Home
Posted By: elkhunternm New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Got a e-mail from New Mexico G & F today stating that the draw results are up.

Good luck fellas!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Now if I can only log in and find out what I got drawn for.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
The site is overloaded...too many folks finding out they didn't draw...

Posted By: tx270 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Got my usual "thank you for playing, please try again next year" Lol
Posted By: tx270 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Now if they would promptly send back my $2400 that would great...
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Yes, site is overloaded. And here is my luck.

I lived in NM for 7 years and drew 1 antelope tag.
I have been back in TX for 4 years and I just drew an antelope tag.
I also drew a ML Deer tag. I don't know if I can take time off to do both hunts.

My wife is going to be pissed.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17

Red a plenty on my page.

Nada.

Hope some of you gents have better drawing luck than me!
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The site is overloaded...too many folks finding out they didn't draw...

Yup,still cannot get on and find out what I drew.
Got an e-mail stating that I drew for deer.
I still can't get onto the site.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That'll work!

No email for me, so I assume that means I didn't get my ibex or Desert sheep tag, yet againfrown
Neither can I.
Posted By: sidepass Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Got an email that we were successful on our late season mule deer hunt. like the 2 week early notification. Good luck all.

That'll work!

No email for me, so I assume that means I didn't get my ibex or Desert sheep tag, yet againfrown
Could be T.

I got another e-mail stating that I drew a cow elk tag. It's been 5 years since my last cow elk tag! smile smile
Drew a javelina tag also.
Geez, you're cleaning house in NM this year.

Going to be a great year for ya!
Yup,all that is left is antelope and I doubt that I drew that tag.

Waiting with crossed fingers for the e-mail on whether or not I drew a antelope tag.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Rifle antelope in the VLA area (!!), 2nd rifle elk in 52. M/L deer in 29. grin
Posted By: ajmorell Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Drew my once-in-a-lifetime Oryx, early Jan on Stallion. Unsuccessful on antelope
Congrats PrimeBeef!
Congrats PrimeBeef!

Thanks! Only took 26 years to draw another goat tag. crazy
I finally got on...all red again.

Oh well. At least I will get my 8 grand back!
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Congrats PrimeBeef!

Schit,that is better than me,only drew one antelope tag here in New Mexico since I've been putting in,sometime around the mid-80's.

Sorry T. frown
Congrats PrimeBeef!

Schit,that is better than me,only drew one antelope tag here in New Mexico since I've been putting in,sometime around the mid-80's.

Sorry T. frown

Yep. And we probably know of folks who draw antelope regularly. Successive years even. Go figure.
Well,finally got online and just what I expected,no antelope tag.

PB,that is true.

Now I've got to figure out which rifles will be going on these hunts. smile
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Lots of red for my bunch.

Javelina and 3rd choice deer.
Javelina! grin
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Laffin', even I can draw that tag.
Maybe even Tinyman can draw one of those javelina tags. whistle laugh
Posted By: hunting1 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

Red a plenty on my page.

Nada.

Hope some of you gents have better drawing luck than me!

We drew the same tags! Big goose egg for me this year, was on suicide watch for the hour after but now i'm planning plan B. Congrats to those who drew!
Posted By: ggarcia85 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
I went one out of six drawing my third choice deer. I guess it's time to get the boat ready for fishing
Maybe even Tinyman can draw one of those javelina tags. whistle laugh

I tried putting in for the Jav tag this year, but remember I tried it after 5 PM (or whatever time it closes) on the last day?

That sucked.

So far, I am 1 for 9 tags...but still have Montana, Wyoming and Idaho to hope for.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Coues deer again for me !
That's all I put in for.
Wait til Jon Graham gets on here, and tells what they drew !!
Posted By: CCCC Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Rats - was all ready to get back into the big flow this year, but ZERO on elk, antelope, oryx, and barbary sheep. So, the one drawn will have to be great - mule deer.
Posted By: Bella1 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
I'm in the same boat as Hunting 1. Everybody. Was watching me. , 7 RED boxes ! Huntin's going to be expensive this year!
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Afternoon folks. Hope your day is going as well as mine has been. I got great news this morning when I found out that I drew a McGreagor Range Oryx tag and a primitive muzzleloader tag in unit 9.

The news got even better though. When i logged onto my wife's account it was GREEEN. Fra Cristobal mountains DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP, a Valles Caldera first rifle cow hunt and a unit 38 Rifle tag.

I'm without words on how excited I am to be able to chase sheep with her. Since we have 2 month old baby Cullen in the house, my mother is going to fly out for the sheep hunt. The elk and deer hunts may just be a weekend ride in the truck.

I'm still tingling from the excitement. New Mexico truly has the best system in the west.
Posted By: 805 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Congrats to everyone who drew!!

JM- Amazing year it's gonna be!! Expecting lots of pictures!
Congrats to your wife Jon!
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17

Depending on what ranch you get assigned to, that pronghorn hunt has the potential to give you the buck of several lifetimes. Way better than any CO tag that you could be chasing.

-Jon
Posted By: ggarcia85 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Congrats to your wife on the sheep hunt. I will be chasing deer with a bow in 34
Posted By: mudhen Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Nada for me--but I didn't apply for anything but first choice hunts. Was sorta hoping I might finally get a desert bighorn tag, but no dice... frown
Posted By: colorado bob Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
no Gila elk tag here. Thinking about giving up on NM
Posted By: HRstretch Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/12/17
Mule deer Unit 30 Oct 28-Nov 1. I am blessed.
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Depending on what ranch you get assigned to, that pronghorn hunt has the potential to give you the buck of several lifetimes. Way better than any CO tag that you could be chasing.

-Jon

You are right about that, my friend.

Congrats on the draw. You'll be busy this fall!
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Unlucky on my draws, At least I'll get my 4300.00 dollars back
Posted By: jaguartx Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Afternoon folks. Hope your day is going as well as mine has been. I got great news this morning when I found out that I drew a McGreagor Range Oryx tag and a primitive muzzleloader tag in unit 9.

The news got even better though. When i logged onto my wife's account it was GREEEN. Fra Cristobal mountains DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP, a Valles Caldera first rifle cow hunt and a unit 38 Rifle tag.

I'm without words on how excited I am to be able to chase sheep with her. Since we have 2 month old baby Cullen in the house, my mother is going to fly out for the sheep hunt. The elk and deer hunts may just be a weekend ride in the truck.

I'm still tingling from the excitement. New Mexico truly has the best system in the west.

I dont know about that. Everyone can get a few venisons every year in Texas, even nonresidents. wink

I can hunt muleys for weeks every year and whitetails for months.
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I dont know about that. Everyone can get a few venisons every year in Texas, even nonresidents. wink

I can hunt muleys for weeks every year and whitetails for months.

If you can afford the lease. How many times have you hunted a Mule Deer on public land in TX?

I'm talking about states that have drawings. Point systems suck and making it difficult for kids or adult onset hunters to get into it.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Idaho has both general tags and a random draw system. A guy can kill 2 deer, 2 elk and an archery antelope every year there, while still putting in for the draws for the really good areas.

I've been putting in for New Mexico since I was 14 years old...23 years now. I have yet to be drawn for anything there. Granted, I put in for the good tags normally, but not always.

While I agree that random draw systems are "better", I wouldn't say that New Mexico has the best system in the west. The ranch "assignment" system for antelope is completely screwed up from everything I have heard.
Personally, I like Montana's bonus point system...while those with the most points statistically have the best odds of drawing a premium tag, even those with 0 points have a chance.

Wyoming's got a very confusing system, but for residents all but sheep and moose are random draw. They also have some tags allocated specifically towards random draw sheep and moose tags, but those tags are really hard to get.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Have you tried buying one of the leftover tags in June?
Some years I have tried it, but they're allocated to residents aren't they? The tags I am interested in have always been been gone by the time I got online, but admittedly I have only tried a few times over the years.

I have not tried to pick up any leftover mediocre quality tags, as I have always had plenty of tags in other states to concentrate on.
Probably should add that my feelers are not hurt, as NM is expensive if you do actually draw a tag...but that cost also keeps a lot of folks from applying, which increases odds. They're still absolutely terrible odds for the better hunts though.

There's ups and downs to every state's system.
Posted By: SLM Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
The entire LO authorization system is screwed up.

You NR's can blame not being able to apply for cow hunts on the system.

The ranch "assignment" system for antelope is completely screwed up from everything I have heard.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
Some years I have tried it, but they're allocated to residents aren't they? The tags I am interested in have always been been gone by the time I got online, but admittedly I have only tried a few times over the years.

I have not tried to pick up any leftover mediocre quality tags, as I have always had plenty of tags in other states to concentrate on.
Some may be,but for the most part it is worth a try. You do have to be quick!

NM G&F will send you an e-mail when the tags go on sale and which units they are for. Mostly the tags are archery and muzzleloader. If you are real quick,you can even get a stinkpig tag. grin
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/13/17
non residents have to wait 24 hours to buy one of the left over tags. The first day its only open to residents. Same with the youth encouragement cow elk tags.

I agree T Inman on the A-Plus system, but in the north east portion of the state (and ONLY that portion of the state) I cannot think of any other system that would work to incentivize the landowners to keep the water on for the antelope through the year.

I'd love to have OTC options in the state, but there just isn't enough animals to support it. I think this state has the best system for the public draw, not overall game management. Everyone has a CHANCE at the golden ticket.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/14/17
I grew up in NM and had excellent luck for years ad years. Seems like its getting worse and worse as the years go on.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/14/17
non residents have to wait 24 hours to buy one of the left over tags. The first day its only open to residents. Same with the youth encouragement cow elk tags.

I agree T Inman on the A-Plus system, but in the north east portion of the state (and ONLY that portion of the state) I cannot think of any other system that would work to incentivize the landowners to keep the water on for the antelope through the year.

I'd love to have OTC options in the state, but there just isn't enough animals to support it. I think this state has the best system for the public draw, not overall game management. Everyone has a CHANCE at the golden ticket.
Way back in the 70's bull elk tags were OTC. Also a deer license came with bear and turkey tags and that was OTC too. Antelope was a draw as was oryx,ibex,sheep and barbary sheep.

The good ol' days.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/15/17
Both my hunting buddy and I were unsuccessful for antelope. This is the third time I've struck out on the NM draw (twice for elk) and probably won't bother again.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/16/17
I got real lucky and drew an outfitter Unit 2 rifle tag, I hate to say it but it was the first time I applied in New Mexico.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: New Mexico Draw - 04/20/17
when do the refunds go out?
© 24hourcampfire