Home
Posted By: bwinters Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
I'm looking at softshell vests to add to my clothing list for hunting and hiking. I do alot of still hunting and feel less restrained in a vest as an outer garment. I'm looking for minimum bulk, quiet, windproof. Sitka and Kuiu have the vest version of their Jetsream and Guide jackets which I'm looking at. Drake waterfowl gear has another. Others to consider? I'm not opposed to Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Outdoor Research, etc. Prefer non-camo but that isnt a deal killer for me.
Posted By: x2mosg Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Simms Fishing has a couple of nice vests. Patagonia or North Face are never a bad choice. I've got a Cabela's vest that I've had for 5-6 years that's awesome, but from my experience their quality has fallen off over the past few years. I wear vests as well. I hate having my arms tied up, or shoulders feeling bound.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Didnt think of Sims. I have a Sims dealer fly shop nearby. Thanks!
Posted By: aalf Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
I just bought the Jetstream vest, but haven't gave it a good workout yet.

I was looking for light, windproof, and quiet, and so far, no regrets.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Well, its camo, but you might want to check out the Kryptek Vellus vest. Its super quiet fleece and windproof/waterproof. I've had mine a year now and very pleased with it.

I have found the best prices at

www.bowhuntingoutlet.com
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Love my Patagonia and my Kuiu vests. Can’t go wrong with either
Which ones do you have for each brand?
Originally Posted by aalf

I have a Jetstream jacket and always lean Sitka first.
Posted By: 805 Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Kuiu Peloton 240 vest is what I settled on. Great in the wind and very comfy.
Posted By: x2mosg Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
Just looked back at Simms. They only have 2 choices. Not sure either is what you want. I thought they had more offerings. https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/mens/jackets
Posted By: handwerk Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/02/20
I get a lot of use out of my Patagonia nano puff vest.
I bought a Jestream closeout in whatever funky camo color they are purging. We'll see how it fits.
Posted By: aalf Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Originally Posted by bwinters
I bought a Jestream closeout in whatever funky camo color they are purging. We'll see how it fits.

That's what I bought too....ground forest camo....I kinda like it....
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Drake isn't an option for an active outerwear. I own a lot of it and it's fine for a stationary duck blind, but not for active outerwear.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Arcteryx Atom line
Posted By: bwinters Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Arcteryx Atom line

I have an Atom LT jacket and really like it. I have doubts the exterior shell would hold up to much timber hunting. I just bought more Tenacious Tape to fix my current puffys...... eek
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Look up Day One Camouflage. Been wearing their stuff for 20 years.
Posted By: rookieatbest Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20

Been using the Jetstream vest for a couple of seasons now and I really like it.
rookie
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
Duckworth......
Posted By: bwinters Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
I could like the Snowcrest.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/03/20
I'd look at KUIU, have many pieces of their stuff, very happy customer. I wear Patagonia nano puff (vest and jacket) daily but would think it too shiny/noisy for hunting.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-vests/

I'm looking at the Kenai Ultra.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by x2mosg
Simms Fishing has a couple of nice vests. Patagonia or North Face are never a bad choice. I've got a Cabela's vest that I've had for 5-6 years that's awesome, but from my experience their quality has fallen off over the past few years. I wear vests as well. I hate having my arms tied up, or shoulders feeling bound.

So, when you guys wear these windproof vests, what do you do about your exposed arms/sleeves? I have tried this approach with my Smart Wool & the wind cuts thru it easily. I assume your top sleeved layer is windproof as well?
Posted By: Tejano Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/13/20
I have not used the more recent options but have had great service from a number of fleece vests. If colder I have paired these with down or Patagonia micro puffs vest, wearing two vests at once. If severe conditions are likely a windproof outer layer goes over all. I am mixed on the wind shear vests as they work well but easy to get over heated in them. A dense Natural gear polar tech vest is a favorite as the dense fleece turns wind but breaths well. I have both versions of the Berber fleece and prefer the non wind shear version.

A dense 200-400 gram fleece or pile vest is very versatile, add a puffy down or synthetic and you will only need more in cold temps or for long sits. A wind/waterproof outer shell is advisable for any variable conditions. Don't discount wool either, I have really enjoyed both the Woolrich and Filson wool vests, there are many others that are good too.

One thing I have noticed about some of the soft shell outer wear is they are exactly that, soft, one trip through thorn brush renders them no better than a K-Mart green light special.
Posted By: x2mosg Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/21/20
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by x2mosg

So, when you guys wear these windproof vests, what do you do about your exposed arms/sleeves? I have tried this approach with my Smart Wool & the wind cuts thru it easily. I assume your top sleeved layer is windproof as well?

Honestly, I just feel constricted in a jacket. As long as I can keep my core warm, the rest takes care of itself. I own jackets, but seldom wear them, hunting or otherwise. My daily wear to work or out, below 45 degrees, is a flannel or chamois shirt over a short or long sleeve tee, depending on temps. Then a vest over that to keep my core warm. I'm warm-natured, so my arms don't typically get too cold as long as I'm somewhat active. Stand hunting I do prefer to cover my arms from the wind.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/21/20

https://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Ether-Driclime-Vest/dp/B07DYPHGMF

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/me...dwvar_1858631_variationColor=012#start=3

https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-M...G1EC397Z&refRID=SZJR0GRY5V7DG1EC397Z
Posted By: johnm856 Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/24/20
I picked up one of these this past Fall for a moose hunt. Worked well for me in the same ways you are looking for.

https://www.plythal.com/products/mid-season-vest
Posted By: Tejano Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/24/20
I have one like this with the wind stopper lining. It is good when it is really windy but a plain fleece or soft shell jacket is more versatile over a wider temperature range. It also works better as a mid layer. https://www.sierra.com/banded-atchafalaya-vest-for-men~p~752wu/?filterString=s~mens-vests%2F

Sierra had several others that might fit the bill. Most of the puffer or down vests are shiny which is too bad but some are not.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Soft shell vest? - 01/25/20
I've not found any of the soft shell or windproof fleece jackets or vests that were comfortable. I'd much rather have a much less expensive breathable fleece, or even thin down vest and carry a lightweight regular shell. When moving all of the softshells I've tried are too hot because they don't breathe. Then when I stop I'm damp with moisture.
© 24hourcampfire