Home
Posted By: matt_allen Hunt swap - 01/03/20
Does a hunt swap interest anyone? I’m not sure if this is right forum. I’m looking to shoot anything out of Midwest. We have good white tails and lots of pheasants. Will have a farm with standing corn and heated box blind for late muzzleloader season
Posted By: fremont Re: Hunt swap - 01/03/20
Actually a very cool idea.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Hunt swap - 01/03/20
I did many of these over a number of years and most worked out very, very well... but a couple notes of caution: every state looks at these differently. In Alaska they are illegal unless you are licensed as a guide or transporter. Many states have many different rules about what constitutes guiding and you need to be careful about how you do it.

Off the top of my head, I did swaps in AZ, NM, MI, LA, MS, FL, OR, TX, WY, MT... and had a bunch of good times.
Posted By: matt_allen Re: Hunt swap - 01/04/20
That’s Sitka. I would have a tag as well so In Iowa we are allowed to hunt together.
Posted By: duckster Re: Hunt swap - 01/04/20
Good idea for a whole forum dedicated to swaps
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hunt swap - 01/04/20
I would swap a fishing trip for a hunting trip. Or a beach house for a week with a vehicle.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Hunt swap - 01/05/20
Anyone up for a whitetail trip in GA or a saltwater fishing trip off the coast of GA/SC?

Would like to try a hunt west of the Mississippi for wt, mule, pronghorn, or elk. No big trophies just meat or cull bucks/bulls. Something that's a challenge but not an ass kicker physically.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Hunt swap - 01/05/20
Great idea for a new forum...
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Hunt swap - 01/05/20
I would swap elk/whitetail/duck/geese/wolf/black bear for a hog/alligator hunt! just buddies getting together, no guiding as such.
even have spare rooms upstairs!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Hunt swap - 01/05/20
Good idea I've done myself, but a person needs to use good judgement.
Posted By: KC Re: Hunt swap - 01/07/20
I've been involved in 8 or 10 swap hunts over the years. Mostly I invited the out-of-stater to join us in our elk camp. Showed them a map and made suggestions. Just some guys getting together to hunt. No real guiding or outfitting involved. I always expected the guest to do his share of the work and pay his share of the cost. But I never accepted money from the guest. Mostly so-so outcomes. A couple of good experiences and a couple not so good. Kind of like hunting I guess.

There use to be a swap hunt forum but it seemed like a lot of people were asking a lot and not offering much in return. They would ask for a week-long elk hunt and in return they would offer a weekend of pheasant hunting or fishing. It eventually got overwhelmed with those kinds of offers. It lasted for about a year and eventually they just shut it down.

I think a good forum might consist of posting that I would like to hunt XXX?? whatever. I met my best hunting buddy on just such a hunt. I posted that I was looking for companions on an Alaska hunt. Hooked up with three other guys and we went on a fly-in float hunt. Had a great time. Maybe call it hunt companions forum?

Posted By: Joe_Schmo Re: Hunt swap - 01/07/20
Great idea. Lots of good people out there!!
Posted By: kingfisher Re: Hunt swap - 01/10/20
I have 8 elk points for WY, I would trade walleye fishing Saginaw Bay, St Marys for atlantics and a week hunting MI whitetail in NW MI on private ground rifle or archery.
Posted By: ribka Re: Hunt swap - 01/10/20
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I would swap elk/whitetail/duck/geese/wolf/black bear for a hog/alligator hunt! just buddies getting together, no guiding as such.
even have spare rooms upstairs!

I’ll trade you a Hayden Idaho deer hunt forA Bonner’s Ferry deer hunt. 🤠
Posted By: ribka Re: Hunt swap - 01/10/20

KC. Have any WY points? I’m looking to use mine this year or a few of my Colorado points.

Originally Posted by KC
I've been involved in 8 or 10 swap hunts over the years. Mostly I invited the out-of-stater to join us in our elk camp. Showed them a map and made suggestions. Just some guys getting together to hunt. No real guiding or outfitting involved. I always expected the guest to do his share of the work and pay his share of the cost. But I never accepted money from the guest. Mostly so-so outcomes. A couple of good experiences and a couple not so good. Kind of like hunting I guess.

There use to be a swap hunt forum but it seemed like a lot of people were asking a lot and not offering much in return. They would ask for a week-long elk hunt and in return they would offer a weekend of pheasant hunting or fishing. It eventually got overwhelmed with those kinds of offers. It lasted for about a year and eventually they just shut it down.

I think a good forum might consist of posting that I would like to hunt XXX?? whatever. I met my best hunting buddy on just such a hunt. I posted that I was looking for companions on an Alaska hunt. Hooked up with three other guys and we went on a fly-in float hunt. Had a great time. Maybe call it hunt companions forum?

Posted By: 1minute Re: Hunt swap - 01/10/20
Great idea, but it's getting more difficult every day to secure tags in some states. Especially so for a non-resident.
Posted By: 805 Re: Hunt swap - 01/10/20
Great idea! I’ve been involved in a few swap/trades and have made some great friendships through it also.
Willing to trade a custom rifle for hunts if anyone wants to chat PM me.
Posted By: KC Re: Hunt swap - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by ribka

KC. Have any WY points? I’m looking to use mine this year or a few of my Colorado points.

ribkka:

I've hunted antelope and whitetails in NE WY a couple of times. But I'm not collecting points. Sorry.

I have to see how my recovery from surgery develops before I make any plans.

KC
Posted By: SAKO270WSM Re: Hunt swap - 01/14/20
Man I would love to do a mule deer or elk, shoot even white tail out in the mid west, but could only offer tree rats, hogs and billions of skeeters.
Posted By: jowens Re: Hunt swap - 02/08/20
If any one is interested in swapping mule deer, elk, Bear (western hunt) for multiple turkey(s) and trout fishing let me know.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Hunt swap - 02/11/20
Just be extra careful about $.
MT fish and game considers tips and even gas money as payments and thereby unlawful outfitting.
One of the local hutterites was trading hunting for Mountain Dew. Trading that and his resident tags got Sammy in trouble.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Hunt swap - 03/24/20
I can offer you a fully guided high quality trophy Axis deer archery hunt in west Texas on 5K low fenced acres. Plenty of huge bucks and I will set you up well, but it is definitely a hunt and not canned by any means. You may also shoot all the does you can harvest. This property has been archery only for a couple decades or more. Hunt will need to take place during the spring and summer only and will have to be done around my regular work schedule, as this place is very lightly hunted, mostly by myself and a select few friends that I guide for my friend who is the landowner.

I am interested in any hunts or high end fishing trips, mainly out west.
Posted By: WL205 Re: Hunt swap - 02/09/22
Surprised this thread never really went anywhere...

I've got more points than I need to draw an Iowa deer tag, got a few feelers out for a place to hunt but keeping my options open.

I'm sure these acorn fed Ozark deer would be of no interest to the mid-westerner, but we got hogs, both eastern and rio gobbleheads, and the biggest paddlefish in the world.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Hunt swap - 02/09/22
This is my first time seeing it.
I've got great walleye fishing a short drive to the Missouri river, prairie chickens,pheasants with the occasional sharptail and whitetails on 160 acres I own. Would like to hunt Gators or something I haven't hunted before.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Hunt swap - 02/10/22
If anyone is going to be in western WA, shoot me a line. I always have open seats available for salmon fishing and crabbing in the summer.
© 24hourcampfire