Home
Posted By: 100grNP If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
To spend on a hunt this fall what would you pursue? I received a lil bonus at work and would really like to treat myself to a small get away.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
2k don’t get you much.

A cow hunt in Oregon, 100% success rate.

And welcome to the fire.

P
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
I’d just use it for gas in my boat and go get my moose and caribou for “free”.
Posted By: swamphunter Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
You can do a hog hunt down south for that. Lot's of fun and tasty pork to bring home for family and friends.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Where are you located? Is there any animal you've always dreamed of?
Posted By: 100grNP Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
I'm in Tennessee. Guess I've always kinda had in my head. 500.00 for fuel, 500.00 for license, tags and paying a trespass fee for some decent mule deer country. If things like that still exist.
Posted By: jdunham Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
2k don’t get you much.

A cow hunt in Oregon, 100% success rate.

And welcome to the fire.

P

I like your thinking. When I read the title I immediately thought I would use it to go hunt somewhere. Tough to do much with 2K these days but would probably put a deposit on a decent hunt. A cow elk hunt would be a great option. Should be a great experience and a freezer full of great meat.

I say that as a guy that loves elk hunting and the meat. A mule deer hunt is another great idea and doable if you are a doing it yourself.
Posted By: peeshooter Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
https://www.outdoorlife.com/top-10-diy-western-hunts/#page-2
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
If you have never hunted out west I would recommend a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Should be easy to do it for $2000 and you will have more or less a guaranteed hunt if your not overly picky on trophy quality. It’s such a fun and unique hunt compared to eastern hunting. Plus you should see plenty of animals which will keep you excited the whole time. That is not always true for other species out west. And personally I think pronghorn is delicious
Posted By: Dre Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
my buddy dos a 3 day cow hunt in utah on a ranch for $1000 includes lodging/food.. After tags/license, drive time/gas, you'd be right there at 2
Posted By: Filaman Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by swamphunter
You can do a hog hunt down south for that. Lot's of fun and tasty pork to bring home for family and friends.

Man! For $1000 I can take you hog hunting here in the middle of the Texas Coastal bend, I won't guaranty your success because when it comes down to it, you're in control of that. I won't shoot it for you but I can put you where you can kill a hog.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Not sure there is much trespass stuff for mule deer any more... Guides have grabbed that up.. But you can do a cow elk hunt for that price.. A friend and I did a couple out of Wheatland, Wy. Fairly easy for a couple 70 year olds.. Antelope would be a fun deal.. But I have been trying to get my step daughters a permit for a couple years.. Times have changed, but in other areas of Wy. It is not so tough.. We are going for hogs in Texas this spring if all works out ... Fun hunt, you can shoot several, and the pork is good.. You also could try for a couple doe antelope permits.. Not as tough to draw, and they make excellent jerky...
Posted By: DollarShort Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Small game and trout in Colorado. And a few days at a ranch in south or west Texas.
Posted By: Filaman Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by 100grNP
To spend on a hunt this fall what would you pursue? I received a lil bonus at work and would really like to treat myself to a small get away.

You want to kill a hog let me know. Send me a pm. filaman. I'm in Texas. And other than your transportation costs, it won't cost you $2000. In fact I might can get you on a waterfowl hunt too for a couple hundred extra if you do it soon.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Cow elk hunt. Antelope in Wyoming.

Nice lease access for big whitetail.

DIY elk somewhere.

Bear in Maine.

Some options

-Jake
Dunno where you are, but probably buy some prime whitetail access, either as a trip or a lease. F course, I love that kind of hunting.
Posted By: 30338 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Kind of a different deal. For that kind of money I've done some incredible back country canoe trips in Quetico Provincial Park. That price includes airfare, rental car, canoe rental, park passes, fishing licenses, etc. Not saying its for everyone but it is world class smallmouth and walleye fishing.

Other than that, I'd use it for travel costs to WY and go for antelope if you have not yet.
Posted By: 1minute Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Won't get one much with the expenses of getting to Alaska, so maybe Wyoming for pronghorn, deer, and elk but do it yourself.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Antelope in Wyoming.

I second that notion
Posted By: Andy3 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
$2K wont buy much in the big game/guided world, plus I'm spoiled with DIY, here in Idaho.

IF it were me, I'd look into one of those fancy pheasant lodges in SD, and take a hunting buddy or 2.

Andy3
Posted By: moosemike Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Nothing. I was just at the Great American Outdoors show today and can verify the $2K will get you nothing worthwhile.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Do a self guided mule deer/antelope hunt in north central Wyo. Lots of BLM.
Deer $389 Antelope $341 usually leftover tags for both but if you apply in May you should be able to draw a regional mule deer tag good in several units and a specific antelope unit. Look at a BLM map north of Casper to Sheridan and east to Sundance. If you can glass and shoot you should be ok. Stay in a motel or camp done both lots of times.

Also some ranchers will let you hunt for a few hundred bucks if you not adverse to knocking on a few doors. A lot of them lease out their ground to outfitters as well.
Posted By: BRISTECD Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Maybe a nilgai hunt in South TX
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by 30338
Kind of a different deal. For that kind of money I've done some incredible back country canoe trips in Quetico Provincial Park. That price includes airfare, rental car, canoe rental, park passes, fishing licenses, etc. Not saying its for everyone but it is world class smallmouth and walleye fishing.

Other than that, I'd use it for travel costs to WY and go for antelope if you have not yet.

That sounds like such an awesome idea.
Posted By: ammoman16 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
2k would pretty well cover a DIY public land western hunt for Deer and/or elk including tags, fuel, lodging if you need it. Tag season has begun so you may want to start getting applications in. If you don't already have the gear needed you may want to put it towards getting the right gear and plan a hunt for next year.
Posted By: Judman Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Montana big game combo, few days for muleys, head to sw montana, Dillon or Ennis for a bull...
Posted By: AB2506 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Antelope in Wyoming.
Posted By: Judman Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Montana big game combo, few days for muleys, head to sw montana, Dillon or Ennis for a bull...

And apply for antelope, you could have a great time, $1200 for all 3 tags, done right you could have a shiitload of fun in the best state in the USA.. it’ll take a couple weeks though
Posted By: hanco Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Come to Texas, kill some of these damn pigs
Posted By: SuperCub Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
2k don’t get you much.

No it won't but it would be a good start towards a moose hunt in Newfoundland.
Posted By: MJones Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
I would like to do an antelope hunt in Wyoming but I'm totally confused on the tag buying process and figuring out where to go . I don't have much camping gear left and cant afford a wild goose chase or the time off to waste . If there is anybody on here who could fill me in pm me and I will give you my cell number .Kinda hard for a guy going by himself .

$2K can go a long ways on a DIY Public Land Hunt.

As others have already said $2K on a guided hunt is more like a deposit.

Montana would be a great place to DIY Mule Deer. OnX maps is your friend! You can get more than just a week or whatever of hunting out of it by researching and preparing for the actual hunt from now until the time comes to make the trip. It will be much more rewarding to you as well. Provided you are not holding out for a Trophy Mule Deer Eastern MT would be a pretty easy place to fill your tag.

Good luck to you in whatever path you decide to take.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
I suggest a hunt for fallow deer at a reputable hunting ranch. Check for first hand reviews if you can.
- Larger acreage = more challenging hunt.
- Hunt with an iron-sighted levergun to shorten your lethal shooting distance = more challenging hunt.

Many years ago, I hunted red stag and fallow deer in Spain. But the fallow buck was more challenging because of the terrain. My farthest shot was presented after a long stalk in steep country; distance was about 125 yards or so. My hunt was conducted with a rented 7.9mm Mauser rifle and it performed quite well. This rifle was fitted with a ghost ring receiver sight and ivory bead. I had a great time!

Good hunting to you!

Sherwood
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Axis
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Should be able to do Maine bear over bait for that. Hounds would be more. should be able to do snowshoe hares over the guides hounds for 200 a day. Hunt a few days and have plenty of money to get there. Just mentioned the hares incase your heart isn't set on big game but you want a get away.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by MJones
I would like to do an antelope hunt in Wyoming but I'm totally confused on the tag buying process and figuring out where to go . I don't have much camping gear left and cant afford a wild goose chase or the time off to waste . If there is anybody on here who could fill me in pm me and I will give you my cell number .Kinda hard for a guy going by himself .

I would suggest joining Epic Outdoors magazine and emag for $100 a year. Those guys live in Utah and hunt the entire west. They are a great source of information for any Western hunt esp. public land antelope in Wyo. During the application periods, which is now, throughout the west they do a monthly breakdown of each state. Application fees, season dates, break down of best areas for archery, rifle, etc. for each animal.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
You can get a New Mexico private land cow elk hunt for just under that amount but you will still have to fork over money for the tag, tip, hotel, food and fuel to get there.....processing $$ if you so choose
Posted By: 1bigdude Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Pa. OTC tags non resident $120 come at the right time you can hunt deer black bear with bow or mz. Tons of public land lots of anterless tags. My family has lots of private average in north central Pa. hunt bow in October or early Nov. Rifle after Thanksgiving for deer and bear.
We will put you up in our camp with us you pay share of food your own drinks. We hunt from Oct 1 thru mid Dec. In a week you should get 2does and a buck if you are not too picky on bucks. We pass anything under 125" and someone always gets a bear sometimes a couple.
You give us whatever you want to we do not ask for money but it helps with taxes or swap us a hunt in Tenn.
Posted By: jkinpa Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
Pa. OTC tags non resident $120 come at the right time you can hunt deer black bear with bow or mz. Tons of public land lots of anterless tags. My family has lots of private average in north central Pa. hunt bow in October or early Nov. Rifle after Thanksgiving for deer and bear.
We will put you up in our camp with us you pay share of food your own drinks. We hunt from Oct 1 thru mid Dec. In a week you should get 2does and a buck if you are not too picky on bucks. We pass anything under 125" and someone always gets a bear sometimes a couple.
You give us whatever you want to we do not ask for money but it helps with taxes or swap us a hunt in Tenn.

Can you PM me further information please?
Posted By: efw Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/09/20
I'm in Tennessee. Guess I've always kinda had in my head. 500.00 for fuel, 500.00 for license, tags and paying a trespass fee for some decent mule deer country. If things like that still exist.

As has been said, Trespass fee arrangements are rare but there are lots of DIY options available for $2k.

Do you have points?

If not, Idaho is your huckleberry.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/10/20
https://www.rockymountainhunting.com

Trespass fee hunting in Colorado. I don’t know anything about the price structure. But I’d bet $2000 would go pretty far.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/10/20
I think some of you all are placing the bar a bit higher than it needs to be. I've done several DIY hunts in various states for around $2000 or less, all in. I've killed 3 caribou in Alaska for not a whole lot more. I will be chasing barbary sheep in New Mexico next week, and all together I'll bet I have $1000-$1200 into it including flights, car rental and licenses. It is a draw hunt though and I'm splitting the vehicle rental with two others so take that into account.

Elk hunts in some states are doable for less than $2000. The tags would be the most expensive part especially if you take the wife's prius that gets 50 MPG. You rarely need a pickup for elk or mule deer, IMO.

I'll bet I could hunt sitka blacktail in SE Alaska for $2000.
$1000 flight, $150 for a license, $300 for a tag and $350 to rent a small SUV for 4-5 days. Buy a cheap cooler at Walmart there for the meat, and you're golden. Sleep next to the vehicle or in it if it's raining. Another $100 for a motel the night before you leave for a shower and $100 for various incidentals. If a guy doesn't need luxury, DIY hunts are not too expensive.
The flights from all the way in Tennessee may put a guy over that $2000 threshold though. Not sure.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/10/20
Mallards and giant Canada geese for 3 days all inclusive in eastern Kansas.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/11/20
If you like wing shooting, a semi guided hunt or DIY hunt in SD is a must do. It’s loaded with pheasants .Pm me for lodge/guide info. We stayed in a farm house (the lodge) and hunted private land plus also stayed in a motel and did a DIY on government leased land. We were successful in both scenarios ,but saw more birds on the private land with standing crops/cover. Wear really good shoes and be prepared to walk a lot.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/11/20
Tag
Posted By: country_20boy Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/11/20
TAG
Posted By: tzone Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/11/20
$2000 will get you a bunch if you do a little research. But, you're not going to get your mulie hunt lined up like you're looking for. If you're willing to go public land, sleep in cheap hotels, eat sammichs and instant oatmeal, there are plenty of cool options.
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nothing. I was just at the Great American Outdoors show today and can verify the $2K will get you nothing worthwhile.

That's because you talked to clowns at a outdoors show.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

$2K can go a long ways on a DIY Public Land Hunt.

As others have already said $2K on a guided hunt is more like a deposit.

Montana would be a great place to DIY Mule Deer. OnX maps is your friend! You can get more than just a week or whatever of hunting out of it by researching and preparing for the actual hunt from now until the time comes to make the trip. It will be much more rewarding to you as well. Provided you are not holding out for a Trophy Mule Deer Eastern MT would be a pretty easy place to fill your tag.

Good luck to you in whatever path you decide to take.

Yep.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: If you had 2000.00 - 02/11/20
I would seriously look at a DIY WY antelope hunt. Lots of public land & lots of antelope & the weather is usually good. The bucks are not going to be B&C class but so what. It's a fun hunt. Plus you may also be able to get some does tags. So the fun does end with 1 trigger pull. The wife & I both like antelope over mule deer. I would call WY fish & game---they should be able to walk you thru the application process.
Posted By: Bater Re: If you had 2000.00 - 03/15/20
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
If you have never hunted out west I would recommend a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Should be easy to do it for $2000 and you will have more or less a guaranteed hunt if your not overly picky on trophy quality. It’s such a fun and unique hunt compared to eastern hunting. Plus you should see plenty of animals which will keep you excited the whole time. That is not always true for other species out west. And personally I think pronghorn is delicious

This ^^^^^^
Posted By: Downstream Re: If you had 2000.00 - 03/15/20
How about a mule deer and cow elk hunt in montana. Plenty of decent bucks on bma properties and state or blm if you wait for the rut to get them visible. Lots of cow elk can also be found at that time. Two K should go a long way on that type of hunt, in fact I see lots of guys do just that thing each year. Good luck.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: If you had 2000.00 - 03/16/20
TP.
Posted By: persiandog Re: If you had 2000.00 - 03/16/20
invest in IWS and spy
Posted By: BigNate Re: If you had 2000.00 - 03/20/20
Buy stock with it now, you can probably double your money in short order.
© 24hourcampfire