-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nada for me--but I didn't apply for anything but first choice hunts. Was sorta hoping I might finally get a desert bighorn tag, but no dice... frown

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
no Gila elk tag here. Thinking about giving up on NM

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Mule deer Unit 30 Oct 28-Nov 1. I am blessed.

Founding member of the 7MM STW Club
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Rifle antelope in the VLA area (!!), 2nd rifle elk in 52. M/L deer in 29. grin

Depending on what ranch you get assigned to, that pronghorn hunt has the potential to give you the buck of several lifetimes. Way better than any CO tag that you could be chasing.

-Jon

You are right about that, my friend.

Congrats on the draw. You'll be busy this fall!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Unlucky on my draws, At least I'll get my 4300.00 dollars back

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Afternoon folks. Hope your day is going as well as mine has been. I got great news this morning when I found out that I drew a McGreagor Range Oryx tag and a primitive muzzleloader tag in unit 9.

The news got even better though. When i logged onto my wife's account it was GREEEN. Fra Cristobal mountains DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP, a Valles Caldera first rifle cow hunt and a unit 38 Rifle tag.

I'm without words on how excited I am to be able to chase sheep with her. Since we have 2 month old baby Cullen in the house, my mother is going to fly out for the sheep hunt. The elk and deer hunts may just be a weekend ride in the truck.

I'm still tingling from the excitement. New Mexico truly has the best system in the west.

I dont know about that. Everyone can get a few venisons every year in Texas, even nonresidents. wink

I can hunt muleys for weeks every year and whitetails for months.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/13/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I dont know about that. Everyone can get a few venisons every year in Texas, even nonresidents. wink

I can hunt muleys for weeks every year and whitetails for months.

If you can afford the lease. How many times have you hunted a Mule Deer on public land in TX?

I'm talking about states that have drawings. Point systems suck and making it difficult for kids or adult onset hunters to get into it.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho has both general tags and a random draw system. A guy can kill 2 deer, 2 elk and an archery antelope every year there, while still putting in for the draws for the really good areas.

I've been putting in for New Mexico since I was 14 years old...23 years now. I have yet to be drawn for anything there. Granted, I put in for the good tags normally, but not always.

While I agree that random draw systems are "better", I wouldn't say that New Mexico has the best system in the west. The ranch "assignment" system for antelope is completely screwed up from everything I have heard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I like Montana's bonus point system...while those with the most points statistically have the best odds of drawing a premium tag, even those with 0 points have a chance.

Wyoming's got a very confusing system, but for residents all but sheep and moose are random draw. They also have some tags allocated specifically towards random draw sheep and moose tags, but those tags are really hard to get.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you tried buying one of the leftover tags in June?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some years I have tried it, but they're allocated to residents aren't they? The tags I am interested in have always been been gone by the time I got online, but admittedly I have only tried a few times over the years.

I have not tried to pick up any leftover mediocre quality tags, as I have always had plenty of tags in other states to concentrate on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably should add that my feelers are not hurt, as NM is expensive if you do actually draw a tag...but that cost also keeps a lot of folks from applying, which increases odds. They're still absolutely terrible odds for the better hunts though.

There's ups and downs to every state's system.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The entire LO authorization system is screwed up.

You NR's can blame not being able to apply for cow hunts on the system.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
The ranch "assignment" system for antelope is completely screwed up from everything I have heard.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Some years I have tried it, but they're allocated to residents aren't they? The tags I am interested in have always been been gone by the time I got online, but admittedly I have only tried a few times over the years.

I have not tried to pick up any leftover mediocre quality tags, as I have always had plenty of tags in other states to concentrate on.
Some may be,but for the most part it is worth a try. You do have to be quick!

NM G&F will send you an e-mail when the tags go on sale and which units they are for. Mostly the tags are archery and muzzleloader. If you are real quick,you can even get a stinkpig tag. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
non residents have to wait 24 hours to buy one of the left over tags. The first day its only open to residents. Same with the youth encouragement cow elk tags.

I agree T Inman on the A-Plus system, but in the north east portion of the state (and ONLY that portion of the state) I cannot think of any other system that would work to incentivize the landowners to keep the water on for the antelope through the year.

I'd love to have OTC options in the state, but there just isn't enough animals to support it. I think this state has the best system for the public draw, not overall game management. Everyone has a CHANCE at the golden ticket.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up in NM and had excellent luck for years ad years. Seems like its getting worse and worse as the years go on.

E
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
E
non residents have to wait 24 hours to buy one of the left over tags. The first day its only open to residents. Same with the youth encouragement cow elk tags.

I agree T Inman on the A-Plus system, but in the north east portion of the state (and ONLY that portion of the state) I cannot think of any other system that would work to incentivize the landowners to keep the water on for the antelope through the year.

I'd love to have OTC options in the state, but there just isn't enough animals to support it. I think this state has the best system for the public draw, not overall game management. Everyone has a CHANCE at the golden ticket.
Way back in the 70's bull elk tags were OTC. Also a deer license came with bear and turkey tags and that was OTC too. Antelope was a draw as was oryx,ibex,sheep and barbary sheep.

The good ol' days.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both my hunting buddy and I were unsuccessful for antelope. This is the third time I've struck out on the NM draw (twice for elk) and probably won't bother again.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got real lucky and drew an outfitter Unit 2 rifle tag, I hate to say it but it was the first time I applied in New Mexico.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when do the refunds go out?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 204guy, 1lessdog, 20 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,447
Posts18,507,903
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.