thru the cutblock to drag the bull out as with the tall grass it was hard to see the old fallen wood and stumps..trust me, my shines paid for it dearly. By the time we got the quads into the bull, dressed it out and were about to drag to the cutline, a few of the guys showed up as by then it was dark and they knew where we were and that a bull was DOWN!!! The beer and rum tasted good that first night at camp topped off with a victory cuban cigar (not that I'm a smoker-far from that, but once a year is ok) around the firepit!!

We like to split up in groups of 2 or 3 and explore/call in different areas to look for sign, that way we are not trying to call in the same bull.

Meat Chimes from the first moose.
[Linked Image]

A friend practicing his calling in a cutblock.
[Linked Image]
We had a bull come into my calls in the morning and was on a full run in, then the wind swirled, hit his brakes and turned and wheeled away. The bull was at least a 45", so we went back that mid afternoon and set up in a small bluff of trees in the cutblock right where the bull stopped on us in the morning. The bull was about 350m away the first time when he ran in, and being straight on, my friend passed up the shot. We never did see the bull again. BUT...his paitience paid off later.

He did get his first bull on the 1/2 day trip. What a great first bull!! This is our friend that just use to come out for a couple days and really got into the moose hunting now.
[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/104q2zc.jpg[/img]

Couple pics of the guys with their field dressing completed of the 2 bulls that were fighting over a cow hooked up ready to drag to the trucks/trailer.
[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/29m22jq.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/35i5bty.jpg[/img]

Now I cant wait till this years trip. This year I will be drawn and so should one other guy and then we have a couple guys that may or may not get drawn. The way we have our draws set up, we should have at least 2 tags every year.

Usually the weekend before, we make a day trip out to the area and take the kids/families and have a weenie roast. This year, I'm buying a Rhino and installing the rear roll cage and seat for the back for my 2 young boys!! Much easier than on a quad.

Posted By: keystoneben Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Looks like tons of fun.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/19/13
Originally Posted by PennDog

and Buffybr......did you need a 30 Gibbs to shoot a moose at 50" away????? laugh

I think so, because back then that was the biggest rifle that I owned, and from what I now read on some of these internet forums, I was even under-gunned with the .30 Gibbs.

Besides, I take pride in my ability to stalk close. wink

I'm tied up with elk this year,but I'll be giving you a holler here regarding the ins and outs of north country moosin'. I'll have a year to kill in 2014. Who knows? Might just pull it off before I'm too old to shoot.
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Great thread!

Here's some from the last few years on the Yukon Delta:

A tender one... smile
[Linked Image]

A stubborn one:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The end of a long, but GREAT day....
[Linked Image]

An angry one...
[Linked Image]

The bullet's impact...
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/aktrapper26/IMG_0398.jpg[/img]

Resting up for the work to come... laugh
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/aktrapper26/P9180091.jpg[/img]

There's a smile on the other side of that pack....
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/aktrapper26/P9180102.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa171/aktrapper26/P9180112.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Cool pics AKTrapper26. Those antlers on a fellas back really put things in perspective. A couple of nice bulls there! Thanks for posting them.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Really nice racks! Hunting these things has to be a labour of love, no other way to explain it-who else would smile, smoke a ciger or have a glass of JD after many hard hours of packing out so much meat!
You gotta love moose huntin..... smile
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Cool pics AKTrapper26. Those antlers on a fellas back really put things in perspective. A couple of nice bulls there! Thanks for posting them.

Now try to be a bull moose and run thru the timber!! lol!! tells youhow strong of an animal they are when they come charging in like a D11 CAT dozer thru the bush...just put their head down and giver!!
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
40 inch Utah Shiras Moose killed in 2009 Killed at 163 yards with a Christensen Arms 300 Ultra

[Linked Image]

44 Inch Newfoundland Moose killed in 2012 Killed at 667 Yards with a Gunwerks LR 1000 7MM LRM 180 gr berger VLD

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AKtrapper26 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Mighty Peace, I hear ya! one little tap on the willows and I think I'd have been down in a flurry of elbows. smile

I am always AMAZED at how they can come out of the thickest stuff and be utterly SILENT...and how they can disappear just as quickly and just as quietly...
Posted By: tzone Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
What a great thread!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/20/13
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
40 inch Utah Shiras Moose killed in 2009 Killed at 163 yards with a Christensen Arms 300 Ultra

[Linked Image]

44 Inch Newfoundland Moose killed in 2012 Killed at 667 Yards with a Gunwerks LR 1000 7MM LRM 180 gr berger VLD

[Linked Image]

I missed an oppertunity to go to Newfoundland 15 years ago. Oh how I wish I'd gone ahead and done it. It wasn't quite so expensive then,and the folks up that way are cool. I talked at length with a good man at Owls Nest Outfitters. Had things pretty well in order when my traveling buddy had a medical emergency. Out of respect for my buddy I didn't send my deposit,figuring we would hit it hard the next year. Well,you know. Oppertunity missed. That's a nice Newfy you have there. Sweet!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
The best pics of Shiras kills I've ever seen ... wow.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The best pics of Shiras kills I've ever seen ... wow.

+1, really surprised at those Shiras racks-had to see it to believe it.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
Man... I have been thinking about saving a little of my military pay up for something cool... a moose fits that bill.

Would love to be stationed in Alaska... grin
Posted By: JDK Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
Some great bulls.

Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
I shot this cow in Vermont in 2009. I shot her behind this camp (camp picture was taken last year) and she died in the open field to the left of this camp. I've shot two big bulls in VT and NH but I don't have a scanner to put those pics on here.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
Curious if a Vermont moose is a shirus?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
I believe they are eastern moose..
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/21/13
They are Eastern Canadian.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/22/13
Eastern Canadian by region, but I can't help but wonder if there's a subspecies on the eastern side of North America. I mean from the eastern portion of Quebec, New Brunswick down through Vermont, Maine etc, reason I say this is the bodies of these moose are seem smaller and more "compact" than in areas running west.
Case in point are those 3 moose we shot in '10, and the other moose that had been shot in that camp. I remember thinking, wow how come their bodies are so small and racks so big? Area was eastern Quebec bordering Newbrunswick, Any one who's seen enough eastern moose can make a half decent comparison by just looking at them-it was my first thought.
Anybody have any thought?
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/22/13
SCI divides the Canadaian moose into eastern and western. They feel there's a difference but I don't think it starts until you reach Alberta? B&C lumps them together under the "Canadian moose" heading.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/22/13
I know there are overlapping areas for species classification, and they' ve drawn the line for the sake of simplicity. I've long believed it was another sub- species what we call the "Maine" moose. They kind of look like the moose over in Norway, Finland etc.
Here's a link for a thread I stumbled upon in this forum- looks like someone had the same idea a couple of months ago.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7215742/all/Let_s_talk_Moose_Hunting
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/22/13
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Man... I have been thinking about saving a little of my military pay up for something cool... a moose fits that bill.

You can request it. It doesn't mean that you'll get the assignment, but you certainly can request it...
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/22/13
I shot this cow in Vermont in 2009. I shot her behind this camp (camp picture was taken last year) and she died in the open field to the left of this camp. I've shot two big bulls in VT and NH but I don't have a scanner to put those pics on here.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful camp. It looks a place I could live out my days in peace and QUIET. With moose to boot!
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/23/13
I dream about owning that camp. That piture of that 51" bull I showed you, he was shot just a stones throw from there to. That's one of my favorite spots on earth. I heard it was for sale recently but I don't have no million dollars. frown
Posted By: moosemike Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/23/13
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

You can request it. It doesn't mean that you'll get the assignment, but you certainly can request it...

My Grandpa was stationed at Eilson AFB in Fairbanks during the Korean war. Man does he have some stories.............. grin
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/23/13
Way back in 1986, I hunted moose and caribou in Saskatchewon, Canada but not from the same camp. My bull moose was hunted from a canoe with a Cree guide. Great memories of hunting with a real Indian. The caribou hunt took place much farther north. Hunting guide (a trapper)was arranged through a local Jesuit priest. I came home with stacks of meat, fine trophies, and great memories.

If I ever go moose hunting again, it will likely be Quebec.

Oh, and I hunted these animals with my .308 carbine and 180 grain Remington core-lokt ammo. None got away.

Sherwood
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/24/13
Now that sounds like a cool trip! Too bad it was before digital cameras. A true north country adventure.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/24/13
I really love moose as well. Here are some from the Big Horns in Wyoming.

[Linked Image]

Seems I always run into a couple while I'm fly fishing.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/24/13
Great pictures everyone!

My buddy and I were lucky enough to draw tags in Alaska in the Selawik NWR for September, so I am hoping to have some trophy pictures to share after that hunt.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/24/13
Nice pics Bob. It amazes me how much I like Moose. They are anything but attractive. A face only a mother.........or hunter can love.

Good Luck hook! Looking forward to those Bullwinkle pics.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/25/13
Originally Posted by Lhook7
Great pictures everyone!

My buddy and I were lucky enough to draw tags in Alaska in the Selawik NWR for September, so I am hoping to have some trophy pictures to share after that hunt.

Who you going to fly out with? That'll be a fun hunt. How many days?

Some great pictures on this thread. Crazy as it sounds, I haven't been moose hunting in a few years!
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/25/13
Love this thread!
Some of our camps...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This 73" Monster was the P&Y world record 4-5 yrs ago, shot in the Yukon-was on display at a show last week!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lhook7 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 02/25/13
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Great pictures everyone!

Some great pictures on this thread. Crazy as it sounds, I haven't been moose hunting in a few years!

We're going with Joe Schuster at Sportsman's Air Service. We are doing a nonguided hunt and Joe will provide air taxi and a fully outfitted camp. Our dates are Sept. 10-20. I've only had the tag for about a week and the wait is already killing me!
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/02/13
I hope to get a moose some day..... #shakeshead
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/02/13
Mp4444.....looks like a McMillin River bull.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/02/13
It might very well be, the hunter is a guy named Real Langlois also known as the Rack Man.
I think he has a hunting concession around the McMillan river area. Standing next to that moose sure is humbling, I'm 6'1" and could lie down between those paddles!
Posted By: rudyc Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/02/13
Went to Newfoundland a couple of time. Saw a bunch of moose each time and was fortunate to take 2 bulls. One at 18 yards the other a little over 25 yards.
The people there add a whole lot to the experience, swell folks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/03/13
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Great pictures everyone!

We're going with Joe Schuster at Sportsman's Air Service. We are doing a nonguided hunt and Joe will provide air taxi and a fully outfitted camp. Our dates are Sept. 10-20. I've only had the tag for about a week and the wait is already killing me!

Joe's good people and a fine pilot. You should have a great trip.
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/03/13
Thanks for the response. i have been fortuante enough to have managed to somehow roll a few of the yukon variety over in order to process. They seemed about twice as big as the Alberta variety in my opinion.
shocked
tz
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/03/13
Nice bull, and with "simple" archery equipment. My dad and his partner had gone to NFLD a few years back and they had a blast.
My dad saw 13 moose from half hour after sunup to about 11:30am.
They both got their moose the second day and spent the rest of the week hunting small game and fishing,( alot of walking, they were exhausted and sore by then!)
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/03/13
tz, Would love to see some pics if you`ve got any!
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/04/13
I got a serious case of moose envy after reading this thread but I'll throw in my 40" taken in Wyoming in 2006.
300 Win Mag at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NW AK Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/05/13
MOOSE!! It's hard not to love 'em.

Here's some random picts from Alaska.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/skandic/2010%20moose%20hunt/fall2010026.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/skandic/jakes%20moose%202010/jake008.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/skandic/moose08/moose08052.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/skandic/moose08/moose08048.jpg[/img]

Posted By: NW AK Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/05/13
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/05/13
Hey NW AK. Can I come live with you! Those are some nice Moose. I hate my life. Are you folks crossing them with Caribou? Never saw a moose with a shovel.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/05/13
Must be nice to see them miles away.Here it's a touch different.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/05/13
Nice bull!
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/06/13
NW AK, Those are some pretty nice pics! Is that 2 moose down within a few yards of each other??
Would like to hear story on that one!
What cartidges/bullets were you and your party using-distances?
Posted By: NW AK Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/07/13
Thanks. Yeah that was a good time. I wrote it up here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6995201/My_2012_Moose#Post6995201

I had my bow, but others had 338's.
Posted By: MJcarolyn magnetic wrap - 03/07/13
body wrap are among the most popular items in the market at present. These items are effective in supporting your body, promoting magnetic therapy and in providing the right kind of support needed by some parts of your body. This body wrap is primarily used by people who are suffering from conditions that are related to pain because of its effectiveness in providing pain relief and physical support to the affected area or joints. Among the many parts of the body that are greatly supported by this wrap are knees, shoulders, elbows and ankles. You can also expect it to work in treating tennis elbow and persistent joint pain.

While there are firm magnetic wrap that are effective in providing the best support to your body, there are also flexible ones which you can use in dealing with conditions that result from work-related activities. The flexible type is usually used by sportsmen who wish to obtain relief from joint pain and prevent muscle strain. The good thing about the wraps is that these are also effective in treating conditions that lead to long-term consequences, preventative care, sports injuries and short and acute pain episodes.

It should be noted that there are different types of magnet wraps at present so finding one which caters to the specific problems that you have with your joints and body parts is possible. The majority of these items are light in weight so you will never have a problem moving around with it. High quality magnetic body wraps are also popular for their toughness and durability. Another advantage of this wrap is that you can use it in undergoing magnetic therapy which can be extremely beneficial for your health.

One of the major benefits of undergoing magnetic therapy with the help of a magnetic body wrap is that it works in treating chronic pains. You can expect the therapy to work perfectly for those who are suffering from migraines, joint pains, back aches, carpal tunnel syndrome and spondylitis. If you are planning to use the magnet wrap when trying to undergo the therapy to treat chronic pains, then you should know that it works even more effectively in getting rid of the pain from your back, thighs and shoulders.

You can also expect the magnetic wraps to work effectively for patients who want to battle depression through magnetic therapy. The act of using magnets when it comes to treating depression is called repetitive transcranial magnetic simulation and this works by stimulating the specific part of your brain which triggers a depressed state. If you are only suffering from mild depression, then using the most suitable magnetic body wrapsfor you might help.

The body wraps are also effective in managing stress. The ability of this wrap to support some parts of your body can help you obtain the kind of relaxation that you need after an extremely stressful day at work. This is a huge help in decreasing your stress levels, thereby allowing you to prevent any health consequences triggered by a higher stress level. Taking all these benefits into consideration, it is just right for you to purchase this type of magnet wrap and use it to safely undergo magnetic therapy.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: magnetic wrap - 03/07/13
WTF!?!
Posted By: mp4444 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/07/13
Great story! Thanks
Posted By: las Re: magnetic wrap - 03/08/13
WTF!?!

Get rich quick troll or trolless.

I got pics - if I can just figure out what my photobucket password is.. but not on this computer.
Posted By: horse1 Re: magnetic wrap - 03/10/13
Could've killed this one 2 different days less than 30yds from the truck in late Oct:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Swamplord Re: magnetic wrap - 03/10/13
Lived in Alaska a while, have been known to find a few moose.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/guitarster1/moose%20racks/7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/guitarster1/moose%20racks/8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/guitarster1/moose%20racks/9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/guitarster1/moose%20racks/10.jpg[/img]

Posted By: Maverick940 Re: magnetic wrap - 03/10/13
Originally Posted by horse1
Could've killed this one 2 different days less than 30yds from the truck in late Oct:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a nice Shiras bull.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: magnetic wrap - 03/10/13
some are itty bitty ones ......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: magnetic wrap - 03/10/13
Yipes! You do have the Moose dialed in Swamplord.Holy cow. Or should I say Holy Bull.
Posted By: mp4444 Re: magnetic wrap - 03/11/13
Real nice! What caliber(s) and bullets did you use to take all those moose?
Posted By: JCS271 Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/14/13
Here's my 54 1/2 inch shiras bull from extreme W Montana in 2010. He was MUCH bigger in body (and antler) then any other shiras bull I have had the pleasure of taking apart. I really think he may have had some Canadian genetics in him. He was easily the size of my 16 hand quarter horse, where the other mature shiras moose I have seen killed were not much larger than a mature elk.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey Dog Hunter, that is a beautiful quarter horse you got there but it doesn't look an inch over 15H. wink
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/15/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Newfoundland 2012. 14 guys between two camps. One guy got skunked. Another guy passed on several as he has already taken a few smaller moose. LOTS of beer got drank!
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/15/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Gott love MOOSE. - 03/15/13
Originally Posted by JCS271

Hey Dog Hunter, that is a beautiful quarter horse you got there but it doesn't look an inch over 15H. wink

Ha! That ol' Molly maybe woulda broke 15 hands...here she is again with the horse I originally referenced.
[Linked Image]

Those two have been one hell of a good team for me over the years. I had to put the mule down just a month or so after I killed that moose. It was quite the bummer.
© 24hourcampfire