Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am 46 now but have decades of hunting experience, which is hard to believe. Anyways, some of the things that I found out the hard way.

You can never spend too much money on your boots.

The importance of having a quality set of binoculars.

Be worried about going down a mountain for the day, when spike camp is at the top.

Packing out an elk without horses is horrible, and may very well kill or maim you.

Never tell a guide about his business, even in jest.

Just like the military, you cannot neglect your feet. When stopping from a big hike, change your socks.

A compass always works and must be carried. Electronics fail. Know where you are on a map that is maintained in your pack.

Hunt as much as you can. You can never hunt too much with family and friends.

Others??

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everything you wrote is spot on, but especially don't neglect your feet. The only other thing I can add is protect those compasses.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too damned many to remember, much less list! eek

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunt while you still can. Worry about the money later in life. You don't want to be laying in the hospital bed, with wires and cables sticking out of you, saying, " I wish I would have...".

If you have a dream hunt, find a way to do it. Make it happen!!!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
As you get older. Your perspective on hunting, changes.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
People that enjoy hunting as much we do get fewer and fewer, older friends pass away, other friends lose interest, or just arent serious about it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Some more compass lessons:

Compasses work, until you break it. Carry two if you're clumsy or in new territory. ( I usually have small one pinned to shirt, larger one in day pack)

Compasses work, unless you're over a shallow iron ore deposit, then they don't! (been there, wandered off course a little, fortunately a narrow deposit). Terrain association is a useful skill!

Compasses work, unless its pinned on the same pocket you have your 2-way radio in, then wants to point to the blasted radio! (or sometime to your rifle barrel if you have it slung on the near shoulder!).

And a non-compass lesson - if you switch between rifles for some reason, double check what ammo your carrying when you leave camp!

Last edited by MikeL2; 03/23/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless you don't care about pockets and sleeves, TP is important.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigswede358

R O T F

That’s hilarious and TRUE.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've hunted in the thick Kentucky hills since 1973, with shots usually under 150 yards and where most are under 75. Very different from Western hunting....these are a few things I've learned....

1 .If you are a pasty faced white boy like me, cover your face with something dull or it shines like a beacon in the woods....you will get busted....this means even when wearing hunter's orange..

2. A very sharp ugly 4 inch knife is better than a very fancy, but dull, knife of any length.

3. A quick second shot can save your season....That's why I like lever guns for thick woods where shots are fleeting.

4. Camo doesn't have to be expensive or trendy to work....I use a mix of Army surplus, commercial, and cheap generic
woodland....Deer don't care if it's not on TV.

5. Don't go in the woods unless you have checked your rifle's zero, even if it was OK last season.....and even iron sights.

6. Shoot enough to get confident with your rifle...........there's no substitute for practice.

Below are some real life deer hunting tactics I've found that work for me....

1. Act like you are getting ready to eat a sandwich.....it seems that every time I get discouraged and decide to eat something, a buck will walk right where I was looking before I laid my rifle down and started digging in my pack.

2. Lay you rifle down at least two arms length away from you to attract deer.......see former tip.

3. Walk out of the woods shuffling your feet with an unloaded rifle slung over your back and act despondent.......deer love this and will walk right in front of you....sometimes within sight of your truck or camp.

4. Clang your rifle on the side of the tree stand to see how fast that buck is you didn't hear just on the other side of that darn thicket.

5. Go ahead and scratch your nose.......you ain't going to shoot worth a crap if your nose is itching anyway. It's also another good way to initiate the previous scenario.......that darn thicket..............

Hope these help......

Last edited by reivertom; 03/24/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Great lists!!! Apparently, Tom, our Wisconsin deer have been communicating with deer in the Kentucky hills because I've noticed some of the same antics.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A family that hunts and spends times outdoors together sticks together.
Don't pack 1/2 a bull elk out in one trip when it's 4.5 miles out
Enjoy all those little experiences when out on the hunt, it's all about the memories made.
it's good to give up almost any material thing(s) to make a hunt happen...
Now that my kids have all left home they see the value of never really buying red meat, normal is: elk,deer,antelope,fish and grouse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Forget the TP. A ziploc baggie full of wet wipes is far more useful for wipin' poop, deer guts, etc. I use them to clean my feet after a long hike and maybe a whore's bath if I've worked up a sweat.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd rather take 90 minutes of cutting and packing than 45 minutes of dragging or wheeling.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never try for the neck shot on a big bull moose!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shoot 'til they're down.

Get out and hunt, even if you only have half an hour after work.

You only need one good gun to get it done.

A good night's sleep makes for a good day hunting.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Faux hunt. If you live near the critters go find and stalk them w/ your rangefinder and see how close you can get. Gives you great practice in all the essentials except shooting. Glassing, stalking, conditioning plus time on your feet outdoors. Where I live I can carry my rifle and include getting into field positions and dryfiring much of the time.

I like to hike and faux hunting allows me to practice in places and at times that would otherwise be excluded.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

You got that right! Larry the cable guy wasn't the first to rock the sleeveless look.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That fire starting stuff is always in the way and a pain to carry...until you don't have it.

Also, have you tried starting a fire with wet wipes?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 56 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.