Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone use a double rifle as their general big game gun? They pose a bit of a handicap when compared with a modern big game magazine gun, and they're heavy in comparison to a quality single shot rifle. I put them somewhere between black powder hunting and modern high power rifle hunting.

I'm going to use one for deer this fall in a heavy timbered area in NW Montana for the joy of the gun in my hands. My NV deer will be with a light carry far-shooter HP rifle and scope.

If anyone here uses a DR here I'd like to hear how you do and what you use.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm with you! I just bought a Merkel 140 double in 308 Winchester, of all things. My intent was to get a double that was cheap to shoot A LOT, and without big recoil, to refine my skills with open sights again. I'll use it for local Whitetail hunts, targets, and just for fun. The older Merkels, in addition to being chopper lump design, had a blade front sight and notch rear, like a handgun, and I much prefer that to a round bead for accurate shooting. I can put 6 shots from my 4" Ruger revolver into 5-6" at 100 yards off a rest, so the Merkel should be better with the longer sighting plane. African hunting is my true passion; I've been 16 times, so this will keep me sharp for future hunts.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't forget about gunner500's famous .303 double gun.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That part of MT is pretty thick timber. Sure you would not be too hampered by a double. I know a guy back in Upper MI where I am from that uses a Baikal combo gun 12ga/30-06 to hunt deer. Seems to work well for him.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BW, I hunt with a drilling a bit in MT; love those grouse as much as deer.

Dirt, I had forgotten he uses the 303. It's a great light DR round, IMO. Classic!

Biebs, in 308? What were you thinking? grin Actually, I can get on board with that. I used Valmets in 308/308 and 12/308 for several years and loved the combinations and DR set. I still use a 300 series Valmet in 12/308.

I'm off now to brew up some magic 8X57J ammo and have 196gr RN bullets in Hawk and Norma, 180s in old DKTs, and 170s in old stock Hornadys.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used to own a Rigby double made in 1912 chambered for the 350 Rigby #2. It would put 6 rounds, 3 from each barrel, into 1.5 inches at 50 yards over open sights.
I have often thought it would be at home in the woods here in the US, but was sold because it really didn't seem to be a very practical hunting rifles in today;s world.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've coveted a double in a medium 30, like a 308 or 30-40 Krag, shooting heavy cast bullets, for a long time. Seems like too much fun! Of late, I've thought a double in 35 Whelen with 280-300gr cast bullets would be awesome for timber hunting elk and other large game. Decisive for snap raking shots.

My brother inherited a 28 gauge side-by-side from my father, and worked up a double ball load with it. Shoots to the bead at 50 yds, and .5L water bottles are always struck by at least one ball out of the two. It seems to get iffy beyond about 65 or 70 yds. I keep trying to talk him into carrying it in the timber for a meat buck. Too much stuff to test on game, but the same scoped rifles get carried over and over for fear of happening onto a long shot at something big.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bump to a cool thread.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Would be a good way to stay practiced up for a Safari hunt!

I'm all for new experiences, so if I had the chance to own one and hunt with it, I definitely would.

-jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sir, I grew up learning to hunt with a savage model 24, which is also a double gun. (Shotgun/rifle) and personally, I love 'em. I have taken several deer with it and deer slugs. Not quite what you are asking, but one or two shots is enough. Shot placement trumps capacity.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't use and have never held a double rifle. But I could easily see me hunting the rest of my life with a merkel single...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And I've never had one of those in my hands either. May be talking thru my hat...

And if talking thru my hat, I think I'd look really cool in one of those little alps caps with the feather... grin

Last edited by johnw; 04/10/18.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
if there was a good quality double under 2 grand... i probably would buy it and hunt with it quite a bit.

I would love to hunt africa but probably won't, still doesn't change my desire to have a double rifle for the "fun" factor

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a Heym 500 BPE complete with external hammers and a Jones underlever. 30 grains of Trail Boss and a 365gr cast bullet is a pleasant load to shoot and I can consistently hit a 6 inch bulls eye at 50 yards. I have hunted with it but so far no blood frown

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Although i mostly hunt with my drillings for regular firearms seasons, i've killed a couple whitetails with a Chapuis in 9.3x74r. It exceeds the 'use enough gun' axiom, but you get great penetration and don't have any long blood trails. Never needed the second barrel. I carry it for black nears, but they fear it, so don't get near it.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I probably will not live long enough to do it. But I'd love to.

My dream double would be a light weight 9.3X74R with range adjustable peep sight that zeros from 100 to 300 yards, 2 MOA shooter, built on a small frame with 22" barrels that weighs in at 8.5 to 8.75 pounds.

I had a man who was gong to trade me such a gun for one of my high-end Flintlock rifles, but he got sick and had to sell his doubles to pay medical bills.

So I think my dreams may be as close as I'll ever get.
But it's a nice dream.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have hunted some with my Thieme-Schlegelmilch 9.3x74R side-by-side, which weighs an ounce over 8 pounds. Unfortunately have not run into an animal I wanted to shoot (or was legal) when carrying it, but it will keep 286 Nosler Partitions in 6 inches at 200, using the integral flip-up tang sight on the top of the grip. Probably should take it out again this spring for black bear.

Also have an over-under .30-40 Krag double, built by an unknown gunsmith on a Ruger Red Label frame. It took a while to get running right, in fact just got it done recently, with 180 Hornady Spire Point and 48.0 grains of H4350, muzzle velocity about 2400. Have taken game with other .30-40's and the same basic load, so know it works. It has a 4x scope, so would be good for dimmer light and, possibly, longer ranges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to have one in 45-70.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For a time I had a CG Bonehill SxS .303. I wish I still did. At the same time I had a Griffin and Howe - customized / engraved 7x57 Mauser bolt with the nicest wood I've ever seen ... ever. Both shot fairly well. Gone. Bills had to be paid. frown

If I still had either, I'd happily punt all other centerfire hunting rifles and hunt them to the end of my days.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have take hogs and Nilgai with my Simson .405 WCF.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It does encourage the hunter to get in close and that adds spice to the hunt.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.