Home
Posted By: j_elky Packable rain gear? - 07/14/18
I'll be on a muzzleloader elk hunt in northern Colorado in Sept. I have good rain gear but it is bulky. Is there such a thing as packable rain gear that works well?
Posted By: RickBin Re: Packable rain gear? - 07/14/18
My KUIU has been tops. Highly recommended!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Packable rain gear? - 07/15/18
Cabelas sell a set advertised as packable and it is. It's pricey and not very durable. I bought a set and they didn't last one hunting season. I If you kneel down in the grass,you get holes.Sage brush tears them apart.I bought the Bass Pro ones and have been using them three seasons now. Not quite packable,but you can stow them in your day pack.It's a trade off. Packable vs durability
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Packable rain gear? - 07/15/18
Originally Posted by RickBin
My KUIU has been tops. Highly recommended!

Rick,

do they only have one "packable" model? Other than some talk on here and some ads I'm completely clueless about their products. Which one do you have, if I might ask?

Thanks,

Geno
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Packable rain gear? - 07/15/18
I don't know if it is still available, but I own a jacket and pants I bought from Cabelas in the mid '90's. It was called their Whitetail series, and has a soft poly outer with GoreTex lining. It packs down to a very small size, and has been worn on nearly every hunt I have been on for over 20 years now. Most durable outerwear I have ever owned. It can be worn in fairly warm weather, or layered up for colder conditions. It is indeed waterproof. I don't know if their current MT050 series is similar, but if it is, it is quality stuff.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Packable rain gear? - 07/15/18
anything with goretex that you want to be water proof has been a joke to us. FWIW. New it works for an amount of time, but I don't have a single piece of gore that hasn't gotten us wet somewhere.

Hence when it matters I refuse to trust the stuff.

At home its fine, if it soaks through and it will, I can go home and get warm and dry.
© 24hourcampfire