Home
Posted By: ol_mike Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
Saw a couple of video's beaver hunting , we don't have many down my way but I want to try and hunt them .

Anybody here hunt them on a regular basis ?

I hear they're good to eat - some are bigger than the deer we have down here .

What method/gun etc. do you use ?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
17 hmr rocks....
Posted By: pete53 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
that`s not the kinda beaver I used to hunt !
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
Used a 22-250 on a few that were plugging the pipe on my father in laws lake, it worked pretty good.

22LR, Mag or 17HMR work as well.

Ate one a guy smoked one time, won't be trying it anytime soon.
Posted By: wageslave Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
I learned alot here....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7463323/1
Posted By: pete53 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/14/18
the way we shot beavers was at nite with a spot lite and a 22 mag out of a canoe.beavers at nite are not at all spooky
Posted By: 44mc Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
their is beaver on i10 between tallahassee and the def springs
Posted By: 1minute Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
Gave it up when I got married. There is something, however, that makes them come out on summer white water rafting trips.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
Originally Posted by wageslave

I forgot about that thread - funny stuff ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by 44mc
their is beaver on i10 between tallahassee and the def springs

Have you seen beaver sign really ?
If so what sign ?

There was a road washed out out past Sand Destin -- 30A area -come to find out beaver undermined the road . There's a hunting area right in that area too - there are hunting areas all but on the beach in some places around here .

17hmr is illegal for anything here - not even small game - private land is ok though - Florida sux .
Posted By: hanco Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
They had nice beavers at the Chicken Ranch in LaGrange. Until Marvin Zindler shut it down!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
There is some beavers on my east Texas deer lease. They have made a good size lake.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
The wood chippers actually taste pretty good. Just make sure you cook them thoroughly, like other rodents they can carryTularemia. I haven't ever hunted them but have an old family friend that would hunt them from his kayak. He used a 22-250. Don't know if he ate any but was known to bury a carcass under the snow in winter a 100yrds out from his cabin. He'd sit on his deck drinking coffee and wait for the coyotes to come around.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
ol mike . went to eavergreen alabama in 09 an 10 in jan 78910 for a hunt seen beaver dens on the side of i 10 with cut trees and rippels on the ponds. did not know what it was tell we stop at a gun shop in definick springs spelled wrong .sorry .beavers where in earvergreen al and nor west fla keep on the look out mc44
Posted By: TheKid Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
We shoot every one of the big toothed bastards we see around here. Constantly ruining ponds and leaving punji stakes around. I’ve killed a ton of them with 22lr but I’ve used whatever else I had around too.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
So many jokes, so little time......
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
If it's legal in your area, punch a hole in the dam. Find an active dam with a lodge in the pond. Punch a hole in the damn and when they see the water go down they will come right up to the hole in the dam.

Not legal in many places though so check first.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
Don't like my beavers to have those big buck teef, feller could get hurt.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
They are easy to trap. Not trap shy at all. Hard to hold though they are big and strong. Not unusual for them to weigh 60 pounds or more here. I use to nuisance trap them for people.
I've tried breaking the dam and shooting them when they come to fix it, It doesn't always work.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
Never considered shooting them, though they used to be worth more than they are now. Most these days are shaved. whistle
Posted By: milespatton Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
I remember reading one time that they liked, and would come to, the smell of one of those rub on joint medicines. "Icee Hot" or some such. Let the smell blow out over the water and wait. Never tried it myself. miles
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
I never tried roofies on beaver, either.....
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
A really good tip if you are going to trap them with footholds, carry in empty sandbags and fill them with rocks on site (if there are any) for the slide wires. My old boss and I trapped some beavers that were a 2 mile hike in and he was packing in 50lb dumbells until I showed him that trick. Made the hike a whole lot easier.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/15/18
Here [FL.] we can only snare and use cage traps going to trap heavy next year - injured last summer - didn't get to do much of anything hunting/trapping .

I'll keep the tips in mind - well some of them anyway . smile
Posted By: hanco Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
Some beavers have more hair than others!!!!
Posted By: hanco Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
Some are bald!!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
Interesting ..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
A 40gr Vmax at 3900fps will really unzip them.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
Ive been trying to kill these things everytime I go back to the family farm to visit...
One summer my dad and I shot 25 over three weekends and would see bears come to the pond to eat the carcasses.

Heres what I learned::

22 lr works better when they are out of the water. The body bouncy really takes energy out of the hit so get more energy.
22 mag or bigger works much better.
12 gauge buckshot looks cool when you see the balls skip on the water. I aim slightly low to use the skipping feature as a "cut off the top" function.
Get as high up above the water to make a bigger target and better kil shooting down on them. I erect a portable ladder stand near the pond edge to get above them.
Dont put the ladder stand on a tree they will eat!!!
Opening a hole in the dam really brings them in. Open it early in the morning if you want to drain water because it seems like they only work at night.

Finally.. you can sit there getting chewed up by bugs and have a big grin when you smoke them... but I'm going to start doing weekend connibear sets too.

I hate them enough that I have dedicated beaver guns.

Favorite... savage 24 in 12 ga and 223. Oh baby...
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/16/18
One thing I know for sure, beavers are impressed by big bores. Over penetration can be an issue though, so be careful.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/17/18
Does blue tape scare them?
Posted By: Teeder Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/19/18
This thread is worthless without pictures!
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/20/18
Any accurate high velocity rifle/cartridge and lots of tannerite

Posted By: hotsoup Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/20/18
i shoot them here on the farm because they build dams which flood some of my timber. i set up a ladder stand near a dam, dig a 2-3ft. hole in said dam around first light, and let the water drain all day. before sundown i set up a spotlight attached to a car battery, shining in front of the hole i made that morning. beaver often show up about 30 minutes to 1 hr after full dark. they aren't usually afraid of the light as long as it isn't moving. i shoot them using a 12ga and #1 buck. have often killed 2-4 in one sitting. another place on the farm has a large ditch from an adjoining farm. about 4 years ago i shot 13 coming up the ditch in 3 hours. local warden has given me a depredation permit so i shoot them usually at night. 17hmr, 22lr, 223 have all worked for me but 12ga works best for me.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/20/18
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Interesting ..

This is damn near a yearly problem growing rice near a river. The easiest way I found to catch them in the south is with a 330 conibear. Just find where they have a ditch dammed up. Dig a ditch through the top of the dam just wide enough to get your trap in and deep enough that they can hear water running down the backside of the dam. Funnel them into it with sticks stuck in the dam and don't forget the top of the trap to keep them going over the top. You'll get damn near one a day until they leave or you kill them all.

I never snared one this way but if that's what I had to use, this is how I'd start. You'll catch a otter every now and then doing this so if that's a problem, you've been warned grin
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/20/18
Never shot beaver but have "stuffed" a few!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/21/18
I have shot quite a few nuisance beaver. I've used .22 lr, .22 mag., .25-20, 10 mm auto and .44 magnum. Maybe a few others I've forgotten. They all work, like anything else you shoot, it's not so much what you use, it's how you use it.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Beaver hunting .. - 02/21/18
The .222 was real popular for shooting beavers in my area...
© 24hourcampfire