Home
Posted By: 4ager Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
How is it for table fare?

Trying to figure out what's "next", so just getting a gauge on what certain things are like as far as chow.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
coyotes eat it....
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
A good friend of mine guides in Texas for Auodad and I asked him the same thing. He said pretty much the same thing as huntsman.
Posted By: SLM Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Originally Posted by huntsman22
coyotes eat it....

Only if they are starving.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Well, scratch that.
Posted By: TomA Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
I have heard it's right up there with Aoumom. Some where between a goat and sheep but not fit for tablefare.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin). I've culled and killed over 100 of the darn things, tried them every conceivable way I can think of, and I think it's still the worst thing I've ever eaten.

If you have a chance though, a spot and stalk free range aoudad is an absolute blast to hunt.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin). I've culled and killed over 100 of the darn things, tried them every conceivable way I can think of, and I think it's still the worst thing I've ever eaten.

If you have a chance though, a spot and stalk free range aoudad is an absolute blast to hunt.

I'm sure it is, but I ain't putting that kind of effort into hunting something I can't eat. Auodad is off the list. That helps (some) in determining "next".
Posted By: eh76 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Javelina?
Posted By: rattler Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
nilgai if your worried bout eats followed by axis.....though aoudad is about highest on my list even figuring the meat prolly aint coming back
Posted By: geedubya Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin).

Quien Sabe,

as to the liquor part,

[Linked Image]

I must have been a breast fed baby, cause I still like mother's milk. LOL

As to eating aoudad meat........

I have a fellow in Manvel Texas do my jalepeno cheese smoked links....

[Linked Image]

and summer sausage from an aoudad/pork mix

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In fact next time I take a ewe or even a ram I'll take the backstraps and cut some "steak fingers" about 1/2" thick by 1" wide by 3" long, soak them in a teriyaki/Negra Modelo soak for an hour or so, then take a rolling pin and roll out some corn chips, add a Package of Pioneer peppered gravy mix, cayenne pepper, garlic pepper, chili powder and some Slap yo momma'. I'll coat the strips in this mix and deep fry. Chicken-fried Aoudad fingers.

I'd also bet it would make good chili. Take a bunch of chili powder, poblano pepper, bell pepper jalepeno pepper, chipotle pepper, cilantro, garlic, onion, a can of rotel tomatoes and green chili's. Cut the backstrap into chunks like stew meat and cook on low in a crock-pot for 10 to 12 hours. Might just work.

JAPPFT,

GWB
Posted By: geedubya Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Javelina?

I sneak up on a Jave' now and then.....

[Linked Image]

As with Black Bear and Aoudad, I have it made into smoked links.

[Linked Image]

I will admit, that the Javelina is my least favorite.

But look on the bright side, it works great for giving to deadbeats that are always asking for game meat.

Has a tendency to cure them of that malady. LOL

JAPPFT,

GWB
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Ate javelina once. Never again. Haven't tried Aoudad, but my hunting buddy cooks it up like Geedubya into steak finger strips, chicken fried with gravy. He swears they are good.
Posted By: TOBYJOETRUBY Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Only way to make aoudad taste better is to marinade it in [bleep].

Toby Joe
Posted By: NMpistolero Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
During the rut mature Rams have a distinct odor like all rutting males. Other times the meat is pretty mild. The thing about it is it's tough! One small bite will grow and grow in your mouth!! I'm sure young Rams and younger ewes aren't bad, and if you mix pork with it sausage will be as good as any sausage.

And in our bone pile in Texas the coyotes will leave the sheep. Deer scraps and javelina are gone the next day...
Posted By: strosfann Re: Auodad meat? - 06/09/15
Tried the backstrap off of a ewe once - won't be doing it again under any conceivable conditions.
Posted By: pointer Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
Originally Posted by pointer
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.

Price and time involved. Ain't laying out that much of either for something I can't/won't eat. Just me.
Posted By: pointer Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
I figure that'll be the closest I get to hunting a desert bighorn. Not all my hunts are solely grocery runs. Just different strokes.

PS- A mounted 'dad looks sweet as hell!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15

Yep, every "goat like" varmint I've tasted sucks pretty much. That is indeed my rationale and approach to hunting. Table fare is completely secondary although most enjoyable!
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Yep, every "goat like" varmint I've tasted sucks pretty much. That is indeed my rationale and approach to hunting. Table fare is completely secondary although most enjoyable!

I agree, I don't hunt for the meat although I eat what I hunt... if that makes sense?
Posted By: 4ager Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I agree, I don't hunt for the meat although I eat what I hunt... if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense; as do I.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
I agree, auodad ranks pretty close to javelina.

I'm not going to say I won't shoot another one. But, it won't be the main quarry in any planned hunt.

Either animal would have to be an extra.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Auodad meat? - 06/10/15
I shot one back in the late 80's in the Davis Mountains. Despite being told they weren't fit to eat by the guide we decided to fry up some of the backstrap. I still have no idea what it tastes like because I couldn't get the fork past my nose to my mouth.

Mike
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Auodad meat? - 06/12/15
I've eaten plenty of aoudad. Can't agree with the javalina comparisons. The ewes are excellent. The rams taste the same but are tougher. Reminds me a lot of domestic goat.

Now, an ibex-javalina comparison, I can get behind that. I wouldn't eat either one.
Posted By: SLM Re: Auodad meat? - 06/12/15
That's the first time I've ever heard aoudad and excellent in the same sentence.

You've got some tough taste buds.
Posted By: EricM Re: Auodad meat? - 06/12/15
GeeDubya, do you mind sharing the name of your guy who makes the summer sausage? I'll be out that way this fall and could see getting some made! Looks great!

Eric
Posted By: 222ai Re: Auodad meat? - 06/18/15
I have killed every size helping a rancher eradicate them free roaming in the early 90's and gave the meat away to this day, everybody that cooked them said they could only make them edible with spices and other meats in it. I still can remember the smell of the first one I skinned.
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/18/15
Don't do It, Smells like ass! If you have to try it COOK IT OUTSIDE
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Auodad meat? - 06/20/15
I had planned to take a backstrap off mine before I shot it. When I walked up on it and smelled it with the cape on, I knew there was no way I was skinning it to see what it smelled like underneath. Buzzards gotta eat too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Auodad meat? - 06/20/15
Originally Posted by rattler
nilgai if your worried bout eats followed by axis.....

^^^^^^ This

hint:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Auodad meat? - 06/24/15
I have always wondered about the eating of Aoudad. Most opinions are pretty harsh so it may well be that it isn't fit for the table. However, everything is relative.

Most I know also don't like domestic goat either. They often describe it as tough, fatty, "gamey" tasting and smells bad alive as well as while cooking. Sounds a lot like Aoudad descriptions.

I, however, do like domestic goat. It is smelly, can be tough (if not properly cooked) and has a unique taste that some don't care for.....but is hardly inedible. Slow cooked and properly spiced it is very good....in my opinion.

This question is for those who eat (and like) domestic goat and have eaten Aoudad.....compare the two. Is it similar??
Posted By: mudhen Re: Auodad meat? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by TexasRick

This question is for those who eat (and like) domestic goat and have eaten Aoudad.....compare the two. Is it similar??

Actually, I like cabrito, the only way that I have eaten domestic goat, and I have tried aoudad a few times. However, the cabrito that I have cooked was from young Nubian goats about 30-50 lbs live weight, while the aoudad that I have tried was meat from older mature rams. I have never found a way to cook meat from a mature aoudad ram that was worth the effort. If you're after meat, I would suggest trying to shoot a young animal.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/24/15
listen to Mudhen. Rio7
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Auodad meat? - 06/24/15
cabrito is available from many Mexican resturants & is delicious. we have cooked small goats in pit of coals in deer camp & it was as good as just about any meat cranky72
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Auodad meat? - 06/25/15
Concerning domestic goats, there is a big difference between a 40-50 lbs young meat goat and a 6 year old 260 lbs breeding buck. Our buck is rutting right now and you can smell him from 100 yards away. I'd guess there is a huge difference in Auodad as well....but who wants to shoot a 5 month old/50 lbs Auodad?
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Auodad meat? - 06/25/15
Auuk... sick been about 15 years since I shot one and I can still taste it. old ram ,kinda mousy flavor/smell. Tough as a truck tire.
Even my dog wouldn't eat it.

Lefty C
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Auodad meat? - 06/25/15
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Auuk... sick been about 15 years since I shot one and I can still taste it. old ram ,kinda mousy flavor/smell. Tough as a truck tire.
Even my dog wouldn't eat it.

Lefty C

What does mouse taste like? grin
Posted By: badger Re: Auodad meat? - 06/30/15
I've heard the expression "The more you chew, the bigger it gets" and that describes my one experience with auodad meat perfectly. Shoe leather would probably be easier to stomach.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Auodad meat? - 06/30/15
An old hunting and fishing buddy of mine who grew up in Orlando when it only had 25,000 people used to say, "Some people say armadilla tastes like chicken, but the more you chew it, the more it tastes like armadilla."
© 24hourcampfire