-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great string with many well advised pointers!
My 2 cents:
Nothing wrong with catching a quick nap while out in the woods. Waking up is always interesting, some times more interesting than others. Further, as you get older, this takes on new meaning.
Always, always, always keep at least a couple rounds of ammo with you.
Did you know 550# test paracord is available with a strip of fire starter built in?
I have given up several days of hunting, including an opener or 2, even a tag or 2, to intro some grandsons to big game hunting. Enjoyed every one of those days immensely. Sincerely hoping I have successfully passed on a tradition that I place a very high value on.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the hottest fire starters I've used are these chemical cubes from Walmart. If you get them in sporting goods, a box of 6 is about $6. If you go to the bbq and space heater section, they have the same thing in boxes of 12 for the same price.
If you need a fire, you need it NOW and these will do it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1) ALWAYS carry two compasses and three ways to make fire. These can be life savers.
2) If you sweat like I do, carry a spare hat or cap.
3) Always hunt with a barrel fouled by at least one shot.
4) A dry pair of socks goes in my pack every time.
5) Make sure someone else knows where you will be hunting. If' I'm alone, I leave a note on the dashboard saying where I'm headed.
6) Check your backtrail. More than one deer has snuck out behind me and watched me leaving an area.
7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, and always try to keep a tree in front of you when you stop. It breaks up your outline, and gives you a rifle rest.
8) When you think it's time to give up, stay at least another 15 minutes.
9) Compasses don't do you any good if you don't know how the road runs you need to walk back to. Always take a reading before setting foot in the woods.
10) If you tend to be fidgety, keep your hands in your pockets. Keeps your hands warmer and you have a higher chance of not getting busted by a deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner

7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, . . ..

The older I get the easier this is.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Youper

7) When still hunting, always move as slow as you can tolerate, . . ..

The older I get the easier this is.

Same here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Unless you don't care about pockets and sleeves, TP is important.

Guilty. More than a few times.

I don't see a need to take quite as good of care of my feet as some of you all. Wearing the same socks for a few days never has seemed to bother me too much when I am hunting, as long as they're dry in the morning. I don't carry an extra pair in my pack. If my boots are completely soaked (which does happen), then having fresh socks won't make a difference.

As far as things I have learned over the years: the biggest is that if the shot isn't right---don't take it. It is way easier to get back onto an animal another day than blowing a herd out of the area or worse; tracking a poorly hit critter all over hell, and a lot less taxing on your conscience.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by reivertom
I've hunted in the thick Kentucky hills since 1973, with shots usually under 150 yards and where most are under 75. Very different from Western hunting....these are a few things I've learned....

1 .If you are a pasty faced white boy like me, cover your face with something dull or it shines like a beacon in the woods....you will get busted....this means even when wearing hunter's orange..

2. A very sharp ugly 4 inch knife is better than a very fancy, but dull, knife of any length.

3. A quick second shot can save your season....That's why I like lever guns for thick woods where shots are fleeting.

4. Camo doesn't have to be expensive or trendy to work....I use a mix of Army surplus, commercial, and cheap generic
woodland....Deer don't care if it's not on TV.

5. Don't go in the woods unless you have checked your rifle's zero, even if it was OK last season.....and even iron sights.

6. Shoot enough to get confident with your rifle...........there's no substitute for practice.

Below are some real life deer hunting tactics I've found that work for me....

1. Act like you are getting ready to eat a sandwich.....it seems that every time I get discouraged and decide to eat something, a buck will walk right where I was looking before I laid my rifle down and started digging in my pack.

2. Lay you rifle down at least two arms length away from you to attract deer.......see former tip.

3. Walk out of the woods shuffling your feet with an unloaded rifle slung over your back and act despondent.......deer love this and will walk right in front of you....sometimes within sight of your truck or camp.

4. Clang your rifle on the side of the tree stand to see how fast that buck is you didn't hear just on the other side of that darn thicket.

5. Go ahead and scratch your nose.......you ain't going to shoot worth a crap if your nose is itching anyway. It's also another good way to initiate the previous scenario.......that darn thicket..............

Hope these help......

Good list!

I'll take on a couple of things, the white face can bust you, BUT there is plenty of sky, white, blue etc.. in the woods. Don't let it bother you that much. Movement is the key.

A sharp ugly knife.. I don't own one thats 4 inches long anymore. 3 inches maybe. It doesn't take much. My much is havalon piranha, the fastest easiest to sharpen knife ever. Have taken apart more than one moose with it. Including dejointing every last thing.

Quick second shots... if needed, dump the lever, buy an AR of some caliber.... or a 742 or bar etc....

Camo, is not needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

8) When you think it's time to give up, stay at least another 15 minutes.

Other than the good boot/good socks/take care of your feet issue, this might be the best advice ever.

I can’t tell you how many times “just fifteen minutes more” has saved my bacon. The importance of hanging in there and not giving up no matter what can’t be over emphasized.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Never trust a skinny cook or a man who plays the piccolo.

Never get separated from your gear.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That 2" at 100 yards works. I used to fuss over accuracy and shoot the piss out of a given rifle wanting sub-MOA. It is extremely rare that my first handload doesn't run inside 2" and said loads have never caused me to miss.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stay in position until dark, don't try to get back to camp before dark. Carry a good headlamp, hand held light and spare batteries.

Resist going back to camp mid day, stay in your spot and outlast the other hunters-tough to do sometimes because of cold temps. etc. but can be very productive.

Learn your area and realize what other hunters do, where they typically go and how they hunt so you can capitalize. Animals will do the same.

Never pass on an opportunity to hunt with your father.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
, don't try to get back to camp before dark.

This part I can't quite agree with on two counts. First, I'm old enough that I'd rather not have gutting jobs in the dark, Second, I'll take my chance on having something to shoot at on the way back.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^^^^

Yes, I don't have to be in a "stand" to be hunting.

Actually, I don't have any stands.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Never forget the toilet paper!

Never forget your flashlight

Never forget some matches

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
^^^^^^^^

Yes, I don't have to be in a "stand" to be hunting.

Actually, I don't have any stands.

If stand manufacturers had to depend on elk and mulie hunters for sales, they'd go broke in a hurry.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Pigs have better noses than deer!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Study and learn how to take quality field pictures.

And has been mentioned by others, quality time with your kids in the field, is the best time.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
7 Rem mag is the best cartridge out there!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In my first year hunting elk. I bumped five cows near the top of a ridge. We all met on top. One cow stopped and looked at me long enough for me to put the crosshairs on her and decide not too shoot. My "young" reasoning.
"This is the first day, and I'll find a bull." Never seen another elk the rest of the season. DON'T PASS UP A LEGAL ANIMAL, Unless you are willing to eat your tag.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Who you hunt with is important too.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.