Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How is it for table fare?

Trying to figure out what's "next", so just getting a gauge on what certain things are like as far as chow.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coyotes eat it....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good friend of mine guides in Texas for Auodad and I asked him the same thing. He said pretty much the same thing as huntsman.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
coyotes eat it....

Only if they are starving.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, scratch that.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard it's right up there with Aoumom. Some where between a goat and sheep but not fit for tablefare.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin). I've culled and killed over 100 of the darn things, tried them every conceivable way I can think of, and I think it's still the worst thing I've ever eaten.

If you have a chance though, a spot and stalk free range aoudad is an absolute blast to hunt.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin). I've culled and killed over 100 of the darn things, tried them every conceivable way I can think of, and I think it's still the worst thing I've ever eaten.

If you have a chance though, a spot and stalk free range aoudad is an absolute blast to hunt.

I'm sure it is, but I ain't putting that kind of effort into hunting something I can't eat. Auodad is off the list. That helps (some) in determining "next".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Javelina?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nilgai if your worried bout eats followed by axis.....though aoudad is about highest on my list even figuring the meat prolly aint coming back

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Well, geedub always comes along and corrects me over this..(wondering if he's always liquored up when he tries to eat his sausage recipe though... grin).

Quien Sabe,

as to the liquor part,

[Linked Image]

I must have been a breast fed baby, cause I still like mother's milk. LOL

As to eating aoudad meat........

I have a fellow in Manvel Texas do my jalepeno cheese smoked links....

[Linked Image]

and summer sausage from an aoudad/pork mix

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In fact next time I take a ewe or even a ram I'll take the backstraps and cut some "steak fingers" about 1/2" thick by 1" wide by 3" long, soak them in a teriyaki/Negra Modelo soak for an hour or so, then take a rolling pin and roll out some corn chips, add a Package of Pioneer peppered gravy mix, cayenne pepper, garlic pepper, chili powder and some Slap yo momma'. I'll coat the strips in this mix and deep fry. Chicken-fried Aoudad fingers.

I'd also bet it would make good chili. Take a bunch of chili powder, poblano pepper, bell pepper jalepeno pepper, chipotle pepper, cilantro, garlic, onion, a can of rotel tomatoes and green chili's. Cut the backstrap into chunks like stew meat and cook on low in a crock-pot for 10 to 12 hours. Might just work.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by eh76
Javelina?

I sneak up on a Jave' now and then.....

[Linked Image]

As with Black Bear and Aoudad, I have it made into smoked links.

[Linked Image]

I will admit, that the Javelina is my least favorite.

But look on the bright side, it works great for giving to deadbeats that are always asking for game meat.

Has a tendency to cure them of that malady. LOL

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ate javelina once. Never again. Haven't tried Aoudad, but my hunting buddy cooks it up like Geedubya into steak finger strips, chicken fried with gravy. He swears they are good.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only way to make aoudad taste better is to marinade it in [bleep].

Toby Joe

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
During the rut mature Rams have a distinct odor like all rutting males. Other times the meat is pretty mild. The thing about it is it's tough! One small bite will grow and grow in your mouth!! I'm sure young Rams and younger ewes aren't bad, and if you mix pork with it sausage will be as good as any sausage.

And in our bone pile in Texas the coyotes will leave the sheep. Deer scraps and javelina are gone the next day...

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tried the backstrap off of a ewe once - won't be doing it again under any conceivable conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
4ager- Shoot extra whitetail does for the table. Hunt an auodad for the experience and wall decoration. At least that's my rationale.

Price and time involved. Ain't laying out that much of either for something I can't/won't eat. Just me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figure that'll be the closest I get to hunting a desert bighorn. Not all my hunts are solely grocery runs. Just different strokes.

PS- A mounted 'dad looks sweet as hell!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer

Yep, every "goat like" varmint I've tasted sucks pretty much. That is indeed my rationale and approach to hunting. Table fare is completely secondary although most enjoyable!

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/10/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (260Remguy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,974
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.