Home
Does anyone use a double rifle as their general big game gun? They pose a bit of a handicap when compared with a modern big game magazine gun, and they're heavy in comparison to a quality single shot rifle. I put them somewhere between black powder hunting and modern high power rifle hunting.

I'm going to use one for deer this fall in a heavy timbered area in NW Montana for the joy of the gun in my hands. My NV deer will be with a light carry far-shooter HP rifle and scope.

If anyone here uses a DR here I'd like to hear how you do and what you use.
I'm with you! I just bought a Merkel 140 double in 308 Winchester, of all things. My intent was to get a double that was cheap to shoot A LOT, and without big recoil, to refine my skills with open sights again. I'll use it for local Whitetail hunts, targets, and just for fun. The older Merkels, in addition to being chopper lump design, had a blade front sight and notch rear, like a handgun, and I much prefer that to a round bead for accurate shooting. I can put 6 shots from my 4" Ruger revolver into 5-6" at 100 yards off a rest, so the Merkel should be better with the longer sighting plane. African hunting is my true passion; I've been 16 times, so this will keep me sharp for future hunts.
Don't forget about gunner500's famous .303 double gun.

DF
That part of MT is pretty thick timber. Sure you would not be too hampered by a double. I know a guy back in Upper MI where I am from that uses a Baikal combo gun 12ga/30-06 to hunt deer. Seems to work well for him.
BW, I hunt with a drilling a bit in MT; love those grouse as much as deer.

Dirt, I had forgotten he uses the 303. It's a great light DR round, IMO. Classic!

Biebs, in 308? What were you thinking? grin Actually, I can get on board with that. I used Valmets in 308/308 and 12/308 for several years and loved the combinations and DR set. I still use a 300 series Valmet in 12/308.

I'm off now to brew up some magic 8X57J ammo and have 196gr RN bullets in Hawk and Norma, 180s in old DKTs, and 170s in old stock Hornadys.
I used to own a Rigby double made in 1912 chambered for the 350 Rigby #2. It would put 6 rounds, 3 from each barrel, into 1.5 inches at 50 yards over open sights.
I have often thought it would be at home in the woods here in the US, but was sold because it really didn't seem to be a very practical hunting rifles in today;s world.

John
I've coveted a double in a medium 30, like a 308 or 30-40 Krag, shooting heavy cast bullets, for a long time. Seems like too much fun! Of late, I've thought a double in 35 Whelen with 280-300gr cast bullets would be awesome for timber hunting elk and other large game. Decisive for snap raking shots.

My brother inherited a 28 gauge side-by-side from my father, and worked up a double ball load with it. Shoots to the bead at 50 yds, and .5L water bottles are always struck by at least one ball out of the two. It seems to get iffy beyond about 65 or 70 yds. I keep trying to talk him into carrying it in the timber for a meat buck. Too much stuff to test on game, but the same scoped rifles get carried over and over for fear of happening onto a long shot at something big.
Bump to a cool thread.
Would be a good way to stay practiced up for a Safari hunt!

I'm all for new experiences, so if I had the chance to own one and hunt with it, I definitely would.

-jake
Sir, I grew up learning to hunt with a savage model 24, which is also a double gun. (Shotgun/rifle) and personally, I love 'em. I have taken several deer with it and deer slugs. Not quite what you are asking, but one or two shots is enough. Shot placement trumps capacity.
I don't use and have never held a double rifle. But I could easily see me hunting the rest of my life with a merkel single...
And I've never had one of those in my hands either. May be talking thru my hat...

And if talking thru my hat, I think I'd look really cool in one of those little alps caps with the feather... grin
if there was a good quality double under 2 grand... i probably would buy it and hunt with it quite a bit.

I would love to hunt africa but probably won't, still doesn't change my desire to have a double rifle for the "fun" factor
I have a Heym 500 BPE complete with external hammers and a Jones underlever. 30 grains of Trail Boss and a 365gr cast bullet is a pleasant load to shoot and I can consistently hit a 6 inch bulls eye at 50 yards. I have hunted with it but so far no blood frown
Although i mostly hunt with my drillings for regular firearms seasons, i've killed a couple whitetails with a Chapuis in 9.3x74r. It exceeds the 'use enough gun' axiom, but you get great penetration and don't have any long blood trails. Never needed the second barrel. I carry it for black nears, but they fear it, so don't get near it.
Bfly
I probably will not live long enough to do it. But I'd love to.

My dream double would be a light weight 9.3X74R with range adjustable peep sight that zeros from 100 to 300 yards, 2 MOA shooter, built on a small frame with 22" barrels that weighs in at 8.5 to 8.75 pounds.

I had a man who was gong to trade me such a gun for one of my high-end Flintlock rifles, but he got sick and had to sell his doubles to pay medical bills.

So I think my dreams may be as close as I'll ever get.
But it's a nice dream.
I have hunted some with my Thieme-Schlegelmilch 9.3x74R side-by-side, which weighs an ounce over 8 pounds. Unfortunately have not run into an animal I wanted to shoot (or was legal) when carrying it, but it will keep 286 Nosler Partitions in 6 inches at 200, using the integral flip-up tang sight on the top of the grip. Probably should take it out again this spring for black bear.

Also have an over-under .30-40 Krag double, built by an unknown gunsmith on a Ruger Red Label frame. It took a while to get running right, in fact just got it done recently, with 180 Hornady Spire Point and 48.0 grains of H4350, muzzle velocity about 2400. Have taken game with other .30-40's and the same basic load, so know it works. It has a 4x scope, so would be good for dimmer light and, possibly, longer ranges.
I'd like to have one in 45-70.
For a time I had a CG Bonehill SxS .303. I wish I still did. At the same time I had a Griffin and Howe - customized / engraved 7x57 Mauser bolt with the nicest wood I've ever seen ... ever. Both shot fairly well. Gone. Bills had to be paid. frown

If I still had either, I'd happily punt all other centerfire hunting rifles and hunt them to the end of my days.

Tom
I have take hogs and Nilgai with my Simson .405 WCF.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It does encourage the hunter to get in close and that adds spice to the hunt.
Very nice. I would like to hunt with a Classic Double but the closest I have come is with a Kodiak muzzle loader. I grew up shooting SxS shotguns so the transition would be easy for me. They are very practical for heavy cover and the panache and aplomb is off the charts. Nice rifle CRS.
Tejano,

Thank you for the compliment on the rifle. Fortunately, it shoots as good as it looks. 50 yard regulation target below:

[Linked Image]

You are correct WRT smooth transition from double guns to double rifles. I grew up shooting a Parker 20 and my primary shotguns are 20 and 12 Parker repros.
This Simson double rifle comes up just like my Parker 12 and is dead on - tang safety, double triggers, all good. hardly need the sights.
The scope is for longer distances and I used it on the Nilgai while recovering from an operation on my shooting eye.
Very nice.
I love Parker shotguns esp the small bores. The reproductions are as good a SXS for the money as anything there is.
I have never held or seen a double rifle. Wouldn't mind having one, if someone else bought it for me! Only think I think I'd do with one is tell people I have one. I've read that the barrels are set so that at some distance the bullet's cross, not sure how that work's. At one time I really had the hot's for a Ruger #1 but that wish is gone! I like my both action's and push come's to shove, they are what I'd grab. Got to admit though, that double shown here is one beautiful gun!
I've convinced myself that a double in .44 special would the perfect pig gun, now just to save up to have one built

At one point I had to have a double rifle and the fact I had no practical use for it mitigated me spending more than I did. Still a mid-grade Chapuis even in 9.3x74 (but with a wood upgrade) thins the wallet pretty good.

For me the 9.3 is one of the neatest cartridges going, tall, slim; gracefull like a ballerina — until you send a 286-gr Oryx downrange from a double of about proper 28 gauge heft.

At a time of life when bespectacled eyes were already feuding with open sights I could just get orange-sized four-shot groups at 100 yds but I was satisfied. It took it to Nebraska and neatly double-tapped a nine hundred pound, buffalo heifer at about a 100 yds running broadside to me. While my first shot was right on and enough, I had to send a second of course, and that one went a bit back.

If one wanted to haunt the whitetail woods or timber for elk with a double rifle, a 9.3x74 would be a good choice and mine. It might be thought of as the slightly slimmer, more delicate brother of the 375 H&H with even more of the 375’s good manners, which is not a bad thing at all in a light, beautifully made rifle.

Great fun. Nice guns. A dandy cartridge. And the meat was good too.
The 9.3x74 cartridge is down right sexy. Wanted one in a drilling or double but practicality and budgets overruled this. I saw a "pilots" version military issue survival rifle that I could have swung for but was gone by the time I made up my mind. Also ammo was pretty scarce at that time.

I have always thought the Kodiak double muzzle loader would be a great hog rifle if using black powder. There are usually chances at a double and good to have when the pigs run the wrong direction, like when a whole pack thinks it can hide in the smoke from the initial shot.
I use a black powder Pedersoli .50 cal double rifle on deer
I would love a double rifle, but I guess I'll just shoot twice with my bolt gun if I have to..... smile
© 24hourcampfire