Home
Posted By: Beaver10 Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/06/18
Had a hunting pard show up with a pair of trekking poles. He used them on a couple occasions. Once on a long uphill hike and the other while packing out a front shoulder of an elk in fairly steep and rough terrain. He swore by em..

Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down? How do they help? Who makes a good set?

I did some reading and Leki Poles came up as an alpha mfg. Soft foam or real cork handles were also recommended for sweaty hands and comfort...Pretend I don’t know schit about poles. What should I look for and consider buying for hunting?

Beaver10😎
Trekking poles are very good to have. My son and I each have a set. We used them on a 10 day trip in the mountains of New Mexico to hike 86 miles. They make a heck of a difference. Leki is what we use.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Had a hunting pard show up with a pair of trekking poles. He used them on a couple occasions. Once on a long uphill hike and the other while packing out a front shoulder of an elk in fairly steep and rough terrain. He swore by em..

Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down? How do they help? Who makes a good set?

I did some reading and Leki Poles came up as an alpha mfg. Soft foam or real cork handles were also recommended for sweaty hands and comfort...Pretend I don’t know schit about poles. What should I look for and consider buying for hunting?

Beaver10😎

What would he have done packing out a rear shoulder?
wink

Poles are a huge help in a lot of different situations... Multi-tasking them as shooting sticks makes a lot of sense.
I use them mostly for downhill. It really saves my knees.

An elastic tarp ball bungee makes them into a set of shooting sticks rather quickly.

I recommend you get the flick lock type.
I use two different sets made by Black Diamond... Flick Lock is a must...
BD Alpine Carbon Cork.
Posted By: prm Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/06/18
I use the Black Diamond Trail Trekking poles. Very happy with them.
My brother brought a pair to elk camp this year. On our second trip out with my elk, carrying 80 lb packs for six miles, he brought his, gave me one he used one. GAME CHANGER!!! We were doing multiple (like 8) creek crossings in the dark while raining. Also side hilling canyon walls. I am pretty sure those damned things saved our arses from serious injury more than once that day.

As to brand etc. I know nothing, just don't buy the kind that are spring loaded. Solid is the only way to go based on my one time use of one.
Good info here in the backpacking sub-forum.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13241250/trekker-poles
I use a Leki Wanderfreund SpeedLock Trekking Pole in the early season. My use is mostly limited to thrashing dead yucca plants with it as I've had one too many rattlesnake scares. grin
And if you have to, you can beat the chit outa somebody with them. I came real close to whoopin some boys from Houston LOL
I carry 1 pole. While not as good as 2 for climbing, it's far better than none. I find it too clumsy to mess with 2 and a gun at the same time, plus hopefully I'll have llamas in tow for packing meat out. 1 can be used in any number of ways as a shooting stick. It just takes a bit of practice at home on getting into positions bracing the stick with a knee or whatever.
Learn how to use the wrist straps if you don't already know. I see a lot of people not using the straps at all, or using them incorrectly. Probably cuts the utility of the poles by 50% or so.
I only use a single stick-homemade cedar. I don't want both of my hands full and it is great to lean binos on.
We use to make fun of the hikers who used trekking poles. That and those goofy gaiters... LOL. Eventually smartened up and both quickly became required equipment. I’ve used a few different makes of trekking poles and would recommend Leki and Black Diamond products.
I use a wooden staff about 60" long and 3/4" in diameter. It has a leather strap fastened to the upper part of the staff. I used it everywhere when my knees were bad. I got two new knees a year ago and still use it on hikes. I put a 1/4" by 20 stud for a camera on the top of it and can also use it for a standing gun rest if needed.

Before I got the hickory staff I used two ski poles, fixed length, that I had left over from my alpine skiing days. They worked well too but I prefer the single staff these days. My elk hauling days are over but the trekking poles make sense if you are hauling heavy loads or packing animals out of rough country.
I've used a trekking staff for several years. At age 76 it's a life saver, especially going downhill. I only use one because the second one gets in the way of my rifle etc.
My poles are $35 Costco specials. I've been told they wont last but I have at least 5 years and lots of miles on them. The only problem I've had is the bottom section makes noise rattling inside the middle section.
Appreciate the information...I got a set of Leki Corklight Speedlocks coming for the wife and the BD Alpines for me. 😎
Lekki for me; Corklites I believe. I began using them hiking and they really make a difference on the uphill, downhill with load, and uneven terrain. Buy Black Diamond or Lekki. Lekki come with replaceable parts for a reasonable price if you break anything. They are the real deal, especially packing animals out. I collapse them and stick them in my side pocket on my pack. They fit perfect.
I'm not sure who makes a good set. But, I bought a cheap ass pair at Walmart to try and see if I like em. They were $18 for the pair. My fat ass didn't break em up or down hill and I liked them a lot. Downhill was more noticeable to me.
Have on occasion used a stick or two, but after extended use one day in extremely rugged terrain, I had one finger with a tendon that would go over center and I'd have to physically straighten it out. Seems to have self corrected over time, but I've no desire to have that issue resurface.
I've got Leki's as well. I always have the right hand one with me when I hunt. That's because if I kill, it makes getting out with the kill a lot safer and easier over rough ground. They also come in handy when tracking animals that insist on passing through really steep country. Wounded animals and older ones seem to do that regularly. E
I've never used trekking poles for hunting. Last year in preparation for my Dagestan Tur hunt I used them on the steep hill behind my house. They seemed to make the climbs uphill easier by having something to hold on to, and they definitely made me more stable going downhill.

I took them to Azerbaijan but my guide wouldn't let me use them because he said that on the extremely steep ground there, there was too much of a chance of the trekking pole section clamps releasing which could result in a bad fall down the slope.

Over there they use a single pole or staff that is about 6' long, 2" in diameter, and has a forged pointed steel tip. They often use the steel tip to carve footholds when crossing the extremely steep side hills.
Posted By: mart Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/06/18
Several years ago I bought a half dozen light ski poles from a store that was going out of business. I took the baskets off. I've given all but two of them away but I use one on any of my back packing hunts or if I have to pack out meat in a backpack. Makes a huge difference giving some better stability on uneven ground and having something to lean on for a minute when packing a heavy load of meat. Big help on down hill and on stream crossings also.
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm not sure who makes a good set. But, I bought a cheap ass pair at Walmart to try and see if I like em. They were $18 for the pair. My fat ass didn't break em up or down hill and I liked them a lot. Downhill was more noticeable to me.

TZ, it’s funny when we get older the pack outs seem heavier, and mountains seem steeper. Trek poles are the next step in my decline. Mules or Alpacas are down the road at this moment, but not out of the possibility one day. 😎
Do many of you use them for traversing tough ground, both up and down?

I've got a set of poles. I tried them out. I found them to be a net loss in the places I hunt. They're fine / good on groomed / maintained trails and roads. Off trail, the brush is too thick and too deep and with downed logs every 10 to 100 feet or so to scramble over or under, y' gotta have your hands free to make headway. I'm sure there are other places and other conditions where they are useful. Someday maybe I'll get a chance to hunt such a place.

Tom
strange, I find scrambling over logs and stuff is just the time that the poles come in useful. On a trail, not so much.

I bought a pair and use them but only on rough stuff.
Posted By: las Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/07/18
Over the last 50 years I've done a lot of back-pack hunting, as far as 20 miles or a bit more, back in. Often packing 100 lb loads out. Never used trekking poles, tho I've been known to pick up a stick or two if I don't have a staff.

I've used the crap out of hiking staffs tho. I cut them from straight birch saplings, to my height, with a fork on top, which I then pad a bit for shooting. I like them to fit my hand at grasping level, and about 1 1/2 inch all the way down, so some shaving is generally required on the lower end. They are inexpensive, and something to do while on stand.

They are useful at body height for level ground shooting, or down hill shooting. Gotta kick the bottom out considerable for up-hill shooting. Most useful for packing heavy loads, especially on rough ground.

There are probably 20-30 of mine scattered around Alaska by this time...... smile. I don't go back for them if I forget one, tho I've been known to go in with one and come out with two in places I frequent.

Trekking poles or staff makes a big difference in rough ground, heavy pack or not, and help with balance packing load even on good trail.

I must be getting better......the current one is going on 10 years old. Well, maybe not- 8 of those were off ATV or snowmachine, mostly.
Las, you sound like a modern day Moses with makeshift staff in your paw...This season was the first time I really felt the 90lb quarter kicking my ass coming up and out of the draw. The pack out was a simple one compared to what I’m usually dealing with.

I was in good hunting shape. I knew what I was doing securing the meat to the frame. The only thing I can think of that caused me an issue was my personal pack frame was being used by a pard, who went up first with the other hind quarter plus the meat bag. He had over 100lb on my good frame. I went up with a cheapo frame that I have as a spare. There is a big difference in a quality meat frame versus a POS frame....Hint...I’m gonna spend some time this winter using the trekk poles. We’ll see if they’re still around for hunting next season...😎
Posted By: las Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/07/18
Moses? Naw - I'm just cheap. I mean "economical".... My guns shoot good, too. But I hide them in good company... smile

Fortunately, hardly any of youse visit.... and I keep beer, tho I quit...
Trekking poles sure make it a lot easier on aging knees coming downhill with a loaded pack. I have some Leki's for trail hiking but have drifted into picking up good wooden poles as quieter and no problem to leave behind or abandon when not needed. Have shot a majority of critters off of some kind of pole in recent years.
Posted By: las Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/08/18
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I only use a single stick-homemade cedar. I don't want both of my hands full and it is great to lean binos on.

Missed your post first time thru.

Yes! I use Safari Sling, and need one hand for gun control.. Ditto binoc use at times.

Tried using tri-pod BOG pod shooting sticks as above.

Don't... Not designed for that....

I bought a pair of Leki for this year. I took some pretty good ribbing from my hunting buds. “Wheres yur ski’s at “ was the favorite. Well worth the ribbing as I never fell down once. Not much chance where I hunt of getting a shot at a deer if your walking so having my rifle in my packs gun bearer was not an issue. Those things really improved my balance and I went alot further beween stopping for a break. I had my doubts but I am sold on them. I also bought some Kennetrak gaiters this year as well. Had my doubts on them as well but they really worked out great also. I dont think I been as satified with two purchases since I bought a edge stock and a timney trigger for my rifle. Its nice to have things work out since I tend to spend on things that dont.
I like Leki poles

[Linked Image]
I've got a set of 4' and a set of 6' light weight, home made, shooting sticks that I double use for walking sticks that work out really well for me. (4' if I'm going to a stand to sit & 6' for still hunting). But I'm 68 and sure I don't go the distances many of you do.
I’m still waiting on the Big Brown Truck to deliver my Black Diamond Carbon sticks and the Leki poles i ordered. The post are making me think I made a good decision. 👍🏻😎
Las, you sound like a modern day Moses with makeshift staff in your paw...This season was the first time I really felt the 90lb quarter kicking my ass coming up and out of the draw. The pack out was a simple one compared to what I’m usually dealing with.

I was in good hunting shape. I knew what I was doing securing the meat to the frame. The only thing I can think of that caused me an issue was my personal pack frame was being used by a pard, who went up first with the other hind quarter plus the meat bag. He had over 100lb on my good frame. I went up with a cheapo frame that I have as a spare. There is a big difference in a quality meat frame versus a POS frame....Hint...I’m gonna spend some time this winter using the trekk poles. We’ll see if they’re still around for hunting next season...😎

You fail to mention the flatlander who probably only made it out alive because he had his “cheater poles”.

The only fault I find with your purchase is not waiting for me to send you a pair for Christmas!
I wouldn’t go on a hunt in rough terrain without them.

They are not just a “crutch” for flatlanders or older folks. They are tools that have earned their place in my gear.
Originally Posted by Cbeard64
I wouldn’t go on a hunt in rough terrain without them.

They are not just a “crutch” for flatlanders or older folks. They are tools that have earned their place in my gear.

This kind of sentiment would have been appreciated prior to the first North Coastal Elk Season. I’m pretty sure I was the only guy donning both a rifle and trekking poles for miles. Thankfully, I was either man enough or desperate enough to use them. They were a godsend.

I’m going to have to try a pair of Ultimate Direction’s 1 piece carbon fiber poles, especially now that sending them to Beaver would be redundant!

https://ultimatedirection.com/trekking-poles/
I been using one-piecers for a while now. Not them fancy-handled, wriststrap kind like kingstons. But your everyday golf-club handled carbon fiber cow pokers.

https://www.bigdweb.com/product/weaver+stierwalt+carbon+fiber+show+stick+54+inch.do
Let me know how you like the Ultimates...😎
Used Leki ‘Cristallo’ poles (actually just one pole) chasing bucks in PA and NY this year. It’s really great to have an extra point of contact with the ground, especially when going downhill or on rocky terrain. Just ordered Cascade Mountain Tech carbon cork poles. I’m sold.
Camofire has several Lekki poles on sale today.
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/09/18
For snowshoeing I have a pair of BD Carbon trekking poles. However, for backpacking and hunting I far and away prefer a single adjustable cane (think the security of an ice axe) that allows one hand to remain free.

[Linked Image]
Trekking poles reduce strain, pain and swelling in my knees when packing a load downhill, especially on a trail when I can stride out. They make a BIG difference for me. I use them constantly, up, down or sidehill.

I have some older Lekki's, and like them for hiking. For hunting, I prefer a wooden single stick, about head high length as someone else recommended (Las?). It is quieter than metal or synthetic when I inevitably bump things, is infinitely adjustable to terrain slopes, and it does not matter if I forget and leave it somewhere. In recent years I've used one pole for most shots on game. I often just pick up a suitable pole or two, and discard as the day progresses and my need for a pole changes. I have two in the garage now that have braced me for several animals and are begging me to keep them and make them real “gear.”

In the Pacific North West, wild hazelnut/filberts produce excellent hiking poles that are straight, the right diameter and lightweight once dried. White oak from the South is also good but heavy.
For those of us from the south, willow works great. It is light, strong, and available. The old timers used it to make flag poles; I have done the same for a number of carry use options.
Walking sticks aside.....it's the wrist strap that makes a trekking pole work for you.
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Walking sticks aside.....it's the wrist strap that makes a trekking pole work for you.

Absolutely, just like ski poles.
I used a pair on my first sheep hunt in 1998 - a combo rifle rest and pole which both eventually broke in the rocks. But that trip demonstrated the value they have for keeping balance on sidehills, slippery or muddy ground, fording streams, stabilizers when snowshoeing and whacking Devil's Club. Never went out west or subsequent trips to AK without them. I broke my last Leki years ago and now buy much cheaper versions. When they break, I don't feel so bad. The bottom line is that they are a valuable asset in the mountains.

Originally Posted by kingston

Yes, and some cut the straps off....
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yes, and some cut the straps off....

I wouldn't use mine without the straps.....the straps are there to cary your weight at the wrist
Due to an injury, trekking poles are now part of my life. I should have used them sooner.
I won't hunt without them. They will literally save your ass over and over again.

BD Trail or BD Alpine Carbon.

If you NEED an ice axe...bring one. If you're going to need crampons...bring them! Know how to use both!
Posted By: wwy Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/12/18
If I pack a ski/trekking pole it's usually a single BD Whippet. Similar to the cork handled number Brad posted, but an actual metal axe type head. The "pick" on it helps grab in all kinds of situations, especially helpful when chasing hounds through frozen rock piles. While no substitute for a real ice axe, it's pretty handy. I absolutely never use the straps due to past injuries and close calls. Doesn't matter if I'm skiing, hunting, or climbing. I don't cut the wrist straps off but I do not use them. This most likely comes from my skiing and climbing roots. I grip it like a cane when walking or climbing.
I don’t understand how a skiing background lends one to not use the straps. In my youth, I nordic skied recrecreationally and alpine skied competitively, pole straps were integral to both.

That said, I’ve never skied with BD Whippets mounted atop my pole grips or using ice axes as ski pole substitutes! Grin.

Those Whippets look menacing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I don’t understand how a skiing background lends one to not use the straps. In my youth, I nordic skied recrecreationally and alpine skied competitively, pole straps were integral to both.

That said, I’ve never skied with BD Whippets mounted atop my pole grips or using ice axes as ski pole substitutes! Grin.

Those Whippets look menacing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heck I want that just to grab crap out of the back of the pickup.

Should you be caught in an avalanche, the poles usually will stay on the surface if NOT attached to you to indicate the line that you are likely to be found. One may find it easier to use swim-like arm motions in an attempt to stay on the surface of the snow if unencumbered by the poles.

You also may avoid a dislocated shoulder if the poles become snagged in brushy areas should you happen to slip and fall if they are not attached to your wrists.
Posted By: wwy Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/12/18
^ mostly the ripping your shoulder out of socket/joint damage part for me. Same seems to be true when hiking in bad terrain. When/if I want rid of a ski pole/trekking pole I want rid of it, not tied to it. Do whatever works for you. I guess it was just a word of caution. And they are awesome for grabbing stuff out of the truck bed as mentioned above...
Both Kingston and Tedhorn pointed out NOT using the strap reduces the effective use of the poles. I’m sure YMMV is appropriate in this situation. Being a novice and never using them. I will try both ways, including using only one stick. I can see the benefits of trekking poles, especially after reading the posts of many who are avid hunters and spanning an age group which suggests young and old have benefited from having them...You all have been very helpful. Thank you for that...😎
Both Kingston and Tedhorn pointed out NOT using the strap reduces the effective use of the poles. I’m sure YMMV is appropriate in this situation. Being a novice and never using them. I will try both ways, including using only one stick. I can see the benefits of trekking poles, especially after reading the posts of many who are avid hunters and spanning an age group which suggests young and old have benefited from having them...You all have been very helpful. Thank you for that...😎

YouTube how to use the wrist strap and correct adjustment. Not ussing the strap IMO would reduce the poles effectiveness

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/13/18
One more reason I like a cane... wrist strap unnecessary. In fact, I take it off all mine.
I bought a cheap shooting stick at Wal-Mart which doubles as a trekking pole for me. I've got some balance issues due to a heart condition, and it makes a huge difference. For me. I plan on buying some actual trekking poles for now fall.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I bought a cheap shooting stick at Wal-Mart which doubles as a trekking pole for me. I've got some balance issues due to a heart condition, and it makes a huge difference. For me. I plan on buying some actual trekking poles for now fall.

Look over at Amazon

My wife and I field tested some poles marketed by Alpine Summit

With cork grips and strong flick locks we couldn't find a thing wrong with them as a matter of fact they seemed to be of a very high quality vs their low price point.

We had the option to keep them or return them........we kept both sets!!
The Leki poles I ordered shipped from the UK. It looked like they wouldn’t deliver before Christmas, so I ordered the Alpine Summit poles you tested from Amazon. Today the Leki’s showed up. AS poles deliver tomorrow. I’m keeping all of them. Wife will have a couple sets now too. The Leki poles are very nice! 😎
My next set I will probably try the cork grips. I got the foam grips on my first set. They are pretty good but I understand the cork is great.
Posted By: Brad Re: Trekking Poles for hunting??? - 12/14/18
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My next set I will probably try the cork grips. I got the foam grips on my first set. They are pretty good but I understand the cork is great.

The difference is quite real, just make sure yo get real cork... there are "quasi cork" handles out there that are just molded plastic with cork bits in the plastic. They're quite hard and not everyone likes them. Black Diamond uses real cork, no plastic admixture, at least on their more expensive models. Real cork is nice and soft in the hand.

Cork is the way to go... you won't know it till you try it...
Whatever style you buy, you will soon realize the benefit they are. In rocky terrain, I have broken or bent all the high end poles and will settle on moderately priced sets.
Straps are also a benefit as you can use your hand without losing the pole for a variety of tasks. Don't forget to match your baskets to the terrain you expect.
Trekking poles, snowshoes and an elk tag are about as good as it gets.
screw snowshoes....give me a good packhorse.
So do you boys prefer carbon or aluminum? My current set is aluminum and they seem very strong.
So do you boys prefer carbon or aluminum? My current set is aluminum and they seem very strong.

The carbon are lighter... I don't know if they're stronger... I've never broken either... my carbon ones have cork handles so I like them a little bit better...

Carbon for general travel, aluminum or alloys for potential deadman anchors in deep snow slopes.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
screw snowshoes....give me a good packhorse.

I have a good packhorse, his name is snowshoes. You can borrow him, but don't try to screw him, he won't have no truck with that......
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Carbon for general travel, aluminum or alloys for potential deadman anchors in deep snow slopes.

Deadman anchors?? Do you hunt woth formidilosus, or what?
My last backpack hunt would not have been possible without them. Have come to use them for most outings. Using flick-lock black diamonds now; plenty strong and not too pricey. Over the years, wore out some aluminum ones and had one set broken by a friend. I don't expect them to last forever. Can't count the number of times they have kept me out of trouble.
I have a set of Leki poles. I often use them 2hen hiking or even walking in town. I have rubber covers for the carbide tip. They stabilize and protect ankles from turning. They also help to excerise your arms and back.

I bought my girl friend a pair from Walmart. I was not sure how much she would use them. We both keep them in our vehicle to use when we go out for a hike.

As others have stated, they help both uphill and down.
© 24hourcampfire