Home
Posted By: SheriffJoe T I C K S - 10/04/19

Keep in mind that ticks are still active in cooler weather. Take the necessary precautions.

Would be interested in hearing about encounters with them or finding them on taken game.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: T I C K S - 10/04/19
Find them on deer often down here. More of a problem during turkey & dove, use use a good repellant and check yourself well at end of the day.

Lymes & Rocky Mtn Spotted are very bad news.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: T I C K S - 10/04/19
We find them all the time on deer we take in Wyoming!
Posted By: hanco Re: T I C K S - 10/05/19
Plenty in the Piney Woods down here.
Posted By: Region6 Re: T I C K S - 10/05/19
Here in Montana I primarily see them in the spring. Not uncommon on the deer and elk. The handful of spring bears, I have shot are covered with them.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
Hate a fuggin’ tick.

See them on deer but have never picked any off myself or the dogs out here.

Georgia was a different story. TIcks everywhere.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
What most people here call ticks on deer they shoot aren't ticks at all but rather deer keds.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19

Ticks aplenty here in PA, always a bunch on deer kills.
I try VERY hard to stay away from dried Ragweed as it’s usually loaded with ticks.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
I lived in Northern New York all my life, never saw a tick of any kind until about the late '80's. Now it's unusual to kill a deer there without at least a few ticks, usually around the neck, and sometimes you kill one with quite a few, maybe 10 or 15. I don't know anyone who hunts or gets out in the woods a lot that doesn't get an occasional tick. I've probably had 8 or 10 on me in the last 20 years.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
Between the dog and I we usually pick up a few every year. Hate those little bastards.
Posted By: Brad Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
In 2000 I won the lottery and got Colorado Tick Fever... awful.

Only 83 cases nationwide reported between 2002-2012...
Posted By: 1100RemingtonMan Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
When I was up Caribou Hunting in Alaska my Wife in Iowa was bitten by a tick and received Lyme’s disease with the classic bullseye rash. She was on antibiotic for 28 days.
So for us Iowa was more Dangerous
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
Place i hunt is called Tick Ridge for a reason. Have seen dozens on any deer killed before a killing freeze. Every year, every kill. Just part of hunting down South. That and the joy of Chiggers but that is another story.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: T I C K S - 10/06/19
I drove through Lyme Connecticut just the other day. We lost a setter in his prime due to Lyme 2 years ago. We see ticks every month and supposedly a winter with deep snow actually protects them. I have seen them on deer taken locally here in December.
Posted By: Tri70 Re: T I C K S - 10/07/19
Seed ticks are the worst! They look like dust with legs right now and I can’t wait till the first frost comes to kill them off!!
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: T I C K S - 10/07/19
Got them everywhere down here. Some areas worse than others. Permethrin everything heavy before season begins then sometimes repeat during season depending on what we see. Even with that might still find one on me.
Posted By: Windfall Re: T I C K S - 10/07/19
The ticks would be a nuisance, but what has me a little more spooked is that Eastern equine encephalitis (triple E) mosquito. Perfectly healthy people get bit and three days later they are brain dead with no known cure. I has croaked three people in Michigan including the U.P. and that is pretty close to WI.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: T I C K S - 10/07/19
Originally Posted by Windfall
The ticks would be a nuisance, but what has me a little more spooked is that Eastern equine encephalitis (triple E) mosquito. Perfectly healthy people get bit and three days later they are brain dead with no known cure. I has croaked three people in Michigan including the U.P. and that is pretty close to WI.

There is ALSO Tick-borne Encephalitis via the Powassan virus while not yet endemic is becoming a concern.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: T I C K S - 10/07/19

Be aware that ticks are frequently found on logs, tree trunks and especially leaf litter. At this time of the year, ticks have molted to the adult stage and are seeking their final blood meal so that the females are able to lay their eggs.

The majority of people don't recall their tick bite event.

Children under 10 and people aged 60-69 present the most cases of tick-borne diseases.
Posted By: Quak Re: T I C K S - 10/08/19
We loose them at the first frost so there already gone up here.

Had about 20 or 30 on me this year. Usually good for 5-10 or so...it was a wet spring and we had tons
Posted By: hawkmtn Re: T I C K S - 10/10/19
After close to 20 years of suffering various symptoms, I was diagnosed with 2 strains of Lyme plus 2 co-infections in August of this year.
Asked family Dr. to test me for Lyme 3 different times, 2 were negative. The third time we got into a pretty good argument over Lyme symptoms and my pain.
Thank you big medicine/insurance. After educating myself as much as possible on Lyme, I found a doctor that is very knowledgeable about Lyme disease,luckily he is only 25 miles from me. I’m on week 9 of antibiotics,2 prescriptions, and a anti parasitic medicine,with another 8 weeks of meds. Around week 5 I started to feel I was making progress. As of week 9, I’m feeling pretty good, hopefully this progress continues.
Lyme disease sucks big time, I urge anyone if you think you might have it, read up on the symptoms and find a Lyme literate dr.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: T I C K S - 10/10/19

Thanks for your input, hawkmtn.

9 weeks of antibiotics...wow!

The anti-parasitic medicine(s) for Babesia?

Yeah, there is much disagreement in the medical community between Infectious Disease doctors and LLMDs with these diseases.

Some of these diseases are in many cases hard to diagnose via serology test until 2 or more weeks after onset of the symptoms if at all !

Hoping you feel better and recover quickly.
Posted By: hawkmtn Re: T I C K S - 10/10/19
Yes, Babesia and Bartonella aka cat scratch fever. Yeah I wasn’t too thrilled with long term antibiotics but with a top
grade probiotic and serrapeptase I’m not having any ill effects from them,so far.
Lyme Dr’s opinion the standard elisa test is at best 30% effective and only if you have the bullseye rash or Bell’s palsy. Glad I found a good Lyme Dr. still it wasn’t going or isn’t going to keep me inside, archery season has begun here in Pennsyltucky and I’m out looking for something with antlers.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19
I lost a very good friend to a tick back in 2013. He got bit while cleaning up his yard after a thunderstorm. I still can’t hardly believe it. I get them on me every year. They were particularly bad during turkey season this year. Luckily, I haven’t seen one since June.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19

Condolences, wilkeshunter.

I read somewhere that turkey hunters can be at greater risks of tick encounters by leaning against trees while hunting.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I lost a very good friend to a tick back in 2013. He got bit while cleaning up his yard after a thunderstorm. I still can’t hardly believe it. I get them on me every year. They were particularly bad during turkey season this year. Luckily, I haven’t seen one since June.
Lymes?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19
I have killed 2 deer loaded with ticks. One time the temp was in the 30's the other was -10. Both from the same general area within a half mile of each other. I haven't shot any others with ticks to my knowledge.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have killed 2 deer loaded with ticks. One time the temp was in the 30's the other was -10. Both from the same general area within a half mile of each other. I haven't shot any others with ticks to my knowledge.

Assuming this was in MT, this is really weird to me as I don't ever recall shooting a deer in MT that had ticks on it. As I posted previously, some of them have had many deer keds, but never a tick. Not saying it couldn't happen though.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Assuming this was in MT, this is really weird to me as I don't ever recall shooting a deer in MT that had ticks on it. As I posted previously, some of them have had many deer keds, but never a tick. Not saying it couldn't happen though.

What's a deer ked? These were from a ranch on the north side of the Highwoods. The only place this has happened. My brother and his friends also shot deer there which were loaded with ticks. This was also over 20 years ago. I haven't hunted there since.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: T I C K S - 10/11/19
They're a louse fly that kinda looks like a tick. But keds have 6 legs instead of 8 like ticks.
I don't think I have ever seen those. Or maybe didn't know what to look for. Interesting.
© 24hourcampfire