Home
I am 46 now but have decades of hunting experience, which is hard to believe. Anyways, some of the things that I found out the hard way.

You can never spend too much money on your boots.

The importance of having a quality set of binoculars.

Be worried about going down a mountain for the day, when spike camp is at the top.

Packing out an elk without horses is horrible, and may very well kill or maim you.

Never tell a guide about his business, even in jest.

Just like the military, you cannot neglect your feet. When stopping from a big hike, change your socks.

A compass always works and must be carried. Electronics fail. Know where you are on a map that is maintained in your pack.

Hunt as much as you can. You can never hunt too much with family and friends.

Others??

RAS
Good stuff!
Everything you wrote is spot on, but especially don't neglect your feet. The only other thing I can add is protect those compasses.
Too damned many to remember, much less list! eek
Hunt while you still can. Worry about the money later in life. You don't want to be laying in the hospital bed, with wires and cables sticking out of you, saying, " I wish I would have...".

If you have a dream hunt, find a way to do it. Make it happen!!!
As you get older. Your perspective on hunting, changes.
People that enjoy hunting as much we do get fewer and fewer, older friends pass away, other friends lose interest, or just arent serious about it.
Some more compass lessons:

Compasses work, until you break it. Carry two if you're clumsy or in new territory. ( I usually have small one pinned to shirt, larger one in day pack)

Compasses work, unless you're over a shallow iron ore deposit, then they don't! (been there, wandered off course a little, fortunately a narrow deposit). Terrain association is a useful skill!

Compasses work, unless its pinned on the same pocket you have your 2-way radio in, then wants to point to the blasted radio! (or sometime to your rifle barrel if you have it slung on the near shoulder!).

And a non-compass lesson - if you switch between rifles for some reason, double check what ammo your carrying when you leave camp!
Unless you don't care about pockets and sleeves, TP is important.
Originally Posted by bigswede358

R O T F

That’s hilarious and TRUE.

Jerry
I've hunted in the thick Kentucky hills since 1973, with shots usually under 150 yards and where most are under 75. Very different from Western hunting....these are a few things I've learned....

1 .If you are a pasty faced white boy like me, cover your face with something dull or it shines like a beacon in the woods....you will get busted....this means even when wearing hunter's orange..

2. A very sharp ugly 4 inch knife is better than a very fancy, but dull, knife of any length.

3. A quick second shot can save your season....That's why I like lever guns for thick woods where shots are fleeting.

4. Camo doesn't have to be expensive or trendy to work....I use a mix of Army surplus, commercial, and cheap generic
woodland....Deer don't care if it's not on TV.

5. Don't go in the woods unless you have checked your rifle's zero, even if it was OK last season.....and even iron sights.

6. Shoot enough to get confident with your rifle...........there's no substitute for practice.

Below are some real life deer hunting tactics I've found that work for me....

1. Act like you are getting ready to eat a sandwich.....it seems that every time I get discouraged and decide to eat something, a buck will walk right where I was looking before I laid my rifle down and started digging in my pack.

2. Lay you rifle down at least two arms length away from you to attract deer.......see former tip.

3. Walk out of the woods shuffling your feet with an unloaded rifle slung over your back and act despondent.......deer love this and will walk right in front of you....sometimes within sight of your truck or camp.

4. Clang your rifle on the side of the tree stand to see how fast that buck is you didn't hear just on the other side of that darn thicket.

5. Go ahead and scratch your nose.......you ain't going to shoot worth a crap if your nose is itching anyway. It's also another good way to initiate the previous scenario.......that darn thicket..............

Hope these help......
Great lists!!! Apparently, Tom, our Wisconsin deer have been communicating with deer in the Kentucky hills because I've noticed some of the same antics.
A family that hunts and spends times outdoors together sticks together.
Don't pack 1/2 a bull elk out in one trip when it's 4.5 miles out
Enjoy all those little experiences when out on the hunt, it's all about the memories made.
it's good to give up almost any material thing(s) to make a hunt happen...
Now that my kids have all left home they see the value of never really buying red meat, normal is: elk,deer,antelope,fish and grouse.

Forget the TP. A ziploc baggie full of wet wipes is far more useful for wipin' poop, deer guts, etc. I use them to clean my feet after a long hike and maybe a whore's bath if I've worked up a sweat.
I'd rather take 90 minutes of cutting and packing than 45 minutes of dragging or wheeling.

Travis
Never try for the neck shot on a big bull moose!
Shoot 'til they're down.

Get out and hunt, even if you only have half an hour after work.

You only need one good gun to get it done.

A good night's sleep makes for a good day hunting.
Faux hunt. If you live near the critters go find and stalk them w/ your rangefinder and see how close you can get. Gives you great practice in all the essentials except shooting. Glassing, stalking, conditioning plus time on your feet outdoors. Where I live I can carry my rifle and include getting into field positions and dryfiring much of the time.

I like to hike and faux hunting allows me to practice in places and at times that would otherwise be excluded.

mike r

You got that right! Larry the cable guy wasn't the first to rock the sleeveless look.
That fire starting stuff is always in the way and a pain to carry...until you don't have it.

Also, have you tried starting a fire with wet wipes?
Great string with many well advised pointers!
My 2 cents:
Nothing wrong with catching a quick nap while out in the woods. Waking up is always interesting, some times more interesting than others. Further, as you get older, this takes on new meaning.
Always, always, always keep at least a couple rounds of ammo with you.
Did you know 550# test paracord is available with a strip of fire starter built in?
I have given up several days of hunting, including an opener or 2, even a tag or 2, to intro some grandsons to big game hunting. Enjoyed every one of those days immensely. Sincerely hoping I have successfully passed on a tradition that I place a very high value on.
One of the hottest fire starters I've used are these chemical cubes from Walmart. If you get them in sporting goods, a box of 6 is about $6. If you go to the bbq and space heater section, they have the same thing in boxes of 12 for the same price.
If you need a fire, you need it NOW and these will do it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
1) ALWAYS carry two compasses and three ways to make fire. These can be life savers.
2) If you sweat like I do, carry a spare hat or cap.
3) Always hunt with a barrel fouled by at least one shot.
4) A dry pair of socks goes in my pack every time.
5) Make sure someone else knows where you will be hunting. If' I'm alone, I leave a note on the dashboard saying where I'm headed.
6) Check your backtrail. More than one deer has snuck out behind me and watched me leaving an area.
7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, and always try to keep a tree in front of you when you stop. It breaks up your outline, and gives you a rifle rest.
8) When you think it's time to give up, stay at least another 15 minutes.
9) Compasses don't do you any good if you don't know how the road runs you need to walk back to. Always take a reading before setting foot in the woods.
10) If you tend to be fidgety, keep your hands in your pockets. Keeps your hands warmer and you have a higher chance of not getting busted by a deer.
Originally Posted by gophergunner

7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, . . ..

The older I get the easier this is.
Originally Posted by Youper

7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, . . ..

The older I get the easier this is.

Same here.

Guilty. More than a few times.

I don't see a need to take quite as good of care of my feet as some of you all. Wearing the same socks for a few days never has seemed to bother me too much when I am hunting, as long as they're dry in the morning. I don't carry an extra pair in my pack. If my boots are completely soaked (which does happen), then having fresh socks won't make a difference.

As far as things I have learned over the years: the biggest is that if the shot isn't right---don't take it. It is way easier to get back onto an animal another day than blowing a herd out of the area or worse; tracking a poorly hit critter all over hell, and a lot less taxing on your conscience.
Originally Posted by reivertom
I've hunted in the thick Kentucky hills since 1973, with shots usually under 150 yards and where most are under 75. Very different from Western hunting....these are a few things I've learned....

1 .If you are a pasty faced white boy like me, cover your face with something dull or it shines like a beacon in the woods....you will get busted....this means even when wearing hunter's orange..

2. A very sharp ugly 4 inch knife is better than a very fancy, but dull, knife of any length.

3. A quick second shot can save your season....That's why I like lever guns for thick woods where shots are fleeting.

4. Camo doesn't have to be expensive or trendy to work....I use a mix of Army surplus, commercial, and cheap generic
woodland....Deer don't care if it's not on TV.

5. Don't go in the woods unless you have checked your rifle's zero, even if it was OK last season.....and even iron sights.

6. Shoot enough to get confident with your rifle...........there's no substitute for practice.

Below are some real life deer hunting tactics I've found that work for me....

1. Act like you are getting ready to eat a sandwich.....it seems that every time I get discouraged and decide to eat something, a buck will walk right where I was looking before I laid my rifle down and started digging in my pack.

2. Lay you rifle down at least two arms length away from you to attract deer.......see former tip.

3. Walk out of the woods shuffling your feet with an unloaded rifle slung over your back and act despondent.......deer love this and will walk right in front of you....sometimes within sight of your truck or camp.

4. Clang your rifle on the side of the tree stand to see how fast that buck is you didn't hear just on the other side of that darn thicket.

5. Go ahead and scratch your nose.......you ain't going to shoot worth a crap if your nose is itching anyway. It's also another good way to initiate the previous scenario.......that darn thicket..............

Hope these help......

Good list!

I'll take on a couple of things, the white face can bust you, BUT there is plenty of sky, white, blue etc.. in the woods. Don't let it bother you that much. Movement is the key.

A sharp ugly knife.. I don't own one thats 4 inches long anymore. 3 inches maybe. It doesn't take much. My much is havalon piranha, the fastest easiest to sharpen knife ever. Have taken apart more than one moose with it. Including dejointing every last thing.

Quick second shots... if needed, dump the lever, buy an AR of some caliber.... or a 742 or bar etc....

Camo, is not needed.

Other than the good boot/good socks/take care of your feet issue, this might be the best advice ever.

I can’t tell you how many times “just fifteen minutes more” has saved my bacon. The importance of hanging in there and not giving up no matter what can’t be over emphasized.

Never trust a skinny cook or a man who plays the piccolo.

Never get separated from your gear.
That 2" at 100 yards works. I used to fuss over accuracy and shoot the piss out of a given rifle wanting sub-MOA. It is extremely rare that my first handload doesn't run inside 2" and said loads have never caused me to miss.
Stay in position until dark, don't try to get back to camp before dark. Carry a good headlamp, hand held light and spare batteries.

Resist going back to camp mid day, stay in your spot and outlast the other hunters-tough to do sometimes because of cold temps. etc. but can be very productive.

Learn your area and realize what other hunters do, where they typically go and how they hunt so you can capitalize. Animals will do the same.

Never pass on an opportunity to hunt with your father.
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
, don't try to get back to camp before dark.

This part I can't quite agree with on two counts. First, I'm old enough that I'd rather not have gutting jobs in the dark, Second, I'll take my chance on having something to shoot at on the way back.
^^^^^^^^

Yes, I don't have to be in a "stand" to be hunting.

Actually, I don't have any stands.
Never forget the toilet paper!

Never forget your flashlight

Never forget some matches
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
^^^^^^^^

Yes, I don't have to be in a "stand" to be hunting.

Actually, I don't have any stands.

If stand manufacturers had to depend on elk and mulie hunters for sales, they'd go broke in a hurry.
Pigs have better noses than deer!
Study and learn how to take quality field pictures.

And has been mentioned by others, quality time with your kids in the field, is the best time.
7 Rem mag is the best cartridge out there!
In my first year hunting elk. I bumped five cows near the top of a ridge. We all met on top. One cow stopped and looked at me long enough for me to put the crosshairs on her and decide not too shoot. My "young" reasoning.
"This is the first day, and I'll find a bull." Never seen another elk the rest of the season. DON'T PASS UP A LEGAL ANIMAL, Unless you are willing to eat your tag.
Who you hunt with is important too.
Plain old brown Carhartts are better than 99% of the camo out there.
Originally Posted by 30338
Study and learn how to take quality field pictures.

And has been mentioned by others, quality time with your kids in the field, is the best time.

My pard from ID used to annoy me with the amount of time/effort he'd put in to taking pictures. Now I'm that guy. All too often they are the best/only momento from a hunt and a great way to relive it.

Once you have kids this becomes very important!
I'm no expert photographer, but even I can take a decent one with modern digital cameras.
On sunny days, push hats back to get rid of half moon shadows on faces.
Do NOT attempt to make an animal look bigger by standing back or holding it at arms length. It looks fake and fools no one. It cheapens the shot. Your animal is what it is. Show it for what it is.
Look at what's in the background. Moving or turning the animal a bit can sometimes greatly improve the shot.
Get the animal completely in or out of the shadows. The camera can adjust for light or dark but it can't fix a patchwork of light and dark. Get the light even.
Here are a few tips I've picked up over the years for hunting from a blind.

1)
One gun per blind. Any more than that is not safe. AT ALL! One gun..do you really think you'll have a chance to shoot more than one deer at a time anyway? The odds of that happening are about 0.2%. It may happen once in your life. It won't happen twice. It's crazy enough when a deer is sighted while you're on the ground or in a tree stand. In a blind it's amplified because you're all close together....One gun.

2)
Any noise in the blind like a zipper, velcro, a mildly wet fart, or a shoulder touching the side of the blind will be heard for at least 3 counties. The colder it is, the louder they get and may be heard in further counties.

3)
Try as hard as you can to have 2 instead of 3 in a blind. 2 is hard enough. 3's company.

You'll each have super comfy chairs that Goldilocks herself couldn't complain about, lunches, backpacks, space heaters, sleeping bags, 1-3 cases of Steel City Beer, several bags of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, Vaseline, rubber boots, a book of matches, ball gag, tomato paste, a roll of paper towels, a pack or 2 of smokes, crab legs, deer calls, compass, gps, a Bowie knife, 2-5 pocket knives, a skinning knife, a bonning knife, a pearing knife, a switch blade, a lock blade, a drop point knife, a chopping knife, a fillet knife, a buck 501 folding knife, and a spare knife if the others get lost, nun-chucks, throwing stars, hand cuffs, 2 mags, and 3 extra boxes of shells in case it gets real up in here!!

After all that, you guys might be able to get in the blind.

4)
A pee bucket. Or plan to hang it (get as close to the edge of the window for the less gifted) out the window. This is where guessing on the proper amount of clothing to wear becomes VERY important. Too many layers and you're in trouble. Four inches of clothes and 3 inches of wiener... you're getting wet!

Blinds are noisy. Going in and out is noisier yet and add 1 or 2 more people to this and it's a zipper fest. If someone does choose to leave the blind to pee or more importantly, poop, a picture MUST be taken. This is non-negotiable.

Poop and pee pics are standard deer camp practices and this sacred tradition must not be broken. If you are the Pee'r, the proper educate to pose for the picture is to have your dick in one hand (its both hands for me) and give the pic taker the middle finger with the other. If you're the pooper, the pose is double middle fingers. Again, non-negotiable. Make sure you keep your balance for this one. If you're not leaning on a tree or bending over a log, things could get interesting. Remember to check your bibs before you pull them back up.

5)
Wear a hood or hat that is at least somewhat water proof. With the frosty cool November air, and all you hot air, heavy mouth breathing sums of bishes in there... Moisture is going to accumulate on the roof of the blind. This is fine for about 3 drips and then you remember it's someone else's spit. (pass the paper towels) Then you're going to want tear through the roof of the blind, toss your super comfy hunting chair, kick your Tollhouse extra chewy chocolate chip cookies into the air as you scream like a zoo monkey from the Chinese water spit torture that has made your hair and shoulders wet.

6)
This is almost as important as #1. We could have even called it 1a.

The night before the opener, DO NOT eat chili, gas station burritos, canned Vienna sausages, Kraut and polish, smoked salmon, smoked carp, smoked sucker, smoked catfish, smoked sausage, smoked smoke, tuna sub, Grainbelt, Lennie's Oktoberfest, pickled herring, pickled northern, pickled bluegill, pickled walleye, pickled carp, pickled bullhead, pickled spruce grouse, pickled pickles, cabbage soup, garlic bread, or wolf bait.

The foul odor from one of you stinky bastards is bad enough. Can you imagine this all coming out of the top of 3 pairs of blaze orange bibs at the same time? you'll have to add Glade Red Honeysuckle Nectar and Lavender Peach Blossom candles to your gear list.
Originally Posted by tzone

Try as hard as you can to have 2 instead of 3 in a blind. 2 is hard enough. 3's company.

You'll each have super comfy chairs that Goldilocks herself couldn't complain about, lunches, backpacks, space heaters, sleeping bags, 1-3 cases of Steel City Beer, several bags of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies, Vaseline, rubber boots, a book of matches, ball gag, tomato paste, a roll of paper towels, a pack or 2 of smokes, crab legs, deer calls, compass, gps, a Bowie knife, 2-5 pocket knives, a skinning knife, a bonning knife, a pearing knife, a switch blade, a lock blade, a drop point knife, a chopping knife, a fillet knife, a buck 501 folding knife, and a spare knife if the others get lost, nun-chucks, throwing stars, hand cuffs, 2 mags, and 3 extra boxes of shells in case it gets real up in here!!

Freaky.
I now prefer shorter knives, lighter rifles, wool, medium cartridges, simple scopes, an extra snickers bar, a pad or light chair to sit on, shorter shots, simple gear, longer walks vs longer 'sits', longer sunsets....
TP CAN MAKE OR BREAK ANY HUNT!!!!!!
If it’s a hunt or a rifle, take the hunt EVERY time.

Feet ruin far more hunts than anything else.
You guys that mention a change of socks, how many miles would you say prompts that?

In all of my hunting, hikes, walks for fitness or running, I have never needed a change of socks. My feet don’t sweat. I have had sweat run into my shoes but not from my feet.
Originally Posted by djb
I now prefer shorter knives, lighter rifles, wool, medium cartridges, simple scopes, an extra snickers bar, a pad or light chair to sit on, shorter shots, simple gear, longer walks vs longer 'sits', longer sunsets....

This^^^^^^^^^
Saying nothing will stop me from hunting.... Life will throw you curves and bitter pills to swallow. Savor every second out there, like it's your last.
Prep for everything prior to your hunt. including every meal and snack, supplies etc..... Your hunting time is finite, don't dilute it with chores.
Go out in the dark and don't come back till dark. Take whatever equipment you need to be comfortable, be there and make it count.
If you use a GPS, make sure to MARK your starting point and turn it on, that way it knows where the starting point is. Learn how to use it in conjunction with a compass and map.
Have emergency gear with you and be totally self reliant.
Use walking sticks, they will save your knees, offer you balance, especially while climbing or descending. They also can be support for binoculars or rifle, if used right.
Always carry rain gear and be prepared for mother nature.
Have the skill and mindset to spend the night if you have to.
Stay in the shadows, move slower than slow. Don't ignore the wind. Glass supported when you can and for hours.
Learn to process your game fast and safe, with plans to get it out of the field in advance so nothing goes to waste.
If you have to leave downed game overnight, mark your territory or leave a clothing item like an undershirt with plenty of human predator smell to thwart scavengers.
Have an open mind and listen to hunters with experience, there's always room to learn.
Make it a point to stop and talk with the local game meat processor/butcher. They always seem to know where the animals are being taken at, due to the tags on the animal indicating local.
Be smart and safe.
It's a harvest, for my soul as much or more than it is for my freezer.

A sunrise, soft goose feather snow that you wade through silently. It's all beautiful, gods canvas which is wiped clean and changed with some new element to the masterpiece daily. There are smells that lock themselves in your mind. Every outing is a unique scenario. Wind, mist, rain, snow, temperature, terrain, moon phase, cloud cover. The variables are enormous and never exactly the same. There is a lesson in it, every time. The effects of the variables, how does it effect the animals? how differently does sound carry, how effectively does scent carry? There is knowledge to be gained, always. What you learn may never fit again in the future. Not exactly, not like a wrench fits a bolt. The knowledge may partially apply in future scenarios though. Apply as best you can.
Most importantly, don't lose sight of the forest for the tree. Experience nature, enjoy it. Find happiness in priceless small moments of true silence or beauty, smells, sounds, etc. Enjoy it.
Smells lock in your mind....Cedar swmap and Spruce trees. The day I open the hunting gear for the upcoming season and there is a hint of last fall in the pack still. I love that. Wood smoke from the shack, beer farts, burning birch. All good.
I think the most important lesson I have learned over the years.........stop balancing on one foot while trying to stick the other thru my underwear. I hit the dresser pretty hard the last time.
Mortally wounded animals don’t always go downhill....
Originally Posted by Judman

No doubt! I wish they’d run to a road...Just to change it up a little. 😎
Best place to shoot a moose is right between the wheel ruts.
Patience is the biggest and is cliche.
Don’t be afraid to take a second shot
Even if you think you missed, give it a good hard look
Make sure your flashlight works the night before
When on public land, if you think your far enough from a road, keep going
You can’t spend too much time scouting
If you are going to sit, SIT! You cannot be too comfortable, too warm, too dry if you're going to sit and you cannot stay there if you're not comfortable.

Make sure you can bet your life on every piece of your gear, you might have to.
1) ALWAYS carry two compasses and three ways to make fire. These can be life savers.
2) If you sweat like I do, carry a spare hat or cap.
3) Always hunt with a barrel fouled by at least one shot.
4) A dry pair of socks goes in my pack every time.
5) Make sure someone else knows where you will be hunting. If' I'm alone, I leave a note on the dashboard saying where I'm headed.
6) Check your backtrail. More than one deer has snuck out behind me and watched me leaving an area.
7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, and always try to keep a tree in front of you when you stop. It breaks up your outline, and gives you a rifle rest.
9) Compasses don't do you any good if you don't know how the road runs you need to walk back to. Always take a reading before setting foot in the woods.
10) If you tend to be fidgety, keep your hands in your pockets. Keeps your hands warmer and you have a higher chance of not getting busted by a deer.

I'm going to add one more to my list here. Never pass up a chance to hunt with your parents, grandparents, and most of all your kids. Time really does fly by, and these memories are precious. I wish I'd done more with Dad when he was still around, and I miss the family fishing trips to Canada. Mom would be grunting hard as she fought a big pike to the boat with her old red Ambassadeur. I still have that reel and it is one of my most prized possessions. We'll do this again some day Mom and Dad. Miss you guys so much.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Judman

No doubt! I wish they’d run to a road...Just to change it up a little. 😎

grin
I'll just add one imparted to me by my Grandfather's best hunting buddy. They were in a tent camp and had been hunting hard for several days in far Northern California. He decided that he would take a break and stay in camp for a day to rest up. Feeling the urge, he walked out to the area being used as the latrine and saw the biggest buck of his life. His advice was "Don't go to the s***house without your gun".
Originally Posted by Youper
Everything you wrote is spot on, but especially don't neglect your feet. The only other thing I can add is protect those compasses.

Indeed. I have a ball compass pinned to my collar, and an engineer's compass in my pocket while hunting. Until recently, I had a Magellan GPS. As well. (Now dead)
Originally Posted by northern_dave
It's a harvest, for my soul as much or more than it is for my freezer.

A sunrise, soft goose feather snow that you wade through silently. It's all beautiful, gods canvas which is wiped clean and changed with some new element to the masterpiece daily. There are smells that lock themselves in your mind. Every outing is a unique scenario. Wind, mist, rain, snow, temperature, terrain, moon phase, cloud cover. The variables are enormous and never exactly the same. There is a lesson in it, every time. The effects of the variables, how does it effect the animals? how differently does sound carry, how effectively does scent carry? There is knowledge to be gained, always. What you learn may never fit again in the future. Not exactly, not like a wrench fits a bolt. The knowledge may partially apply in future scenarios though. Apply as best you can.
Most importantly, don't lose sight of the forest for the tree. Experience nature, enjoy it. Find happiness in priceless small moments of true silence or beauty, smells, sounds, etc. Enjoy it.

Excellent post!

Might I add that when you step into the wilderness, be it a 5 acre parcel of 1 million acres of public lands, stop thinking about anything other than what is in front of and around you. Don't think about anything else than being alive at that moment, in that place. Live. Live just like the animals do, in that precise moment.

You will see, feel, smell, hear, and sense all of the things that Dave mentioned, maybe even more.

It's all a gift and a shame and waste to turn down even the slightest bit of it.

Ed
I've been known to take a drive out to a spot in the desert, just to greet the morning, and watch the sunrise.

Enjoy the beauty that is around you.
Let your glasses do the walking, then glass again.....
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

If you can’t afford a good rifle, sell your golf clubs and fishing boat.

Never hunt again with a dipstick who irritated you on a previous trip. Always go on a weekend deer hunt before inviting said sheepdip on a 9-day elk hunt. (Personal experience there)

Corollary to that one is take a road trip to a distant sportsman’s show or gun show and let the noob drive before embarking on a 1,200 mile drive to elk hunting camp. I have a dear friend that I don’t mind bunking with and hunting with for a week but can’t tolerate his road trip manners and driving.

Never try to lay blame on your rifle if you flub a shot. Blaming your rifle only points to your stupidity for not checking it out before the hunt. Admit your miss and hunt your backup rifle tomorrow.

Throw every battery you own away at the end of hunting season. They will just ruin your gear or fail when you need it most. If you can’t afford all new batteries, you need a cheaper hobby.

Never lie about how much the nonresident tags and licenses cost. You’ll surely leave one lying around sooner or later. BTDT

Happy Trails
I left off one important tip from my first post that I learned along the way.......

If you need to answer the call of nature that requires you to drop your pants, make sure that if you are wearing overall pants, you know where the back flap is at all times.
There is more to tracking, than just a blood trail. I see so many folks who just give up looking, if there isn't a dotted line for them to follow.
Tracking works best, wit h multiple methods working together. See blood? Confirm with tracks and hair. Bucks often are a bit lazy, and drag thier feet, watch for leaves flipped over. Watch for trace in hair or blood transfer at body height on grasses, fences, hanging leaves. If a deer leaps a fence, his prints will be deeper, if he goes under or through a fence, he will leave traces. A climbing stand can help to see better from above.
If a trail is lost, hang a marker in plain sight at the trails end, then spiral out from there to pick up the next trace. (Often folks lose the old trail while searching for new.) I've seen trails with more cutbacks and corners than a star of David.
Plumbing will tell you sex at bedding spots. Most animals urinate upon rising. A deer will run only as far as he/she feels he needs to feel safe. For some, that's a few yards, others require miles. Deer never read the rule books, but always know when the season opens.
Wounded deer often head for water, to add a barrier to pursuit.

(There's a lot more, but I'm out of time. )
Never trust a skinny cook or a man who plays the piccolo.

Judge: You are on trial for calling the piccolo player and Mudderf*ker. How do you plead?
Defendant: Not guilty, your Honor.
Judge: Well He says that you did.
Defendant: No your Honor, what I said was "Who called that Mudderf*ker a piccolo player?" grin
Miles, you crack me up. Thanks Rio7
Old joke, Blue. I figure that most of the old timers here have heard it before. miles
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You guys that mention a change of socks, how many miles would you say prompts that?

In all of my hunting, hikes, walks for fitness or running, I have never needed a change of socks. My feet don’t sweat. I have had sweat run into my shoes but not from my feet.

^^^^^ POG
All good tips.

My 3 basics are:

Take care of your feet. (Extra socks, moleskin, washing/airing your feet if possible on breaks toughens the skin - paying attention)

Eat enough calories.

Sleep warm (even if not dry - I haven't used a down bag in decades!)

Pretty much everything else is negotiable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Of course, the 2 compasses goes without saying - 3 is better. You can always average the things when the GPS gives out.... smile

Don't laugh - while not having to average them, I did once go the best 2 out of 3.... And of course, if you have at least two, there is no need to argue your "sense of direction". Don't ask.... but I did go with the compass, against my better judgement- which of course proved faulty.... smile

"Never get separated from your gear" is another good one. I once spent two hours looking for my pack and rifle, after going " just over the top for a looksee" and a dump.... good thing I had a red plastic cartridge holder taped to the stock of my rifle...

Also, never assume your hunting companions know chit... until proven. Never get separated...

How can "Go downhill until you hit the road" get f'ked up??? We found him 6 hours later, just before dark (troopers notified) - shots fired.... cross-ways across the bench land, in a swamp... in a narrow mountain valley...on a sunny day.

But then, he was from eastern Montana - Not like us NoDak boys...... smile

Originally Posted by VernAK

Why not? Always worked for me. But if it ain't there, the head or anywhere in the spine works. By preference.

The only moose I've ever "lost" were double lunged in heavy cover. I did find both, at a distance of one or two steps away,later, but not before the meat went....

I'll take the neck/cns shot anyday....
You don't have to notch your tag to have a great hunt.

P
Originally Posted by las

Why not? Always worked for me. But if it ain't there, the head or anywhere in the spine works. By preference.

The only moose I've ever "lost" were double lunged in heavy cover. I did find both, at a distance of one or two steps away,later, but not before the meat went....

I'll take the neck/cns shot anyday....

If you don't hit the spine/CNS or sever the artery, they can walk off carrying substantial bullets.
A big bull has been packing antlers and sparring with bushes and other bulls until that big neck
is a mass of muscle. I've not lost a big bull because of neck shooting but had to resort to lung/heart
shot to put em down. One bull, simply shook his head when shot twice in the neck with 300 WSM
and 180TSX at 80 yards....recovered both bullets after heart shooting.

My previous experiences shooting deer and caribou in the neck didn't carry through into large bull moose.
Don't miss....
Go on the dream hunt(s) now.
You can borrow money, you cannot borrow time!
When I get to my vehicle and need to take off my pack, or put down rifle, fishing rod, etc. to unlock or open the door PUT EVERY ITEM ON THE HOOD OR WINDSHIELD.

During the years it took me to learn this I left a fishing vest full of tackle and flies on a bush beside the driver door, a spear gun on the road shoulder and a bow on the roof. Noticed the bow when it slid off and recovered it scratched but undamaged.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Old joke, Blue. I figure that most of the old timers here have heard it before. miles

"I ain't even settin next to the man what called the piccolo player ....
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by djb

This^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good to me, too.

Some other things, in no particular order:

1. Tire chains with rubber tensioners for all four is not a luxury when elk hunting.
2. A backup rifle is sometimes useful.
3. A handgun on the waist is usually just extra weight. And something for your rifle to bang against.
4. Layer your clothing.
5. Wool warms, cotton kills. (No first hand experience with the latter but I have seen some bad frostbite after all night exposure.)
6. Food and water in the backpack. Camp may be many more hours away than you think.
7. Take multiple ways to start a fire.
8. Paper towels fold up nicely, weigh nothing and have a lot of uses.
9. Plastic garbage bags can be used for emergency shelter, rain gear or ground cover when dissecting an animal.
10. Whistle, compass, map - for when the GPS batteries die.
11. Extra batteries for the flashlight and GPS.
12. Don't clean your rifle after the last trip to the range.
13. Shot opportunities will often come when you lest expect them.
14. Don't forget to reset the knobs on your scope after shooting at 600 at the range.
15. The fun ends when you pull the trigger Don't rush it.
16. Cash in the pocket solves many problems that a card cannot.
17. Alcohol and drugs don't mix well with hunting.
18. If you rent a trailer to hunt from, check the walls and ceiling for .30 caliber holes BEFORE you leave the rental lot.
19. Plan how to get your animal out BEFORE you pull the trigger. (2 guys, 3 elk down, 3 miles from the truck? Without horses? Never again!)
20. Shooting a 280 Rem in a .338WM means the bull walks. Check your ammo.

Maybe more later, gotta get on a plane.

Bring chapstick!

If you will be doing a lot of glassing, bring a seat cushion of some sort. You will stay put longer.
Half an aspirin a day and lots of water may help prevent altitude sickness.

So will camping 2-3000 feet below your hunting altitude and driving or riding rather than hiking up.

There is nothing better than finding the perfect aspen tree, leaning back and taking a snooze in the warm afternoon sun. God's gift to hunters.
Never measure the success of a hunting trip by a gut pile, a big hide, and horn or antler size. Make it your goal to never wound and loose a big game animal. Treat animals with respect as they are God's Creation. Hunt with your family, even if it means less gut piles. Take really good pictures.

Avoid technology when ever possible, be a hunter. It's hunting, not conquering with the latest electronics, animals deserve a chance. Just because it is legal does not make it right when it comes to "fair chase".
Learn more patience, I tend to get pissed off easy. It serves no good purpose,
Better to be pissed off, than pissed on.....

Why?
You'll never kill anything staying in bed. Be ready game always seems to show up when you least expect it. A bad day hunting is better than the best day at work. A great hunt doesn't always end with an animal on the ground. Never miss a chance to take your kids hunting or fishing.
Originally Posted by Fireboss
You'll never kill anything staying in bed. Be ready game always seems to show up when you least expect it. A bad day hunting is better than the best day at work. A great hunt doesn't always end with an animal on the ground. Never miss a chance to take your kids hunting or fishing.

Wish more hunters thought like this.
1. Get in early - Stay out late - my best two deer were both taken barely on the legal side of shooting hours - one in the morning, one the evening. And along that same line, see 5 below.

2. Wait for the good shot or don't take it - I've missed a couple of nice bucks due to rushing a shot rather than waiting for a good shot.

3. Aim small, miss small.

4. Hunt with your wife and you'll never regret it.

5. Optics matter.

6. Hunting is more enjoyable when you are in decent shape.
Originally Posted by Fireboss

good thoughts
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Never measure the success of a hunting trip by a gut pile, a big hide, and horn or antler size. Make it your goal to never wound and loose a big game animal. Treat animals with respect as they are God's Creation. Hunt with your family, even if it means less gut piles. Take really good pictures.

My "success" rate the last few years has suffered because I was more interested in helping family and friends fill their tags than in filling my own. No regrets, even when I came home empty-handed. Just being able to hunt with my daughters and their husbands, fiancees and so on has been far more rewarding than meat in my freezer. We're out of elk meat, though, so I'm hoping everyone fills their tags this year - including myself.

Avoid technology when ever possible, be a hunter. It's hunting, not conquering with the latest electronics, animals deserve a chance. Just because it is legal does not make it right when it comes to "fair chase".

This kind of conflicts with "Make it your goal to never wound and loose a big game animal." My group uses laser range-finders extensively - not so we can take 800 yard pokes but so that we can accurately determine range and place our shots with more precision - or decide not to take a shot at all because the range is just too long.

We also use electronics to for safety and other reasons not related to taking a shot. We carry FRS radios, GPS devices, cell phones and I have a "help i've fallen and can't get up" satellite transceiver. My most important criteria for considering a hunt "successful" is that everyone gets home safely and electronics can help make that happen.
If you have trouble slowing down, when still hunting, put a full 100 round plastic box of CCI .22s in each front pocket. If they rattle, your moving too fast. Works great with new hunters.

Andy3
Lots of good advice!!!
Originally Posted by WAM

^^^^^ POG

Don’t know what POG means.
Headlamp, not flashlight. Easier and more convenient for almost anything you do in the dark!

ALWAYS carry more than one knife!
Originally Posted by WAM

^^^^^ POG

Don’t know what POG means.

In the military it's "People other than Grunts".
Originally Posted by milespatton

At least 2 or 3 different versions. Hard to believe after 50+ years that poor MF'er still can't play that darn piccolo
Don’t forget to bring the correct shells for the gun you brought to hunt with. I did that once, got lucky, guy in lease had same caliber. He loaned me enough to make the weekend.
Do your compass work AWAY from iron /steel objects, so as not to create magnetic error. Examples, rifle, pistol, knife, key ring, small tools in backpack, flashlight etc.

What is your back up sight system? Most rifles have scopes, few have open sights. What do you fall back on if your scope fails? Are your open sights zeroed for your ammo?

In cold weather, bring a long, wide wool scarf. It can be a hat, a torso insulator front/ back, a hood to keep a cold breeze off your face-even if you have a hood.

Run tape along your barrel channel/ fore end stock and action to keep rain out ( for wood stocks).

Carry a folding saw ( min 7-8”) . Makes quick work of saplings to make shelter.

Carry a very large plastic bag ( ie 55 gal barrel liner). Serves a min weight emergency poncho.

Mark your spot where you took your shot, and where the quarry was -( if no blood trail )so you know we’re to return to if you need to replay your shot in tracking your quarry. (Example: trail marker tape., 6ft high tripod of branches cut with your folding saw.)

Bring a young hunter with you, and share your wisdom, woods craft and sportsmanship, to aid the future of hunting. Give them first shot.

Get in shape before going into the woods.

You can hone your knife on the edge of your vehicle window. Roll down your window a bit/ half way. Take a few strokes on the bead blasted rounded edge of your window. If in camp, you can do the same thing/ honing , on the bottom ring of a ceramic mug ( just don’t put it in a microwave after honing).

Don’t forget to “ go simple”. Grab your 30-30 once in a while.. You’ll probably ask yourself, “ Why do I need all those others rifles- this one does just fine.”, after you get your quarry.

Bring a back-up pair of eyeglasses-or at least a repair kit ( extra frame screws/ bolt- nut, nose pads, or a couple of metal wire bread bag twist ties ( can serve as a way to secure a lense if you lose a frame bolt.).

If you are going to use reloaded cartridges, before you leave your loading bench , chamber each round you are bringing on the hunt, to make sure it chambers. A case that is partially or neck-sized, may not chamber. Better to find that out at home, and not in the woods. Test chambering factory loaded rounds you plan to take with you is also a good idea-same reason.

If you are limited on finances ( who isn’t?) , put more money into your binoculars than a rifle scope. You use binocs a lot more (or at least you should). Hint, a fixed 4x (used) Leupold scope is never a mistake, and not a lot of money.
>>>>>>>Corollary: don’t scan/search with your rifle scope. The hunter you find in your scope could be me, and you are aiming your firearm at me. I don’t like that feeling.

Consider consolidating the assets tied up in all your gear ( guns, scopes, reloading gear of multiple calibers), and focus on 1-2 High quality firearms and scope and binocs ( “ Beware of the man who owns only one rifle, as he probably knows how to use it.” syndrome)? I didn’t write “ expensive”, but “ higher quality”. Having 5-10 or more “ low cost” guns of $150-200/each is $750-$1500++ tied up. That money could give you a nice hunting rifle, scope, binocs, boots etc., and can be used more frequently ( “ Beware of the man who owns only one rifle, as he probably knows how to use it.” syndrome). I like looking at guns as much as the next person, but I am consolidating gear, and focusing on using less stuff more often I like well-made things (not necessarily “ expensive”). I didn’t need three 357 mag S&W 586/686 revolvers, and some other stuff. Sold them. Now I have a berry nice Win model 70 baco/ FN 30-06, Leupold 4x scope, and 8x30 Dr Optics binocs instead. (And less “ stuff” and clutter). More consolidating / selling in the works too.
I your going to be dumb, you gotta be tough!!!
A couple of things I learned slowly, the hard way, and more than once.
The "carrying characteristics" of a rifle are very, very important in my (preferred) style of hunting. Assuming you have done your homework, and have a little luck, you'll likely carry your rifle a lot, but fire it only once. Different versions of the same rifle can vary widely in this respect.
Melvin Forbes was the first to elevate this to new levels.
Bought a set of top end Leica binocs for a hunt some years ago. While offering stellar optics, they were similar to carrying a boat anchor. Todays marketplace offers many choices of very good binocs that offer an excellent combination of size, weight, and optical quality. Some of the old Carl Zeiss stuff can be an eye opener.
If you wear eyeglasses, compatability with your binocs is no small issue.
Shooting ability is the number #1 thing, in my opinion. Everybody has heard the "The buck of a lifetime" I missed story. You can have the best equipment in the world, but if you can't hit sh*t, it's all for nothing. Don't miss - make your shot count.

And if I'm not having fun because it's too cold, too wet, too windy or whatever, I'm packing it in.
I learned to keep toilet paper with me at all times!!
Originally Posted by wyowinchester

Man, ain't that the truth! Heart issues have taken the wind out of my sails. I'm pretty much a flat land hunter these days. I have been lucky enough to find a good spot in our hunting area. Access is via a snowmobile trail, closed off during deer season to any motorized vehicles. I can take my deer cart in with me, post on a good crossing on the trail, and get a deer out on the cart without too much difficulty. Everything happens in slow motion these days. I don't want my son finding me in a pile in the woods because I overdid it.

I still hunt out east in Pennsylvania every two or three years. The hike up the mountain that used to take about 45 minutes now takes 2 hours, but it's worth the trek. I'm a much better still hunter now. No choice-I've had to slow down.

Still thinking about a Wyoming speed goat hunt. Gotta do it pretty soon if I'm going to.

Still thinking about a Wyoming speed goat hunt. Gotta do it pretty soon if I'm going to.

Do it soon! Don't overlook mule deer either.
Might as well toss elk in the mix, too..... Hell, yer there anyway, take advantage of it.
Don't be afraid to sleep in. My best deer have been late morning.

If you don't feel like hunting that day, it's ok.

If the wind ain't right for an area you want to hunt, don't hunt it.

Good things happen to those that move.
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Some more compass lessons:

Compasses work, until you break it. Carry two if you're clumsy or in new territory. ( I usually have small one pinned to shirt, larger one in day pack)

Compasses work, unless you're over a shallow iron ore deposit, then they don't! (been there, wandered off course a little, fortunately a narrow deposit). Terrain association is a useful skill!

Compasses work, unless its pinned on the same pocket you have your 2-way radio in, then wants to point to the blasted radio! (or sometime to your rifle barrel if you have it slung on the near shoulder!).

And a non-compass lesson - if you switch between rifles for some reason, double check what ammo your carrying when you leave camp!

And, it almost seems intuitive 😏, but believe it over “no, I’m sure I came down that drainage”...or spend the night in the black timber with a filet-o-candy bar over a small fire..
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Good advice. In our area, lots of guys go back in for lunch. They move a lot of deer while walking out of the woods. I've shot a lot of deer over the lunch hour while guys are walking in and out of the woods.
One can hunt without wet wipes, a sharp knife, bic lighter, and GPS, but thank God I don't have to.

You can get better hunting by knowing people well than you can by knowing animals well.

The most important tool for successful scouting is money.

A mediocre hunting area you know well is better than a great one you don't know.

Have the courage to lower your expectations.

If you don't love being in the field, quit until you do.

Take a good friend.

Use a good bullet.

Dittto every one of those!!
FWIW I actually had a compass that failed, giving readings that were exactly 180 degrees wong. Fortunately I had another one that did not, and a GPS that did not.
I like the sleep in advice!!!
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
FWIW I actually had a compass that failed, giving readings that were exactly 180 degrees wong. Fortunately I had another one that did not, and a GPS that did not.
That's said to be fairly common in recent years. The theory is that carrying the compass close to a cell phone will do it. The cause is the magnet in the phone's speaker. I tried waving my phone near the compass and I could get the needle dancing nicely. I've often carried a compass and my phone in the same pocket but since I read that, I avoid it, just in case.
I've never needed to try it but supposedly you can correct it by flicking a strong magnet along the red end of the needle.
Just because you can hit it doesn’t mean you can easily recover it...Think about what will come next for you after the fun with the gun turns into the reality of getting the animal out...

Pack a pistol instead of your rifle while hauling meat on your back...Much easier...

Lighten your pack to essentials only when packing meat...Fire starter, radio, small first aid kit, batteries and lots of water...

Go in heavy with water/drinks and start laying them along the path you mark for packing out...It’s like finding money when you see a beer laying next to a trail marker you left on your way in...

Don’t be afraid of the dark...Carry quality headlamps...

Last load out, pick up your trash...That’s part of hunting, too...But, you all know this. 😎
All great info, which I thoroughly agree with.

One piece of advice I have; if you ever trip, which I do and end up putting you hands out to stop yourself, try not to end up with a 3/8” thick 4” long dead dry stick through your palm and out the other side! It was impossible to remove myself, and my trigger finger stopped working, 3 hour trip to hospital to remedy.

NEVER buy a rifle and have it camo wrapped, shoot a deer in the bottom of a steep gully, then lean your CAMO COLOURED rifle against a tree and slide down after the deer WITHOUT placing something highly visible to mark WHERE you left your rifle!
My buddy did this very thing, after hours of searching that day, the next and then follow up weekends, that rifle remains unfound to this day. This happened in 2005.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by 416RigbyHunter
All great info, which I thoroughly agree with.

One piece of advice I have; if you ever trip, which I do and end up putting you hands out to stop yourself, try not to end up with a 3/8” thick 4” long dead dry stick through your palm and out the other side! It was impossible to remove myself, and my trigger finger stopped working, 3 hour trip to hospital to remedy.

NEVER buy a rifle and have it camo wrapped, shoot a deer in the bottom of a steep gully, then lean your CAMO COLOURED rifle against a tree and slide down after the deer WITHOUT placing something highly visible to mark WHERE you left your rifle!
My buddy did this very thing, after hours of searching that day, the next and then follow up weekends, that rifle remains unfound to this day. This happened in 2005.

Cheers.

That happened to a guy from here many years ago. He needed both hands to drag out a large buck so he leaned his 30-30 against a sagebrush where he could find it. He couldn't. I never heard why he couldn't follow the drag marks. Anyway, 30 years later he was hunting the same area and found it, still leaning against the sagebrush. It probably needed a quick swab with the Hoppes #9.
Make sure your hunting buddy's pack is bigger than yours.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's said to be fairly common in recent years. The theory is that carrying the compass close to a cell phone will do it. The cause is the magnet in the phone's speaker. I tried waving my phone near the compass and I could get the needle dancing nicely. I've often carried a compass and my phone in the same pocket but since I read that, I avoid it, just in case.
I've never needed to try it but supposedly you can correct it by flicking a strong magnet along the red end of the needle.

I think it got magnetized by my cold iron heart, which may in fact be from a meteor.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I think it got magnetized by my cold iron heart, which may in fact be from a meteor.
I have to ask...how do they keep the magnet in a phone from erasing the programming?

^^^This in a nutshell. My last big game hunt was 2012. Now, it's strictly upland birds. Those damn chukar will get you wheezing and cussing tho. Still, lighter than deer. That's my perspective.
Schit changes fast from the couch to the field. Do all you can to prepare before game time, then be prepared for stuff to go wrong with plan B.
Always put your knife down before you rip the guts out. I did that and stabbed myself in the arm.

When you set your knife down, make sure you know where you put it. I've had knives disappear in the leaves.
Lotta good stuff though I have not read every post. Hope this is not a repeat.

Avoid camo on flashlights and knives. Bright colors keep you from losing them on leaves or snow.

I like a bright yellow coffee cup so it shows up in firelight no matter where I may set it down.

Don't cut the head off of a large fish that you need to carry a ways by hand.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Always put your knife down before you rip the guts out. I did that and stabbed myself in the arm.

When you set your knife down, make sure you know where you put it. I've had knives disappear in the leaves.
Camo knives/saws/electronics/etc are a REALLY bad idea. Go orange if possible.

Interesting take on the late morning deer, we've seen the best deer period extremely early or extremely late. I"m sure that could be due to having to sit in stands with feeders at the lease. But even at home it seems that way where I hunt wherever/whenever I want.

I've sat a LOT during the mid day though, and while I've seen more deer than most folks think you can see mid day locally, I've just not seen a big one mid day.

Ducks and geese too... we've had as good or better hunts going out mid morning at times... at times... Spring and fall turkey too... I actually have better luck calling turkeys mid to late morning or before roost time, than in the early hours generally...Those critters I have killed the best middle of the day.

But the real bottom line to learn, spend time out there. The more the better. Don't get hung up on things, like a morning headache or only running out for the last hour of light etc... get out there, its important if you need to shoot one. If you don't need to, then its what it is.
Originally Posted by rost495

Interesting take on the late morning deer, we've seen the best deer period extremely early or extremely late. I"m sure that could be due to having to sit in stands with feeders at the lease. But even at home it seems that way where I hunt wherever/whenever I want.

I've sat a LOT during the mid day though, and while I've seen more deer than most folks think you can see mid day locally, I've just not seen a big one mid day.

Ducks and geese too... we've had as good or better hunts going out mid morning at times... at times... Spring and fall turkey too... I actually have better luck calling turkeys mid to late morning or before roost time, than in the early hours generally...Those critters I have killed the best middle of the day.

But the real bottom line to learn, spend time out there. The more the better. Don't get hung up on things, like a morning headache or only running out for the last hour of light etc... get out there, its important if you need to shoot one. If you don't need to, then its what it is.

When you hunt in areas that are 110 degrees during the rut, early and late make sense. The other 90% of the country, not necessarily. I wouldn't even think about being out and about before good daylight in Alaska.
Some people swear by the solunar tables.
Originally Posted by rost495

When you hunt in areas that are 110 degrees during the rut, early and late make sense. The other 90% of the country, not necessarily. I wouldn't even think about being out and about before good daylight in Alaska.

I've killed most of my good bucks, from alberta to here, and lots of places in between from 10am to 2 pm....
Also, believe none of what you hear, and half what you see..... this is especially true with hunters....
Haha...True dat. I’m a liar when it comes to where I hunt...Unless we’re bros. 😎
If I see a good buck on the lease, I’m not telling the other guys.

I do sometimes tell the other guys I saw a big one by their stand. 😁😁😁😁😁😁
Originally Posted by hanco
Some people swear by the solunar tables.

Other than they don't take into account weather, rut etc. I've seen them be right, within 12 hours........
Always post your results on the Campfire. You will quickly find out what you're doing wrong and how many can do it better.
Don’t fall out if your deer stand!
© 24hourcampfire